Oak Hill Lady Oaks 2008-09

Judge Smales
Freshman Team

Re: Oak Hill Lady Oaks 2008-09

Post by Judge Smales »

KNOLLWOOD wrote:
hawkeyepierce wrote:I have NOT slammed anyone. I have NEVER mention anyone by name.

As far as my "female Oppression" comment think about this. Have you ever noticed that women who grown up in Vinton County, that are driven and motivated no longer live in Vinton County but are highly successful elsewhere. And most of the most successful women that live and work in Vinton County did not grow up here. Of course, it is a generalization, but there is some truth to it. The point is we has Appalachian parents have trouble shooing the birds from the nest. The need or want of the parents is greater than the love to see children grow into their own successful person. And, of course, there are those that live "vicariously."

I don't care how I will be remember. I know, those that I have supported know and those that have supported me know the truth. Moreover, there are things bigger than Vinton County basketball, Oak Hill basketball or ME. And it begins with what we teach our children.

Hawkeye - I don't mean to paraphrase you, but you have just said that a woman who has grown up in Vinton County cannot be successful if she stays there. Does that apply to men, also? You have fallen into that age old philosophy that to be successful you have to get away from Vinton County. If our children grow up to be intelligient, successful human beings with compassion for others, how have we not succeeded?
What exactly are you teaching your children?

Knollwood, do you live or have you ever lived in Vinton County?

KNOLLWOOD
Waterboy

Post by KNOLLWOOD »

Captain Jack wrote:Calm down, folks! Remember this is supposed to be a "friendly" forum. ;-)

Captain Jack - To tell someone to "calm down" would insinuate that someone was upset which is not the case! :-D

Judge Smales - Do you?

Judge Smales
Freshman Team

Post by Judge Smales »

KNOLLWOOD wrote:
Captain Jack wrote:Calm down, folks! Remember this is supposed to be a "friendly" forum. ;-)

Captain Jack - To tell someone to "calm down" would insinuate that someone was upset which is not the case! :-D

Judge Smales - Do you?

Graduated there in 1988 and spend time there weekly with family and friends! And?

So I am to assume the answer to my question is NO!

seohiofan
JV Team

Post by seohiofan »

i thought this was supposed to be a thread about the lady oaks and its turned into "hawkeye bashing"
1st of all i do not know hawkeye but im sure he is just interested in whats best for the girls of vinton county
or oak hill or anywhere for that matter i didnt really see where he slammed any1 he just seems to be upholding what he thinks is right.Im sure there isnt a person that follows any high school program that wants to see the kids they have rooted for and cheered on for so long go somewhere else but its going to happen from time to time for a number of reasons.I tend to agree with falconflyer that school boards and superintendents really need to take a look at the coaches, not that the vinton county coach is a bad coach or anything "i have no idea" of the situation there other than they have a good records last couple years i do feel there is alot more to being a coach than just the x's and o's ! what the school leaders need to realize that every parent just wants their child to succeed and that doesnt necessarily mean they expect their child to be a star they just want to give there child the best oppotunity they can and if that means taking their child to a different school to give them that chance thats something that only the parents can answer but i feel its a much bigger sacrifice on their part than any1 else! so before any1 complains too much look at it this way if your child wanted to be a science major and vinton county had the reputation as having the best high school science program and your child asked if he/she could transfer there so that they would have a better chance at succeeding most parents would at least consider it . so lets face the facts that whether its right or wrong alot of kids feel their way of getting into a good college is thru atheletics and for some transferring is a way to achieve that goal !

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Knollwood, I am done with you. It is obvious you have reading comprehension problems.

I don't mean to paraphrase you, but you have just said that a woman who has grown up in Vinton County cannot be successful if she stays there.

No. I DID NOT say that. What I said again was, that in the past, women that have been highly successful elsewhere are, well, ELSEWHERE. Can they be successful here? ABSOLUTELY! There are highly successful women here, but most did not grow up HERE. That is my point.

Does that apply to men, also? You have fallen into that age old philosophy that to be successful you have to get away from Vinton County.

First, I didn't mention men, but since you did. Granted men have it easier, I am liberal enough to say that. Men as well as women can be successful ANYWHERE, but the reality is that those who are driven, motivated and goal-oriented go ELSEWHERE. However, I am sure the same can be said for any school district in America.

If our children grow up to be intelligient, successful human beings with compassion for others, how have we not succeeded?

Yes. That is a stupid question. However, the question is can they be that without the interference and the dependency of Mom and Dad?

What exactly are you teaching your children?

Well, I am teaching my child that there is more to life than what he sees around him. I am teaching him that no matter where he goes not to forget where he come from, use those experiences of home to shape his life, not to become his life. His life and experiences will dictate his success, not me.

"Few of us are prepared to accept that is our attempts to control that destroys the only thing we have with our children that gives us some control over them, our relationship. The choice theory child-rearing axiom is this: Don't choose to do anything with a child whom you want to grow up to be happy, successful, and close to you, that you believe will increase the distance between you. It is all but impossible for controlling people to accept that axiom when it means don't criticize, threaten, complain, put down, punish or bribe anyone, including your children, with whom you want to stay close."

William Glasser M.D.
Psychologist and Author

Thank you SEOfan

KNOLLWOOD
Waterboy

Post by KNOLLWOOD »

Judge Smales wrote:Graduated there in 1988 and spend time there weekly with family and friends! And?

So I am to assume the answer to my question is NO!

