Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #7

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #7

Post by pfloyd »

... the week that was Week #7 brought with it a boat load of games - league games, invitational tournament games , and weather related makeup games ... we saw some teams play as many as 4 games this past week ... the majority of teams are at the half way point of their respective "menu of games" for 2009-10 ... IF you were out and about this past week there were games to satisfy your high school hoops thirst - from the teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line to the "out of state, D1 loaded, 6-7+ dunking machines that we all wish could find their way to OUR favorite Southern Ohio team BUT reality says "it ain't happening" LOL ...

... after this weeks action the committee of one - me - has had it's most difficult time yet putting together the Elite 8 list ... consideration had to be given to not only wins and losses but also WHEN these wins and losses took place ... do I put more emphasis on how the teams are playing now vs early in the season ... as a result we have the biggest shakeup yet in the rankings ... nothing irrational - we had a few teams hanging onto their rankings in wait of them showing their "expected" level of play ... teams dropped or were replaced on the merit of their current level of play both down and up the lists ... take a look - at the very least a great deal of debate will take place - which IS a good thing imo ... as has been the case since the Elite 8 was introduced by 93bulldog back on the huddle many moons ago - let the beatings begin !!!!

…Pfloyd Elite 8 of Southern/Southeast Ohio Week #7…

1. Logan Elm (10-1)

2. Peebles (9-0)

3. Ironton (8-2)

4. Chillicothe (6-3)

5. Portsmouth (6-3)

6. Oak Hill (8-1)

7. Athens (9-1)

8. Zane Trace (7-4) ... Reedsville Eastern (8-1)

… Treehugger Wannabees …

6-0 South Webster
6-3 Waverly
7-4 Piketon
6-3 Chesapeake
7-3 Warren
5-6 / 8-3 Hillsboro
7-2 Vinton County
7-3 South Point
9-2 Washington Court House
8-2 Eastern Brown
6-2 Lucasville Valley
4-3 Jackson
7-1 Eastern Pike
5-4 Belpre
4-3 Wheelersburg
5-6 Fairfield Union
6-2 Southern
6-6 WhiteOak
6-5 Manchester
5-4 Huntington
7-5 Alexander
5-5 Unioto
3-6 Logan
6-4 Federal Hocking
4-5 Trimble
4-6 Gallia Academy
3-6 Lynchburg Clay
4-4 Nelsonville York
4-5 Fairland
2-9 North Adams
8-3 Coal Grove
3-3 Northwest
6-5 Greenfield McClain
6-7 Westfall
4-6 Leesburg Fairfield
4-4 Symmes Valley
4-5 Portsmouth Clay

… Teams on the End Table …

2-7 Marietta
3-7 Southeastern Ross
Green
1-8 Circleville
3-6 Rock Hill
4-4 Wellston
Portsmouth East
2-8 Western Pike
1-7 South Gallia

... with all of the makeup games, the difficulty in getting all of the scores from parts of Southern/Southeastern Ohio, records are getting more difficult to keep updated correctly - please correct any mistakes you see, I will adjust as needed based on incoming information ... I will look over the list after it is posted to see IF I have included all the teams I intended - at times I omit unintentionally a team or two or twelve by mistake ( hard to read the napkins after all of the scratching out , adding and moving teams around takes place ... should be yet another great week in Southern Ohio basketball - I don't think it has been any other way since the opening tip off this season ! best of luck to all the teams Below the Line during the Week that IS ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gh123
JV Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #7

Post by gh123 »

yessssssssssssssssss REEDSVILLE EASTERN--WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

That a Baby, PFloyd!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

must have read that napkin '"note to self" :122246

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

What does South Webster need to do?

Beat Portsmouth?
Beat Waverly?
Beat Whelersburg?
Not lose?

I'd have Oak Hill higher....but agree Chilly is a killer at this point of the season.

Good List.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I92 ... the Jeeps made a 15 or so place JUMP this week ... Coach Ater's boyz take on a very good Valley Indians squad Tuesday night - a "W" in that one can't hurt ... down the road SW has a home date with Oak Hill - a win on Jan. 29th would do the trick I would say ...

