Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 11

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 11

Post by pfloyd »

... looking forward to the beginning of the Road to the Convo !!! as much as I enjoy the regular season, tournament time is THE BEST TIME OF THE YEAR even though the start of the post season signals the end of hoops season Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... I truly love seeing the best of the best who "survive and advance" work their way to the Convo ... I KNOW when we get to the Convo it will ALL be familiar - Basketball Thirty with Lou Horvath "2 minutes!!!" ... the familiar folks who make the trek to the Cheap Seats on the West end of the Convo , great conversations with friends about hoops, coaches both past and present, $5.00 hot dogs, $ 4.50 Cokes, $4.50 Soft Pretzels ... Gibby at the tunnel entrance to the land of free hot dogs & chips - the hospitality room ... comfortable seats ... Sportsfolio with his briefcase full of hoops history making his way around press row ... programs to read and reread to see who is playing now and those returning for next seasons action , the student sections with their mascots/teletubbies ... Oh YEH!!! then there is the basketball on the court !!!! - kids who have worked so hard to get their games to a level that has TEAM earning a "yellow" ticket invite to the Convo where their names are announced by Lou "the voice" of high school hoops, where TEAMS come together like at no other time in the season, when the TEAMS who score, play defense, rebound, put into practice those pesky fundamentals are the ones who normally Survive and Advance ... TEAMS from an area that covers more than 1/4 of the state of Ohio trying to get to Athens, Ohio to the Convo ... some teams will travel 10 minutes while playing a team who may have traveled 2 1/2 hours on roads that are more akin to a ride at Cedar Point than a highway ... but there will be NO complaints ! the chance to perform AT the Convo - the Mecca of high school basketball makes it all worthwhile ...

... I have struggled to be able to attend Basketball Thirty the last 2 years - cancer tends to put a kink in plans BUT I have made it !!! this season? I am blessed for one more year to see the game I love, at the Convo with friends ... I love this game! - the kids who put on the SHOW, the coaches who sacrifice family/personal life for the sport THEY love, the opportunity to share my love of the game with other cheap seat fans - priceless ... thanks again "COACH" for keeping me in the game .. keeping time on the game clock for me ...

... the Road to the Convo starts Monday night - showtime ... almost time to put "life" on hold for 3-4 weeks - just posting about it puts a smile on my face ...

Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #11

1. Warren (18-3) / Athens (16-3)

2. Lucasville Valley (20-2)

3. Logan Elm (19-2)

4. Unioto (18-3) / Minford (16-3)

5. Chillicothe (14-6)

6. Portsmouth (16-4)

7. Washington CH (16-4)

8. Peebles (18-3)

... Treehugger Wannabes ...

Southeastern (16-4)
Zane Trace (17-3)
Eastern Brown (16-4)
Lynchburg Clay (15-5)
Circleville (15-6)
South Point (13-6)
Sheridan (15-6)

Miami Trace (14-8)
Fairfield Leesburg (13-6)
Oak Hill (13-7)
Piketon (12-9)
Wheelersburg (12-7)

Marietta (9-12)
Vinton County (12-7)
Nelsonville York (12-8)
Southern (15-5)
Alexander (11-8)

Federal Hocking (13-8)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (17-4)
Coal Grove (13-7)
Eastern Pike (13-6)
Symmes Valley (13-6)

Fairland (10-11)
Waterford (13-6)
Chesapeake (12-8)
Greenfield McClain (9-11)
Belpre (10-12)

Paint Valley (8-13)
South Gallia (8-11)
Trimble (9-9)
St Joseph (11-10)
Waverly (8-13)

West Union (9-11)
Portsmouth Clay (10-8)
Huntington (9-12)
Portsmouth West (9-11)
Crooksville (7-14)

South Webster (8-11)
Logan (7-11)
Gallia Academy (11-10)
Meigs (8-10)
Adena (6-15)

Hillsboro (6-15)
Westfall (2-20)
Rock Hill (4-17)
Wahama (7-10)
Fairfield Union (7-14)

Portsmouth East (10-8)
Miller (5-15)
Northwest (6-13)
Western Pike (6-15)
River Valley (5-17)

New Lexington (6-15)
Ironton (1-20)

... Teams on the End Table ...

