Southern At Waterford

hoopitup
Freshman Team

Southern At Waterford

Post by hoopitup »

There is no JV game. This game will start at 7:00.

Let's here your thoughts on this one.

Mr.Clutch42
Waterboy

Post by Mr.Clutch42 »

i will take waterford by 15+

GOOD BETTER BEST

Never let it rest
until your GOOD is BETTER
and you BETTER is BEST
junkie
Waterboy

Post by junkie »

Waterford BIG

marklane
JV Team

Waterford

Post by marklane »

Good luck to my cousins Jessi Drayer and Britany Brown! ;-) :lol:

Gregg811
Varsity

Post by Gregg811 »

Good luck to all the Lady Cats tonight. The Green & White will win this game BIG!!! Go Sina

Kerinon
Freshman Team

Post by Kerinon »

BIG indeed 95-26!!! The first two minutes of this game were insane! Those girls showed in two short minutes why they're regarded as one of the best teams in their division!! Really wanted to see triple digits after they got so close!! Great job ladies!

Mr.Clutch42
Waterboy

Post by Mr.Clutch42 »

i was happy for the teams big win but the coach did not show any class running up the score with the press

congrats wildcats

GOOD BETTER BEST

Never let it rest
and you BETTER is BEST
Lancer_Fan
Varsity

Post by Lancer_Fan »

Agree whole heartedly.....

I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew!
Mr.Clutch42
Waterboy

Post by Mr.Clutch42 »

coach close of waterford has no class when it comes to sports

GOOD BETTER BEST

Never let it rest
and you BETTER is BEST
hoopitup
Freshman Team

Post by hoopitup »

They pressed the first half. Half of the second quarter Drayer was out as well as he kept subbing in and for Brown and King. The whole fourth quarter King, Brown and Drayer were out. If coach would have wanted to run up the score it would have been 120-26.

Lancer_Fan
Varsity

Post by Lancer_Fan »

The score had to be out of hand in the first quarter. The press should have been put to rest then. The starters should have been on the bench the entire second half with a lead that big.

I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew!
stlrfan
Waterboy

Post by stlrfan »

Waterford has a chance to be a great team this year and have a real special year. Most of their games are not going to much of games, but if they want to stay competative they have to play games. If the girls have to come out everytime they are winning by fifteen or twenty, they will lose that killer instinct that will help them compete later in the season. They deserve to at least play three quarters of a game. If they go out and play with no heart and don't learn how to execute they will never be able to beat africentric and teams like that. You can be mad if you want, but the girls need this. As far as coach close having no class, i would have to strongly agree. If he wasn't coaching like this and they lost games later in the year because the couldn't close out the game, many people would be saying that he should have coached as he is now. I think that if they are ever gonna compete and close out games, this is the way to learn how to do those necessary skills.

powerhouse
Waterboy

Post by powerhouse »

yes! i'd definitely say that its the starters' fault. i mean, they probably don't even want to play even though they are winning, so lets just let the staters work their butts off in the first half so they just don't even go in the 2nd.. makes a lot of sense! The wildcats only have 8 varsity players anyway... its a little hard to take all 5 starters out, dont ya think?

Dictator
JV Team

Post by Dictator »

This is ridiculous, the Lady Cats back ups played the whole 3rd and 4th quarters, a game is a game when you have the back ups in they should go at it just like it was tied up to get the experience they need at the varsity level. Your telling these girls to go in and stand there and not score. You are crazy, if these girls press all game don't you think that they should go in and do what they would do if the game was close...

As for 2 starters in the game in the end, do the math 8 girls total, 5 starters three backups

take the starters out, you are playing with 3, you kinda have to put 2 starters back in...

