Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 6

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 6

Post by pfloyd »

... tough week for teams, Pfloyd, and anyone else trying to stay warm in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... wow ... subzero temps didn't put a stop to the sizzling action on the courts Below the Line AND in the case of Oak Hill who traveled ABOVE the Line - it was ALL good ... for the first time in my "posting/polling" career (8 seasons) I went with 3 teams at the top of the heap for the Week that Was - Week #6 - Logan Elm, Chillicothe and Piketon ... as a group the trio went 6-1 on the week with LE picking up the lone loss to (take a deep breath) a red hot shooting ... (60+% from the floor/79% from beyond the arc - 11/14) 8-2 Canal Winchester squad whewwwww - still only a 70-74 setback ... the only team in the top 3 that I didn't get to see this past week was Coach Lisath's Piketon boyz - was in the Cheap seats for Chillicothe's win over Marietta/Logan Elm over Amanda CC ... I still feel that both of these teams deserve the number one slot along with Piketon and their 10 game win streak ... North Adams has now moved into the #2 position ... at 9-0 the Devils are making a case for themselves as a contender for #1 consideration ... I've posted before that "the cream is rising to the top" - with 3 teams at number one the cup may "runneth" over ... some may feel that it's a cop out to have 3 at the top BUT having seen ALL of this weeks' elite 8 but Oak Hill from the Cheap Seats (listened to the webcast of the Oak Hill vs Marlington game yesterday - I know that doesn't count in my book either lol) ... I still feel that I have the 3 best teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line sitting where they should be - at the top ... IF NOTHING ELSE - it will lead to lots of discussion/debate for the Week that IS ...

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio ...

1. Logan Elm 9-1 ... LE finished the week at 1-1 ... losing to MSL power 8-2 Canal Winchester 70-74 Tuesday night ... the Braves battled without PG Adam Blake (losing Blake's 9 assts/8 ppg due to illness) ... endured CW's perimeter barrage 11/14 from 3-Point Land AND 60+% FG shooting for the game to ONLY lose by 4 pts ... wanted to see for myself IF Logan Elm deserved to remain in the top spot for the Week that IS - took the "pfloyd Vibe" to the Reservation to see LE take on Amanda CC ... the Braves didn't let me down as they put on a perimeter shooting display of their own going 10/20 from downtown ... led by Chad Holbrook's 21 (5 three balls)/Tim Congrove 19 (3 treys)/Cory Whaley added the final 2 threes for LE ... excellent D, outstanding passing/assts for Adam Blake (AB out vs CW was worth every bit of the 4 point deficit) - nothing wrong at the Reservation imo ... Logan Elm is still one of the top dogs ...

1. Chillicothe 8-2 ... the Cavs moved back into familiar territory at the #1 spot this week on the strength of 3 wins and their "lock down" Defense ... a sweep of SEOAL South foe Gallia Academy 52-25 in their season series ... Friday night SEOAL North Division leader Marietta came to the HAT hoping to come away with an interdivisional W - not to be as the Cavs defense smothered the Tigers 65-39 ... to wrap up a busy week Coach Kellough's boyz traveled to Wellston to take on "anybody that would show up" - as the scheduling roulette wheel finally settled on the Cavs playing Detroit Prep in the National Hoop's Classic - the result matched the prior 2 games of the week - a Chillicothe W 61-58 ... a BIG clash of powers Tuesday night as Ironton brings its' show to Chillicothe before the Cavs travel to the Warrior Dome to take on a reeling WHS ball club ... is #45 (6-8) Malik London back this week for the Cavs?

1. Piketon 11-1 ... the Redstreaks of Coach Lisath picked up 2 good wins for the Week that Was ... beating (10-3) Westfall 82-61 Tuesday night before finishing the week with a revenge W over Zane Trace 75-49 ... Piketon was led in both games by Sophomore PG Evan Legg ... averaging 18 points/6 assists per game on the week ... Jordan Brabson/Caleb Southworth put up double doubles vs Westfall ( Brabson 18 pts/11 rbs ... Southworth 12 pts/11 rbs) while all world Cody Smith put up 16 pts/6 rbs vs WHS ... 18 pts/7 rbs vs ZT to end the week... PHS hits the road this week taking on Huntington Ross as the appetizer Tuesday night before being entertained by Westfall as the Friday night entree to round out the weeks menu ...

2. North Adams 9-0 ... Unger/Jimison/Louden/Nenus/Latham/Rothwell/Roades/Burns/Newman took care of "bidness" routing Lynchburg Clay ball club 77-31 before having to go into OT vs sub .500 Eastern Brown to wrap-up the week 74-67 to go to 9-0 on the season ... NA takes on WhiteOak Friday night - the Oaks held North Adams to their lowest scoring output of the season in the season opener 57 pts (10 points under NA's season avg of 67.7 ppg) ...

