Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #3

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #3

Post by pfloyd »

... after 3 weeks of hoops action Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line one would think that the "dust would settle" and we would have some sort of idea as to which teams will settle into the top 8 spots ... we would have some sort of idea as to who are the contenders and who are just pretenders ... not the case so far in the 2009-10 basketball season ... why is that ?????? - just a Cheap Seat observation, in the season that IS we have had more quality games between the teams in the top 20 than ever before ... teams have upped their non-conference schedules to give them a better idea as to where their teams stand and how far they have to go to get to where they will be competitive in the "one and done" season at the tail end of the year ... I can't remember so many quality match-ups this early in the season - every week the quality teams are putting their records on the line, playing vs top notch competition ... coaches are pushing their teams through scheduling the quality competition - coaches win, teams win, players win and as the fans - we win as well ...

... in the Week that Was Week #3 the top 8 teams from last week finished with a combined 8-5 record ... we saw an End Table team in the Portsmouth Trojans pick up road W's at Wheelersburg and Warren (I'm going to guess that the PHS AD is searching for more schools beginning with the "letter W" to add/replace on their schedule lol) ... for the first time this season the Elite's #1 team survived the week without a blemish as Logan Elm beat MSL foe Bloom Carroll 53-50 on a 3 point shot by Adam Blake as time ran out ... Piketon goes 2-1 on the week losing to an undefeated Columbus City League Mifflin squad by one point 84-85 while bookending wins over Westfall and Paint Valley ... the SHL came away from the 3rd week of action with 2 undefeated teams - Peebles , Eastern Brown ... the SEOAL wasn't so lucky as the top 2 contenders Chillicothe and Warren each picked up losses, the losses pinned "L's" on all leagues teams except for ..... wait for it .... the Jackson Ironmen of Coach Jordan who after a 10 day layoff traveled into the historically not so friendly confines of the Logan Chieftains gymnasium and came away with a solid win over the Purple 72-65 ... to round out last weeks elite 8 - Chesapeake and Waverly both went undefeated with the Tigers of Waverly beating the 'burg 47-42 and the 'peake went 2-0 with wins over Rock Hill and Coal Grove ... as you might guess there was movement up and down the lists this past week - like playing chop sticks on the piano - as the committee of one - me - has taken into account records, quality wins, quality losses, opponents, opponents records ... folks this is a job !!! lol ... let's take a look at who made the Elite 8 list for the Week that Was Week #3 ... any surprises? any disappointments? whichever list your team made or didn't make know that the committee of one - me - IS looking at everyone Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ...

Pfloyd’s Elite 8 of Southern/Southeast Ohio Week #3

1. Logan Elm (4-0)

2. Piketon (4-2)

3. Peebles (4-0)

4. Warren (4-1)

5. Waverly (3-1)

6. Vinton County (4-0)

7. Eastern Brown (6-0)

8. Chesapeake (3-2)/Chillicothe (1-2)

… Treehugger Wannabees …

(2-2) Ironton
(3-3) Zane Trace
(5-0) Reedsville Eastern
(4-1) Huntington Ross
(2-3) Wheelersburg
(3-2) Hillsboro
(3-0) Jackson
(5-0) Southern
(3-1) Lucasville Valley
(3-2) Manchester
(4-1) Athens
(3-1) Oak Hill
(5-2) Alexander
(4-2) Federal Hocking
(3-1) Gallia Academy
(2-2) Portsmouth
(2-2) Marietta
(1-2) Logan
(4-0) South Webster
(3-2) Washington CH
(3-2) Greenfield McClain
(3-3) WhiteOak
(3-3) Belpre
(2-2) Northwest
(2-3) South Point
(3-2) Fairland
(3-0) Eastern Pike
(2-4) Minford
(2-3) Trimble
(4-1) Nelsonville York
(3-1) Symmes Valley
(3-2) Coal Grove

… Teams on the End Table …

(2-3) Fairfield Union
(2-4) Westfall
(2-3) Rock Hill
(2-2) Wellston
(1-4) Ironton St. Joe
(1-4) Meigs
(0-4) North Adams
(1-4) Portsmouth Clay
New Boston
South Gallia

