Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #6

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #6

Post by pfloyd »

... one word - "SNOW" - describes Week #6 ... the ADs are rolling the dice working to reschedule games during a season of weather uncertainty ... I don't even need the trusty Ouija Board to see the future - teams playing 3 or in some cases 4 games in a week to squeeze in the regular season ... there are some teams that are needing to play 15-16 games in the next 5 weeks ... whoever it was doing the snow dance - it worked!!!- let it go until next year!!! (had to be a teacher lol ) ... just as the schedule for the Week that Was -Week 6 was much abbreviated so will be this weeks Elite 8 ... not much bloviating - but it doesn't mean YOU can't have some continued "good debate" over who should be where on the lists ... folks I also ask that IF we know of make-up dates for games happening in the Week that IS - Week #7 please let us know , especially if these games are being made up on odd days of the week for boyz hoops - thanks ...

... Pfloyd’s Elite 8 of Southern/Southeastern Ohio Week #6...

1. Logan Elm (7-0) ... as I've posted before, one of Coach Stiverson's "game goals" on the defensive side is for the Braves to hold their opponents to 50 points or less in each game played ... a look at the defensive napkin stats for LE - in the 7 games in the books, LE defensively have given up 50 points in but one game, held 2 opponents in the 20's, 3 opponents in the 30's, one in the 40's for a defensive average of allowing a meager 35.7 ppg while scoring at 56 ppg ...

2. Peebles (7-0)... Peebles in their 6 game win streak to start the season are allowing 53.1 ppg on defense while putting up the highest offensive output of any of the Elite 8 scoring at 71.7 ppg ...

3. Waverly (6-1)... the Tigers got a taste of defense in their opening game loss to Logan Elm when WHS was held to 37 points ... with THAT experience in the books Waverly has held opponents to 48 ppg ... Waverly has offensively put up 54.9 ppg ... the average for WHS in their lone loss of the season show 37 pts offensively vs 55 defensively in the loss ...

4. Piketon (6-3)... the Streaks of Coach Lisath have pushed the offensive end at 71.1 ppg ... defensively PHS has held opponents to 52.4 ppg ... in their 3 losses Piketon has played their opponents close losing the 3 games by a total of 6 points ... in losing efforts PHS offensively 60.3 ppg/ defensively 62.3 ppg ...

5. Ironton (7-2) ... Coach LaFon has built his program at the defensive end over the years ... so far in the 2009-10 campaign his Fighting Tigers are giving up 54.3 ppg while outscoring opponents with a 62.2 ppg average ... in the 2 Tiger losses IHS is putting up 58.5 ppg /giving up 66.5 ppg ...

6. Eastern Brown (6-1) ... the Warriors suffered their first loss of the season this past week losing to Hillsboro 64-66 ... EB defensively is hovering around that 50 ppg mark sitting at 52.3 ppg ... the Warriors on offense are pushing the 70 ppg mark at 66.6 ppg ...

7. Warren (5-2) ... Coach Maddox's and the WHS TEAM seems to be getting grief for their 5-2 record (go figure) ... the numbers so far for the Warrior Blue has them scoring on offense at 62.4 ppg while giving up 55.4 ppg defensively ... in the 2 losses Warren's defense has broken down giving up 72.5 ppg ...

8. Athens (6-1) ... many wonder how and why the Bulldogs of Coach Skinner are sitting on the Elite 8 list AND how they are 6-1 on the season thus far ... the numbers don't lie, Coach Skinner has replaced "havoc ball" with a structured offense, structured defense with a purpose - where players ARE under control at both ends of the floor; the system in place takes advantage of the athletic abilities of the players and has given Athens the opportunity to play with and beat ANY opponent (not just weaker opponents) ... the numbers? defensively Athens has the 2nd best defensive average of any team on the Elite 8 list holding opponents to 45 ppg ... while the defense is doing its' job keeping teams under the magic 50 mark ... offensively the Dawgs have controlled game tempo at home and on the road while scoring 51.1 ppg offensively ...

