IRONTON 43 VS Oak Hill 31 - 3/13 - FINAL

caglewis
SEOP

Re: IRONTON 43 VS Oak Hill 31 - 3/13 - FINAL

Post by caglewis »

You're very welcome, ITM, - but don't you have a radio? Jason and Jeff [I only yelled "'say the time" once] are outstanding with their call/coverage! We Irontonians are so fortunate to have such great broadcast [both radio and internet] coverage, superior announcers, and terrific and loyal sponsors supporting all our Ironton Fighting Tiger Teams. Thank You to all of them!!
Great job to all who work for, contribute to, and support our Ironton Fighting Tiger Teams!
And double thanks and CONGRATS to ALL the hard-working Fighting Tiger players!

dimedrop4
All State

Post by dimedrop4 »

Congrats Lady Tigers!

Ole_Cuzin_Funk
Freshman Team

Post by Ole_Cuzin_Funk »

First off, Id like to congratulate the Lady Oaks on an awesome season. 2nd, Congrats to the lady Tigers on a hard fought, impressive win. And I wish you the best of luck in winning State. I was the one who said the road to State goes through Oak Hill. And I stand by that. We got beat by a very good team. Bottom Line. The ironic thing is, that road literally lead Ironton right through Oak Hill. Again ladies, Congrats and the best of luck!!!!!!!

PS, unless a bypass is built, That road will still go though Oak Hill next year as well!!! Go get that title and I'll see ya all in November!!!!!!!

IronTigerMum
Varsity

Post by IronTigerMum »

cag: Mr. Mum had the TV on the Bucks, so I read updates on here for the girls, but, tonight I listened to Jason and Jeff...and it was great that I couldn't understand much of what they said on that last three! Whee doggie!

ballrmom
Freshman Team

Post by ballrmom »

Really thill2010 well if they don't win the next round they still beat the oaks which I believe someone said they were going to show tigers up really bad this time uh! :)

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

CONGRATS Ladies.

Great job making it to the State Finals. Keep playing the way you have been and take it one at a time.

GOOD LUCK - Thursday!!!!!!

just a note: This makes 2 of Ironton's Sports programs to make it to the State Finals this school year. Hopefully the Guys can join the Ladies and the Golf Team as State Final Qualifiers!

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

From the Ironton Tribune
http://www.irontontribune.com/news/2010 ... ate-berth/

Upset win gives Lady Tigers state berth
By Jim Walker | The Tribune

Published Sunday, March 14, 2010

ATHENS — The dream season ran into a nightmare.

The unbeaten Oak Hill Lady Oaks were dreaming of a return trip to the state tournament. Instead, they ran into a nightmare called the Ironton Lady Fighting Tigers’ defense.

Ironton held the high-scoring Oak Hill offense in check with a 43-31 win Saturday that gave the Lady Fighting Tigers the Division III regional championship and a berth in the state tournament.

“My girls had confidence going into the game,” said Ironton coach Doug Graham. “We played them within two points at home and we knew if we kept it close at the end of the third quarter and the start of the fourth quarter we had a chance.”

Oak Hill struggled from the 3-point line, hitting just 6-of-32 attempts. Ironton kept the Lady Oaks out of the paint with their inside defense led by Lorna Ceaser and Nikki Elswick and dominated the boards 41-29.

Ironton had 16 points in the paint to just eight for Oak Hill.

“Nikki did a good job on (Rebecca) Puckett. She’s a good post player. But we had a lot of help side defense,” said Ceaser. “We played great team defense. We wanted it. That’s not to say Oak Hill didn’t want to win, but we wanted to play defense and we really wanted to win.”

Elswick finished with 18 points and 13 rebounds. Brea Tackett scored 13 points including 5-of-6 over the final 1:30 to seal Ironton’s third Final Four trip and their first since the 2004-05 season.

“We knew going in we had to step it up. We knew we would make runs and they would make runs. We just had to push through it and that’s exactly what we did,” said Tackett.

Ironton (17-7) will play at 1 p.m. Thursday at the Ohio State Schottenstein Center against Middletown Madison.

Oak Hill (24-1) was led by Puckett with 15 points and six rebounds. Leading scorer and District Player of the Year Karissa Adkins managed just one point and was 0-of-8 from the field.

“Nikki and LC (Ceaser) played tough defense inside. They’ve played that way through the whole tournament,” said Graham. “To give up only 31 points to Oak Hill is tremendous. They score 70 and 80 points a game like it’s their job.”

Elswick converted a 3-point play to stake Ironton to a quick lead at the 7:27 mark. Breanna Butler countered with a 3-pointer at the 5:25 mark to tie the game and the nip-and-tuck battle was on.

Oak Hill led 8-7 on a layup by Lakin Caudill after a steal by Adkins, but Elswick made two foul shots and Ironton led 9-8 at the end of the quarter.

