Post by biggdowgg »

Portsmouth 66 gallia 52

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #10

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto 66
Southeastern 63

Unioto shot 17-32 from the line tonight. Gabe Fisher became the 7th different Sherman to lead the team in scoring this year with a career high 18 tonight and possibly had the stat line of the night. An 80% FT shooter who had only made 1 3 on the year, was 3-4 from 3 and 3-11 from the stripe tonight. Besides the story from the line, Fisher had an outstanding all around game. SE knocked down 9 3s to stay in the game, but the Shermans were able to pull it out. It was a good game. Glad the Shermans are done with road games until next Winter, that's for sure.

Zane Trace's Pierce Mowery had 45 tonight, including 31 in the 2nd half, as ZT won their 8th straight ball game. He's now at 1600 points and 4th all time in the SVC.

Westfall survives in overtime at the Dome over Piketon, 60-58. Piketon is primed to pull off an upset in the tournament. They only lost by a point to Adena (their first round opponent) in their last meeting.

BlueDuck
Riding the Bench

Post by BlueDuck »

danicalifornia wrote:Unioto 66
Southeastern 63

Unioto shot 17-32 from the line tonight. Gabe Fisher became the 7th different Sherman to lead the team in scoring this year with a career high 18 tonight and possibly had the stat line of the night. An 80% FT shooter who had only made 1 3 on the year, was 3-4 from 3 and 3-11 from the stripe tonight. Besides the story from the line, Fisher had an outstanding all around game. SE knocked down 9 3s to stay in the game, but the Shermans were able to pull it out. It was a good game. Glad the Shermans are done with road games until next Winter, that's for sure.

Zane Trace's Pierce Mowery had 45 tonight, including 31 in the 2nd half, as ZT won their 8th straight ball game. He's now at 1600 points and 4th all time in the SVC.

Westfall survives in overtime at the Dome over Piketon, 60-58. Piketon is primed to pull off an upset in the tournament. They only lost by a point to Adena (their first round opponent) in their last meeting.
Got to hear Adena vs ZT on WKKJ. In all my years listening to the guys from 94 Country, Mowery had the most dominating one man effort I have ever listened to an SVC boy have. Ever.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

BlueDuck wrote:
danicalifornia wrote:Unioto 66
Southeastern 63

Got to hear Adena vs ZT on WKKJ. In all my years listening to the guys from 94 Country, Mowery had the most dominating one man effort I have ever listened to an SVC boy have. Ever.
I have a lengthy drive tomorrow morning, so I'm planning on downloading the podcast and listening to the call of it! Sounds like it was an epic performance.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Going to be tough to keep Valley above Minford after the Falcons beating them both head to heads this season.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Minford takes care of business beating Valley for a second time. Shows the strength of the SOC2. Top 5 teams could beat each other on any given night. Burg and Oak Hill beat Minford. Waverly split with Burg and Oak Hill (home & home) and was tied with Minford with a minute to play. Waverly/Valley was a 3 point game with a minute to play.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

smurray wrote:Minford takes care of business beating Valley for a second time. Shows the strength of the SOC2. Top 5 teams could beat each other on any given night. Burg and Oak Hill beat Minford. Waverly split with Burg and Oak Hill (home & home) and was tied with Minford with a minute to play. Waverly/Valley was a 3 point game with a minute to play.

... lots of "parity" in the high school hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line as a whole this season ... as a higher seed in the Survive & Advance Season it would make sleeping at night before a game vs a lesser seed extremely uneasy ! ... gotta love high school hoops !

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Warren 56
Logan 54 final

... a high school basketball atmosphere like no other - the Warrior Dome - seats 900 ... 200 visitors & 700 home fans ... a Big Bad Blue student section that went from the floor to the top of their section ... visitor fans complaining about the size of the gym, the seating space, lack of a student section seating , the officials , the 100 degree temps in the gym - yep a high school league championship game - perfect ! LOL ... the Game ? it didn't disappoint either ... 2 good high school teams battling for 32 minutes , 2 teams who took over periods of the game either to take the lead, get back into the game or take the lead again - yeah it was one of those games - IF you are a true hoops fan you had a smile on your face the entire game !!!