Ranking the Elite 8 Offensively

Peebles 71.7 ppg
Piketon 71.1 ppg
Eastern Brown 66.6 ppg
Warren Local 62.4 ppg
Ironton 62.2 ppg
Logan Elm 56 ppg
Waverly 54.9 ppg
Athens 51.1 ppg

Ranking the Elite 8 Defensively

Logan Elm 35.7 ppg
Athens 45 ppg
Waverly 48 ppg
Eastern Brown 52.3 ppg
Piketon 52.4 ppg
Peebles 53.1 ppg
Ironton 54.3 ppg
Warren 55.4 ppg

… Treehugger Wannabees …

4-3 Chillicothe
4-3 Portsmouth
3-2 Jackson
3-3 Chesapeake
4-5 Hillsboro ... the boro has won 6 in a row ... their "on court" record is 7-2 ... they ARE for real-is the Elite 8 in their future?
6-1 Reedsville Eastern
5-4 Zanes Trace
5-2 Vinton County
5-1 Oak Hill
5-1 Lucasville Valley
7-2 Washington CH
6-0 Southern
3-2 Wheelersburg
3-3 Belpre
5-1 Eastern Pike
4-0 South Webster
5-5 WhiteOak
5-4 Manchester
4-3 Huntington
6-4 Alexander
2-4 Logan
4-4 Unioto ... standing at 4-2 in the SVC
4-4 Federal Hocking
4-4 Trimble
4-4 Gallia Academy
4-2 Nelsonville York
4-3 South Point
3-4 Fairland
2-3 Northwest
2-5 Marietta
3-4 Lynchburg Clay
6-4 Greenfield McClain
4-6 Leesburg Fairfield
3-4 Fairfield Union
7-2 Coal Grove
2-5 Minford
3-2 Symmes Valley

… Teams on the End Table …

4-7 Westfall
3-5 Southeastern Ross
1-6 North Adams
1-6 Circleville
3-4 Rock Hill
4-2 Wellston
2-2 Green
Portsmouth East
New Boston
1-6 Western Pike
1-6 South Gallia

... as we head into the Week that IS let's hope for good weather, good roads and it's a given we always have good basketball Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... best of luck to ALL teams, players and fans in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ...

... IF I blatantly leave off a deserving team PLEASE let me know , I looked at last weeks list- I left off Alexander and Greenfield McClain ... lots of things happen when my eyes are involved LOL ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #6

Post by pfloyd »

... LOL ... thanks ... I'll get the Trojans on the list ... LOL

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Well, the snow gods have played havoc on the sked, here in AZ it is the 70's and not a drop of snow in Phoenix area. With the teams that have so much make up games to do it will really show their metal...The main thing--teams have fun and enjoy this time in your life. As usual PF a big Thank You for taking time and the love of the HS game to put together this list
Wipalawalt

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... wipalawalt you are more than welcome ... hopefully the committee of one - me-can continue to give everyone something different to look at, read each week ... don't want to "drive" posters away by getting predictable ... 70's????? no snow????? "bite me!" LOL ...

independent2012
Freshman Team

Post by independent2012 »

Pfloyd you are very predictable with Warren in the top 8,some teams lose to high caliber ball clubs and drop completely out some get beat by cupcakes and stay right where they are,but at least you put in the time.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... independent2012 ... it is always fine to disagree with the lists BUT when you do you are taken more seriously when you support your criticism with facts or examples ... Warren was in the 2 spot before dropping 2 positions when they lost to Ironton, dropped 3 positions when they lost to Portsmouth down to #7 where they are currently ranked after beating Logan at Logan over the Christmas break ... who are the teams you are talking about who drop completely out when beaten by "high caliber teams"? who are the teams getting beat by "cupcakes" and stay right where they are ? ... you have to be more specific than throwing out a statement that you don't support ... the teams I started the season with in the Elite 8 are the teams I felt should have been there , I felt that they WERE head and shoulders ahead of the rest - Warren was one of those teams based on last year and who they had coming back this season ... they ARE 5-2 ... losing 2 in row before the win at Logan - losing to Portsmouth and Ironton ... as I said I don't know which are the other teams you have issues with ... and yes "at least" I put in the time ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Warren takes on Chillicothe at the Warrior Dome Tuesday night in a makeup game from 1/08 ... a must win game for the Warriors to hold serve at home and NOT pickup their 3rd loss in the SEOAL ... on the flip side the Cavs can pick up a win over a top 8 team which would move them up in the rankings depending on how they handle a home game on Friday vs Jackson ...

Hardwood
JV Team

Post by Hardwood »

6-0=21?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 6-0 by beating:

Miller
Waterford
So Gallia
River Valley
Federal Hock
Meigs

... DOES equal 21 imo ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I think Whiteoak is 5-5....lost to Cincy Country Day and then beat Fairfield
Last edited by Ironman92 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I92 this is what I have for WhiteOak ...

North Adams W 68-61
Williamsburg L 51-70
Eastern Brown L 39-69
Manchester W 54-52
Peebles L 51-65
Adena W 55-32
Hillsboro L 52-55
Lynch Clay W 61-56
Country Day L
Leesbg Frfield W 61-39

... 5-5 ... I'm missing a W somewhere ? ...

