Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 8

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 8

Post by pfloyd »

... whoa!!! what a week!!! Mother Nature & Old Man Winter decided that they were going to play havoc with Hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line in the Week that Was ... their entire arsonnal of ammunition came out rain, sunshine, ice, sleet, freezing rain and snow - I thought I was living a commercial for the Weather Channel ! ... I truly hope that everyone made it safely through the power outages that all of the weather conditions brought down on Southern/SouthEast Ohio ... hoops obviously takes a back seat to the seriousness of the weather conditions endured by all Below the Line this past week - BUT the cancelation/postponement of the scheduled basketball games is having ADs scrambling to find makeup days still available AFTER already having set makeup days for the games postponed by weather earlier in the season ... a scheduling nightmare ... teams will be playing 3 to 4 games per week as the regular season races for the annual year end "train wreck" as the post season is quickly approaching in the distance ...

... we DID however HAVE a very limited menu of games played Saturday night in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... the appetizers WERE a godsend to some of us suffering from "hoops withdrawal" - a common affliction most often seen in late March Below the Line but due to weather conditions outside of our control many cases showed up in households throughout Southern/Southeastern Ohio this past week ... symptoms include headaches, shortness of conversations with spouses, signs of irritability when having taken the dog outside for the 3rd time in an hour, temporary mirrored carpel tunnel aches and pains from clicking the Direct TV remote trying to find every game on every sports channel available ( I had no idea that the Veterinary School of Southeast West Carolina had a basketball team???!!! LOL ) ... let's see how the limited menu effected the Elite 8 during the Week that Was ...

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 8 ...

1. Logan Elm 11-1 ... the Braves of Coach Stiverson hit the road this week to take on SVC representative Zane Trace before returning to the MSL vs Fairfield Union Friday night ... LE beat FU by 2 points earlier in the season 65-63 ...

1. North Adams 11-0 ... Coach Young's undefeated Devils try to extend the longest winning streak Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line (11) vs the newest entry into the Elite 8 Hillsboro (Tues)/ @ Fayetteville (Fri)/ vs Portsmouth West (Sat) ...

2. Chillicothe 9-3 ... Coach Kellough & Co get to enjoy home cooking all week as the Cavs entertain Rt. 23 rival Portsmouth (Tue) before inviting Columbus East to the Hat on Saturday ... will be interesting to see what impact 6-9 Malik London has at both ends of the floor for the Cavaliers - we'll be watching our computer screens this week for sure ...

3. Piketon 12-2 ... Coach Lisath's Redstreaks have but one regularly scheduled game in the Week that Is - at home vs 10-4 Adena ... Coach Kelley should be able to tell us if any make-ups are a part of this weeks action for the Piketon boyz...

4. Oak Hill 13-2 ... Coach Persin's Oaks managed to get a game played this past week as the Oaks beat the Waverly Tigers 60-41 ... OHHS travels to Rock Hill before taking on the #8 Lucasville Valley Indians at home ...

5. Vinton County 10-1 ... Coach Combs' Vikings will butt heads with the Athens Bulldogs Tuesday night before showing some Vinton County hospitality to the Waverly Tigers to round out VCs week ...

6. Alexander 10-2 ... Coach Gabriel's Spartans bounced back from their disappointing loss to VC by handing Athens its' 7th loss in their last 10 outings - Alex 61 Athens 56 ... Alex has a full schedule traveling to Trimble (Tue)/@ Wellston (Fri) before turning home to entertain Federal Hocking (Sat) ...

7. Ironton 10-4 ... Coach LaFon's troops will take on Gallia Academy in I'town (Tue) before finishing with a MAJOR SEOAL match-up vs Marietta (9-3) in a clash of orange & black at Sutton Gymnasium in historical Marietta ...

8. Valley 11-3 ... Coach Villenger and the Indians will try to make it a season sweep of SOC big dawg Oak Hill Tuesday night (65-55 VHS last gm vs OHHS) ... Saturday night Valley has invited one of those foreign teams - Greenup KY across the river for some home cooking in Lucasville ...