Just like you I spend more time away from VC than there. If Hawkeye's hypothesis were factual than I can assume you are a successful man or woman.

seohiofan wrote:i thought this was supposed to be a thread about the lady oaks and its turned into "hawkeye bashing"
1st of all i do not know hawkeye but im sure he is just interested in whats best for the girls of vinton county
or oak hill or anywhere for that matter i didnt really see where he slammed any1 he just seems to be upholding what he thinks is right.Im sure there isnt a person that follows any high school program that wants to see the kids they have rooted for and cheered on for so long go somewhere else but its going to happen from time to time for a number of reasons.I tend to agree with falconflyer that school boards and superintendents really need to take a look at the coaches, not that the vinton county coach is a bad coach or anything "i have no idea" of the situation there other than they have a good records last couple years i do feel there is alot more to being a coach than just the x's and o's ! what the school leaders need to realize that every parent just wants their child to succeed and that doesnt necessarily mean they expect their child to be a star they just want to give there child the best oppotunity they can and if that means taking their child to a different school to give them that chance thats something that only the parents can answer but i feel its a much bigger sacrifice on their part than any1 else! so before any1 complains too much look at it this way if your child wanted to be a science major and vinton county had the reputation as having the best high school science program and your child asked if he/she could transfer there so that they would have a better chance at succeeding most parents would at least consider it . so lets face the facts that whether its right or wrong alot of kids feel their way of getting into a good college is thru atheletics and for some transferring is a way to achieve that goal !

seohiofan - Your post has some excellent wisdom in it but I think if you had taken the time to read through previous posts by Hawkeye (oops sorry I forgot that is not possible because the moderators had to pull two of those threads) you would be reluctant to say he has never done any bashing. It is a case of "willing to dish it out but can't take it."

Hawkeye -

I wish I had a dollar for every time on this site you have had to say to someone "I am done with you!" I don't think it is my reading that is in question but more your inability to express your thoughts accurately.

Judge Smales
Freshman Team

Post by Judge Smales »

So again Knollwood you have in fact never lived in Vinton County and yes I would consider myself somewhat successful. 8) Yes, I did in fact leave because of the lack of opportunity there. I love Vinton County and would jump at the chance to move back to live and work in such a fine community! :aaaaa58

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I have not bashed anyone or I have done any bashing! I am very respectful to the people of Oak Hill and their academics and athletics. I have articulated my arguments and try to express my concerns and my opinions. You don't have to agree with me.

rivercat
Freshman Team

Post by rivercat »

Knowing that this is a Lady Oak's post, let me start out by saying congratulations to Coach Hale's program for all of their success. They are not only a source of pride for the Oak Hill community, but all of southeastern Ohio as well. Coach Hale runs his program the right way and the work he puts into it shows on the court.
That being said, I have to offer a word of support for Hawkeyepierce. His post's are eloquent and sometime's misunderstood, but make no mistake about his commitment to making opportunities for the young people in Vinton County. He has spent countless hours of his own time and dollars of his own rescorces to give VC's youth athletic opportunities that they otherwise would not have had. Hawkeye along with Judge Grillo have made positive differences in the lives of Vinton Counties young people with their efforts and it is greatly appreciated in our community.
I think he also understands that communities make investments in their young athletes with both time and money,and quite frankly when they leave, it's hurts. I try not to speculate on any decisions parents make to move kids from one school district to another. I only hope they realize that loyalty and trust are important factors in making that decision.

VCLoyLT
Waterboy

Post by VCLoyLT »

OK..I am new to all of this but I have lived in VC all of my life and I LOVE it! I wanted to start with that. I don't have a problem with students transferring IF it is really in the best interest of the student. No I am not saying that Oak Hill schools are not as good as VC or vice versa...what I am saying is that this particular student transferred for one reason and one reason only...she was not getting her way! The VC girls are excellent athletes and could go very far if they ALL worked as a team. I would also like to add that VC is in a larger division which means that the competition that they see is much more difficult so I would think that it would be better for a player of her abilities to play in a higher division so that she could continue to improve on her skills.

All I am really saying is maybe all of you guys that think she is moving just because Oak Hill has a better program might want to watch out. You may get more than you bargained for. When a child is upset and throws a temper tantrum everyone around them is miserable. When one student is upset with a coach he or she should be taught that you always respect the coach no matter what. It is NEVER ok to back talk or bash that coach publicly. I can only hope that there is never a problem with this at Oak Hill

Judge Smales
Freshman Team

Post by Judge Smales »

VCLoyLT that will never happen in Oak Hill. The coaches control and run their programs, not the parents. I can assure you, if a player or parent trys to impose their will on Coach Hale or Coach Persin that player or parent will not be part of their program for very long at all. They also are very committed to a team concept. So if a player or parent had trouble with that concept at another school they are in for a rude awakening in Oak Hill. This is going to be fun to watch! :aaaaa6

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

vc,
divisions usually dont mean a thing.

welcome to the site.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

cj, love the avatar, one of my favorite bands.

crazee-oakaholic
All Conference

Post by crazee-oakaholic »

How about we get this "Oak Hill Lady Oaks 2008-09" topic...back on topic!

iwearblacknikes
S

Post by iwearblacknikes »

GO LADY OAKS

SEO_BBALL001
Waterboy

Post by SEO_BBALL001 »

All that i have to say is that the two thunder girls, Karissa Adkins and Rebecca Puckett, will be unstopable. i have seen the two play with the wv thunder before and both are very good ball player. Puckett will be a great addition to the oak hill team. i look for them to do very well next year!

Return to “Girls Basketball”