Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Final Edition

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Final Edition

Post by danicalifornia »

Well, besides that 23 point drumming of Warren on Saturday.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

danicalifornia wrote:Well, besides that 23 point drumming of Warren on Saturday.
White Pony must have been too preoccupied with grocery shopping Saturday night worried about that 2 to 3 inches of snow to pay any attention to any scores.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Just asking because I haven't heard but did Warren's Kyler Dennis and Seth Hall play Saturday against Minford?

Go Blue
minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

I know Hall definitely played, but not really sure about Dennis.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Hall started and played a lot of minutes. Dennis was in street clothes. They were definitely missing some scoring punch against the zone of the Falcons.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd ... Trimble beat Belpre 87-83 tonight. Regular season.

Could you keep your records updated with just regular season records? (make up games wins & losses added) I use them as a reference all the time throughout the tournament.

Thanks man.

C-ya at the Convo!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote:pfloyd ... Trimble beat Belpre 87-83 tonight. Regular season.

Could you keep your records updated with just regular season records? (make up games wins & losses added) I use them as a reference all the time throughout the tournament.

Thanks man.

C-ya at the Convo!

... I'll do the best I can with the records updates 93dog ...

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Don't know much about them on a daily basis, but Minford was tough in that last game against us. Real Buzz Saw dismantling Warren. If they play like that in tournaments, they will be tough.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

thebarlowbandit wrote:Don't know much about them on a daily basis, but Minford was tough in that last game against us. Real Buzz Saw dismantling Warren. If they play like that in tournaments, they will be tough.

That's the problem with Minford though, you never really know what to expect with them. They can look like the best team around, or look sub-par. Just like last night, down to Crooksville at the half, then win by close to 20. Who knows!

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

Regular season: Peebles over Ripley by about 20. Not sure of score. Away game at Ripley.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Thanks Rodeo1 I'll change the record when I get on my computer...

Rodeo1
Varsity

Post by Rodeo1 »

pfloyd wrote:Thanks Rodeo1 I'll change the record when I get on my computer...
No problem Pfloyd.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

South Webster is now 10-12 after their win over Whiteoak last night.

The game that was snowed out against Jackson will not be made up.

rosemount guy
Freshman Team

Post by rosemount guy »

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this topic. Makes for good reading and discussion. Our Clay Panthers in my opinion underachieved this year. At same time i am sure several teams would love to go 16-5 and underachieve. Just did not play well against the top teams in our league. The chemistry with the group just never showed it's face. Thanks again and hope to see you at a game.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

rosemount guy wrote:Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this topic. Makes for good reading and discussion. Our Clay Panthers in my opinion underachieved this year. At same time i am sure several teams would love to go 16-5 and underachieve. Just did not play well against the top teams in our league. The chemistry with the group just never showed it's face. Thanks again and hope to see you at a game.
I agree. They won the league last year and only lost a couple role players. They couldn't seem to win the big games this season.

rosemount guy
Freshman Team

Post by rosemount guy »

bbjunky81 wrote:
rosemount guy wrote:Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this topic. Makes for good reading and discussion. Our Clay Panthers in my opinion underachieved this year. At same time i am sure several teams would love to go 16-5 and underachieve. Just did not play well against the top teams in our league. The chemistry with the group just never showed it's face. Thanks again and hope to see you at a game.
I agree. They won the league last year and only lost a couple role players. They couldn't seem to win the big games this season.
All Clay players return for next year. The league has a strong group of juniors this year. Hope for better result in those big league games. Will encourage them to work hard this summer. Outdoor blacktop games to start with. lol

rosemount guy
Freshman Team

Post by rosemount guy »

bbjunky81 wrote:
Those role players are" Indians of a team". To many chiefs sometimes and no Indians makes for bad chemistry. Hope they get it worked out.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Vinton County takes down Warren ...

Meigs knocks out Logan Elm ...

Alexander defeats Minford - for a second time ...

Not to shabby for the little ole TVC

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Vinton County 54
Warren 52 final

IF you are a fan of boys high school hoops , tonight’s matchup between Warren & Vinton County in the Logan D2 Sectional had ALL of the potential to be a barnburner/slugfest/white knuckler/slobber knocker – any one of the cliché’s you want to dust off and throw on a computer screen – it was going to be a good one … TVC vs SEOAL … 2 great coaches in Coach Combs (VC) and Coach Maddox (WHS) … both champions of their respective leagues … two of the best high school basketball programs in the SouthEast District … a gym packed with passionate fans on both sides of the court … it was more than appropriate that the outcome was not decided until the final 2.6 seconds – from my perch in the Cheap Seats it added up to a darn near “perfect” game for any fan of the game …

On paper, I had VC the favorite in this one – imo the inside BIGS for VC would be a major factor in this - physically stronger than Warren in the paint … I felt that VC had MORE perimeter scorers than Warren (Bartoe/Jones/Albright/Yates) … and VC had Mr. Tristan Bartoe – a kid that handles the ball as well as anyone, can get into the paint/to the rim better than anyone in SEOhio … in my little mind, Warren would have to score from the perimeter – Dennis, Hall, Gandee had to have a big “perimeter” night – if they did it would negate the interior game of the VC BIGS by committee – Wood/McIntre/Caudill … IF Coach Combs’ troops were hitting on all cylinders Warren would be in trouble … at the game I found out that Caudill is out for the season/McIntre was in street clothes … “write it down – game on ! with 2 of the 3 BIGS out for VC this was going to be a tight one” – darned if I wasn’t right on the money – closer than close … a great game was seen by everyone in attendance … congratulations to both teams/coaches/fans for both sides – high school hoops/one & done season – Perfect …