8. Hillsboro 10-2 ... the Indians of Hillsboro under the direction of Coach Tim Davis have bounced back from a 5-17 season last year to jump into the Elite 8 with a 10-2 record on the heels of their big win Saturday @ D1 Western Brown 58-49 ... key names for HHS include returnees from last season Jeremiah Seipelt, Emanuel Turner, Dylan Barraras, Aric Caroll and Airic Steagall ... Hillsboro will need to focus on the Week that Is as the Indians travel to take on co-number one North Adams (Tue)/ at home vs Washington CH (Fri)/ at Fairfield (Sat) ...

... Treehugger Wannabees ...

Marietta 9-3
Chesapeake 10-3 ... 10 point road win at Wheelersburg
Wheelersburg 10-4 ... lost 46-56 to the Peake at the burg
Minford 10-4
Portsmouth 7-5 ... 61-56 win over So Point
Peebles 9-3
Southern 10-3
Westfall 11-5
Zanesville 5-7
Warren 6-5
Logan 7-6 ... 5 wins in a row for the Purple, 51-48 over Lancaster
Fairland 8-5
Zane Trace 10-4
Adena 10-4
Greenfield McClain 8-5 ... W over Court House 59-52 dbl ot
Fairfield Union 7-7 ... 59-71 victim of Canal Winchester
Waverly 8-5 ... 60-41 loss to Oak Hill
Huntington Ross 8-6
South Point 7-5 ... 61-66 loss to PHS
Waterford 8-5
Washington CH 7-7 ... loss to Greenfield McClain 2ot's
Gallia Academy 5-8
Eastern Pike 8-4
Western Pike 8-4
Manchester 9-5
Coal Grove 8-6
Portsmouth East 7-4
Belpre 6-6
Reedsville Eastern 6-5

... Teams on the End Table ...

Athens 6-7 ... loss to Alexander 56-61
WhiteOak 4-9
Ironton St. Joe 6-8
Symmes Valley 5-7
Rock Hill 5-7
So Gallia 7-8 ... win over Teays Valley Christain
Southeastern Ross 4-10
Jackson 3-11
Circleville 2 - the rest ... 53-50 over Amanda CC

... best of luck to teams trying to shake off the rust from an idle week of action, in some cases nowhere to practice due to the power outages ... big games this week nonetheless for teams trying to break into the top 8 and for those who are trying to hang onto an elite 8 slot ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 8

Post by biggdowgg »

Trojans has had 4 games post poned, and still have 3 left to make up, Warren,Gallia,and Northwest.

3 games that was winnable for the Trojans, and would probably had us back up in the top 8.

but, we will have to wait and see how it plays out, maybe we can pull a big upset this tuesday in Chily to help the cause?

good looking list by the way.

right now,I am just hopeing we get some things worked out for the post season.

thansk for all the time you put in this Pfloyd, I always enjoy reading .

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

I have Chesapeake 9-3 on the year. Huntington paper and Pfloyd have Panthers 10-3. Wonder where I missed one? CHS was 8-3 heading into last weekend.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

jotings, you get peakes win over Burg last night?

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Yes. thanks. Panthers are actually 10-3 overall with two makeup games (River Valley and Rock Hill) and five regular season games left to play.

CHS losses have been to North Adams, 80-79, in the OU contest, Ironton, 67-59 and Fairland,69-55 in the SJI.

Panthers have wins over Gallipolis, 50-33,River Valley 90-64,Rock Hill 41-35, 82-64 over Huntington High, 82-64, Coal Grove 63-51, South Point 51-44,Wayne, 61-32, Fairland 47-44, Southern, 52-45 and Wheelersburg, 56-46..

DMB
Waterboy

Post by DMB »

Pfloyd still no room for the Buckeyes at the end of the table even with their win over Athens and standing at 6-6 overall. The Buckeyes will work hard to gain your respect and recognition.

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

Floyd,

The Redstreaks play Tuesday night at home versus Paint Valley. This is a make up game from this past Friday night. Then Friday night, Adena travels to the village. Originally, the Redstreaks were to play a 3rd game this week on Saturday night , making up the New Boston game; however, due to an SOC rule, New Boston has to play Western on Saturday night in a make up game, bumping the Redstreak/New Boston game to Feb 21st.

So, Redstreaks have two games at home this week; both SVC games.