...In quarter 1, the same teams - Warren vs Logan which played in Logan 6 days prior were playing but the "same" teams would not be playing each other on the floor - as Warren would be without starting guard Kyler Dennis due to a reoccurring health issue ... Logan +1 Warren -1 pregame ! ... as Coach Maddox said prior to the game - no excuses, "we at least had one day to prepare to play without Kyler in the lineup" ... if you watched game #1 of this series - Logan was able to take away the Warren perimeter game - I was looking to see adjustments by both teams vs game 1 in Logan ... Warren was able to double the number of 3's it posted in game 1 in Logan IN the first quarter of action as Brice Gandee dropped 2 treys on the Purple Defense totaling 8 points in the quarter (which was 1 three and a point more than he scored in the opening game) - adjustment #1 made by WHS ... find outside scoring other than Hall/Dennis - check ... for Logan in quarter one - the aggressive , confidence of game one needed to continue for game #2 on the road - check as the Logan seniors Sam Evans (6 pts), Isaiah Smith (2) and Lane Little (3 with a triple) hit the boards,attacked the rim, and looked to continue to expose the lack of Warren perimeter D from game one - check ... Logan 11 Warren 12 end of one ...

... quarter 2 was a defensive battle with Logan being held to 2 fg's while Warren could muster but 3 fg's ... the difference in the 2nd was Warren attacking the rim ... when you attack the rim in high school hoops usually good things happen - in this case Warren took advantage of the LHS aggressiveness on D in the paint - Logan picked up fouls, Warren got to the line going 8/10 from the FT line in the 2nd period ...Logan settled for perimeter shots putting up 9 treys in the first half/6 in the 2nd quarter vs 4 by Warren 1 in the 2nd quarter ... Logan 18 Warren 27 at intermission ...

... Quarter 3 ... ended with Logan having outscored Warren 17-14 ... Warren had taken a 29-18 lead at the 6:30 mark of the 3rd ... in the next 2 minutes and 21 seconds Logan outscored the Warriors 13-2 to draw even with Warren 31-31 ... Logan's barrage came in the form of seniors Isaiah Smith & Lane Little ... in the 2:21 of game clock - the LHS senior duo combined for 13 points ... 3 triples (2 Little/1 Smith) ... forced 4 Warren turnovers (3 Smith interceptions) ... 31-31 4:09 to go in the 3rd ... good teams weather storms - in tight basketball games there are many storms or in hoops lingo "runs" ... Warren weathered the Logan 13-2 run ... in the last 4:09 of the 3rd Warren answered with it's own run - led by Luke Drayer - the man for WHS all night long - the Warriors attacked the rim again, with fast break points, with drives on the baseline by the time those of us in the Cheap Seats took our next breath Warren had gone on a 10-4 run to close out the quarter , regaining the lead ... Logan 35 Warren 41 end of 3 ...

... the final period was a battle of the two players who went at it all night on the floor - Luke Drayer for Warren & Lane Little for Logan ... Drayer's defensive assignment was L. Little ... full court, all night , face to face ... the 4th quarter was as good a battle as you will find in high school hoops - Lane Little took the Chiefs on his shoulders - draining 3 treys ... assisted in forcing 6 WHS turnovers ... Luke Drayer answered with 8 points for the Warriors getting his on drives to the rim & getting to the line ... with the ongoing battle on the floor ... the difference in the final score came down to a player who never clocked a second of game time - Austin Barta , freshman - was inserted in the lineup to shoot 2 FTs for injured PG Seth Hall ... the freshman knocked down both FTs/was quickly replaced for the remaining 2 minutes plus of the game ... Warren 56 Logan 54 final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "Unofficial" Napkin Stats - Logan ...

Scoring ... Lane Little 20, Sam Evans 14, Isaiah Smith 9, Bo Myers 6, Cole Baron 3, Kory Henthorne 2

3 Pointers ...10/23 ... Lane Little 6, Bo Myers 2, Coal Baron 1, Isaiah Smith 1

FT's ... 4/6

TOs ... 9

... not sure if you will find, can find a better all around PG than Lane Little ... the young man has grown as a player in just one season ... he has learned the nuances of the position, he defends as well as anyone, scores from anywhere - off the dribble, from behind the arc ... Lane Little is in my top 5 players in SEOhio hoops this season - outstanding player ...

... Pfloyd's Official "Unofficial" Napkin Stats - Warren ...

