Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #3

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #3

Post by pfloyd »

formerfcfan wrote:If there was one observation I drew from reading an earlier edition of yours' pfloyd, was how high Logan Elm was ranked despite them having to squeak one out versus Amanda Clearcreek. The Aces aren't that good. I'm not at all trying to insinuate you did a poor job, because you do great jobs and I appreciate your labors, but that makes this average joe sit back and think "if this one of the better teams then SEO basketball is down."

… I've seen LE twice (vs Grandview Heights, vs Circleville) both losses for the Braves BOTH could have been "Ws" - but not … out of ALL of the teams I have seen this season Logan Elm is 1 or 2 as far defense goes … offensively Coach Stiverson's crew has struggled coming up with the scorers - Ridge Young is a given but others obviously need to decide they are going to play the role of scorers as well - it will happen …. might not be until next year BUT it will happen - then you will have a team like last years District team … they are ranked at #15 which MAY be a little high right NOW but when I look at the program, the coaching, the D it's hard to drop them on a fast track … most teams have played 6-7 games … there's still 2/3 of the regular season left to play IF Logan Elm struggles they will continue to fall but I don't see them being less than a .500 team and at .500 there will NOT be a team in the Logan Sectional who will want to play them …

… there are teams below LE which are moving up the rankings and the committee of one - me - will have to adjust the rankings accordingly :

VC
Lynchburg Clay
Fairland
Valley

… while Adena, Paint Valley need to gets some key "W's" to hold serve …

npeifer
Freshman Team

Post by npeifer »

pfloyd,

While I don't always agree with the rankings I am thankful for all of your hard work that gives us good information on all of the teams and allows us to debate and disagree. Just wanted to say that you are much appreciated by many on here!

Neal

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

Thanks for the brevity and explanation in your reply, pfloyd. Basketball is so crazy this year and there's so much flux it's really anyone's game on any night. I'm sure by February that Coach Stiverson's squad will have their seat at the table for D2, but of course they're step behind their front foot when it comes to offense as of right now.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Pfloyd. will you be at the Dawg Pound on Tuesday night for 6-2 Circleville against 5-3 Bloom-Carroll?

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

I'd probably have Logan Elm lower than what pfloyd has them now, but when you've done what Logan Elm has done over the last decade, that earns a lot of respect. Logan Elm will continue to improve as we move through the rest of the regular season and towards tournament draw time. I look for a potential Vinton County-Logan Elm matchup at the 4/5, with the winner facing either Warren or Athens.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Hill and Giffin had nice games for Circleville and Wayne was good for Court House. Deliberate pace to the game that was closely officiated. Manson and Wadlington also had some solid production for Circleville with key baskets and rebounds.

Circleville 38,

Washington C.H. 30

CIRCLEVILLE — Camp 1-0-3; Giffin 3-4-10; Hill 6-1-13; Wadlington 2-0-4; Manson 2-4-8. Three-point goals — Camp. Total — 14-34 9-13 38.

WASHINGTON COURT HOUSE — Knisley 2-0-5; Wayne 7-2-17; Wilson 2-0-4; Eckles 2-0-4. Three-point goals — Knisley and Wayne. Total — 13-44 2-3 30.

Quarter scores 1 2 3 4 F

Circleville 11 6 7 14 38

Wash. C.H. 6 8 6 10 30

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bman wrote:I'd probably have Logan Elm lower than what pfloyd has them now, but when you've done what Logan Elm has done over the last decade, that earns a lot of respect. Logan Elm will continue to improve as we move through the rest of the regular season and towards tournament draw time. I look for a potential Vinton County-Logan Elm matchup at the 4/5, with the winner facing either Warren or Athens.
Who do you have as the No. 3 seed bman?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Sheridan, VC and LE should all be fighting for the 3 seed. VC's impressive win over Southeastern will help their case but they need a win over Athens on the road and to hold serve against the rest of the TVC to guarantee the 3. It should be another fun winter leading up to the Logan sectional.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

"Fight for the No. 3 seed" ... Sure would be nice to have the support of the TVC when it comes to that tournament draw, huh Dundas? ...

