Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 3

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 3

Post by pfloyd »

... as we have reached the halfway point of the Holiday season Santa was better to some teams in Southern/Southeastern Ohio than he was to others - last weeks Elite 8 suffered 3 losses in the Week that Was ... with Ironton, Chillicothe and Zanesville ALL apparently "naughty" in the eyes of the "round, red suited, black booted, jolly" dude adding "L's" to their stockings ... obviously we have movement in the Elite 8 in the Week that IS - AND in the Week of Happy New Year we will be privileged to have the chance to take in some excellent basketball that will give way to a possible continued "holiday shuffling" of teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... North Adams vs Peebles opening the Adams County Tourney ... Waverly vs Piketon to decide the best of Pike County ... Ironton vs Wheelersburg in the Orange & Black Bowl ... Chillicothe @ Portsmouth in the battle of Rt. 23 ... Warren hits the road vs Maysville and rival Fort Frye ... South Point @ Portsmouth in a showcase of Ohio River powers ... Trimble @ Alexander ... Trimble vs Athens both rivalry games in Athens county ... and the list goes on and on - not even including games in the Northwest Territory or games in the SHL - Manchester vs Peebles on Monday night I believe is first up to start the Week that IS ... so many great games to see so few days to take them all in LOL ... BUT we can look back at the Week that Was and how it took it's toll on last weeks Elite lineup of teams - let's take a look ...

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/Southeastern Ohio - Week #3 ...

1. Logan Elm 6-0 ... Coach Stiverson's Braves STILL aren't hitting on all cylinders BUT the parts are in place to develop, fine tune as the season goes along soooooooooo everyone ends up on the same page moving into the post season - Amann, Cosgrove, Blake, Hauserman & Co. have shown the flashes of what is to come down the road ... Amann averaging 23 ppg, Cosgrove 18 ppg ... in the Braves win on the road vs Chillicothe we got a glimpse of the future as LE got the W 55-52 at the Hat BUT the little things tell the story that is still being written - LE was 7/14 from behind the arc a 50% clip ... for the game a 53% fg percentage from the floor ... 6/7 from the line ... Amann led the way with 25 pts / Hauserman 10/Blake 7 ... Coach Stiverson we welcome you and the Braves to the rare air of the Number 1 spot on the Elite 8 ...

2. Ironton 5-1 ... the I'town boys continued to impress, finishing the week at 1-1 with a win over the "foreigners" from Russell Ky 83-43 (they may not come back across the river again) leading the way for IHS was Dustin Green 18/Kochendoerfer 15/ Lamb 14/Elliot 10/Waginger 8/Webb 7/Morris 4 ... the youngster Waginger showing up in the box score every night out for the Tigers ... Coach Lafon's troops may have been more impressive in picking up their first "L" of the season vs D1 Brookhaven 62-65 ... as the Tigers came back from a 24 point deficit trailing 37-13 with 1:55 left in the 2nd quarter to make this one a game with the outcome in doubt for BHS right to the end ... the "L" may not be as big of a loss as losing Michael Lamb in the 2nd quarter to an ankle sprain ... life doesn't get any easier for IHS as Wheelersburg visits during the Week that IS and a trip to Gallia Academy to head into the 2009 portion of the season...

3. Oak Hill 6-0 ... Coach Persin's Oak Hill boyz spanked Wellston 73-29 followed by South Gallia 91-38 in a couple of yawners ... 2 "no contesto" games AND OHHS has the upcoming week off before playing @ Valley on January 6th ... we'll be watching for the rust in that one ...

4. Portsmouth 5-0 ... Coach Shoemaker's Portsmouth Trojans are starting to make believers out of even the teams that from year to year are the class of Southern Ohio hoops ... the Trojans who are blessed with loads of individual talent flexed their muscles in beating a young and talented Wheelersburg Pirate team of Coach Barrick 68-60 ... PHS was led by 6-6 Sr forward Anthony Williams' 22 points/ Andrew Bendolph 15/Tory Horne 14 pts. ... hmmmm let's see PHS with size on the interior 6-6 Williams/6-5 Zack Link/6-7 Nate Cadogen ...speed/ballhandling/shooting on the perimeter Bendolph/Horne/Stevens (combined for 7 treys vs WHS 3,2,2 respectively) ... BIG week for PHS as they entertain South Point and Chillicothe ...