Reedsville Eastern (2-20)
Wellston (4-15)
Manchester (4-13)
North Adams (3-18)
Green (3-16)
Whiteoak (1-17)
Jackson (0-20)
New Boston (0-19)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio -Week 11

Post by pfloyd »

... with makeups happening this week, Sectional play beginning and ALL teams participating in sectional play I will come out with the Elite 8 Final Edition when sectional play concludes next Wednesday (D4) ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Oh sure ... put Athens/Warren 1 ... like a 'potential' match-up won't already have enough hype surrounding it.

I'm thinking Pfloyd must get a cut from all proceeds at the D2 sectional at Logan H.S.

Come on Floyd, what is it? 10%?

8)

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

93Bulldog wrote:Oh sure ... put Athens/Warren 1 ... like a 'potential' match-up won't already have enough hype surrounding it.

I'm thinking Pfloyd must get a cut from all proceeds at the D2 sectional at Logan H.S.

Come on Floyd, what is it? 10%?

8)
He gets a slice of Pizza Crossing pie for every ticket purchased. :122249

whsball
Freshman Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast OChio -Week 11

Post by whsball »

WCH- beat Chilly 2x and Unioto and won their league by winning 2 of 3 in a 3 day span....just sayin'

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I think everything looks GREAT!! exacty how IT SHOULD BE!! :-D

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Hahahaaaaaaa when I was lobbying last week PFloyd for some luv for Chillicothe it was to make the top 8, guess Chillicothe impressed you more than what I was saying..I would personally put WCH in front of Chillicothe because of the two losses to them but I do believe if they was to meet again (not gonna happen because Chillicothe is D1) Chillicothe would win round 3..it's not how you start, it's how you finish and for sure Chilly is playing some of its best ball right now...I'm gonna miss going to the Convo tho but Chillicothe is primed and ready for their D1 Sectional vs Reynoldsburg....Good Luck to all the other area teams on their path to the Schott..GO CAVS!!!!

LetsGoPSU
SE

Post by LetsGoPSU »

not to mention what Chilli just did to Portsmouth, maybe WCH should be up at least one spot, but still great list

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bman wrote:He gets a slice of Pizza Crossing pie for every ticket purchased. :122249
I'm beginning to think Floyd was the mastermind behind it all ... HE bought houses in Chillicothe and moved families from Fairland & Waverly there ... HE was behind the Athens loss to Logan Elm (he must have put a hex on the 'Dogs that night - I knew I shouldn't have let him McAfee) ... HE secretly lobbied for LE to get the 1 seed ... In fact, they were going to go to a super sectional this year - but no - Floyd and all his pull axed that plan.

All for what? More free pizza?

what a sham!

8)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bballfan wrote:WCH- beat Chilly 2x and Unioto and won their league by winning 2 of 3 in a 3 day span....just sayin'

... you're absolutely right bballfan ... after I posted the rankings (I looked at the WCH loss to Clinton Massie by 2 this past week, and I WAS excited about what I saw in Chillicothe with the Cavs beating a very good PHS team) I failed to look closer at the overall picture of the season - a no no when ranking teams ... I screwed up ... the Cavs did impress me a ton, and I have seen Washington CH twice this season - a good ball club out of the mold of LE - perimeter scoring and defense ... not flashy by they get the job done EVEN when they are winning by the slimmest of margins ( W vs Miami Trace +4, W vs REady +2, W vs McClain +6, W vs Xenia +1, W over Chilli +2, OT win over McClain +4, and I saw the last second 3 pointer vs Russell KY at the Beasts of the SE 0 ... close wins but wins nonetheless) ... I will keep everything in mind as we take care of the Final Edition in a week or so ... (by the way I saw Logan Elm do a number on the Lions at the ZT Tip Off Classic) ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote:
bman wrote:He gets a slice of Pizza Crossing pie for every ticket purchased. :122249
I'm beginning to think Floyd was the mastermind behind it all ... HE bought houses in Chillicothe and moved families from Fairland & Waverly there ... HE was behind the Athens loss to Logan Elm (he must have put a hex on the 'Dogs that night - I knew I shouldn't have let him McAfee) ... HE secretly lobbied for LE to get the 1 seed ... In fact, they were going to go to a super sectional this year - but no - Floyd and all his pull axed that plan.