;)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

FYI ... The Tomcats (with no Austin Downs, a limited Grant Clark and no Bryce Guthrie) - lost to No. 4 Peebles on a last second shot at the Convo last year.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since you sometimes miss the DIV district games, Floyd.

LOL

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

pfloyd, I had to stand up fpr ya just for a sec, I really didn't like the "tons of posters" don't speak for everyone, speak for yourself. This is the first thread I look at every day of the week,not only for your point of view but all of southeastern Ohio

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

93Bulldog wrote:
bman wrote:I'd probably have Logan Elm lower than what pfloyd has them now, but when you've done what Logan Elm has done over the last decade, that earns a lot of respect. Logan Elm will continue to improve as we move through the rest of the regular season and towards tournament draw time. I look for a potential Vinton County-Logan Elm matchup at the 4/5, with the winner facing either Warren or Athens.
Who do you have as the No. 3 seed bman?
True, I was thinking Sheridan's record was a little better than it is right now. Should be interesting to see who gets the third seed - Sheridan, VC or LE? Also does one of them want to stay away from either Warren or Athens? God bless Logan sectional politics. :122249
Last edited by bman on Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

I second this statement!

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

LetsGoPSU wrote:pfloyd, I had to stand up fpr ya just for a sec, I really didn't like the "tons of posters" don't speak for everyone, speak for yourself. This is the first thread I look at every day of the week,not only for your point of view but all of southeastern Ohio
I second this!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Still bitter bulldog? :)

I'd say when VC takes care of Athens in McAfee, the 3 seed will be a lock. ;)

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Dundas wrote:Still bitter bulldog? :). ;)
hahaha ... No.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bman wrote:True, I was thinking Sheridan's record was a little better than it is right now. Should be interesting to see who gets the third seed - Sheridan, VC or LE? Also does one of them want to stay away from either Warren or Athens? God bless Logan sectional politics. :122249
LOL ... nothing like a little 'Logan sectional' talk to get the blood pumping.

If the 3, 4 & 5 become the 'hot spots', then of course the No. 3 becomes extremely desirable to avoid the No. 4 vs No. 5 game. It's kind of backward from last year, where the No. 1 was the coveted seed.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth topped visiting Ironton 41-36 in OVC play, improving the Trojans record overall to 3-0 in league play (3-0 in SEOAL play also). The Fighting Tigers controlled the tempo throughout the night, and were determined to not let the Trojans get into their running game. Sky Oliver returned from his knee injury and scored 9 points, including 2 clinching FT's with 10 seconds to play, while Kyre Allison tallied 16. Kendall Reynolds made a huge putback with the score tied at 36 with just 40 seconds to play. PHS shot 2-18 from behind the arc, their worst shooting game of the season. Most of the 3's were open looks but just didn't fall. Still, Portsmouth got the win over their old rivals. It's not likely that the Trojans will shoot that poorly from 3 point range again. Tristan Cox had a good game for Ironton.

Portsmouth is 3-0 in games decided by 7 points or less. Good to see our kids come through in clutch time.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Adams County Holiday Tourny Championship updates:

After 1 Peebles 17- West Union 9
At the half Peebles 37- West Union 26
After 3 Peebles 60 - West Union 47
Final Peebles 74 - West Union 67 (Beau with 35pts to lead all scorers)

Overall a pretty poor performance keeping West Union from scoring in the post and we could have done a better job handling the ball and preventing second chance points throughout the entirety of the game. Cameron Gordley played very well for Peebles while Price, Hinkle, Sininger all played well for West Union.

Interesting note: This is the Indians' 15th straight varsity win against county rival West Union (Last loss on December 29th 2007)
Last edited by TribeManiac10 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Thanks for the update Tribemaniac10 …

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”