Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 2

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 2

Post by pfloyd »

It took a couple of weeks BUT the Elite 8 has shaken off those teams that were living off of last seasons reputations and the potential to be a contender this season - Portsmouth, Washington CH, Waverly, Athens, Manchester ... at the same time teams that lost the star power of last season's success have proven that "systems" in high school hoops work - defense, fundamentals, adjustments made to maximize "this seasons" talent AND quality coaching ... Logan Elm and Oak Hill under the guidance of coaches Stiverson and Persin respectively are once again occupying familiar territory with spots in the Elite 8 after the Week that Was - Week #2 ...

... Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/Southeastern Ohio-Week #2 ...

1. Chillicothe (2-0)

2. Ironton (2-0)

3. Chesapeake (1-0)

4. Warren (3-0)

5. Piketon (3-0)

6. Peebles (2-0)

7. Logan Elm (3-0)

8. Oak Hill (3-0)

...Treehugger Wannabes ...

South Webster (2-0)
Portsmouth (1-1)
Reedsville Eastern (3-0)
Manchester (2-1)
Eastern Brown (2-0)
Vinton County (2-1)
Unioto (3-0)
Wheelersburg (2-0)
Miami Trace (3-0)
Washington CH (1-2)
Circleville (2-0)
Marietta (2-0)
Hillsboro (2-2)
South Point (1-1)
Lucasville Valley (2-2)
Waverly (0-3)
New Lexington (3-0)
Fairfield Union (1-2)
Logan (0-1)
Wahama (0-0)
Rock Hill (2-0)
Waterford (2-0)
Zane Trace (3-1)
Gallia Academy (2-2)
Athens (1-2)
Eastern Pike (2-1)
Paint Valley (3-0)
North Adams (1-1)
WhiteOak (1-2)
Westfall (1-2)
Southern (2-1)
Trimble (2-1)
South Gallia (2-0)
Meigs (1-2)
Symmes Valley (2-1)
Greenfield McClain (0-4)
River Valley (2-3)
Fairland (1-1)

... Teams on the End Table ...

Northwest (2-1)
Southeastern (0-3)
Minford (1-2)
Portsmouth Clay (2-1)
Nelsonville York (1-3)
Huntington (1-4)
Wellston (1-1)
Ironton St Joe (2-2)
Alexander (0-4)
Jackson (0-2)
Federal Hocking (0-1)
Green
New Boston

... MAJOR adjustments were made from last week based on competition, results of games in weeks one and two of the season ... after play in the Week that IS Week #3 we should have an even better feel for where all the teams will fit on the lists ... patience is a virtue as they say - IF your team "ain't" where YOU think they should be or aren't even on the lists make sure the committee of one -me - has information from games/ opponents records/ upcoming menu of games/ etc. we'll definitely give everyone a look ... since I was moving lots of teams around this week - please let me know if teams "suddenly" disappeared that were there last week - odds are it was unintentional ... I HAVE THE POWER to make additions to the list LOL ...

... best of luck to ALL teams this week, hopefully we will dance around the white stuff and get another week of action in without interruption ... pfloyd has the first of 20 chemo therapy session starting Wednesday with any luck my old body handles it well enough to continue getting out on the road taking in the show that IS high school basketball ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 2

Post by danicalifornia »

Looks good. Did my own top 15 and it's all the same teams, slightly different order though.

Lots of fine defense being played so far this season, especially at Chesapeake, Piketon, LE, Oak Hill, and Eastern Brown.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see Miami Trace on 1st glance. They are 3-0, with wins over Huntington, London, and an impressive margin at WCH.
Paint Valley is also 3-0, but that will likely cease after hosting Piketon on Tuesday.

SVC on Tuesday features: #5 Piketon @ 3-0 Paint Valley and 3-0 Unioto @ 3-1 Zane Trace

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

looks good, we "trojans" expected to drop out of the top 8 early, but hope to return later on in the season.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... daniC ... those teams that have ANY thoughts of going deep into the post season KNOW that defense is the key ... with it? you have a chance to beat anyone, without it? - life in the one and done season is short lived ...

... Defensive PPG avg. given up by the Elite 8 ...

1. Chillicothe 62.5 ppg
2. Ironton 54 ppg
3. Chesapeake 22 ppg
4. Warren 41 ppg
5. Piketon 36 ppg
6. Peebles 47 ppg
7. Logan Elm 38.6 ppg
8. Oak Hill 40 ppg

... Coach Stiverson head man for Logan Elm preaches the "50 ppg Rule" on defense - hold the opposition to 50 points or less ... doesn't mean helter skelter defense but solid in your face, beat you up "legally" with the "bump and slide" defense ... rebounding position, players who KNOW how to play D - how to trap, when to trap, where to trap ... notice NO MENTION is made of hands of any kind - none ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

biggdowgg... couldn't drop the men of Troy far- too much talent/strength/size ... getting players back from injury - finding an answer to "who needs to be handling the ball?" ... Portsmouth will be fine ...