3. Alexander 9-1 ... the Spartans improved to 9-1 by nearly doubling up on Meigs 77-39 in AHS' only action of the week ... Frost & Co. hit 28/49 shots from the field for a 57% clip while being even better from inside the arc 67% (24/36) ... full court pressure and a half court zone put this one away early as AHS jumped out to a 28-6 lead in the first 12 minutes of play - game, set and match ... Greg Frost 19/Zach Bobo 12/Kyle Barnhouse 14 led the Spartans ... Alexander takes on Vinton County in the Week that IS for supremacy in the TVC ...

4. Oak Hill 10-2 ... the Oaks stumbled early in the week losing to a very good Minford team 58-65 before turning things around with wins over Portsmouth West and a Sunday Matinee "W" vs Alliance Marlington (6-5) in North Canton 60-42 ... the Oaks were led by JD Hale 9/12 shooting - 21 pts ... Kyle Ondera 17/ Slone with 12 ... the Oaks shot 63% from the field while their 2-1-2 zone held Marlington to an icy 22% shooting ... OHHS has South Webster and Northwest on their menu for this week ...

5. Ironton 9-3 ... the Tigers split games on the week brushing aside Jackson 66-46 followed by a surprising loss at home to 3-7 Zanesville 50-66 ... a couple key napkin stats on the loss : the 'ville was 23/30 from the FT line vs I'town 6/8 ... the 'ville 12 assists on the game vs I'town "0" ... the 'ville "0" technicals vs I'town "2" on the game ... IHS has one game on the ledger for this week - the rematch vs Chillicothe at the HAT Tuesday night ... the Tigers taking round one 55-49 - BIG SEOAL South match up ...

6. Wheelersburg 9-2 ... the Burg survived a scare from Northwest early in the week as the Pirates went to overtime to beat the Mohawks 45-44 ... the Orange & Black looked more Orange & Black "like" beating Waverly 57-42 to go 2-0 on the week ... WHS has gone 5-1 in their last 6 outings - included in this stretch are 2 overtime wins, 2 games decided by 1 point ... the Burg's average winning margin in these six games is 7 pts ... Wheelersburg has Portsmouth West at home Tuesday night before traveling to 9-3 Lucasville Valley Friday evening ...

7. Portsmouth 6-3 ... probably a good thing that I have 3 number 1's this week or the Trojans would be on the outside looking up at the Elite 8 for the first time this season ... PHS lost their only contest of the week to the Purple of Logan HS 58-66 ... Portsmouth has lost 3 of their last 4 games ... 2-3 for their last five BUT look as this lineup PHS faced - (9-2) Wheelersburg (w)/(8-2) Chillicothe (L)/(9-3) Ironton (L)/ (8-4) Minford (w)/(3-6) D1 Logan (L) ... leave out Logan and the PHS opponents in that stretch are 34-11 with Logan 37-17 with the Purple losing 2 games by 1 pt ... point being : Portsmouth has played a beast of a stretch of games ... standing at 6-3 "ain't" bad at all from the Cheap seats I'm sitting in ... PHS travels to Jackson and a big interdivisional game with Marietta at Sutton Gymnasium to finish the week Friday ...

8. Vinton County 9-1 ... let's welcome VC to the Elite 8 for the first time in the 2008-09 campaign ... the Vikings of Coach Combs have quietly put together yet another outstanding season at the half way point standing at 9-1 ... the only set back for VCHS was on the road at Zane Trace - a 2 point loss 36-38 ... the Vikings 5-1 stretch has had VCHS holding the opposition to 39.5 ppg , in this stretch no team has scored over 43 pts ... Grillo, Prater,Allen, Guthrie, Reed, Lawhead, Ward, Thompson et al are getting it done ... BIG, BIG game Friday night as Elite 8 number 3 - Alexander will be the main course for VC ... we'll be watching our 'puter screens to see who takes the bigger bite out of whom come Friday night ...

... as for the rest of teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line? let's see how they handled the weather and the opposition in the Week that Was ...

... Treehugger Wannabees ...

Valley 9-3
Hillsboro 7-2
Minford 8-4
Marietta 7-3
Westfall 10-3
Adena 9-3
Southern 9-2
Fairland 7-4
Peebles 7-3
Chesapeake 6-3
Warren 5-4
Zanesville 3-7
Logan 3-6
Zane Trace 7-4
Fairfield Union 6-5
South Point 5-3
Waverly 5-3
Greenfield McClain 6-4
Waterford 7-4
Washington CH 6-5
Gallia Academy 4-7
Eastern Pike 6-4
Western Pike 6-3
Portsmouth East 6-3
Belpre 5-4
Athens 6-4

... Teams on the End Table ...

Reedsville Eastern 4-5
Huntington 5-6
Northwest 3-5
Ironton St. Joe 6-4
Coal Grove 4-5
Southeastern 4-7
Symmes Valley 4-6
Rock Hill 3-6
Jackson 2-10
Circleville 0'fer but getting closer ...