... there you have another week in the books - a great week at that ... the transition from football to basketball is now complete for all teams ... it is now all about "hoops" ... holiday tournaments will provide the opportunity for even more teams in the Elite 8 to meet on the court of battle ... some teams have put the 2009 portion of their seasons in the books and will pick it up after we ring in the New Year of 2010 others have a light schedule going into Christmas ... either way the Pfloyd 2009-10 Tour continues through the hills of Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... best of luck to all teams Below the Line - and to all posters have a enjoyable , safe Christmas Holiday ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:48 pm, edited 8 times in total.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #3

Post by biggdowgg »

boy,is Trojandave ever gona be on you :lol:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... biggdowgg - I couldn't "NOT" look at the previous 2 losses to South Point and South Webster ... the Trojans keep winning , the Trojans keep climbing the list ... Jackson at home on Tuesday - a "W" moves PHS closer to the promise land ...

... IF I have left off a team that NEEDS to be mentioned - let me know ... IF I have records incorrect - let me know ... Eastern Brown may have played last night but I couldn't find a score ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

OMG FLOYD ... Not a single team from the TVC? You got to be kidding?

Eastern (5-0) ? .... They have held certain opponents to 26 pts, 27, beat Miller 67-to-11 and beat Huntington in the convo 50-36. 5 games, four different opponents held to under 36 points!

They have the Coach, the talent and they possess what you like most - 'An awesome defense'

Give the boys from Reedsville some love Floyd - Next time I talk to Howie (which I do at least once or twice a month) we may have to discuss your 'lack of love for the Eagles' this year.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

PFLOYD ... I SEEN WHERE YOU MAY BE HEADING TO VINTON TUESDAY? IF SO - LOOK FOR ME (EITHER AT THE OFFICIAL SCORERS TABLE) which I probably won't be with it being such a big game - us Media fellas are sort of at the bottom of the Totem pole when it comes to accomidations at sporting events ... lol ....

I will probably be on the 'opposite' side of the official scorers table (the visiting bleachers) ... They have a table at the top in the center ... Definitly try and sit near there or stop up and say hi at least - its been awhile since we have had the chance to gab about area hoops ... I know Gibby will be with Channel 15 around the same place and heck, if there is enough room, you can spread your 'napkins' out on the table to make keeping your stats a little easier ... I'll even purchase a bag of popcorn for ya if you keep assists & steals for me ...lol ... people don't realize keeping stats for BOTH teams throughout a basketball game is pretty difficult ... scoring, rebounds, turnovers, team fouls, steals, assists, blocked shots is a handful when you have to do BOTH teams - if you blink once during the game - you missed something ... lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... LOL 93dog ... Howie knows I would love to move the Eastern boyz into the top 8 but they need more than the one win over Huntington to do that imo ...

Waterford W 65-26 ... no wins
So Gallia W 74-27 ... at most 2 wins?
Trimble W 60-49 ... started out 0-4 before picking up 2 wins this week
Huntington W 50-36 ... only team EHS has beaten with a winning record at 4-2
Miller W 67-11 ... no wins

... Howie has them playing well - no doubt, but this next stretch after Tuesday home game vs Meigs will tell me a lot - road games @ Athens, @ River Valley, @ Fed Hock, and @ Southern ... last I checked Vinton County is in the TVC !!!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Vinton County is in 6th...i agree 93...Eastern should be atop the huggers if not 8th...they are for real!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... that's what I like - a little "agreeing to disagree" ... I'll pass along all of the opines to my committee of one ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... seeing all of the teams posted in the order that they ARE in IF any team should be feeling slighted it would be Ironton imo ... as the Tigers have beaten BOTH of the teams at the 8 spot of the Elite list - Chesapeake and Chillicothe ... the I'town fans have a legit argument ... IHS can bump a couple teams with a "W" Tuesday vs a visiting Warren Warrior team in their big time holiday classic ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 93dog ... I'll stop up and see you Tuesday night .. as far as keeping YOUR stats for you? lol - you get the big bucks for that now right ... lol ... see you Tuesday evening ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I think some of your teams are going off of how good they were supposed to be and not what they have done thus far.

