Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #12

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #12

Post by pfloyd »

... the last full week of boyz regular season hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line is in the books ... the Week that IS is similar to that last week of Winter in March where it is a transition time of the year - as the Regular season is transitioning into the "Survive and Advance" season of the Post Season ... teams that have remaining games in the Regular Season => Warren, Lucasville Valley, Southern - all members of the Elite 8 in Week #12 ... others with regular season games still on the books (assuming that all of the teams are playing out the 20 games allotted) => Vinton County, South Webster, Minford, Zane Trace, Waterford, Whiteoak, Miller, Portsmouth West, Alexander, Trimble ... the Final Rankings of the Elite 8 will be posted later this week ...

...Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #12...

1. Chesapeake (19-1)

2. Portsmouth (18-2)

3. Warren (17-2)

4. Ironton (15-5)

5. Lucasville Valley (16-3)/Eastern Brown (16-4)

6. Logan Elm (15-5)

7. Southern (16-3)

8. Fairland (15-5)

... Treehugger Wannabes ...

(13-7) Chillicothe
(15-5) Hillsboro
(15-5) Waverly
(15-5) Peebles
(15-5) Belpre
(18-2) Portsmouth Notre Dame
(13-7) Piketon
(14-6) Unioto
(14-6) Huntington
(14-6) Sheridan
(13-6) Vinton County
(15-5) Eastern Pike
(12-8) North Adams
(12-8) Circleville
(13-7) Southeastern
(11-8) South Webster
(13-6) Minford
(13-7) Oak Hill
(10-10) Marietta
(11-9) Lynchburg Clay
(11-9) Fairfield Leesburg
(7-13) Logan
(8-12) Jackson
(12-8) Federal Hocking
(12-8) Manchester
(8-12) Westfall
(11-9) Athens
(12-8) Wellston
(12-8) Nelsonville York
(11-9) South Gallia
(9-11) Fairfield Union
(9-10) Zane Trace
(9-11) New Lexington
(10-10) Washington CH
(9-11) Miami Trace
(10-9) Waterford
(13-7) New Boston Glenwood
(10-10) South Point
(10-11) Wahama
(12-8) Coal Grove
(7-13) Wheelersburg
(9-11) Rock Hill
(8-12) Portsmouth East
(10-10) St. Joseph
(7-13) Franklin Furnace Green
(6-13) Whiteoak
(5-15) Paint Valley
(5-15) River Valley
(5-15) Greenfield McClain
(5-15) Reedsville Eastern
(4-16) Crooksville
(4-15) Portsmouth West
(4-15) Miller
(4-15) Alexander
(3-17) Western Pike
(7-13) Symmes Valley

... Teams on the End Table ...

(3-17) Gallia Academy
(2-18) Northwest
(2-17) Trimble
(2-18) Portsmouth Clay
(1-19) West Union
(1-19) Adena
(1-19) Meigs

... Sectional play opens Monday evening !!! best of luck to ALL the Teams as we are all starting down the Road to the Convo and Basketball Thirty with Lou Horvath ... get out and support the kids/coaches ... we thank ALL of you for yet another GREAT "regular season" Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line in 2011-12 ... Looking forward to an outstanding run during the 3 Weeks of the Convo beginning next week ... 93bulldog has a special announcement later in the week or early next week as well relating to District and Regional play in A'town - keep your eyes on SEOPreps for Basketball Thirty information in the coming week ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #12

Post by Ironman92 »

I think Chillicothe would beat Southern pretty badly...but understand how these work

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

Thanks Pfloyd for putting the Tornadoes in the elite 8!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Whiteoak has dropped to #54 with their recent struggles...but have defeated 16-4 D3 Ripley, 12-8 D3 North Adams (by 15) and 12-8 Manchester

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Just to give an idea of how many teams in D4 stand a fighting chance in the tourney....Southern has EARNED the highest ranking 46 spots higher...can someone list their 3 best wins?

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Looking good!!!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks Ozzie for making this a sticky ... I will put up a final ranking once all of the regular season action is in the books this week - I'm assuming most the games will be done by Tuesday night ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Southern has several solid wins

It looks like their 3 most impressive is 15-5 D3 Belpre, 12-8 D3 Wellston handily and 12-8 D3 at Fed Hock

I would say those are quite similar to the best wins of a 7 seed on the other side...but Southern has many more wins with some of those being quite solid....Fed Hock again, Waterford, South Gallia twice....they've had an excellent season thus far.....district semi matchup will be tough

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto's regular season is done and they finished 14-6. They beat Southeastern and Adena last week, not sure which sure you didn't have. SE was 55-47, Adena was 42-28

ZT plays at Vinton County on Monday.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks daniC - I made the correction to the Unioto W/L record ...

