Clay Lady Panthers

candystore
Varsity

Clay Lady Panthers

Post by candystore »

anyone know anything about them this year. after the loss of summers, castle and Groves what is there to expect?

Frank The Tank
Waterboy

Re: Clay Lady Panthers

Post by Frank The Tank »

candystore wrote:anyone know anything about them this year. after the loss of summers, castle and Groves what is there to expect?

Don't you mean Summers, Castle, and Jackson. :122245
Groves didn't even play last year. I think the panthers are going to have a great season. Excited to see them play against Eastern, East, Green, and especially New Boston. I think it is going to be an interesting year.

candystore
Varsity

Post by candystore »

my bad for got all about the cami Groves drama last year

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

What kinda numbers does Clay have out? I heard Wheeler isn't playing, is this true?

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

I don't think there are any seniors at all on the team. They travled to Peebles tonight for a scrimmage, I guess we will find out what they have very soon, but I think it will be a rebuilding year, with a lot stronger team next year.

Waterdog
Riding the Bench

Post by Waterdog »

I heard no seniors for Clay this year. Hempill added alot last year as a sophmore. Hopefully she will be even better year. Good Luck Lady Panthers!

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

How did Clay fair in their scrimmage at Peebles? I think they have another against NW tomorrow night. Give us some updates if you go.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

I would say they are going to have a solid year

sportsfan21
Waterboy

Post by sportsfan21 »

Agreed, Lady Panthers Are Going To Be Pretty Good This Year.. : )

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

The girls split wins with the Lady Pirates last night in both Varsity and JV contest. They have turned it up a bit and should fair pretty well in their division. Good luck Panthers!

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

(stats borrowed from another thread)

New Boston Glenwood Tigers 53
Portsmouth Clay Panthers 47

Tigers led 18-14 after 1
Tigers led 28-25 at the half
Tigers led 39-36 after 3
And the final Tigers 53-47

This was a hard fought game from start to finish. There were at least 14 lead changes and some ties throughout the first three quarters. Clay's last lead came early in the final quarter 41-39. Clay missed some shots near the end of the game that hurt them. Also, they needed to foul at the 2 minute mark but let NB dribble off over a minute of clock before doing so. Clay played very well, just need to finish and listen to the coach. NB two leading scorers had 4 fouls each in the fourth quarter but Clay couldn't work the ball inside and get them fouled out.

The Junior Varsity Tigers came back from a 13-0 Clay lead to win in the last minute or so 26-24.
After 1, Clay 13-0
At the half, Clay 17-5
After 3, Clay 22-13
And the final, Tigers 26-24

The Clay JV let this game slip away from them on poor shot selection. Up 9 points in the 4th quarter, took way to many 3 pt shots, IMO, in the fourth. In their defense, they set out a player to save time for varsity. I personally would like to see the Whitley girl play at least 2 quarters of JV and be available for 3 quarters of Varsity. The extra time played would be much better for her than limited time off the bench, but that is my opinion and you know what they say about those.

New Boston heads to Franklin Furnace on Thursday to tangle with the Lady Cats, while Clay hosts the Western Indians the same night. Good Luck to both the Tigers and Panthers!

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Nice additions to the post my2cents! I am glad you put the other perspective in. Both the Tigers and Panthers have to have the help of some of the JV players. Good Luck to Clay the rest of the way!

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

Who was the starters for Clay?

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Just from memory........

Bauer
Beegan
Hempill
?
?

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

Bauer
Beegan
Hempill
Spriggs
Craft

As I remember.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

okay thanks i was just wondering

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

Clay looked much better tonight against Western. You could see that the first game jitters that they had at New Boston are gone. Hempill played very strong underneath. She probably had a double-double. I think she had 23 points. Spriggs scored well too. Bauer did a good job handling the press. Clay wins by about 20 points 56-36?

JV girls win by 1 point in a 2 quarter game 17 - 16. Good luck Saturday against Valley!

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

Clay panthers are 5 - 2 at the break, 5 - 1 in the SOCI. I think they are a lot better than everyone predicted coming into the season, especially after losing their senior girls. Their only losses are to NB in the first game ( a game they should have won) and a loss to Valley, a much larger school with some quality players. Clay should be able to make a run for the SOC I title.

It's also very interesting that the JV team has the same record, losing to the same two teams, and they blew a 4th qtr. lead against NB. Looks good for this years team and should be even better next year. Keep it up girls!

Return to “Girls Basketball”