I agree that Piketon is probably the 2nd or 3rd best team in the district.....but what have they done so far? They have been upset......They haven't earned the #2

Eastern Brown is 6-0....with wins of big school Western brown 65-47 and then over Georgetown (D4 state champ 2 years ago)

Who has Chilly beat?

How can Ironton be in the top 10 at 2-2 while being upset at least once

2-3 Wheelersburg over 3-0 Jackson....that's all tradition...no way should Burg be over Jackson

Whiteoak is 3-3 and Leesburg Fairfield should be mentioned somewhere

Good job.....sorting all the info isn't easy remember the c103 website for SHL scores....it's not always up to date....but it has many of the scores that are hard to find on the western hemisphere

highspeed
Riding the Bench

Post by highspeed »

Floyd - Wellston has beaten New Boston 70-36 and Meigs in overtime and has an overall record of 2-2 and their only losses are to NY and Athens whom both together have an 8-2 record, yet you have them both(New Boston) and (Meigs) listed and you do not list the Rockets. Would you please give the young Rockets some Floyd love and give them their just due. Thanks!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... highspeed ... as the committee of one has proclaimed "it shall be done" ...

Kickinurz
Freshman Team

Post by Kickinurz »

As I read these posts it makes me agree with pfloyd even more. Folks ,you have to understand that quality of teams that you play, your talent, and your record do matter. Folks you have to understand schedules. If you want to be elite ,you must play elite non-conference teams. Like Waverly,Burg,Peake,and LE. For instance I look at LE and they are undefeated with a nice schedule as Waverly has 1 loss. On the flip side my friends down at ZT play a tough schedule (5 games versus the top 4 of 8 listed)and lose what I would say may be the 3rd best player in the SVC and will struggle until he comes back. Then they will scare people in the district with a so so record.They can win in conference ,but have a brutal non-conference agenda. Pfloyd totally knows his hoops. I like the top 8 that he has posted. If you wanna move up have your AD call a good program and schedule 3 or 4 tough non-league games next year.

independent2012
Freshman Team

Post by independent2012 »

I agree,the schedule has to play an important role,this is a good list,it is now the time of year where we can throw early out the window,conference play is here,what coaches will adjust,the cream will always rise to the top,no more excuses,if your team is not in the top 8 win games,PFloyd has a lot of integrity,good job and keep up the good work.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I understand, however.....there are a few teams who were expected to be very good with talent returning from good teams that have played a solid schedule.....but have been upset by lesser teams and have not excelled during the other games. Those upper echelon teams will likley get it going and prove more than worthy as the season moves along......right now I don't feel some of those teams have earned the high ranking.

It's far different, yet many similarities a team like Oklahoma in football had the high preseason ranking....and had the high ranking very early on and appropriately when they fell to 2-2 they were ranked about 22nd......IMO some of the rankings above would be the same as having Oklahoma @ 2-2 about #9 and above Cincy and TCU and Boise and such.

pfloyd's rankings are a good measure IMO of how you would bet a game......which is completely fine. It has brought some good debate.

"If your team is not in the top 8 win games"....what if your team is in the top 8 with just a 1-2 record.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Last week Hillsboro was listed in the 13 spot....won both games and dropped 2 spots (I do agree with current slot though...just being a pain)

Ironton was 1-2 and #22 last week...they win 1 game and are now in the #10 spot

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I agree with Ironman, about Chilly at 1-2 doesnt belong in the elite 8

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

Time to get Portsmouth Clay off your list. They are struggling horribly

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Floyd...Trimble is 2-4 on the year. lost the first 4 and have won two in a row against Waterford and previously unbeaten Nelsonville York.

..Really enjoy your top 8!! Personally i have no idea how you keep track of soo many teams and do such a good job at putting it all together! Glad you do what you do bud!! Not everyone will agree on the list but just look at it this way...you could impliment the BCS ranking system...then no one would agree!!! haha

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”