5. North Adams 4-0 ... Coach Young's Devils took the week off getting ready to take on Peebles this Tuesday night before taking on either West Union or Manchester depending on the outcome of the 2 contests in Adams county ...

6. Piketon 5-1 ... Coach Lisath & company lost to the weather on Tuesday night postponing their game with New Boston ... the Red Streaks will be vying for the King of Pike county as they beat Western 72-58 which sets up a big contest vs Waverly in the finale ... the week winds up with Piketon playing an undefeated Adena team (5-0) with Clay Roll (20+ ppg and a 60% fg percentage) ... Adena would love to trade places with Piketon on the elite list ...

7. Chillicothe 1-2 ... the Cavs dropped their 2nd consecutive game , coming back home after losing on the river to Ironton last week Chillicothe looked to get healthy at the expense of Logan Elm - didn't happen - as LE invaded the Hat and took home the W (55-52) ... the lack of a perimeter threat is still a thorn in the side of Coach Kellough as the Cavs were 3/9 from down town vs LE ... although the games early in the season aren't as important as showing improvement each game as the focus is on post season play ... IF the Cavs can get comfortable from the perimeter , life on the boards will get a boost at the end of January as 6-7 Freshman Malik London becomes eligible ... a totally different Cavs team will be in place by the time the 2nd season begins ...

8. Alexander 5-1 ... Alex makes its' first appearance in the Elite 8 ... by way of NOT playing and NOT losing the Spartans make the leap onto the list - good wins over Peebles, Westfall, and Maysville boost the AHS resume' (no 93dog , YOU had nothing to do with it ! LOL) ...

... there you have the Elite 8 for the Week that Was - Week #3 ... this week should be outstanding as Treehugger Wannabees - Wheelersburg, Adena, Peebles, Waverly, South Point, Trimble , Gallia Academy ALL take on at least one of the Elite 8 teams ... will the Holiday Shuffle continue? we will be in the cheap seats as usual watching the action ...

... Treehugger Wannabees ...

Zanesville 2-3
Wheelersburg 4-1
Adena 6-0
Westfall 5-1
Warren 2-1
Peebles 3-1
Vinton Co. 5-1
Chesapeake 3-1
Hillsboro 5-1 ... OT win over 1-5 Whiteoak Saturday night ...
South Point 4-1
Southern 5-1
Logan 1-3
Marietta 3-1
Trimble 4-2
Valley 4-2
Waterford 5-0
Waverly 3-1
Minford 3-1
Athens 4-2
Washington CH 4-2
Fairland 4-3
Fairfield Union 3-3
Zane Trace 3-2
Greenfield McClain 2-4
Northwest 2-2
Portsmouth West 2-2
Gallia Academy
Huntington 2-3
Western Pike 2-2
Portsmouth East 2-1

...Teams on the End Table ...

Belpre 1-3
Meigs 2-3
Rock Hill 2-4
Southeastern 3-4
Manchester
Eastern Pike 2-2
Coal Grove 1-3
Symmes Valley 1-2
Circleville 0-4
West Union 0-3
Reedsville Eastern 2-4
Ironton St. Joe 3-3

... I was reading through the online newspaper this afternoon - saw some DIFFERENT records for teams on my lists (ie. Chillicothe paper had Logan Elm at 7-0) ... I'll keep it as is (6-0), along with the other records until I hear from those of you who I trust more than the newspapers LOL ... thanks ahead of time for keeping me correct with the records ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 3

Post by Space Cowboy »

Apparently we will wait a little longer to see where Zane Trace and Vinton County both stand, seeing as how neither team seemed to want the win.

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

One correction about this week's schedule

Here is the schedule for the McDonald's Adams Co. Holiday Classic
All games at Peebles HS

Monday Dec 29th

Manchester v. West Union
Girls: 6:00
Boys: 8:00

Tuesday Dec 30th

North Adams v. Peebles

Friday January 2nd

Consolation Games

Saturday January 3rd

Championship Games

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Moving on up!!!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks for the info on the Adams County get together ... should be a great WEEK of hoops ... I've never been to Peebles for a game - what kind of size is the gym? ... how long does it take to get there from Portsmouth? ...