Ironton led by four points three times in the second quarter including 20-16 at the half when Janie Morris buried a trifecta with 47 seconds on the clock

The Lady Oaks came out with a scoring run in the second half. Puckett nailed a 3-pointer, Adkins made a free throw to tie the game, Puckett hit two more baskets inside and Breanna Butler’s baseline shot made it 26-20 with 3:16 left in the quarter.

But Ironton came back on two foul shots by Elswick and a 19-footer by Rebekkah Potter at the buzzer to get Ironton within 28-26.

A trey by Tackett put Ironton up 30-28 and the Lady Tigers defense took over. Oak Hill managed only one basket in the fourth quarter, a 3-pointer by Puckett with 2:36 to play.

Oak Hill 8 8 12 3 = 31

Ironton 9 11 6 17 = 43

OAK HILL (24-1) Taylor Hale 0 1 2-2 5, Breanna Butler 1 1 0-0 5, Rebecca Puckett 3 3 0-0 15, Mikie Strite 0 1 0-0 3, Karissa Adkins 0 0 1-2 1, Kelsey Burton 0 0 0-0 0, Lakin Caudill 1 0 0-0 2, Taylor Butler 0 0 0-0 0. Totals: 11-54 3-4 31. 3-point goals: 6-32. Fouls: 22. Fouled out: None. Rebounds 6 offense, 18 defense = 24 (Puckett 6, Adkins 4, Caudill 4). Team rebounds: 5. Assists: 3 (Adkins 2). Steals: 8 (Strite 2, Caudill 2). Blocked shots: 1 (Butler).

IRONTON (17-7): Alex Taylor 1 0 0-1 2, Brea Tackett 1 2 5-7 13, Nikki Elswick 6 0 6-7 18, Janie Morris 0 1 5-6 7, Lorna Caesar 0 0 0-1 0, Rebekka Potter 1 0 0-0 2, Emily Lilly 0 0 0-0 0 Taylor Lilly 0 0 0-0 0, Emily Davis 0 0 0-0 0, Tori Klaiber 0 0 0-0 0. Totals: 12-35 16-22 31. 3-point goals: 3-3. Fouls: 14. Fouled out: None. Rebounds 7 offense, 33 defense = 40 (Elswick 13, Ceaser 6, Taylor 6). Team rebounds: 6. Assists: 6 (Taylor 2, Morris 2). Steals: 9 (Tackett 3, Morris 2, Elswick 2). Blocked shots: None.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dolittle
Riding the Bench

Post by dolittle »

Congratulations to Coach Graham and the Lady Tigers on their win. When the game was about to end and seeing how happy our girls were I couldn't help but look at the Lady Oaks girls and see the emotion on their face as they knew their season was over and also felt bad for them. As a parent of a former Lady Tiger you know the joy of winning and heartach of a loss. Coach Hale and the Lady Oaks are a class act and personally I feel for years now they have been the measuring stick of just how good your team is. The Oaks have a good program and will be back for they do not rebuild but reload. Lady Tigers you are going to state. Most girls never get the chance to get to state so when you are there, take the time to stop and reflect on your season of all the hard work you have put in to be there. Now go take care of business! T-I-G-E-R-S

blondebomb
Freshman Team

Post by blondebomb »

As a Lady Oaks fan, I hated to see the season end, but I along with the rest of their fans are greatful for another great season from the Lady Oaks ! To the 3 seniors leaving us this yr, you have showed all the underclassmen what & how the game is to be played. You all have class along with talent of the game. Good luck to those girls & their future plans. To the Lady Tigers, I want to wish you luck and hope you make southern Ohio even prouder by bringing home the prize of State Champs !

WhiteWhiskers
JV Team

Post by WhiteWhiskers »

theassassin wrote:
with regina gone.... oak hill = d3 state champs

If you're going to talk the talk you got to walk the walk and the "Mighty Oaks couldnt walk that walk. Maybe just Maybe they should have went south on 93 and not north to get them "transfer players" The Oaks, both boys and girls are going to have to figure out how to get back to D4 cause it looks like they can't run with the big dogs of D3

TIGERS90
Varsity

Post by TIGERS90 »

I have to say...I really enjoyed the radio broadcast of this game..wasn't able to be a part of the game...however..Ironton girls have to be proud...they have worked their tails off to get to this point..getting better every week...I have to say...everyone said that Oak Hill was the next State Champ..wouldn't that mean that if we are better than the State Champ..that we should be able to win some more games...just like they did...(before they played) and we still should have a great chance of being State Champs...I believe it does...

Keep up the hard work..and don't think about anything but this next game at hand..as I am sure coach Graham will have them doing...Go Tigers...

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Maybe it's time for Oak Hill coaches to think outside the box.

Running the full court press up to half time when you're winning by 20 or 30 points isn't preparing your team for tournament play. Lots of easy shots and lay ups that won't be there come district play.

