Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 2

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 2

Post by pfloyd »

... Week #2 Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line gave us a "glimpse" of the parity that exists in Southern/Southeastern Ohio hoops this 2008-09 season ... don't get me wrong there exists the "not so good", the "good" and the "very good" BUT imo we don't have a few teams that are THE teams and then "the rest" this year - at least not at this point in the campaign ... last years dominant teams - Chillicothe/Zanesville are still looking for the "pieces" that fit to complete "TEAM" while Ironton, Portsmouth, Oak Hill, Piketon, North Adams have the pieces in place and are ahead of the curve as they are gaining confidence, momentum, - they "trust" the parts and are working on getting the same TEAM to show every night out ... while the 5-0 Logan Elm Braves are looking to develop the timing, the "gel" factor as a TEAM that has been their trademark under the Coach Stiverson "system" ... finally as I look at the first 2 weeks of play teams we have taken for granted to be in the Elite 8 - Vinton County, Wheelersburg are "establishing" their 2008-09 identity - Coach Combs' VC squad has shown that they may not have the talent of years past BUT they ARE showing that "execution" on the court can and will put "W's" on our handy dandy pocket schedules - Grillo, Allen, Guthrie, Reed, Lawhead, Prater - starting to find their roles, starting to get comfortable on the court with each others "roles" ... Wheelersburg is finding the talent to replace last years talent - freshmen are coming off the bench to lead the way - Zach Whitley/Tyler Craigmiles are freshmen that have and will continue to make their names known to the rest of us as the season heads for the New Year ... should be a great season for us Cheap Seat guys ... let's see if the action in the Week that Was Week #2 resulted in any new "faces" on the elite list ...

Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... Week 2

1. Ironton 4-0 ... Coach Lafon & Co. leap frogged the field by picking up 2 wins in the Week that WAS ... a 69-39 win over the Ironmen of Jackson ... IHS took this one early with defense holding JHS to 4-21 shooting from the field in the 1st half , forcing 12 TOs in the opening two stanzas/20 for the game ... Itown had 10 steals to take Jackson out of any possible "game" - this one was over at the half IHS 36 JHS 13 ... Ironton swept the week by knocking off visiting D2 State Champions Chillicothe 55-49 ... Dustin Green 25 pts/Lamb 10 pts & 16 rbs/ Schweikart 8 pts/Kochendeorfer 6 pts ... 2 big games this week for Itown - Russell Ky tonight, and Brookhaven coming to town on Tuesday evening ...

2. Logan Elm 5-0 ... the Braves struggled with Fairfield Union in their only game of week beating FU 65-63 ... the familiar names of Tim Congrove 21 points, Amann 19 and Adam Blake 10 led the way for Coach Stiverson's Red & White squad ... the narrow W showed how tough life will be in the MSL this season - could LE have been looking ahead to the 12/27 rematch with Chillicothe at the Hat ?

3. Chillicothe 1-1 ... Coach Kellough's Cavs dropped 2 notches after losing to a talented Ironton ball club ... Caleb Knights led the scoring for Chilli with 20 points ... CHS is still looking for perimeter scoring as they knocked down only 2 treys in the loss ... not much time to lick their wounds as 5-0 Logan Elm comes to the Hat on the 27th - should be a dandy ...

4. Oak Hill 4-0 ... Coach Persin's boyz added a W to their pocket schedules picking up a win vs Waverly 52-31 ... Kyle Ondera led the Oak Hill boyz with 19 pts/ 2 treys, Hale followed with 11 and Borden 11 ... a big rebounding edge for OHHS 30-19 on the game, forcing 22 TOs and holding WHS to 13 for 42 shooting from the field ...

5. North Adams 4-0 ... Coach Young's boyz just keep on keep'n on ... a 31 point win over West Union 86-55 kept the Green Devils in the 5 spot ...

6. Portsmouth 3-0 ... the Trojans showed no mercy as they hammered winless Jackson 100-65 ... the 10 day layoff for the Trojans didn't phase the Red/White/Blue as PHS dominated in all phases of the game starting with a 46-26 advantage on the boards (Williams/Cadogen 17,11 respectively for PHS out rebounded JHS themselves 28-26) ... scoring Anthony Williams 24 points/17 rbs, Nate Cadogen 11 pts/11 rbs, Andrew Bendolph 15 pts/7 assts ... Link & Horne added 12 pts each to give PHS 6 players in double figures and 2 players with double doubles on the night ... a big week for PHS as the Trojans of Coach Shoemaker take on Northwest, Gallia Academy and Wheelersburg ... is a 6-0 start in the cards for the Trojans??? ...