Practices have gone well the past few days; a lot of energy bottled up in these kids; I think more importantly, they've gotten some rest and mending....Really starting to focus on the prize! Best practices I've seen all year!

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

[quote="Coach Kelley"]Floyd,

Originally, the Redstreaks were to play a 3rd game this week on Saturday night , making up the New Boston game; however, due to an SOC rule, New Boston has to play Western on Saturday night in a make up game, bumping the Redstreak/New Boston game to Feb 21st.

quote]

Coach, not a rule per se, more of a friendly gesture on all parties part to get their league game in. If they were forced to chose a later date and more weather comes no days left to make it up! lol I remember when I coached the boys at Piketon and we had to make a league game up after both teams had lost in the tourney, is was not fun playing a game then. Western is still in the hunt for their league so we cooperated!

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

pfloyd, somehow you have missed two of Waverly's wins. They are now 8-5.

WINS
Northwest
Rock Hill
Portsmouth West (2)
Eastern Pike
Minford
South Webster
Lucasville Valley

Focused
SEOPS

Post by Focused »

pfloyd
I always look forward to your Elite 8, and appreciate the time and effort put in to it... Great job!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... soccerfix ... I don't have a score for the first Portsmouth West game on Dec 16th ... I went back thru my napkins and found the South Webster/Waverly score on Jan 6th - Waverly 68 SW 46 ... I went ahead and changed the Waverly record to reflect the 2 missing W's ... thanks!!!

... thanks Focused !!! - you've seen them from the beginning on the huddle to now on SEOPs - you obviously have realized that I'm a sick, sick person LOL ...

Focused
SEOPS

Post by Focused »

pfloyd
All excellent basketball analyists are a little "psycho." :12223

I saw the Burg - Chesapeake game Saturday... The Panthers are improving..... playing tough defense, even without a big man....Have a couple of shooters in Copley and Webb.

Stegman does a good job on the inside for the Pirates.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Coach Kelley - somehow I knew you MIGHT be able to get us on the right track with the Piketon "menu" for the week LOL - thanks ... Paint Valley was a 33 point PHS win, Clay Roll and Co. from Adena was of the 10 point variety 68-58 Redstreaks ... good luck this week Coach ...

peeblesportsfan1391
Riding the Bench

Post by peeblesportsfan1391 »

Peebles was 72-66 over South Point @ South Point....is that not worth anything....I just don't get how Portsmouth is ranked over Peebles....I know some will argue strength of schedule, but Portsmouth has some questionable losses with the big one being to Jackson.... Peebles only losses however are to North Adams who is Pfloyds co-number 1 and number 6 ranked Alexander by 1.

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

Thanks Redstreak one for the correction....That's what I get for listening to other assistant coaches, I guess! lol

We're all about doing the right thing in Redstreak nation, so anything to help our cross-town/county partners, then we're glad to help out.

Will be nice to finally get the roundball tipped off again; one week without hoops is too long for me! Need to take care of a much improved Paint Valley squad tomorrow night!

Floyd, should be a big week at the Oven....Should try to come watch the game Friday night. Should be a fun week.

FYI...Piketon is ranked #10 in Div. III for second week in a row; Congratulations to the boys; they're working hard!!!

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Fairfield Union played a make-up game with Amanda last night.

FU 68
Amanda 34

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Smeltzy - thanks for the FU score ... definitely going to need help with scores of make up games especially when they are played on "off" days such as Monday etc... anything else you have for us as these last few weeks of the regular season rolls by please post for us ...thanks again

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... one more score to add to the Monday night list of games played last night :

Greenfield McClain 38
Unioto 27 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... results for tonight's games ...

Fort Frye 53 ...FF sweeps Warren on the season ...
Warren 50

Ironton 54
Gallia Academy 34

Marietta 68
Logan 57

jottings the jv score Logan JV 36 Marietta JV 55 ...

Logan Elm 50
Zane Trace 33

Circleville 35 ... 3 W of the season for Coach Evans' boyz ...
Unioto 32

Western Pike 54
Huntington 50

Portsmouth Clay 55
Eastern Pike 50

Vinton County 64
Athens 62

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... add to the list of finals ...