Mercy Rule ?

Gopher
Varsity

Mercy Rule ?

Post by Gopher »

Should there be a mercy rule in B-Ball ?

Other sports have it, or let the clock run and teams are ridiculed if they take advantage of a lesser skilled team. Coaches are accused of "running the score up" , but it does not seem to be the case in B-ball. I have already seen scores of teams winning by 40 and nothing is said, saw an uncontested 3 made by a team that was up by 15+ with less than 5 seconds to go and nothing was said.

However,

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschoo ... 36770.html

Just looking for healthy conversation, not to open the flood gates on downing other schools or coaching decisions.

athens78
All State

Re: Mercy Rule ?

Post by athens78 »

I think you will see it in Ohio soon. Most States that put it in for football also added one for basketball. Since Ohio just started the one in football it will soon follow as it should.

thebearupthere34
Freshman Team

Post by thebearupthere34 »

I agree, trying to figure out where to put the mercy rule is the case. I think up 30 or 35 in the 4th is an 8 minute running clock. You have to think up 20 that is only 7-10 possessions in a quarter and anything can happen. Games would be done quicker, students during the week can get home and not have as late of a night to complete their studies. Basketball is a grind of a season through the week so it is important to keep your student-athletes in the books.

RIVERVALLEY09
Riding the Bench

Post by RIVERVALLEY09 »

I think some teams are trying to make a statement. But make your statement with your defense. I am much more impressed with a 50 -20 win vs. A 80 to 40 win. If u r goood be classy.

DiEsEl
Waterboy

Post by DiEsEl »

In Ohio a running clock is not allowed in OHSAA basketball contests. With that said, coaches can agree to reduce the amount of minutes in a quarter. For example if Team A is blowing out Team B BOTH coaches could agree to drop the quarter lengths for the remaining quarters but BOTH coaches must agree.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

Who would a mercy rule help?

86LancerLover
Freshman Team

Post by 86LancerLover »

A mercy rule would stop guys like the coach at Alexander who's pressing a team that is not very good and missing their top three players. But pressing up 30, full court in the 2nd half is lacking!!! Be a man, press a real team....Oh, you tried, didn't work well for you!!!! Warrior Pride baby!!!!

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I think you will see it----What does either team get out of winning or losing by 50 plus? We've had several 60 plus margins. My suggestion---once a team is up by 30 you get a running clock. Stopped only by foul shots or time outs.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If up by more than 35 no press or Zone is allowed

Team up by 35 can only have 4 players on the court...lol

toast
All State

Post by toast »

For the vast majority of coaches this rule is NOT needed. Unfortunately, the rule is needed because a few of coaches just don't get it!

Continuing to press when up big is the most significant problem. There's no justification for it and it's just plain poor sportsmanship. You really have to question about the character of a coach that continues to press when up by 25 or more!

I think the majority would support a running clock and NO PRESSING when up 25 or more.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

A poorly constructed mercy rule could SIGNIFICANTLY change the game for the worse. A team that presses early in the game and builds up a big lead also uses up a lot of energy. It would not be inconceivable at all for the other team to come back on them in the second half. Teams go through hot and cold streaks throughout the game. Our boys team won our conference last year, but we had a team make up a 25-30 point lead in about 10 minutes on our home floor and just about stole the win. Let the game play out.

A mercy rule will not make the bad teams better or the few teams that do run up the score any more sportsmanlike. It will rob kids of playing time.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

with the chance of top scorers/players fouling out there is no need for this rule. Just too many IF to put this rule in.

I can only see a rule of shorter 3 and 4 quarters or if 50+ point lead going into the 4th the game is called. If it is let them play the leading team needs to play their bench.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

noreply66 wrote:with the chance of top scorers/players fouling out there is no need for this rule. Just too many IF to put this rule in.

I can only see a rule of shorter 3 and 4 quarters or if 50+ point lead going into the 4th the game is called. If it is let them play the leading team needs to play their bench.

Running clock in football.............I do not think California has this rule and the results of it is they have a QB out there with a chance to have over 100 TD passes before their season is over with. Now wonder were Burrows would be if we had no running clock.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

A "Mercy Rule" sends a strong message that few coaches need. It would also limit the frustration a coach, players and fans feel when on the receiving end of a "rogue" coach. Stop the pressing and get the game over with quickly!

A once in a lifetime comeback shouldn't stop the implementation of a Mercy Rule! If you're that concerning about playing time don't run the score. It's not complicated.

chsballn
Freshman Team

Post by chsballn »

It is what it is !

Some teams are just better than others, I've seen it from both sides.. How does a coach tell his team to hold back ? The game is to be played to its players best abilities. I do think a coach should clear his or her bench when they have the game put away. But you can't tell those kids coming in off the bench to not play to their best ability. Bottom line, just practice and try to get better. Most coaches will call off the wolves, but sometimes that is just not enough.

By the way Bandit, before you accuse any coach of not being a man, look under you own rug, I watched your JV coach press a team that they had a 30 pt. lead on in the 4th period. Would you say he is not a man also ??

86LancerLover
Freshman Team

Post by 86LancerLover »

Between the Lines wrote:It is what it is !

Some teams are just better than others, I've seen it from both sides.. How does a coach tell his team to hold back ? The game is to be played to its players best abilities. I do think a coach should clear his or her bench when they have the game put away. But you can't tell those kids coming in off the bench to not play to their best ability. Bottom line, just practice and try to get better. Most coaches will call off the wolves, but sometimes that is just not enough.

By the way Bandit, before you accuse any coach of not being a man, look under you own rug, I watched your JV coach press a team that they had a 30 pt. lead on in the 4th period. Would you say he is not a man also ??

I'd need to see that on film or in person! It's all sour grapes to defend your failures. Big Blue just takes care of business!

chsballn
Freshman Team

Post by chsballn »

TheBarlowBandit wrote:
Between the Lines wrote:It is what it is !

I'd need to see that on film or in person! It's all sour grapes to defend your failures. Big Blue just takes care of business!
I have no sour grapes, I have nothing to do with the teams involved in the quote, other than see these teams play throughout the season as well as a lot of other teams. I really do think a person has a dim view on downing a coach or a team when that person is ill-advised on what is going on and is dense to the nature of the game its self other than just making wisecracks.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

A 20-30 point swing in a game is not a "once in a lifetime" comeback. I've seen several of them and I'm not even very old.

chsballn
Freshman Team

Post by chsballn »

Mercy Rule ?

I wonder why the NCAA does not use a mercy rule for Sacred Hearts, High Point's and the Walsh's ?

Oh I forgot, that money !

DiEsEl
Waterboy

Post by DiEsEl »

Te is already a 'mercy rule' in effect for OHSAA regulated basketball. IF both coaches agree time in ANY quarter can be reduced. For example Team A is blowing out Team B by 40 at the half. Team B coach can ask Team A coach (or vice versa) if they would agree to reduce the time per quarter the remainder of the game. Also, you still have good sportsmanship so perhaps the team in the lead in a blowout could take out starters, pull off any press, pass the ball more on offense etc etc etc.

Return to “Girls Basketball”