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

Ironman92 wrote:Just to give an idea of how many teams in D4 stand a fighting chance in the tourney....Southern has EARNED the highest ranking 46 spots higher...can someone list their 3 best wins?

I will tell you how many teams stand a chance all of the D4 teams in the state of Ohio stand a chance. That is why tournament time is so great it is a new season and everyone starts over. As far as Chillicothe and Southern playing Southern has 91 boys and Chillicothe has around 400. Pfloyd tries to get at least one D4 team in his polls every year just because he put Southern a head of Chillicothe doesn't mean he would pick them head to head. Chilli lost again so he dropped them out. I think even though Southern got the number 1 seed they have a very tough bracket and they know that. They know they have to play well to get out of their sectional. Everyone knows polls are for fun and don't mean anything when the tournament starts but I got to say it is pretty cool to be in Pfloyd Elite 8 poll!

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Chill was #9 in last weeks rankings. They played two games beating #4 Ironton and lost to #3 warren on the road by 2 pts. This week they dropped to #10?

givengo
Waterboy

Post by givengo »

Pfloyd where does Wellston fit in on the list? Just curious.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

givengo - you know the rules, IF a TVC team loses to both Athens AND Vinton County in the same week they are dropped from the rankings completely... JUST KIDDING !!! ... my fault - it was an oversight from trying to read my scribbles on the napkin stat sheets ... it has been "fixed" Wellston is back on the Treehugger listing ... thanks for the heads-up ...

... I didn't count my final list to see if all the teams were included ... I'll get the committee of one on it shortly ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... just counted up the number of DIFFERENT teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line I have seen play this regular season ... the count stands at 45 of the 71 teams Below the Line ... looking forward to adding to the list during the post season ... it's been a great regular season ! my health - minus a week for surgery - has been good , it's allowed me to get out to see teams, meet up with the great fans of high school basketball all across Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... great stuff as always - on to the Survive and Advance season !!! ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... D3 Sectional Menu for Monday night 2/20 ...

Jackson Sectional :

South Point
Rock Hill ......... 7pm

Waverly Sectional :

Paint Valley
Northwest ......... 7pm

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I looked over the top 8 about 15 minutes ago - but I am just now posting - I think I fainted or something ... lol ... Let me see here "head appears o.k. - no bumps or bruises ... The cat is still walking around - I must not have landed on it." ... As everything appears to be o.k. - I have to chime in now ... WOW! THE SOUTHERN TORNADOES???? I'M SHOCKED & UTTELRY PLEASED FLOYD!!!

I knew you would see the light eventually.

My crystal ball said back in December that Southern would finish 18-2 or 17-3 - and be in the top 8 by seasons end ... One more game to go and the ol crystal might have finally got one right!

MONDAY GAME FLOYD: ZANE TRACE VS VINTON COUNTY

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

LAST TWO REGULAR SEASON GAMES FOR THE TVC:

Southern at Waterford - Thursday 2/23
Trimble at Wahama - Thursday 2/23

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Southern took care of "bidness" ... went 3-0 in the Week that Was ... while Ironton lost (1-1), Valley lost (1-1), Fairland lost (1-1), Chillicothe lost (1-1) picked up their 7th loss of the season, Peebles lost (1-1), Waverly lost (1-1), Piketon lost (1-1) ... yes I know the strength of schedules, the "who" some of these losses were to and where they were played- home or away ... bottom line is you still have to pick up "W's" especially in the last week of the season when you can't make up for losses no matter who they were to ... each of the teams that I mentioned having losses this past week dropped a minimum of one spot in the rankings ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hopper 11 wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:Just to give an idea of how many teams in D4 stand a fighting chance in the tourney....Southern has EARNED the highest ranking 46 spots higher...can someone list their 3 best wins?

I will tell you how many teams stand a chance all of the D4 teams in the state of Ohio stand a chance. That is why tournament time is so great it is a new season and everyone starts over. As far as Chillicothe and Southern playing Southern has 91 boys and Chillicothe has around 400. Pfloyd tries to get at least one D4 team in his polls every year just because he put Southern a head of Chillicothe doesn't mean he would pick them head to head. Chilli lost again so he dropped them out. I think even though Southern got the number 1 seed they have a very tough bracket and they know that. They know they have to play well to get out of their sectional. Everyone knows polls are for fun and don't mean anything when the tournament starts but I got to say it is pretty cool to be in Pfloyd Elite 8 poll!
That's why I said I understand how it works. I disagree a bit on the tournament thing....I think anyone can win their first round game....but the one part of the D4 bracket is pretty loaded with the more talented teams....Western could feasibly knock off #7 Whiteoak....but they just will not beat WO then South Webster. But every slate is clean and I've been wrong before....good luck to all!

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”