7. Piketon 4-1 ... Coach Lisath's boyz picked up win number 4 on the season by beating Paint Valley 74-41 ... Jordan Brabson a double double with 20 points and 10 rbs/ Cody Smith added 15 pts for the Red Streaks ... PHS takes on New Boston, and then play the first game of the Pike Co. Holiday Classic on Saturday night ...

8. Zanesville 1-2 ... the ville was 1-1 in the Week that Was ... beating SEOAL foe Warren at Zanesville 47-42 before losing to State Champion Newark on the road 47-44 ... I'll get my first look at the "new look" Devils (ie. minus an Aronhalt on the floor) as ZHS comes to Logan Friday night before entertaining Worthington Christian in the 'ville Saturday night ... a big week for the Devils "mind set " imo ...

... there you have the Week #2 line-up of Elite 8 teams ... sorry for the abbreviated versions for each team this week - was on the road Friday/Saturday/Sunday for the first of a few holiday trips to visit family ... things should be back to normal after Christmas ...

... Treehugger Wannabees ...

Wheelersburg 4-0
Alexander 5-1 ... wins over Wellston, Peebles, Westfall, NY, Maysville
Adena 4-0
Vinton County 4-0
Marietta 3-0
Warren 1-1
Peebles 3-1
Logan 1-2
Westfall 4-1
Chesapeake 2-1
Trimble 3-1
Hillsboro 3-1
South Point 3-1
Southern 2-1
Valley 4-2
Waterford 3-0
Minford 3-1
Waverly 2-1
Athens 3-2
Greenfield McClain 2-3
Washington CH 3-2
Meigs 2-2
Northwest 2-2
Huntington 2-3
Rock Hill 2-3
Fairfield Union 1-3
Fairland 2-3
Southeastern 3-3
Zane Trace 2-2

... End Table Teams ...

Portsmouth West 2-2
Belpre 1-3
Western 2-1
Reedsville Eastern 2-2 ... wins over South Gallia/Miller ... Losses Waterford/Southern ...
Symmes Valley 1-2
Eastern Pike 2-1
Coal Grove 1-3
Ironton St. Joe 3-1
Portsmouth East 1-1
Circleville 0-4
West Union 0-3

... here's wishing all the teams Below the Line the best for the holiday season ... to all those on SEOPs a Merry Christmas your way as well ... as usual please "gently" tell me I messed up somewhere LOL - remember it IS the holidays !!!

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

beaverlover
SE

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 2

Post by beaverlover »

end table team Eastern Pike has a overall record of 2-1 heading in to what's going to be a very tough Holiday Classic at Waverly.........

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks beaverlover ... had right on my napkin stats BUT somewhere between the napkin and the keyboard EHS lost a W ...lol

thebull
Varsity

Post by thebull »

Pfloyd your list looks very accurate to me. One note North Aadms Green Devils not Dragons.

vikefan
Freshman Team

Post by vikefan »

Thanks for the hard work you put into your weekly list...it is much anticipated and appreciated.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

thebull - I knew that , I knew that LOL ... in a committee of one you can't seem to find good help these days - thanks for the correction - fixed it is ... vikefan - you are more than welcome - you boyz in Vinton Co. ARE coming along well ... as I watched them vs my Purple - was trying to come up with "the" word to describe what they do so well imo it IS "execute" - nothing fancy but their execution on the court is outstanding AND it will keep getting better and better ... VC will keep moving up the list as they take the season one game at a time ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I know there are some very good Holiday Tournament games going on this week Below the Line ... I would like to take in a couple games other than the Purple on Friday vs Zanesville ... what games are out there and where for Tuesday night, Friday, Saturday ???

... Saturday Pfloyd will be at the Hat in Chillicothe to take in the rematch of last years Regional contest between Chillicothe and Logan Elm - Saturday is filled up ... Tuesday is open ???