what a sham!

8)

... you're killing me here 93dog !!!! :mrgreen:

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

93Bulldog wrote:

what a sham!

8)
Poor pfloyd, he can't please Athens, Warren or Logan Elm fans. What is a purple hippo to do? 8)

whsball
Freshman Team

Post by whsball »

pfloyd wrote:
bballfan wrote:WCH- beat Chilly 2x and Unioto and won their league by winning 2 of 3 in a 3 day span....just sayin'

... you're absolutely right bballfan ... after I posted the rankings (I looked at the WCH loss to Clinton Massie by 2 this past week, and I WAS excited about what I saw in Chillicothe with the Cavs beating a very good PHS team) I failed to look closer at the overall picture of the season - a no no when ranking teams ... I screwed up ... the Cavs did impress me a ton, and I have seen Washington CH twice this season - a good ball club out of the mold of LE - perimeter scoring and defense ... not flashy by they get the job done EVEN when they are winning by the slimmest of margins ( W vs Miami Trace +4, W vs REady +2, W vs McClain +6, W vs Xenia +1, W over Chilli +2, OT win over McClain +4, and I saw the last second 3 pointer vs Russell KY at the Beasts of the SE 0 ... close wins but wins nonetheless) ... I will keep everything in mind as we take care of the Final Edition in a week or so ... (by the way I saw Logan Elm do a number on the Lions at the ZT Tip Off Classic) ...

Well put in validating your opinion, BUT since when did the margin of victory become a factor in determining the "Top 8". My oh my how the trickle down effect from FBS football is starting to control the minds of the powers that be... If this was a "Selection Committee" for the NCAA tourney these would be considered battle-tested wins..HA!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Crazy to think that there will sectional finals on Friday between the two #4 teams in the rankings at Southeastern and the two #1 teams at Logan! What a night of basketball in the SE District!

WarriorBlue
Varsity

Post by WarriorBlue »

danicalifornia wrote:Crazy to think that there will sectional finals on Friday between the two #4 teams in the rankings at Southeastern and the two #1 teams at Logan! What a night of basketball in the SE District!
What a crowd at the Convo this doubleheader would draw! The winner of both games will really be battle tested and ready for district level play.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

danicalifornia wrote:Crazy to think that there will sectional finals on Friday between the two #4 teams in the rankings at Southeastern and the two #1 teams at Logan! What a night of basketball in the SE District!
How about 4 of Floyd's "bottom 6" are playing at Valley? How awesome is that? :122245 :122245