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Whitley played a few minutes friday, so once he eases into the rotation he will help a lot with ball handling.

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

Pfloyd- I don't think Federal Hocking should be an end table team yet. Their only game was at Reedsville Eastern. Eastern has not lost a game at home since the 2008-2009 season. Plus the Lancers played them close for most of the game, had the lead at the end of the first quarter and only trailed by 4 at halftime. Otherwise, the list looks good as usual!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... fair enough gymrat88 - the Lancers of Coach Murray take on Waterford on the road Tuesday then entertain Belpre next Saturday ... we will watch for the results/napkin stats for both of those contests ... thanks for giving good rationale for Fed Hock NOT dropping to the End Table just yet ... those Lancers NEVER seem to play too many games early on in the season LOL ...

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

Ripley is another team that's on the outskirts of the Land Beneath the Lancaster-Dixon Line...they go west for their tournament draw but are part of the SHL. As a team that is favored to win the Big School in the SHL (with all respect to Eastern Brown) I think they deserve a mention somewhere among the treehugger wannabees. They did defeat a strong Bethel-Tate team pretty handily this week.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

jchitwood LOL you're pushing my knowledge base now LOL - Bethel Tate, Georgetown, Ripley's Believe it or not??? I have a hard enough time trying to get scores for teams IN Southern/Southeastern Ohio LOL when we start pushing west, northwest, east of east in the Southern/Southeast part of the state - LOL I get lost ... I don't think my Garmen even works in that part of the state! ... be afraid to use GoogleMaps and start a war for crossing into Costa Rica or somewhere LOL ...

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

pfloyd wrote:jchitwood LOL you're pushing my knowledge base now LOL - Bethel Tate, Georgetown, Ripley's Believe it or not??? I have a hard enough time trying to get scores for teams IN Southern/Southeastern Ohio LOL when we start pushing west, northwest, east of east in the Southern/Southeast part of the state - LOL I get lost ... I don't think my Garmen even works in that part of the state! ... be afraid to use GoogleMaps and start a war for crossing into Costa Rica or somewhere LOL ...

:lol: Fair enough my friend, I'm just speaking up for my SHL...and it's always nice to see the Indians of Peebles move up a spot, btw.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... SEOAL TEAMS Menu for the Week that IS ...

Tuesday 12/14

Warren vs Belpre
Jackson @ Minford
Logan @ Fairfield Union

Friday 12/17

Marietta @ Gallia Academy
Jackson @ Logan
Portsmouth vs Warren

Saturday 12/18

Chillicothe vs Hamilton Twp.
Gallia Academy vs Meigs

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

Oh, and I hear Findlay has a good team this year as well...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

jchitwood ... by the way we all thank you folks in the Land of the SHL for giving the teams from that area the just do's they deserve... before the huddle and now SEOPs many hoops fans only knew about SHL teams when it came to the post season ... NOW the SHL gets equal play on SEOPs along with all other leagues Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... great teams/players and outstanding coaching are synonymous with the SHL ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

...jchitwood - you DO want my head to explode don't you LOL ...

JEEP
Waterboy

Post by JEEP »

Keep an "I" on South Webster, they are better than you think.

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

pfloyd wrote:... SEOAL TEAMS Menu for the Week that IS ...

Tuesday 12/14

Warren @ Belpre
Jackson @ Minford
Logan @ Fairfield Union

Friday 12/17

Marietta @ Gallia Academy
Jackson @ Logan
Portsmouth vs Warren

Saturday 12/18

Chillicothe vs Hamilton Twp.
Gallia Academy vs Meigs

PFloyd, Belpre is @ Warren Tuesday 12/14

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... gotcha - thanks Eaglepapaw ... I'll edit it pronto ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Nice looking list pfloyd and good luck with the chemo.

Couple games to watch up here in the Northwest Territory...burr it's getting cold.

Friday
2-0 Circleville @ 2-1 Teays Valley
2-1 Bloom-Carroll @ 3-0 Logan Elm

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... thanks bman... would really like to see that Logan Elm vs Bloom Carroll get together next Friday night ... we'll just have to see how things go this week ... keep us informed on these two big games from the frigid Northwest ...

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”