Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #2

Check out archives of Pfloyd's Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio Week #2

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:14 pm
peake71 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:49 pm Gallia at Fairland Dec. 19th
... that's a Tuesday night game ugggggghhhhhh - tough to make THAT trip on a week night with work the next day BUT you never know ! the pfloyd tour may NEED to see this one LOL ! ... thanks peake71 - hope all is going well for you my friend !

Oh come on! It's almost Christmas break by that point! The kids will be sleepwalking through the days by then anyways lol

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

Noitall wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:32 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:46 pm
Truth&fiction wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:23 pm
Now you should know that Floyd is not going against FU .
Was it Fairfield Union that beat

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Hoopie74 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:32 pm Not seeing West Union. I think they gave Southeastern their only loss. They are pretty good. Don't sleep on them or you might get a loss.
. I think West Union Piketon was a 4 point game. They are Scrappy.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hoopie74 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:32 pm Not seeing West Union. I think they gave Southeastern their only loss. They are pretty good. Don't sleep on them or you might get a loss.
... my fault Hoopie74 ... I had Western Pike twice - West Union is at #30 (2-2) ... a good 4 point loss to Piketon and a 55-64 loss to a very good Ripley team ... West Union is staying on the radar for sure ...

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:34 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:13 pm I think you are short changing your Logan boys and I feel Gallia Academy is top 8.

Paint Valley just too high IMO.
... I saw Gallia Academy host Jackson last night in the French City ... I feel the teams I have in front of GAHS are in fact better at this point in the season than the Blue Devils I saw last night vs an undersized Jackson squad ... Loveday didn't dominate at the offensive end, he DID change shots from the perimeter as he was guarding Cooper Donaldson much of the second half defensively ... Peck scored 20 points in the 2nd half to prove that size does matter - he did most of that damage with a 1/2 foot or more size advantage for unimpeded layups at the rim ... as far as the rest of the GAHS team nothing special stands out - Evan Wiseman had 9 points but Jackson played solid D for the first half leading at the intermission 23-22 ... GAHS size got the "W" last vs no size for Jackson to stop it ...

... some posters have posted that Gallia will get Fairland for the OVC title ... it may happen, BUT the team I saw last night is no Fairland on paper or on the court imo ... at least not yet ... when is the first matchup between Fairland and Gallia Academy ??? THAT ONE will be worth the price of admission LOL ... if nothing else but for me to see for myself how the 2 teams matchup ...

[/quOTE

i think that is a pretty fair assessment of seeing the Blue devils from a neutral standpoint. And even though i thought my blue devils would move into the top 8 i have no problems with the teams you have moved ahead of them. and honestly even if they handle both games next week. i could see more teams move past them depending on there schedules. i think a solid game even if they dont win at fairland may show us more where they are at.

What i will say in there favor is 3 games 3 different leading scorers... I think that will lead to find ways to beating teams several different ways. i think in the 22 regular season games we will be back to 5 or 6 kids leading the way. Loveday sort of needs to go to school off Peck on the way he presents himself down low. We will see but i think that is a pretty good display of who we are we have a lot of kids playing hard but not a lot special i think the special part will be if they can play that way every night they will.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:33 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:14 pm
peake71 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:49 pm Gallia at Fairland Dec. 19th
... that's a Tuesday night game ugggggghhhhhh - tough to make THAT trip on a week night with work the next day BUT you never know ! the pfloyd tour may NEED to see this one LOL ! ... thanks peake71 - hope all is going well for you my friend !

Oh come on! It's almost Christmas break by that point! The kids will be sleepwalking through the days by then anyways lol
daniC ! that's spoken like a teacher ! LOL

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

svac83 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:40 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:34 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:13 pm I think you are short changing your Logan boys and I feel Gallia Academy is top 8.

Paint Valley just too high IMO.
... I saw Gallia Academy host Jackson last night in the French City ... I feel the teams I have in front of GAHS are in fact better at this point in the season than the Blue Devils I saw last night vs an undersized Jackson squad ... Loveday didn't dominate at the offensive end, he DID change shots from the perimeter as he was guarding Cooper Donaldson much of the second half defensively ... Peck scored 20 points in the 2nd half to prove that size does matter - he did most of that damage with a 1/2 foot or more size advantage for unimpeded layups at the rim ... as far as the rest of the GAHS team nothing special stands out - Evan Wiseman had 9 points but Jackson played solid D for the first half leading at the intermission 23-22 ... GAHS size got the "W" last vs no size for Jackson to stop it ...

... some posters have posted that Gallia will get Fairland for the OVC title ... it may happen, BUT the team I saw last night is no Fairland on paper or on the court imo ... at least not yet ... when is the first matchup between Fairland and Gallia Academy ??? THAT ONE will be worth the price of admission LOL ... if nothing else but for me to see for myself how the 2 teams matchup ...

[/quOTE

i think that is a pretty fair assessment of seeing the Blue devils from a neutral standpoint. And even though i thought my blue devils would move into the top 8 i have no problems with the teams you have moved ahead of them. and honestly even if they handle both games next week. i could see more teams move past them depending on there schedules. i think a solid game even if they dont win at fairland may show us more where they are at.