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Wow, I just figured it out ... I know how Chilli, Zanesville got into the SEOAL ... Pfloyd lobbied so hard to get them into the league, just so they could be approved for an Elite "southeastern" top 8 certification ... I do believe Chiili, Zanesville, MORGAN! and Maysville ... these teams are not eligable under rule 16, part B in chapter 4 ... So don't try and slip anyone by me floyd, im watching you!

Chilli & Zanesville are o.k., but don't be tryin to slip them "easterners" into the top 8 pal!

(BTW) ... Seen Coach Stiverson @ Alexander Saturday, I believe he was scouting the Mustangs of Westfall for their Tuesday match-up ... Great game at the Alley Sat. too ... Alex goes down 10 at the half, is still down 10 with 4 minutes to go in the 3rd ... and the next thing I knew, the Spartans were winning by 10 with over 3 minutes to play in the game ... In a blink of an eye, Alex flipped the score on Westfall (4-1), and turned a 10 point defecit into a 20 point turnaround in less than 9 minutes of play!

Alex (5-1, 2-0 TVC-Ohio) - deserves serious consideration, they have beaten some solid teams thus far ... Westfall was undefeated entering Sat. They beat Peebles, blew out N-Y, Wellston and Maysville ... 5-1 should garner some attention Floyd! Tourney tid-bits: Alex is (4-0) Vs Division III southeast district teams, which they need to get that high seed and avoid the Burg, Ironton, the Peake, etc...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

TUESDAY ....

Athens ... Vs. Sheridan

- Both teams are in the same sectional, so the match-up is an important one.

Superbuster
Waterboy

Post by Superbuster »

Tuesday:

Oak Hill @ Wellston

JV Contest starts @ 6:00PM

Could be interesting....

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

6. Portsmouth 3-0 ... the Trojans showed no mercy as they hammered winless Jackson 100-65 ... the 10 day layoff for the Trojans didn't phase the Red/White/Blue as PHS dominated in all phases of the game starting with a 46-26 advantage on the boards (Williams/Cadogen 17,11 respectively for PHS out rebounded JHS themselves 28-26) ... scoring Anthony Williams 24 points/17 rbs, Nate Cadogen 11 pts/11 rbs, Andrew Bendolph 15 pts/7 assts ... Link & Horne added 12 pts each to give PHS 6 players in double figures and 2 players with double doubles on the night ... a big week for PHS as the Trojans of Coach Shoemaker take on Northwest, Gallia Academy and Wheelersburg ... is a 6-0 start in the cards for the Trojans??? ...

no mercy?, c,mon,,, Shoe had a lot of subs in and out of the game in the second half 8)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 93dog - you sure I can't work those Morgan Raiders into the Southeast? LOL ... by the way I have Alexander at 4-1? you have them at 5-1? ... I have them with wins over NY, Maysville, Wellston, Westfall - who am I missing in their win column? ... I need one of those pocket schedules for TVC - do they have them at McD's in your neck of the woods? ... is the LE vs Westfall game AT Logan Elm? ... may have to head over there to catch Westfall in action Tuesday night ...

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

no mercy?, c,mon,,, Shoe had a lot of subs in and out of the game in the second half 8)[/quote]

i certianly am not suprised portsmouth did this. it seems to be thier M.O.
:122245 :122245[/quote]

now if we can only get some of the Kantucky schools to come across the river, we could really run it up

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

biggdowgg... "no mercy" ... "never let up" ... "everyone had the hot hand" ... no matter how you say it the 100-65 score tells the story between where Portsmouth is and where Jackson is ... Portsmouth IS that much better than Jackson both inside and outside - controlled the boards, hit the trey when Jackson packed it inside ... PHS is scary good - the more they get comfortable with "winning" the more "scary good" they will become imo ... they are learning to win again, the swagger is coming back to P'town on the hardwood ...

... PHS doesn't want to ruin relations with those "foreign" teams across the river - do they ? LOL

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

pfloyd

"foreign" is right :lol: :lol:

bucksfan76
JV Team

Post by bucksfan76 »

Pfloyd the pointers are 3-1 after their win over westside

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Space Cowboy - my guess is the scorekeeper is dyslexic and posted the final for Jackson backwards - it actually was 56 ! LOL ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... those KY teams are all afraid we'll turn the flashlight off :lol:

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Just tell em the batteries went dead.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Vinton County (4-0) at Zane Trace (2-2) will give an idea where those two teams are at on December 27.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”