The lady Cats sent the message that they are the best team in the TVC :!:

FalconX
JV Team

Post by FalconX »

Similar case with Minford last Monday. We pressed most of the 1st quarter and that was all we pressed for the entire game. Our 1st team played the first quarter and pressed and scored 28. The 2nd and 3rd teams play the 2nd quarter and puts up 28. 1st team back in for 1/2 of the third quarter and team scores 24. 4th quarter saw 2nd and 3rd team with 11. Everyone scored and we did not try to run up the score, but did not backoff of playing good, sound, fundamental basketball. The trouble going up against a weak opponent this early in the season, it doesn't allow for you to prepare for the tougher one's without getting chastised the way some are doing Waterford on this thread.

http://www.portsmouth-dailytimes.com/ar ... ts_rdp.txt

P. West 6 4 1 7 - 18
Minford 28 28 24 11 - 91

West - Swords 3 1 7, Graf 2 0 4, Wiget 1 1 3, Carver 1 0 2, Evans 1 0 2. Totals 8 2 18

Minford - Harris 6 0 14, Gambill 5 1 11, Justice 3 4 11, Conrad 1 6 8, McManus 4 0 8, E. Donahoe 2 3 7, Rudd 3 1 7, Martin 2 2 6, A. Donahoe 3 0 6, Moore 1 4 6, Spradlin 2 0 5, Mannering 1 0 2. Totals 33 21 91.

3-pointers - West None. Minford 4 (Harris 2, Spradlin, Justice)

Record - Minford 2-0.

Mr.Clutch42
Waterboy

Post by Mr.Clutch42 »

if there is only eight varsity players then the coach needs to bring up more of the jv then. coach close has more girls to bring up that could use the experience in the varsity level. when the vasity is up by thirty the jv could be put in. it would also make the jv a more competitive team.

GOOD BETTER BEST

Never let it rest
and you BETTER is BEST
Gregg811
Varsity

Post by Gregg811 »

The LADY CATS have some very tough games down the road. How are these girls going to get the experience of playing together, preparing for tougher competion, pressing defenses if they aren't aloud to play thier game. These girls are very competive ball players and tell them they need to back off the defense or playing the game as is should be is rediculous.
You play the schedule as it is, especially if it is a league game. You can't always have the tough games all the time.
As far as Coach not being classy you people have no clue what you are talking about. Give it a rest. Let the LADY CATS play their game.
GO LADY CATS GOOD LUCK THE REST OF THE SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dictator
JV Team

Post by Dictator »

Mr.Clutch42 wrote:if there is only eight varsity players then the coach needs to bring up more of the jv then. coach close has more girls to bring up that could use the experience in the varsity level. when the vasity is up by thirty the jv could be put in. it would also make the jv a more competitive team.

Clutch give it a rest, they earn their spots on the varsity team. The ones that earned their spot played the game they should have played.

GIVE IT A REST...

Orestes
S

Post by Orestes »

My view on this is that the press should have been stopped after quarter #1. I have no problem with the starters playing for 3 quarters, however. I do think the team would need to play a lot and gel, despite the competition.

The reason I feel the press should be called off is because 1) it would slow the pace of the game and limit scoring 2) It would force Waterford starters to work on half court defense 3) It would allow Southern an opportunity to take some shots 4) It would force Waterford to work on scoring from half-court offensive sets.

Why work the pressure for more than the initial outburst of scoring? Obviously, Southern is not going to break the press nearly as well as a good team, so no practice is gained. Also, it shouldn't have been done for conditioning purposes, as conditioning can be handled in practice.

Waterford could have used this game as an opportunity to show respect and class for high school sports (not professional or even free scholarship level), they could have worked on their half-court offense, because someone will eventually slow the pace on them this year. How will they respond? The same can be said for Waterford working on their half-court defense. They will eventually face a team that will break the press, and that team will force Waterford to play good half-court defense. Why not use a game such as Southern to work on these things?

All in all, Waterford's coach is either not the type of person to think ahead for the benefit of the team (ala force your girls to work on their weaknesses), or he is a total a$$clown.

IMK01
Riding the Bench

Post by IMK01 »

Orestes - very well stated post. I agree with you on all of your points. Plus, what's that saying about "Paybacks"???

Return to “Girls Basketball”