What i will say in there favor is 3 games 3 different leading scorers... I think that will lead to find ways to beating teams several different ways. i think in the 22 regular season games we will be back to 5 or 6 kids leading the way. Loveday sort of needs to go to school off Peck on the way he presents himself down low. We will see but i think that is a pretty good display of who we are we have a lot of kids playing hard but not a lot special i think the special part will be if they can play that way every night they will.
... svac83 ... the matchup on the 19th in Fairland will be interesting to say the least LOL ... a Gallia team who wants to prove something to all - that they ARE physical, that they SHOULD BE talked about for an OVC title along with Fairland ... that Fairland group has seen it ALL as "a group" for 4 years now - they have played vs size and teams trying to muscle them inside and out - not sure much will bother them LOL ... if I keep typing I'm going to talk myself into driving 2 hours both ways to see this one LOL ...

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

I hope the NY boys get wind of there #33 ranking; while the Vikings sit at # 9.
Perhaps after this week & a win vs Athens, they will get some respect.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bburner wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:14 pm I hope the NY boys get wind of there #33 ranking; while the Vikings sit at # 9.
Please consider he may have made NY the biggest jump in one week in Elite 8 history

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

Trojans make the elite 8!!!!!! Glad to see it again, hope they can stay healthy and keep playing well!

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:35 pm
bburner wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:14 pm I hope the NY boys get wind of there #33 ranking; while the Vikings sit at # 9.
Please consider he may have made NY the biggest jump in one week in Elite 8 history
Agreed, you can't jump 29 spots and still complain they are too low after 1 week.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

High school kids should definitely get really upset and use these rankings to motivate them... come on! Pfloyd does an incredible job, and puts a ton of effort into SE Ohio basketball. If you take it personal or if the kids do, then that's on you/them.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Now you just motivated the Bulldogs . I'll take Athens by 10 . Before your comment it was a toss up .Lol

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

Lol indeed. Game I am looking forward to. The boys know each other & each other game. Athens will be ready for NY's speed.

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

Falcon01 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:36 am High school kids should definitely get really upset and use these rankings to motivate them... come on! Pfloyd does an incredible job, and puts a ton of effort into SE Ohio basketball. If you take it personal or if the kids do, then that's on you/them.
Good post, always enjoy his input on teams

You can't handle the truth
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Truth&fiction wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:51 am
Now you just motivated the Bulldogs . I'll take Athens by 10 . Before your comment it was a toss up .Lol
With the number of players Athens will be missing, Vegas probably will have NY favored by 10. lol

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

Falcon01 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:36 am High school kids should definitely get really upset and use these rankings to motivate them... come on! Pfloyd does an incredible job, and puts a ton of effort into SE Ohio basketball. If you take it personal or if the kids do, then that's on you/them.
Agreed. Love this forum. The back n forth banter is what makes it fun - good point.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Can't complain about someone putting an elite out there to go with if you are the only one doing it.
It is a lot of difference between making one up and not putting the time in and doing it like Pfloyd does. Him and his wife put serious time and work into to this elite. But it is sort of fun to read the disagreements and Floyd probably enjoys most of them too. It just wouldn't be basketball season on here without the Elite.

Thanks for the great read.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
golfis4me
Riding the Bench

Post by golfis4me »

Pfloyd,

Thanks for the rankings as always!

South Point is 1-1. The loss was a close one to a very good Paul Blazer (Ashland, KY) team. Link: https://goo.gl/SKKn2n. Here's a link to a story on the win against South Webster: http://www.irontontribune.com/2017/12/1 ... eps-61-51/

It looks like the OVC is going to be really tough this year. We should see some teams make deep runs come tournament time. Coal Grove will be really dangerous in D4 after playing their schedule.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Still early in the season, but very encouraged by the play of the 3-0 Trojans. So far in 3 games, Portsmouth is averaging 85 PPG, and have had 3 different players lead the team in scoring. Reese Johnson led vs. Toledo Jones Academy with 31, sophomore Matthew Fraulini led vs. Huntington St.Joe with 20, and Daniel Jordan led vs. Portsmouth West with 17. PHS is getting very good play from its bench also. Gabe Gambill had 15 pts. vs. West subbing in for Isaac Kelly.

I really feel that the 2017-2018 Trojans have the chance to be Portsmouth's best team since the 2014-2015 team with Sky Oliver, Alex Dickerson, Kyre Allison, Kendal Reynolds. and Ethan Leonard being the starters on that squad. That Trojans unit lost in the regional final to Columbus Eastmoor Academy 49-45. This year's Trojans have much more of a presence in the paint, quite different than the finesse teams of the last couple of years. Isaac Kelly, Gabe Gambill, and Myquel McKinley can all rotate on the frontline, giving PHS good depth down low.

The Trojans will have their share of tough challenges in an OVC that could possibly see teams represented in the regionals in D2, D3, and D4 (Coal Grove).
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pfloyd’s Elite 8 for Southern/SouthEast Ohio”