Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #2

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #2

Post by pfloyd »

... okay!!!! has the merry-go-round stopped yet ???? what a week of hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line - for the 2nd week running the Elite 8 numero "uno" has been beaten as Chesapeake fell to Southern Ohio strongmen Ironton and Waverly ... Piketon had in one week LOOKED to be one of the top 3 teams Below the Line BUT after taking down a talented Zane Trace team Tuesday night , the Streaks found life on the road vs last years nemesis Huntington to be the proverbial "pain in the backside" yet again as the Huntsmen knocked off PHS 52-49 ... Chillicothe came off their first W of the season against Xenia at the Hat looking to break their own losing streak vs Logan Elm ( losing twice last season) - not to be as the Braves soundly spanked the Cavs at the Reservation 49-34 ... Zane Trace continued it's fall from grace going 0-2 in the Week that Was - losing to Piketon by 20 before rounding out the week on the down swing losing to SHL's Peebles at the Convo by 5 , 61-66 ... ON THE BRIGHT side for teams on the elite list - Logan Elm picked up 2 W's ( Amanda Clearcreek/Chillicothe) to remain undefeated at 3-0 ... Peebles pushed it's record to 3-0 with wins over Ripley and Zane Trace ... Warren joined the 3-0 parade with wins vs Washington county rival Fort Frye and Maysville from the MVL ...

... taking a look down the lists there were quality wins had during the first full week/weekend of the 2009-10 Hoops campaign ... Waverly rebounded from its opening night loss to Logan Elm by picking up 2 wins - vs (2-1) Lucasville Valley (58-44) and finishing off the Peake at the Convo Saturday afternoon 63-56 ... Manchester knocked off Ironton @ I'town 66-62 ... Ironton itself had just come off of a home victory over at the time number one Chesapeake in OT 66-63 ... Jackson was a surprise easy winner over Athens 70-44 ... the Eastern Brown Warriors went to 3-0 on the season beating Fairland at the Convo 61-52 ... Reedsville Eastern continued to make believers by picking up their 4th win - beating a Huntington Ross team (50-36) which was fresh off an upset win over Piketon ... is your head spinning yet ? can you say "on any given night ...." ? ... this is exactly why as a sports fan that you have to love high school basketball - this year in particular the cream WAS at the top in the "preseason" list BUT it would seem that those same cream of the crop teams will have to "regroup" to get to the top once again as the season moves along ... finally let's give our congratulations to Coach Gary Shaffer of Washington Court House - Coach Shaffer picked up win 599 as the Lions beat Miami Trace 82-64 Friday night ...

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/Southeastern Ohio Week #2...

1. Logan Elm (3-0)
2. Warren Local (3-0)
3. Wheelersburg (2-1)
4. Piketon (2-1)
5. Peebles (3-0)
6. Chillicothe (1-1)
7. Waverly (2-1)
8. Chesapeake (1-2)

... Treehugger Wannabees ...

Vinton County (2-0)
Zane Trace (1-3)
Reedsville Eastern (4-0)
Huntington Ross (2-1)
Hillsboro (1-2)
Eastern Brown (3-0)
Manchester (3-1)
Belpre (2-0)
Alexander (4-0)
Southern (3-0)
Oak Hill (2-1)
Lucasville Valley (2-1)
Ironton (1-2)
Marietta (1-0)
Logan (0-1)
Jackson (2-0)
Washington CH (2-1)
Greenfield McClain (2-1)
South Webster (3-0)
Athens (2-1)
Northwest (1-1)
Fairland (2-1)
South Point (1-2)
Minford (2-2)
Symmes Valley (2-1)
Gallia Academy (2-1)
Fairfield Union (2-1)
Coal Grove (3-0)
Westfall (2-1)
Rock Hill (2-1)

... Teams on the End Table ...

Sheridan
White Oak (2-2)
Circleville (0-3)
Ironton St Joe (1-3)
Meigs (1-2)
Trimble (0-2)
Portsmouth (0-2)
South Gallia
Portsmouth Clay (1-3)
North Adams (0-3)

... as always please let me know if any of the records are incorrect - I WILL change them ... ran into some good people on the road this past weekend - bucking red from Fairland , was greeted by a Chesapeake fan who remembered me from the peake vs Wheelersburg game in Week #1 said he appreciated me coming to see the game on Saturday vs Waverly , on Saturday night sat with the Pritchard family from Logan Elm - they are very proud ( rightly so) of Tyler Pritchard (LE varsity) and Eli Pritchard (LE jvs) ... got to run into Coach Barrick of Wheelersburg (Convo), and Coach Maddox/past asst Coach Mauck of Warren (Logan Elm game) ... lots of great high school sports people all over Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... everyone have a great week - the best to all teams Below the Line in Week #3 ... looks like the pfloyd tour will be at home Tuesday to watch the Purple vs Fairfield Union, Wednesday off to the Eagles Nest to see Belpre vs Warren , Friday Jackson @ Logan , to round out the week back down to Belpre to see more orange & black as Belpre takes on Marietta ... great week of action ... see you in the Cheap Seats ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #2

Post by pfloyd »

... if I omitted any teams from week one let me know - sometimes my committee of one - me - WILL make a mistake or two or twelve, these old eyes "ain't" what they used to be ... LOL ...

