Portsmouth Lady Trojans Any News

TrojanHorse
Riding the Bench

Portsmouth Lady Trojans Any News

Post by TrojanHorse »

Does anyone have any news on the Portsmouth Lady Trojans scrimmage games?

Their season starts on Saturday, Nov. 28 at Waverly.

Slim Jim
Varsity

Re: Portsmouth Lady Trojans Any News

Post by Slim Jim »

They better get a win against Waverly-because that might be the last chance for a victory all year.Hate to say it- but it's going to be another LONG year.Best of Luck!

TrojanHorse
Riding the Bench

Post by TrojanHorse »

You're probably right. I believe there are fewer girls on the team this year than last year. Some girls will still have to play both JV and varsity.

Bob Boldman is a good coach who wants to win. From what I have heard the girls who are playing this year like him more than Jeff Nichols. Bob will work them and if the girls decide they want to start winning they will have to follow Boldman's direction. Otherwise it will be another long season.

That's why I was hoping to hear about the scrimmage games and whether the team showed some improvement over their 2-win season last year. I guess tomorrow's game against Waverly will give an indication of what the Lady Trojan will be like.

SOMAGIC
JV Team

Post by SOMAGIC »

I totally agree with you TrojanHorse...I've heard the same and witnessed the improvement in these lady trojans. He may not have many bench players now but this program will grow... Great job by Bob Boldman!!!

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

Post by trojanofthepast »

I heard they lost a few good players that are not playing this year. My daughter told me the Simpson girl is not playing this year along with the Rollins girl. If that's the case why are these 2 athletes not playing they are only Sophs I think. Rollins is a good shooter, and the games I seen last year the Simpson girls at times was the only one working here butt off on both sides of the court. Can anyone update me and let me know is this true that these girls are not playing. Can someone also post the schedule for this year. Good Luck Lady Trojans

Slim Jim
Varsity

Post by Slim Jim »

Not a good sign with tenured players not even playing.And they were young ones at that...Lets face it they weren't that good a team last year,all be it because of youth,and with this revalation makes this season look even tougher than originally thought.I dont see this new coach being around but maybe a couple years anyway.I think a bright,young,enthusiastic,and experienced coach would fit the bill for a young trojan program.Not someone that wants to win now and dosen't have the weapons to do it.Just my opinion.

TrojanHorse
Riding the Bench

Post by TrojanHorse »

Slim Jim, it is true that 5 sophomores who played on the team last year (including 3 who had a lot of court time) did not return, which could be due to the rough experience they had with last year's coach. But the Trojans did pick up junior Hannah Foster who will do a lot to help turn around the program along with Boldman.

The PHS Lady Trojans beat Waverly today 47-44 leading the entire game and holding off a 4th quarter charge by the Lady Tigers. Bob Boldman coached a very good game and for the first time in a couple of years, the Trojans really played like a team passing the ball effectively to the open player and playing very effective defense.

It was good to see junior Caitlyn Rodriguez playing up to her potential at least in the first half by dominating the boards. Senior Ashleigh Link cool and calm as ever put the game away with an important 3-pointer late in the game as well as 7 assists most of them by feeding the ball to junior transfer Hannah Foster for some more crucial points down the stretch. Hannah's point guard play set up a lot of points for the Trojans, something they did not have last year.

Junior Lataysha McGinnis still needs to get more physical underneath, but provided some much needed rebounds when it counted. She could and should be the dominate player underneath.

Sophomore Richel McGraw had some trouble getting the ball in-bounds against Waverly's effective press, but her drives to the basket provided some timely scoring in the second half.

Besides, Foster, the only new player to see any action, was freshman Dasia Kennedy. This is a girl who could have an outstanding Trojan career ahead of her. When Boldman let her play she was the most agressive player on the court and showed she could keep up with the upperclassman. Boldman really needs to keep his eyes on her and let her run with the team as much as possible. Dasia represents the future of the Lady Trojans program along with some of the experienced and talented middle-school players at PHS that have played together since 4th grade.

The Trojans have very little depth with Boldman playing only 7 players at the Waverly game. This will not hold up with the stronger teams, but there is no doubt in this Trojan's mind that the Lady Trojans are now playing to win. Best of luck in their next three away games: Chesapeake (12/3), Warren (12/5) and Portsmouth West (12/9). They will need it!

Return to “Girls Basketball”