Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #6

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #6

Post by pfloyd »

... I am not sure that the Elite 8 rankings have been as hard to come up with on a week in/week out basis EVER !!! ... maybe it is the parity of teams across Southern/Southeastern Ohio, might be the difficulty to play at such a high level every game out ... as we have seen teams on the Elite ranking lose to teams down the Treehugger list creating those "hiccup" games ... all in all as we get deeper into the 2012 portion of our handy dandy pocket schedules the quality teams are working their way up through the ranks settling into THE positions that we expected ... Eastern Brown is getting to full strength - now playing some of the best basketball on the West side of Rt.23 ... Nelsonville York has shown up for the TVC season along with Wellston, Federal Hocking to make it where the top level teams (Southern/South Gallia/Vinton Co./Athens) better bring their "A" game or go home with an "L" ... the Three Amigo teams in the SEOAL Chillicothe/Warren/Portsmouth are where we thought they would be- tied at the top of league play heading into the 2nd week of 2012 ... Lucasville Valley has shaken off their great football run of the Fall looking to make a similar run on the hardwood this Winter... Logan Elm has kept things together defensively (a given) in the 2011 portion of the season waiting for the young Braves to find confidence at the offensive end - LE has found their 3+ scorers so they can play "first team to 50 wins" basketball ... just when the high school basketball world thought the Peake would have a cake walk thru the OVC - surprise!!! Fairland has put together a very nice team to make things interesting on the river for the next month and a half ... many many story lines and we are only halfway through the 2011-12 campaign - time to sit back in the Cheap Seats, let the kids entertain the rest of the way ...

... Here's how the Elite 8 fared in the Week that Was ...

1. Warren (8-0/0-1) ... the Warriors go on the road to take on Johnsonless Chillicothe in the game of the week ... Big Blue takes it on the chin 56-65 to drop their first game of 2012 ...

2A. Chesapeake (6-1/1-0) ... the Peake faced off against Fairland in what may be their only challenger in the OVC this season ... the Panthers hold off the Dragons for a 52-49 win ...

2B. Ironton (7-1/2-0) ... the Fighting Tigers crushed Gallia Academy 63-35 before finishing off the week with a final minute come from behind thriller to Ashland Paul Blazer HS a 69-68 I'town W ...

3. Portsmouth (7-2/1-0) ... the Trojans continued the Gallia Academy woes beating up on the beaten up GAHS boyz 77-36 for a "W" in the PHS lone game in the Week that Was ...

4. Logan Elm (7-1/1-0) ... the Braves flexed their defensive muscle vs hapless Hamilton Twp as LE jumped out to a 21-0 lead before finishing off Hamilton Twp 51-19 ...

5. Huntington (7-1/1-1) ... the Huntsmen beat Zane Trace in the SVC portion of the week 63-53 then traveled to Lucasville Valley to take on the Purple/Yellow Indians ... Valley "knocked out" HHS in a "slugfest" handing SVC boyz a 67-73 loss ...

6. Chillicothe (6-3/2-0) ... the Cavs opened the week getting BACK into the SEOAL hunt by putting an "L" on the pocket schedules of previously unbeaten Warren Local beating the Warriors 65-56 ... Chillicothe followed the big SEOAL win by taking on the OCC's Dublin Coffman - Cavs 56 Dublin 54 ...

7. Peebles (7-0/1-1) ... the Indians played their fill of close games in the Week that Was losing to SHL foe the resurgent Eastern Brown Warriors 57-59 ... Peebles finished out the week knocking off 7-1 Ripley giving the Blue Jays loss number 2 on the season with the 66-64 Indian "W" ...

8. Unioto (6-2/1-0) ... the Shermans took care of "bidness" in their only game of the week beating Piketon 45 -43 to go 1-0 in the Week that Was ...

... How will the wins/losses effect the rankings of the Elite 8 ? ... Lucasville Valley and Waverly are on the doorstep of moving onto the list ... will this be the week that one or both make the leap into the rare air of Elite teams in Southern/SouthEastern Ohio??? ...

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 in Southern/SouthEastern Ohio Week #6 ...