Scoring ... Luke Drayer 22, Brice Gandee 11, Josh Huffman 7, Seth Hall 6, Chase Weihl 6, Mason Pilkey 2, Austin Barta 2

3 pointers ... 4/7 ... Brice Gandee 3, Seth Hall 1

FT's ... 14/24

TOs ... 12

... great high school basketball game !!! the leagues champs split their series , both holding serve on their home court ... this played out exactly the way it should have - coming down to one or the two top teams having to beat the other top league team on their court to win the SEOAL ... didn't happen ... a tie at the top ... Congratulations to both teams, coaches, all the players on their shared league championship !

... it was an interesting evening at the Warrior Dome ... I walked into the gym , ran into Coach Maddox, Coach Mitchem for Warren shook hands/chatted/ "glad you could make it" kind of stuff before getting to one of the "valuable" seats for 3 games - before I could sit down I shook hands with 5 or 6 Warren faithful whom I call friends - all congratulating me on my good news of being "cancer free" ... just saying "hello" , "good to see ya" ... some had offered to get me tickets had I not been able to get tickets in Logan for the game ... great people in the Blue & White ... one of the Warren Warriors from last season Andrew Henthorn was there to shake my hand - said he knew I would be in the stands somewhere , just wanted to say hello to pfloyd ... I finally got to sit down, the first thing I heard from 2 Logan fans - one said "is't this the first road game you've gone to this year? " - another said " maybe they (the Warren fans) have a seat for you on the other side" ... always nice to see our friends from Warren though ...

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Sounded like a dandy ,always loved seeing the Trojans play at Warren.

To bad we did not get to see the Lane Little/ky're Allison match up this year :(

Good luck in the tourney hope to see both teams at the convo,we do get to see Warren tonight as we are going to minford for what should be a great game

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

That one - Minford vs Warren should be a good one ! - enjoy ! I'm heading for Vinton County tonight for the VC vs Meigs matchup ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

"I finally got to sit down, the first thing I heard from 2 Logan fans - one said "is't this the first road game you've gone to this year? " - another said " maybe they (the Warren fans) have a seat for you on the other side"

LOL ... Seat on the Warren side??? What's next, a dancing blue hippo???

bball30
Freshman Team

Post by bball30 »

93Bulldog wrote:"I finally got to sit down, the first thing I heard from 2 Logan fans - one said "is't this the first road game you've gone to this year? " - another said " maybe they (the Warren fans) have a seat for you on the other side"

That just proves that pfloyd is ecumenical....he belongs to ALL of SE Ohio hoops! Probably should get some kind of golden pass to any and all games in the area with special reserved "cheap seats" seating in all arenas.
Now if I just get him to transfer a little of that enthusiasm to the Bobcats...............we could arrange extra special Convo seating!

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Letsgopsu........I'm not as good as pfloyd with his napkin stats.
The house was packed at FU for the rematch. Right from the start FU went inside to the big boy,Woodside, and got Carroll's 2 bigs in major foul trouble. It was still only a 1 pt game at halftime. Start of the second half FU started to take control and stretched the lead out to double digits. Carroll had 2 guys foul out and still made a few runs to stay within reach . In the 4th Senior Green made a couple big 3s and Woodside continued to dominate as FU hung on to win by 6.
Woodside had 22 and Green had 21. Now they need to finish strong tonight against Circleville at their place to get at least a tie for the league title. Carroll has 2 league games left, so you never know.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote:"I finally got to sit down, the first thing I heard from 2 Logan fans - one said "is't this the first road game you've gone to this year? " - another said " maybe they (the Warren fans) have a seat for you on the other side"

... Logan "fans" do not like the purple hippo/pfloyd ... pretty sure I've supported the Chiefs as much as anyone for 34 years now - I would bet that not many Logan fans read anything the purple hippo posts LOL ... oh well - can't please everyone even the home fans sometimes or most times ... the one Loganite was insinuating that since I hadn't gone to other Logan away games that I shouldn't be taking up a seat that other Logan fans should be sitting in LOL ... hey I can't help it if the only good teams in the SEOAL are Warren & Logan ! LOL I saw both of those games LOL ... I suppose it doesn't count for much having seen 45 other teams across Southern/Southeastern Ohio LOL ... one more regular season game tonight - VC vs Meigs then it's Sectional Time !!! gotta love this time of the year !!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Great to read the recap pfloyd! It is crazy how much us Unioto fans don't like our gym because of the seating issues, I can't imagine how much of an issue it would be if we had one the size of the WarriorDome! Sounds like a great game and clutch FTs by a frosh! I'm excited to see the Warriors tonight at Minford.