Running your half court offense while the game is still fresh and the score is still close would play dividends in the second season. The 40 and 50 point margins of victory may look impressive but they are better ways to utilize game time to prepare your team for a deep tournament run.

Unioto suffered from the same problem and suffered the same fate. Something to think about.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

toast wrote:Maybe it's time for Oak Hill coaches to think outside the box.

Running the full court press up to half time when you're winning by 20 or 30 points isn't preparing your team for tournament play. Lots of easy shots and lay ups that won't be there come district play.

Running your half court offense while the game is still fresh and the score is still close would play dividends in the second season. The 40 and 50 point margins of victory may look impressive but they are better ways to utilize game time to prepare your team for a deep tournament run.

Unioto suffered from the same problem and suffered the same fate. Something to think about.

I hardly ever post on here with the exception of giving info. However, Oak Hill girls went to state last year, been to Regionals many times!! I would say the coaches know what they are doing and how to win!!! They had a bad day, plain and simple. Hit 4 more threes and the game is theirs.

kcarth305
JV Team

Post by kcarth305 »

Does anyone know if Puckett or Adkins are going to play college ball?

sportnut
Riding the Bench

Post by sportnut »

I am so sick of the excuses of Ironton winning. The first matchup was only a fluke because Ironton played them within 2 pts. Then another fluke @ the Convo, a ref giving Oak Hill all the bad calls, the Oaks just weren't hitting shots, they had a bad day, they had a bad game. It's awfully funny they only have flukes and alot of excuses when they play the Tigers. They simply couldn't handle us. You are only as good as your opponents and Ironton's schedule shows that. A little thought, if playing Ironton the way they did was only a fluke then how do you figure that they would've or could've been state champs. They said we had to go thru the Oaks to get past regional and we did all the way up 93 thru Oak Hill & back. First rule of play is DON'T EVER LOOK PAST A GAME, ONE @ A TIME. The Lady Tigers are a force to be reckoned with & I guess Oak Hill reckoned this on their way home. Bring it home Tigers. Represent!!!

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

a select few are making it hard to root for Ironton this week.

How is we shot poorly an excuse? It is a fact. Look at every single game we played, come to a practice, watch the girls in AAU. They have never shot like that. We have girls on our team that shoot 40% from 3 point range for the season.

When you when a game because a team just doesn't make shots that they normally do that is not saying that your team is bad.

To toast: How did Oak Hill make a run in the second half? Their press. What is the only way that they were getting the ball back, Ironton's turnovers from the press. Half of the people that are on here were not even at the game or have not seen a replay. Oak Hill was getting wide open shots. They just weren't falling. Credit to Ironton, when they saw that Oak Hill weren't making their shots all they had to do was pack it in the lane and didn't allow easy entry passes to the post and did not allow easy dribble penetration.

Again, I am not quite sure how it is an excuse.
Oak Hill wasn't making shots they usually do, Ironton did what they had to do to win= Ironton won.

As far as the refs, they didn't shoot the ball so I will not blame them, but I will say that a veteran ref before the game told me there is one ref out there that doesn't belong in a regional final game.

Ironton fans, take this game and be happy you won, it doesn't matter if you won because Oak Hill didn't shoot well or it was a fluke or even if Oak Hill forfeited. A win is a win and you are moving on which is all that counts.

Enjoy your week at the tourney.

sportnut
Riding the Bench

Post by sportnut »

I do not want to come off like I am saying that Oak Hill was not a great team. I like many people that was there did see the Ironton defense play their game. That is how we win games we shut down the other teams offense. Not a fluke. And as far as that ref she called everything on BOTH teams. She was horrible. I think we had great teams match up and I think we match up very well.

OaksGrad
Waterboy

Post by OaksGrad »

both teams?
ironton 16-22 from the foul line
oak hill 3-5
can you honestly say that oak hill fouled more than ironton ?
thats no excuse oak hill missed alot of shots they normally make and a win is a win and a loss is a loss
but a spade is also a spade enough said congrats to ironton and good luck !!
sportnut wrote:I do not want to come off like I am saying that Oak Hill was not a great team. I like many people that was there did see the Ironton defense play their game. That is how we win games we shut down the other teams offense. Not a fluke. And as far as that ref she called everything on BOTH teams. She was horrible. I think we had great teams match up and I think we match up very well.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

There's no denying the "press" is an important part of Oak Hill's arsenal. But why would you continue to run it in the regular season when you're up by 20 or 30 plus points in the first half? Why not spend that game time fine tuning your half count offense rather than shooting lay-ups and bunnies.

I've read several comments from Oak Hill fans about how they missed open shots that they usually make. Well open shots when you have a comfortable lead are a lot easier to stroke than when the game is tight. If you really wanted to get creative don't run the press in the first half against weaker competition. The game is never in doubt anyway. Maybe the girls would get a little more accustom shooting those open shots when the game is still somewhat competitive.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

Good point Toast...

Return to “Girls Basketball”