... a little late with this weeks edition of the Elite 8 ... sometimes "life" gets in the way ... look forward to reading more insights from all over Southern/Southeastern Ohio in the Week that IS ... thank you to all those who give us information about ALL of the teams Below the Line ... the more you read, the more you get out and see the hoops action, the more you learn to appreciate the kids we have the pleasure to watch, the coaches that put in all of the time to make the product we see every week the best show around ... what you find above all is that there are friendly people all over Southern/Southeast Ohio that are truly passionate about the game of high school basketball ... people who just want to shake your hand and are willing to sit down, spend a little time talking hoops, showing the pride they have in the schools they support ... it's been a great season so far AND we're only at the halfway point of the REGULAR season ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 6

Post by Ironman92 »

WEAK....3 #1's

Watered-down baby!

Nice job on all the records!

Seriously....and I warned you last year...Manchester is 7-5 but a killer schedule and remember last year...everyone back AND Leesburg Fairfield.....they play a very tough schedule as well and took down Court House. I think they are like 7-3.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

The Vinton County/Alexander game is Friday the 23rd.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I watched for your poll yesterday, you must have had alot of napkins to sort thru.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... ozzie ... gets tougher every week to sort through and find games played, scores, take the scores I do have and put them on my Pfloyd spreadsheet (or as close to a spreadsheet as this old "napkin" kind of guy will ever be able to do LOL) ... looking over the results of the games- who played who, looking back at the season as to who BEAT who already , who has played whom, the records of all of the "whoms" LOL ... throw in 11th hour Ouija Board consultation - you get the picture - then we had those 2 darn NFL games yesterday/last night! what's a guy to do ... AND it's darn hard to type all of that stuff using only 2 fingers to "hunt and peck" around on the keyboard LOL ...I'll have to quit my day job to keep doing this "stuff" ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks Hawkeye - Friday Night it is ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Little action tonight with the Roundtown boys traveling to Fairfield Union for a makeup game.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... any updates from Fairfield Union tonight? FU vs Roundtown - the only game in town tonight ... is this one on the net anywhere?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Tuesday night in the SEOAL ...

Logan vs Athens
Warren vs Zanesville
Jackson vs Portsmouth
Chillicothe vs Ironton
Marietta @ Cambridge

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Portsmouth @ JACKSON!!!

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

well i cant believe it but Fu lost to roundtown, fu was consistently up 10 and then in the second half it was just cville wanting it more.......

ugly for fu....

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

this is a big week for East with Notre Dame, Western, and Coal Grove all on the table at home.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

From the Northwest...

Circleville 55 Fairfield Union 53

CV - Wolfe 17 points and Klinebriel 14 points and 13 rebounds
CV - Makes nine of its last 14 shots
CV - Wolfe game winning layup with two seconds left.
CV - 1-8, 1-5 @ Hamilton Township Friday.
FU - Mathias 12 points and nine rebounds and McGlone 12 points.
FU - Led 37-27 midway in third period before 15-4 CV run
FU - Turned the ball over on its last three possessions
FU - 6-6, 3-3 @ Teays Valley Friday.

There you have it from the Northwest. The Tigers and Coach Eric Evans get their first 'W' of the season. I'll make a prediction that it won't be their last either.

Later today the wagon travels to Westfall High School as the 10-3 Mustangs host Coach Hoops' Unioto Sherman Tanks.
Last edited by bman on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

HoundsAre4Real
JV Team

Post by HoundsAre4Real »

Fairfield @ Manchester.

Should be a good game. The first was a close one with the Hounds winning 46-45...

goldentoe
Waterboy

Post by goldentoe »

I know Zanesville is down this year, but are they still playing there ridiculous non conference schedule?

If Warren loses that game to them on Tuesday, Warren will need a miracle to finish .500

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

pfloyd: Thanks for keeping our Trojans in the top 8........we have played a very good schedule, but we have to start taking care of our own business........tonight vs. Jackson will mark the halfway mark of the regular season, then on to Marietta on Friday, with Gallia Academy, Warren, and South Point next week, all home games.

Now is the time for Portsmouth to start building some momentum as we head toward the finish line of the regular season........and the tournament draw is just a couple of weeks away. Very important for PHS to put a good record on the board when the votes at Waverly are cast.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

South Gallia starts some young kids even freshmen. They have got one of their key players back off of suspension and have WON 3 of the last 4!!!!! They are 5-7 now!!

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

Im glad to see Reedsville Eastern finally hitting on a couple cylinders

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

South Gallia ought to at least be on the end table!!~!!!Thanks Pfloyd.......

Also, LOGAN IS NOW PLAYING BASKETBALL!!!!!! Isn't that awesome!!!

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

FYI Pfloyd, North Adams plays Ripley tonight in a make up game.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”