I want to add how proud I am of the Unioto Shermans! They struggled this week, but were able to come out on top for their 2nd straight Gold Ball in SVC play, something that has only been done once before! 7 different leading scorers this year (Cottrill, Fisher, Hosley, Kennedy, Swackhammer, Wheeler, Casey White), 2 others who have reached double figures (Clay Edler, Peyton Hill), a senior role player who has never complained with limited playing time and because of that, has had some big baskets (Sawyer Lovely), and 2 juniors who are waiting for their time as seniors (Gavin Ogan, Trey Ivey) make up a really fun team to follow. Great team chemistry and a bevy of different guys who can step up at any time.

To get back to the Convo is going to be a battle for the Shermans, but they have definitely shown over the past month that they are ready for any test and have enough heart and chemistry to compete every single night. I'm excited for the Second Season and I believe that we are going to have a fun postseason in the SE District!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote:

... Logan "fans" do not like the purple hippo/pfloyd ... pretty sure I've supported the Chiefs as much as anyone for 34 years now - I would bet that not many Logan fans read anything the purple hippo posts LOL ... oh well - can't please everyone even the home fans sometimes or most times ... the one Loganite was insinuating that since I hadn't gone to other Logan away games that I shouldn't be taking up a seat that other Logan fans should be sitting in LOL ... hey I can't help it if the only good teams in the SEOAL are Warren & Logan ! LOL I saw both of those games LOL ... I suppose it doesn't count for much having seen 45 other teams across Southern/Southeastern Ohio LOL ... one more regular season game tonight - VC vs Meigs then it's Sectional Time !!! gotta love this time of the year !!!

It's strange that you get that kind of reception, because I get very positive reviews from our fans...and you get great reviews from our fans as well! I had a couple of parents ask me if you were at the WCH game and how they wanted to meet you, so I'll have to introduce you to them at the next Shermans game that you attend...which will hopefully be at the Convo lol. 2 big tests before that, so definitely can't be looking ahead, especially in one and done season!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Smeltzy wrote:Letsgopsu........I'm not as good as pfloyd with his napkin stats.
The house was packed at FU for the rematch. Right from the start FU went inside to the big boy,Woodside, and got Carroll's 2 bigs in major foul trouble. It was still only a 1 pt game at halftime. Start of the second half FU started to take control and stretched the lead out to double digits. Carroll had 2 guys foul out and still made a few runs to stay within reach . In the 4th Senior Green made a couple big 3s and Woodside continued to dominate as FU hung on to win by 6.
Woodside had 22 and Green had 21. Now they need to finish strong tonight against Circleville at their place to get at least a tie for the league title. Carroll has 2 league games left, so you never know.

... Smeltzy - we were keeping track of the quarter scores for the Fairfield Union vs BC game last night ! ... when we had a time out or quarter break at Warren I got the score off of SEOPS to pass along to a couple of the FU/Coach Helber faithful from Logan ... good stuff ! we kinda thought that Woodside had a big game vs the Bulldogs ... thanks for the napkin stats/recap !!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote:
pfloyd wrote:

It's strange that you get that kind of reception, because I get very positive reviews from our fans...and you get great reviews from our fans as well! I had a couple of parents ask me if you were at the WCH game and how they wanted to meet you, so I'll have to introduce you to them at the next Shermans game that you attend...which will hopefully be at the Convo lol. 2 big tests before that, so definitely can't be looking ahead, especially in one and done season!

daniC ... I get many positive reviews from EVERY other school in Southern/SEOhio ... I totally love going on the road to meet up with those folks I have become friends with over the years in the different locations - the parents of players have introduced themselves or are introduced by others including coaches - I feel honored to meet the parents/the coaches/ the fans where ever I go ... AWESOME people all across Southern/SEOhio ... I attribute it to staying positive in my posts about the kids, the teams, the coaches ... as I said - I am the one that is truly honored to meet the folks who love the game either because they support their team, their son or the game of high school hoops ...

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Pfloyd.....thanks for the comps...unfortunately I won't be at the game tonight at Circleville but you can follow live scoring on MaxPreps.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

pfloyd wrote:That one - Minford vs Warren should be a good one ! - enjoy ! I'm heading for Vinton County tonight for the VC vs Meigs matchup ...

Minford 40 Warren ,22 at half Kelly has 25

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”