… Quarter number one had the Vikings throwing the first punches Derrick Jones/ Jordan Albright and Tristan Bartoe staked VC to the early 10-2 lead at the 3:56 mark of the 1st … Bartoe showed his entire repertoire hitting his patented floater in the paint for 2 pts. followed by a triple and bookended with a drive to the rim (7 pts in the quarter) … Warren won the last 3:56 seconds of the 1st outscoring VC 7-2 to finish the quarter Vinton County 12 Warren 9 after one …

… Quarter 2 saw Vikings Albright & Bartoe BOTH pickup their 2nd foul … both spent minutes on the bench … while the Viking duo shared time on the bench Warren fought back into the game led by Bryce Gandee’s 7 point 2nd period (10 in the half) … 4 points by Warren 6-6 junior Chase Weihl and a triple from Kyler Dennis in the Warrior final possession of the half … VC shared the wealth in the period - Jones with 3/ Bartoe added 4 pts. and off the bench Naylon Yates hit 5 points in the 2nd … a key napkin stat in the quarter was VC went 2/2 from the FT line while Warren was 1 for 4 from the line … Vinton County 26 Warren 24 at intermission …

Quarter #3 … saw Vinton Co. jump out to its’ biggest lead at 33-26 with 3:54 to play in the quarter – Naylen Yates continued to be the man as the 6th man hit 7 points in the quarter … Warren however reeled the Vikings back in behind Luke Drayer (6 pts) & Chase Weihl (4 pts) with a chip in trey by Kyler Dennis 3 pts … the key FT napkin stat – Warren 0 for 4 in the 3rd … Warren 37 Vinton County 36 end of 3 …

… the final period was what keeps us Cheap Seat guys coming back in the post season … both teams knowing that there are only 8 minutes left to decide “Who will be the last team standing after 8 more minutes?” … Warren had senior Luke Drayer (8 pts in the quarter) trying to carry the team to one more win & a “next” game … VC’s Derrick Jones drilled 2 big time 3 balls (8 pts in the quarter) … VC’s BIG MAN in the middle came up BIG in the final period … he was the dominating presence in the paint I thought he would be (8 points for the game) but EVERY ONE of the 8 points were BIG BIG buckets – on put backs at crucial times for VC … the final period was played tight at both ends … at the 2 minute mark the scoreboard showed VC 48 Warren 48 … at 1:38 Kyler Dennis hit a triple to give Warren a 3 point 51-48 advantage … :53 to play the game was tied 52-52 … Warren ball … easy to say AFTER the game but the Warriors instead of going for the final shot elected to go for the lead with :34 left … a drive by Luke Drayer who had been money getting to the rim all night had his shot roll off the back of the rim … VC with the board and the ball … Bartoe across the midcourt stripe time out Vinton with 17 ticks on the clock … advantage Vinton – the arguably BEST “one on one” pg in SEOhio on the court … I jotted down on my napkin stat sheet “Bartoe to the rim … make or to the FT line” … I was half right – Bartoe did take the ball to the rim (check) … this is why I’m in the cheap seats and not courtside – Bartoe took it into the paint – drawing 2 defenders/ instead of going up for the shot Bartoe fed the waiting BIG MAN Chase Wood for an easy 2 points … Vinton up 2 points … with 2.6 seconds to play Warren put up a prayer from mid court … Vinton County 54 Warren 52 a final …

… Pfloyd’s Official “unofficial” Napkin Stats – Warren …

Scoring …Luke Drayer 18, Chase Weihl 11, Bryce Gandee 10, Kyler Dennis 9 , Seth Hall 3, Josh Huffman 1 …

3 Pointers … 5/15 … Kyler Dennis 3, Bryce Gandee 2

FT’s 3/11

TO’s … 10

… Warren hit the outside shots they needed to hit 5/15 from downtown … Coach Maddox’s boys did a great job holding their own in the paint giving up only 8 points to Wood – perfect … the Warrior D kept Bartoe controlled/ foul trouble/ out of the paint all night (Hall stole the ball twice from Bartoe) … Chase Wood hit 4 “BIG SHOTS” for the game – put backs at key points in the game to keep VC from falling behind WHS by more than 1 possession PLUS the game winner on the assist from Bartoe to end the game … all night Warren had hands on the ball defensively – any ball going inside was scratched/clawed at by multiple sets of hands forcing multiple TOs by VC … the killer tonight for Warren FT's ... 3/11

… Pfloyd’s Official “unofficial” Napkin Stats – Vinton County …

Scoring … Tristan Bartoe 15, Naylen Yates 14, Derrick Jones 13, Chase Wood 8, Jordan Albright 4

3 Pointers … 7/12 … Derrick Jones 3, Naylen Yates 2, Jordan Albright 1, Tristan Bartoe 1

FTs … 9/12

TOs … 17

… Congratulations to the Vikings … well played game at both ends of the court … another Key Napkin stat besides Warren going 3/11 from the FT line … was Vinton’s bench vs Warren’s bench :

VC’s bench Naylen Yates/Caleb Montgomery 14 points
vs
Warren’s bench of Josh Huffman 1 point

Best of luck to Vinton County as they will take on the winner of Unioto/Chillicothe at Basketball Thirty at the Convo next Friday night (2/26) at 6:15pm …

Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

3-for-11 ... ouch!

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”