Sportsfanallnitelong
JV Team

Post by Sportsfanallnitelong »

pfloyd - I really enjoy reading all of your posts. You, not others like others, shoot straight from the hip. You put in a great amount of time that I and awhole lot of people appreciate. You call it like you see it. 6 - 0 and beating the teams u just mentioned isn't awhole lot to brag about in my opinion either. Warren, on the other hand is right where they should be. The Chill game on Tues. will define where their season is heading. You are right, the 2 losses were big time defensive let downs. Against Portsmouth, they (Trojans) got very hot in the second half and shot I think around 70%. Against Ironton, they are just darn good. Very Quick, good defense, very well coached. They should be in your elite 8. The fans of Warren always expect good results and when they lose, some people want to play the blame game and start pointing fingers. Coach Maddox and his staff have everything under control. Working hard in practice and waiting for the snow to stop and the roads to clear up so he can get his boyz in BLUE back on the hardwoods to WIN some games. There is a lot of basketball left to play. Don't want to bable on but just wanted to support you and all u do. Thanks alot. Keep up the great work.

independent2012
Freshman Team

Pfloyd first of all I want to say that I really enjoy the weekly elite 8,as far as facts I went back to week one,you had the #1 team getting beat by the number #3 team,they fall seven spots to #8.Week three the #2 team was beat by a tree hugger and fell two spots,as far as Warren I don't have anything against them,but a DII,getting beat by a tree hugger DIII,at home and only fall two spots,and then get beat handily by another DIII,and stay in the top 8 to me is suspect.thats my starter kit,if you want more let me know.I may or may not be able to find another blemish or two.

eaglegrad
Riding the Bench

Post by eaglegrad »

Lucasville Valley is now 5-1 with a win over Nortwest last week.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

pfloyd: See you Friday in the Land of the Purple.......just found out over the weekend that 6-5 sophomore Dion McKinley will be making his debut on the varsity.......he will be a big difference maker once he gets some experience........he has a nice skill set and will be a HUGE compliment to Tre Underwood.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

independent2012 ... that's better !!! support your disagreement that's all I ask ... factors that enter into the preseason and/or Week 1 ups and downs is the initial placement of teams - they were based on "expectations" plus facts as we knew them (ie. Wheelersburg was placed #1 on my preseason ranking due to what players they had returning - at least what we thought they had returning - what my committee of one - me - didn't know was anything about the 3 players NOT coming out for the team) ... another factor is that I was able to get out to see 5 of my top 8 "preseason" teams in the first week of action (this included Wheelersburg, Logan Elm, Zane Trace, Chesapeake, Piketon for good measure I also saw Hillsboro, Waverly in that first week as well) - seeing IS believing or in some cases seeing tells us what the teams bring to the table or the hardwood ... anyway you look at it - I do the best I can with the knowledge base I have ... and as I've posted many times - disagreement as to who is where on the lists is always welcome ( just support the point being made ) ... thanks for the feedback!

... trojandave - I'll be there! wouldn't miss a chance to see the Trojans vs this years edition of the Purple ... definitely want to see the men of Troy at full strength ... the Chiefs have Patrick Angle back in action -he led the team in the LHS loss at Newark Saturday night knocking down 22 points ... both games he has played so far he has led the Chiefs in scoring ... I look for a very competitive game ... see you there !

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

Great to hear that McKinley will be on the floor. He will add a spark on the boards for the Trojans. They held a nice lead over Chilli late in the game and just didnt make the free throws Gallia, Logan, Ironton and Warren up next if this team could move threw this tough slate at 3-1 I would be ecstactic, 2-2 would not be bad either ...Go Trojans

independent2012
Freshman Team

Appreciate the explanation,like I said earlier I think you do an awesome job,and look forward to sunday nights to see your rankings.

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Pfloyd the dragons have 2 tough games this week at chesapeke and South Point who I think is a little low on the list. Also I think River Valley should be at least on your end table.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Eastern Pike hopes to keep moving up your list...They set at 5-1 and have a huge league matchup with SOC 1 favorite Symmes Valley Tuesday Night.Since Eastern's loss to Piketon,they have beaten Western and Clay handily but they will indeed be tested tomorrow by the Vikings.Kris Tibbs from Symmes Valley is probably the best player that no one talks about and they have shooters around him and are well coached.The Eagles will have there hands full in the biggest league matchup to date this season.Should be fun at the Nest tomorrow.

GO EAGLES!!

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”