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Warren 83
Athens 61 final

... THE BIG GAME was finally played after being postponed 1/21, 2/5 with another possible date nixed for the 3rd cancelation ... tonight Jim's gym was SOLD OUT with additional bleacher seating brought in at both ends of the floor ... GAME ON : Athens took control from the outset... for the 1st 2:08 of the game with 5 points by Ryan Leuhrman and a block of a Reece Patton shot in the paint ... Athens 5 Warren 0 timeout Warren at the 5:52 mark of the 1st ... coming out of the TO a Warren steal layup for 2 by Hall , a Warrior takeaway in the backcourt under the Athens basket Michael Hall for the two handed dunk Athens TO at the 5:27 mark ! 7-4 Athens BUT with the Bulldogs on the run by the WHS defense ... after giving up the 5-0 lead the Blue finished the quarter on a 10-5 run led by Hall's 4 pts and Evan French's 6 pts ... Athens 10 Warren 10 after one - to recap Athens was in total control for 2 minutes and 8 seconds of the game - end of story as Warren went on a 44-16 run to close out the first half, putting the game out of reach, got the fat lady to start singing, had the Athens bus driver starting to warm up the bus - HOWEVER you want to say it - this one was over by halftime as #25 Evan French decided not to wait until the final quarter plus an overtime to put up big numbers - the 6-3 senior in the 2nd quarter ALONE scorched the nets for 22 points ... 6/6 from behind the arc ... 28 points for the first half of play ... Warren's defense turned the Bulldogs over 12 times in the quarter ... mathematically IF French goes for 22 in a quarter + the D turns any team over 12 times in the quarter + the French is 6/6 from downtown = Warren advances to the Convo as the Logan Sectional Champion ... on a side note Warren has never lost at Jim's Gym, before the game Evan French with the understatement of the tourney "I like playing in the Logan gym" ... Warren 44 Athens 21 at intermission ... normally I would just say "game, set and match" BUT the French machine went cold in the 2nd half (he ONLY put up 9 more points the rest of the game BUT junior Michael Hall , who had 9 first half points of his own highlighted by the takeaway and slam) continued to keep Athens at arms length as he added 12 points and a 2nd dunk & 2 ( as he was intentionally fouled on his second dunk of the evening) ... Hall with the solid 4 quarters of play along with the Warriors FT shooting (16/19 in the 2nd half), defensively shutting down the Athens offensive attack ... walked away with the "W" as both teams played subs the last 6 minutes of the 4th ... game, set and match Warren 83 Athens 61 final ...

Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Athens

Scoring ... Ibi Watson 18, Joe Burrow 12, Ryan Leuhrman 9, Zacchia Saltzman 6, Griffin Lutz 6, Johnny Buck 4 and 2 apiece from Ben Claussen, Ben Scott, Kaliq Carr ( the final 3 being all of the Bulldog seniors getting on the scoreboard in the 4th quarter)
3 pointers ... 4/22 ... Lutz 2, Burrow 1, Ryan Leuhrman 1
FTs ... 19/33
TOs ... 27 ... 19 in the first half/12 in the 2nd quarter ...

Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Warren

Scoring ...Evan French 37, Michael Hall 21, Blake Kidder 9, Reece Patton 6, Andrew Henthorn 4, Aaron Mazurkiewicz 2, Seth Hall 2, Tanner Huck 2
3 pointers ... 7/14 ... Evan French 7
FTs ... 20/25
TOs ... 21 ... only 6 in the first 2 quarters ...

... with ALL of the offensive sparkle from French & Hall ... the Warren D with the host of perimeter people - Maz, Henthorn, Kidder, Hall kept the Athens offensive from getting into ANY flow for 4 quarters ... outstanding D for the Big Bad Blue ... best of luck representing the SEOAL at the Convo ! ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Teams having Punched their tickets to Basketball Thirty at the Convo ...

Fairland (OVC)
Southeastern (SVC)
Lucasville Valley (SOC)
Coal Grove (OVC)
Warren (SEOAL)
MInford (SOC)

... 2 more D2's to join the Party in Atown, 4 D3's to be determined tomorrow night ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I'm soooooo bummed ... Athens (out), Nelsonville-York (out), Alexander (out), Federal Hocking (out) ... those are all the teams we cover on the radio! lol

I love sitting on press row at the Convo calling a game ...

Guess I'll have to lick my wounds and go sit in the 'cheap seats' with Pfloyd, Mr. McPherson and coach Fortney's brother in law.

8)

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Bulldog, tough game for your dogs tonight but not much you can do when a player is on fire like French was tonight. I see the dogs going far in the postseason next year, now you can sit back and watch my Warriors! Btw I think you do a fine job of broadcasting

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”