QBear
JV Team

Post by QBear »

29 teams are tree huggers?
That looks like the voting for All-Ohio in Football.

You do a good job PFloyd. I have enjoyed your picks over the years.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... QBear ... how many would you like to be on the "tree hugger list"? ... I never set out to have any certain number on any of the lists - except on the Elite 8 list ... "let the chips fall ... yada yada yada " ...

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

Great job as always. Hoping my Panthers will benefit from the tough competition

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

FLoyd....The Redstreaks will look to regroup in a big way this week with 3 tough games. We can't look back; we play @ Westfall (Tue.), Columbus Mifflin (Wed. @ home), and Paint Valley (Fri. @ home) this week. This will be a true test for our boys this week; how do we bounce back??? We'll see...

Thanks for the consideration. How can you not love high school basketball??? I think basketball below "the line" is getting better and better each season!

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

pfloyd, I was at the Convo for some Sloppy! basketball. I was really shocked how Waverly put it on the 'Peake. Harrison Martin and Kretzer are solid ball players that Waverly will have again next year.

I was going to get at you on here before I went up to the Convo to maybe talk to you up there but I never did.

Good read and post like always though!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Manchester has lost to Eastern Brown

Eastern has beaten Manchester by 9, Whiteoak by 30 and Fairland by about 9...they have to be higher than #15 and higher than Manchester

Not much dropping of places after losing and having high quality wins

Whiteoak is 2-2

For what has been done thus far...Jackson should be over Oak Hill IMO

renob
Freshman Team

Post by renob »

Reedsville Eastern is 4-0

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks renob - I have them at 4-0 on my "napkin stat" sheet - just never made to the puter the way it is written lol ...

... I92 ... with the W over Manchester, Eastern Brown is now above Manchester in the rankings - thanks for correction ... hard to get the scores etc. from the "western regions" lol ... see this is exactly why YOU should be keeping the records for all these teams again ! lol

... as far as Jackson goes ... I'll see the Ironmen in person Friday night as they take on my Purple boyz ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Just 4 spots ahead of Athens and have a better record and defeated them 70-44

Jackson IF they can win at Logan on Friday would be top 12 with what they have already done....You know how often the Ironmen win in Logan

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

oh btw....c103 gives all the SHL scores (or most of them anyways)

Put it in your favorites

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

thanks I92 - will do ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Pfloyd, it was a good night on the reservation as Logan Elm had another solid defensive effort. One thing is for sure, however, that both LE and Chillicothe will be much improved by the end of the season and a Round 2 could certainly be on the docket. Chillicothe has a lot of talent, it's just raw talent, but I'm sure Coach Kellough and crew will work hard to mold it.

A couple of records...WCH and Westfall are both 2-1 and Circleville is 0-3.

One of the big games to watch this week is Logan Elm traveling to Bloom-Carroll in a battle of unbeatens. Piketon also travels to Westfall in a match of SVC co-champs from last year.

all-time athlete
JV Team

Post by all-time athlete »

quick ? pfloyd, on the teams on the tree hugger wannabees do you list them in any particular order or do you just write them down?....because I noticed Northwest was low on the list and they had Burg's # up until the 4'th quarter collapse, but they showed they can play and maybe even beat the best there is

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

btw......nice work pfloyd....I know this stuff takes a lot of time. It's very difficult to keep the records accurate.

Remember when I told you to come over here about 3 years ago as the huddle eliminated where we could put our rankings and took away all the chit chat

eaglegrad
Riding the Bench

Post by eaglegrad »

I think Huntington Ross may be 2-2. they lost to southeastern ross as well as eastern I am pretty sure.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Pfloyd: The way my Trojans are going, we are sinking fast in your rankings......and rightfully so........we are NOT playing good basketball, and just around the corner are 14 SEOAL games, starting at Warren on Friday.

I don't think you'll hear anymore of the "Zane Trace Sermon" from me this year......... :)

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I really think 4-0 Eastern should be ahead of a 1-2 Chesapeake and 1-3 Zane Trace..Huntington may be the best team they have faced, but they have beaten everyone soundly this year. I do however think you have the top spot correct. If Logan Elm gets past a very good Bloom Carroll team this week...they may just be in p.1 all season long!

Also, the TVC-Ohio Division teams are a combined 13-2 against non-conference opponents so far this season. The only losses are Athens to Jackson and Meigs to Warren.
Last edited by Dundas on Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

pfloyd..........I hate to say this but I don`t think Fairfield Union will be on any of your lists very much longer. One of their better scorers and a Senior starter is lost for the year and FU is not very deep this year. I look for your purple boyz to put a hurtin` on them this week and things to continue down hill, unfortunately. New coach Matchett has his work cut out for him in his first year and I wish him luck. He`s a good guy and a good coach.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”