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Peebles is closer to you than Portsmouth.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... going to have to google Peebles HS for some directions ...

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

pfloyd wrote:... going to have to google Peebles HS for some directions ...

I'll pm them to you.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Pink,
Adena is 6-0.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I was wrong, Peebles is 90 miles and Portsmouth is 87. But you dont come down to the river, you go down 32.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd.....Logan to Peebles will wear you out. If you go 93 to Jackson and then 50 miles west on 32 it's the EASIEST way.....but still 90 miles. Or Lancaster to RT 159 to Chilly RT 50 to Rt 41 S...to Peebles....but you'll be too worn out to enjoy basketball, or possibly even life.

Rt 22 to Rt 41 might get you there as well....but you'll wonder what you got yourself into.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bozo ... thanks - I went back through my napkins and I DO have them with 6 W's I wrote win number 4 twice - darn bifocals and old age are killing me - might be the mustard stains on the napkins too LOL ...

Adena 73 vs Roundtown 63 (I saw this one)
Adena 62 vs Unioto 38
Adena 81 vs Paint Valley 60
Adena 73 vs Southeastern 48
Adena 50 vs WhiteOak 41
Adena 45 vs Greenfield McClain 43

6-0 it is ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Also note that while Whiteoak just has 1 win.....they gave Adena a solid game and lost in OT to 4-1 D2 Hillsboro.

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

Ironman92 wrote:pfloyd.....Logan to Peebles will wear you out. If you go 93 to Jackson and then 50 miles west on 32 it's the EASIEST way.....but still 90 miles. Or Lancaster to RT 159 to Chilly RT 50 to Rt 41 S...to Peebles....but you'll be too worn out to enjoy basketball, or possibly even life.

Rt 22 to Rt 41 might get you there as well....but you'll wonder what you got yourself into.

Living in Peebles and making the drive to Lancaster several times, the easiest way is to take 159 to Chilly, then take US 23 to OH-32. It's about an hour and half drive.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

He'll travel 15 minutes or so to get to RT 159 from Logan

pio24
Waterboy

Post by pio24 »

Fairfield Union is now 3-3.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

pfloyd, to confirm LE is 6-0 on the season and they go to Miami Trace Saturday for a non-league game.

The Westfall ballgame got PPD with the ice and the Chillicothe paper probably didn't know that.

gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

PinkFloyd:
Are your rankings based solely on merit and what a team has done to earn a spot or more of a power rankings, as in who you think the best team is and who would win? I just ask because, at least in my mind, that would affect where some teams would rank...For instance if it is based on merit so far IMO Chillicothe is about where they belong or a lil over rated, but if it is a power ranking I couldn't see them below 4 behind LE, I-town and Portsmouth. Just wondering is all. Great Job.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

gymratt ... it is a combination of both merit (wins/losses), power rankings (especially when looking at the schedules of a Chillicothe/Zanesville etc. - brutal in some cases) however at some point even the teams with the brutal records have to have W's ... probably the biggest factor is when I actually SEE the team in person , tells me a great deal about the philosophy of the coaching staff, the strengths and weaknesses of the team, team depth and TEAM itself ... so far I have seen 33 of the teams on my lists (and another 12 or so that aren't on the lists (some are not Southern Ohio teams - West Muskingum, St. Chucks, Rosecrans, NCH, Clark Montessori, REynoldsburg & other Central District teams, a few "foreign" teams, others Below the Line but they aren't ranked for good reason LOL) ... I've seen 7 of the Elite 8 (Oak Hill is always a hard one for me to get to see) ... hope that answers your questions ... bottom line is that I feel I know the teams well enough early on that I get them ranked where they should be to start with, then it DOES come down to getting it done on the court by ALL teams no matter the schedule ... AND if all else fails - I keep my 40 year old Ouija Board handy !!! lol ...

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Waterford now 5-0 after Saturdays game.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”