1. Chesapeake (7-1)

2. Ironton (9-1)

3. Chillicothe (8-3)/Warren (8-1)/Portsmouth (8-2)

4. Logan Elm (8-1)

5. Lucasville Valley (7-2)

6. Huntington (8-2)

7. Waverly (7-2)

8. Peebles (8-1)/ Unioto (7-2)

... Treehugger Wannabes ...

(6-3) Fairfield Union
(7-2) Fairland
(7-2) Oak Hill
(7-3) Hillsboro
(6-3) Piketon
(7-2) Circleville
(6-2) South Gallia
(6-4) Vinton County
(4-4) Eastern Brown
(5-4) Jackson
(7-1) Southern
(4-6) Whiteoak
(7-4) Manchester
(6-3) Minford
(4-3) South Webster
(5-4) Lynchburg Clay
(6-5) Fairfield Leesburg
(6-3) Southeastern
(5-3) Belpre
(5-5) Marietta
(5-4) North Adams
(4-5) Zane Trace
(7-3) Nelsonville York
(5-2) Wellston
(5-5) Athens
(4-4) New Lexington
(5-4) Federal Hocking
(7-2) Portsmouth Notre Dame
(5-3) Eastern Pike
(5-4) Sheridan
(5-4) South Point
(8-2) Coal Grove
(3-7) Greenfield McClain
(2-8) Paint Valley
(3-6) Washington CH
(3-5) Miami Trace
(2-5) Wahama
(4-3) Reedsville Eastern
(5-2) New Boston
(6-4) St. Joseph
(1-7) Wheelersburg
(2-8) Westfall
(1-7) Logan
(3-8) Gallia Academy
(2-5) Waterford
(2-6) Portsmouth West
(3-6) Rock Hill
(3-5) Symmes Valley
(3-6) Crooksville
(2-5) Miller

... Teams on the End Table ...

(1-5) Portsmouth East
(2-7) Western Pike
(1-8) Trimble
(1-7) Northwest
(1-8) Alexander
(1-7) Franklin Furnace Green
(0-9) West Union
(1-7) River Valley
(0-11) Meigs
(1-7) Portsmouth Clay
(0-9) Adena

... I BELIEVE the committee of one - me - has in fact ranked ALL 72 teams (counting the outlaw Wahama WVa squad from 93dog's TVC) with the addition of Crooksville (3-6) ... as always take a look at the records, check for omission of teams (ie. Vinton Co. last week) ... "let the beatings begin!!!" ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #6

Post by Ironman92 »

Looks good.....other than taking the easy road with multiple ties in the Elite 8.

I will say Lynchburg Clay is 4 spots behind Whiteoak and they have defeated Whiteoak twice.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

....they just lost to Fayetteville....so forget it

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

Glad to see Waterford move up in the rankings. I had the opportunity to watch their win over the fort last night. When those two teams meet out goes the record books and its all about who wants it more. Congratulations to the boys in green.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Chillicothe/Warren/Portsmouth all tied at 3-1 in the SEOAL ... had I taken just a little longer to stare at my final listing of the Elite 8 I would have moved the 3 Amigos to the 3 spot and Logan Elm to the 4 BUT that darn committee of one pushed the "return" key !!!! ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

There's an edit button!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... and it was done ... looks right to me now ...

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Elite Eleven has a better ring than elite eight.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... sometimes it IS that close when you factor in strength of schedules/records/where games were played/ was there a full moon/ was the National Anthem sung/played live via band or a recording ...many factors involved that you don't see unless you look at the napkin stats ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Floyd???? Really??? South Gallia still four slots ahead of Southern? That doesn't make sense buddy.

South Gallia (6-2) loses to Southen on their home court, losses to a 6-3 West Virginia team - while Southern takes care of Federal Hocking AND Belpre on the Golden Eagles home court this week?

Oh yea, when did the top 8, I mean 9, I mean 11 start to multiply? Why not just expand and go all the way to 20 or 25 like the AP and USA Today?

:mrgreen:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... it's already to the Top 72 :mrgreen:

... Southern has closed the gap! South Gallia played one of those foreign teams that nobody knows anything about - they play 20 year olds in their JV squads in those foreign countries (West Virginia/Kentucky etc.) ... South Gallia takes on Belpre this week while Southern sleep walks thru Trimble and Miller ...

