The press and girls basketball

teamworkwins
Riding the Bench

The press and girls basketball

Post by teamworkwins »

Why do girls basketball teams seem to struggle so much against the press? I mean, I see such lopsided scores (80-20, 70-15, etc) every year. Most because of the inability to move the ball to the other end resulting in layups for the other team. Do coaches not spend the amount of time working against the press in practice that they should in order to move the ball down the floor? You know it is coming, why not bring in some freshman or reserve boys to help speed the game up to get the girls used to their assignments so it is not such a shock? Just don't see many boys games so one-sided. What do you think?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Re: The press and girls basketball

Post by ManitouDan »

most flat out can't handle the rock. How many girls put in the hours like boys playing the game ? How many girls can honestly run full speed going left WITH CONTROL ? You can tell the ones that do --just a few off the top of my head -- Curly (clay) Schmidt (Wburg) Leader and others (west) . Several Oak hill girls. It's obvious who spends 100's of hours in the summer beating the pavement and who doesn't. those that love it and want it badly LEARN to handle the pressure. the rest just beat and bang around and take whatever results come their way. that may be a harsh accessment but sometimes reality is a tad harsh.

It's easy to apply pressure to a offensive player who can only go one way. I'd press at the start of every game. find out if the other team can make you pay. If they can't , go for the TO's and the easy W. not rocket science. MD

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

I agree that it is a ball handling proficiency issue in most cases.

Slim Jim
Varsity

Post by Slim Jim »

But in most cases when a team that presses a lot and wins lop sided has a hard time adjusting to a tight close game themselves when the press dosen't work.Kind of the live by the sword die by the sword kind of thing.The original point is well taken though...

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

You can tell a big difference between the girls that play AAU and those that only pick up a ball over the winter. Some girls never really face alot of talent because they play in an "in-house" biddie program where many of the players can't even dribble instead of facing talented travel teams and getting a chance to play together for a few years. That doesn't mean they can't learn but they are already behind and sometimes they give up in jr high instead of putting in the extra work during the off season. Throw them together with a coach that really doesn't know the girls and its a disaster.
Last edited by ironmen1987 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Falconburger
JV Team

Post by Falconburger »

I don't always believe that those that press struggle in close ball games. Teams that press alot are typically aggressive and even in close ball games they stay aggressive and win. It is when you press alot and are offensively aggressive and get in a close ball game, what do most coaches do? They slow it down way too much, you see it not only in girls games but boys games, college games as well. If you are an aggressive team, you have to stay aggressive, keep doing what got you the lead.

Fundamentals, fundamentals..both the girls and boys..alot of coaches at the younger ages dont work the fundamentals every practice. You should put in at least 1/2 hour on basics every practice. Also the work ethic for atheltes isn't the same, too many things that kids can do today, alot of girls just want to be part of the team..like they say, bball players arent made during the season, it is made during the off season.

footballfanatic1
All Conference

Post by footballfanatic1 »

if you want your team to suceed consistantly at breaking the press you must teach the players to keep thier head up and pass over it ....it's not how good you are at dribbling through the press all the time but you must make good passes and run the press break as you need. the ball will get down the court quicker by passing than dribbling.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

A big problem is that many girls can not throw the cross court diagional pass that would beat alot of the zone presses employed. This allows teams to run more people at the ball and create havoc. Strong girls who can throw that pass beat the press almost every time.

footballfanatic1
All Conference

true .... also the recoginition by the offense of whats going on is a must...usualy teams that press are good at knowing what the other team will try to do on defense. then you must use that against them . but there again you must always be aware of whats in front of you......patience

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Pol Pot wrote:A big problem is that many girls can not throw the cross court diagional pass that would beat alot of the zone presses employed. This allows teams to run more people at the ball and create havoc. Strong girls who can throw that pass beat the press almost every time.

Bingo, strength, strength, strength! I coached Jr hi girls 8th grade for 3 years and I ran a 1-3-1 half court trap and denied the pass back across the court and left the long diagonal pass to the corner open. My teams were middle of the road talent, but wreaked havoc with that! It works a lot in the upper levels as well!

footballfanatic1
All Conference

even with the 1-3-1 trap if the offense is patient it can be beat.....and after a few easy layups .....

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

^^^^Any press can be beat, but what I did was take away an option I knew 90% of most girls couldnt do and that was make that 60 foot pass over a double team! lol Once the trap was put on, the other 3 defenders completely denied the pass back across half court, the middle cutter and the near deep corner. All coaches used a 2-1-2 press breaker so my girls knew where the cutters were going!

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

got to be able to beat the D with the dribble.

UUsokkr12
Riding the Bench

Post by UUsokkr12 »

footballfanatic1 wrote:if you want your team to suceed consistantly at breaking the press you must teach the players to keep thier head up and pass over it ....it's not how good you are at dribbling through the press all the time but you must make good passes and run the press break as you need. the ball will get down the court quicker by passing than dribbling.

I agree with passing is quicker than dribbling...those are live by and die by words in soccer. BUT, if a team does not have the girls that are comfortable with dribbling than just passing the ball will not work. If a player isn't confident with their dribbling and see high pressure, most often their first instinct is to pick up the dribble and protect the ball and when they do this, more often than not, they are in a bad position on the court.

If you are confident with your dribbling and the ability to take care of the ball then you can break down the press easier with having that ability along with looking for the passes to break through the press. You have 10 seconds, which is plenty of time if you're passing moreso than dribbling like football said.

Falconburger
JV Team

Post by Falconburger »

If you are playing a team that presses, then that cross court diaganol pass is being baited into throwing. I always taught my girls that in rotation, look for that pass, if you have girl anticipating it they will take it.. but you are correct, the pass is how you beat a press, and kids do pick up the ball to quickly, or even worse they start dribbling right away and play into the presses hands.

Once an Oak
Waterboy

Post by Once an Oak »

This is one of the best threads I've read in a long time on this site.
Thanks all.

Falconburger
JV Team

Post by Falconburger »

Very few girls or boys can beat a good zone press by themselves with the dribble..they usally go on to play college ball, so there arent many of them out there..

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

my comment about beating the D with dribble was intended as a man to man comment . Too few can do a simple pass to the left wing off a left handed dribble to start a play .

md2020
Varsity

Post by md2020 »

Teams that have a really good full court press also have a good press break offense. I guess they have an understanding of the press and it workings. I know of coaches that hope for the full court press because they know they can score off of it.

sitting in the stands
Riding the Bench

Post by sitting in the stands »

It also helps if the receivers move toward the ball (pass). Too many times I watch young women, stand in place waiting for that pass to "get"
to them and in the process it is stolen. Can't stand around in hoops, need to keep moving. Get the ball inbound quickly so that the defense doesn't
have as much time to get set up, move the ball up the court, head up and watching. Breaking a press can be taught and taught well, if the girls
are willing to "read" the court and move toward the passes and get out of the way when necessary.
Love to watch a well executed press break AND a well executed press.

Return to “Girls Basketball”