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

The dark side of the moon says this list is good!! It is always fun to read all the posts and see how folks stand behind their teams and make good points as to why they should be wherever...PF, once agian a big Thank You from an old Trojan in AZ
wipalawalt

bucks10
Waterboy

Post by bucks10 »

still no love for the pointers? hopefully a win a peebles this saturday may change your mind...but thats a pretty good elite 8..i just think south point might be right there at 9 or 10

bucks10
Waterboy

Post by bucks10 »

but portsmouth? didnt south point beat them in week 2?...i believe it was a big win too..maybe 15 or 20 points

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

While I'm proud of my Portsmouth Trojans and their cracking the elite 8 list, I can understand SW and South Point fans being upset with Portsmouth being ahead of them. But thank God this sport aint like college football. Where the opinion of one man or group of pollsters or even worse, a freakin computer ranking system determines who gets to play in the end. This is just jockeying time for tournament play.

While I think we'd beat both south point and south webster with the return of Tory Horne and Dion Mckinley, you can't deny the fact that they both beat my beloved Trojans. They both got us early. And we played terrible at South Point...There's really no excuse how we played that game. No Trojan played well that game. Me personally, I don't think we've earned any elite accolades yet. If we beat Ironton this week and follow it up with a home Warren win, then I think we are legit elite 8'ers. Just my opinion. But I will say, from the eyeball test, we are elite 8 caliber. And my eyes don't lie, lol.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Great list pfloyd! With road victories against Portsmouth,Warren,and a blowout win in Jackson the Cavaliers are peaking at the right time(as they have been for the last 3-4 years). I would have thought maybe #8 or #7,but ill take #4. The remaining schedule the Cavs have most of their games are at home,the Cavs are one of the best home teams in the SE and I see them running the table. On Tuesday Logan comes to the Hat,then on Friday the rematch against Ironton. Just like last year the Cavs will hopefully take care of Ironton on home court! Go Cavs!

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

Though it hurts because it's probably the 1st time the Streaks are out of the Elite 8 going back to early 2007-08 season, it seems fair. Hope the Streaks can win a few in this next stretch of games to get its foothold back into the Elite 8.

You do a great job Pfloyd. The Chef has been a long time reader of your list.

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

Looks good Pfloyd. I like the fact that you base your rankings on schedule and quality wins. Good to see the Trojans and Pioneers getting players back and moving up the list.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

gh123 wrote:yessssssssssssssssss REEDSVILLE EASTERN--WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

That a Baby, PFloyd!

Being from the other side of the universe of the SE District, can you tell us Eastern's competition. Who have they beaten? I'm still wondering if their schedule can compare to South Websters.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

it's a solid schedule.....but South Webster has done more to earn a top 8 than a few of those teams.

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

Portsmouth beat d 2 warren @ warren, d 1 Logan @ Logan,Burg @ Burg, so I can see why they have moved up, ,you sometimes have to look at strength of schedules

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Logan and Burg and not having very good seasons

Portsmouth playing Chilly to a 3 point game might be their most impressive showing

I would bet some of the elite 8 teams playing some of the other schedules would be a far different record

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

Eastern had a tough 3 point loss to Athens, they beat Southern who was ranked 10th in the state D IV, they just beat Parkersburgh Catholic who I think was one of the top ranked teams in WV

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

[color=#FF0000]
Ironman92 wrote:Logan and Burg and not having very good seasons[/color]

Portsmouth playing Chilly to a 3 point game might be their most impressive showing

I would bet some of the elite 8 teams playing some of the other schedules would be a far different record

you are right,but,you put burg up there as one of the teams Webster beat,so I did to..

we will never know

by the way Logans record has nothing to do with how good they are right now,they was without Angle untill a couple games ago,he has came back,and scored an average of 22 points a game,including 29 against portsmouth.

I see what you are saying about webster as most do,they have beaten some good teams and remain unbeaten,they jumped 22 spots or something this week so floyd has noticed them.

hard to do these polls and keep everyone happy,but then again,its serving its purpose...DISCUSSION! :mrgreen:

keep up the good work purple man 8)

Portsmouth did play a good game against Chilly,should have won,was up 3 inside 1 minute,and threw the ball away 3 times"

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

That 10th in the state in D4 is AP and worthless...case proven by losing to 2-9 North Adams at a nuetral site.

With the rankings pfloyd has done.....Portsmouth is getting the kudos for beating Burg....I don't feel SW is getting the full kudos for beating the #3 Waverly @ Waverly, BUrg and Portsmouth....yes they made a huge jump....but have they done more to be in the top 8.......that's worthy of discussion.

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

You asked who theyve beaten and ive told you

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”