Southern

@ Trimble
Miller
@Waterford
Wellston
1/27 South Gallia

South Gallia

Belpre
@ Federal Hocking
@ Wahama
Waterford
1/27 @ Southern

... as it should and as it always does ... who's the Better Team will be settled on the court ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

They did settle it on the court once already ... Southern 66, South Gallia 58 ... lol

(On Buffalo - the foreign team - they are 6-3) ... One of their wins was a 71-68 decision over Wahama)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... they have 3 JuCo transfers too ...

... I don't know how many times I can say this - When Southern BEAT South Gallia at South Gallia the Tornados JUMPED AHEAD/MOVED AHEAD of the Rebels in the rankings ... THEN Southern LOST TO Reedsville Eastern the following week , Southern DROPPED while So. Gallia was 2-0 in the same week staying where they were in the rankings ... Eastern moved ahead of Southern/Southern dropped in the rankings below the placement of Eastern ... end of story ...

Southern has been rising in the rankings every week due to their play on the court, Southern will continue to rise as long as they keep winning ... the only team they play with a winning record before they host So. Gallia on the 27th is Wellston in Racine ... while South Gallia plays 3 teams with winning records before they take on a Waterford team which knocked off Fort Frye THEN travel to Racine do battle , face to face ...

thill2010
JV Team

Post by thill2010 »

BIG GAME IN THE MSL TUESDAY BETWEEN LOGAN ELM AND BLOOM CARROLL

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thill2010 - absolutely right on that call ... Bloom Carroll vs Logan Elm ... had this one been earlier in the season LE might struggle to get a "W" BUT the Braves of Coach Stiverson have found more offensive firepower in Riffle the last 5 games or so ... allows the 3 point machine - sophomore Dillon Young - space to get off his shot ... opens the floor up for Vagnier/Pritchard/Heeter/Moore on the offensive end as well ... defensively LE has just gotten better and better every game out ... the last outing holding Hamilton Twp to 19 points FOR THE GAME!!! ... this one should be a dandy ...

thill2010 ... is this one at BC or on the Reservation ???

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

Pfloyd good luck with your procedures coming up, my prayers are with you. Tough week to pick the elite 8, I don't blame you there. I figured Waverly would make it in adventually. Now your Southern reasoning makes no sense to me or anyone else. Southern beat South Gallia head to head than wins to big games this week while South Gallia loses and you don't drop South Gallia. Come on Pfloyd you either drunk the kool-aid down in Mercyville or someone from Racine has really torqued you off. I'm not sure I don't have Southern at the top of the THW list. I know what you are doing you are ranking like the BCS trying to get the debates going. lol. As always Pfloyd I enjoy your list and the debate. Get well so we can keep debating, your more fun to argue with than my wife, she always wins. lol

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Is this the most teams ever in the Elite 8? LOL

Wanted to comment earlier, but I was Tebowing.

blacknblue
JV Team

Post by blacknblue »

Another Round of Applaus from bruiser on another job well done Floyd.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

is it me or am i missing amanda on the list? only reason i ask is I watched unioto@amanda two weeks ago and havent seen them since. not sold on unioto in the top 11 after watching that game. As always, this is a great thread. my mother has been through the treatments you described pfloyd and I wish you the best. she is still battling after 4 years. I have all week off so im looking for great matchups to check out all week long. Would appreciate some recommendations for the week. hope to get to a game every night.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Grinder- I am staying positive - I see the surgeon Jan 23rd, a date for surgery will be set - the docs will see what they are dealing with as far as how wide spread the cancer is in my left lung - then decide how invasive the surgery needs to be ... IF the area has "spidered" I will be in for a lengthy battle/recovery and they will start an aggressive chemotherapy regiment ... I am going to be positive, have faith that the immunotherapy I went through last Winter IS doing it's thing - incapsulating the nodule/keeping it from spidering ... I am going to keep seeing games until I can't due to my stay in The James ... send prayers/thoughts for smooth edges on this monster ... I have the game plan now, getting mentally ready - going to beat this thing I am ...

... you too on the Southern/South Gallia controversy ??? LOL ... debate??? me encouraging debate??? why would you even think that Grinder LOL ... anytime you try to rank 1/4 of the state of Ohio (Southern/Southeastern Ohio) ... 72 teams there WILL BE disagreement LOL - and then there is 93bulldog !!!!! LOL ... it's all good in my world ;-)

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”