Alexander 08-09

SEO_BBALL001
Waterboy

Re: Alexander 08-09

Post by SEO_BBALL001 »

I belive they will be good. Four starters are returing. Lauren Reines, Whitney Smith, Kaitlyn Guthrie, Morgan Grinstead are returning starters. Top scores is still there in Whitney Smith. And i beleive that Kathy Kasler should step up and start. I do believe that she should of started last year or at least go to play more that she did(and people in the crowds thought so too, trust me). A great shooter and she can bring the ball down the court but for what ever reason Coach Guthrie didnt play her. that girls is in the gym like crazy working on her game. But anyways i believe that they will be better that last year. Good luck to the lady Spartans this year!

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

The Lady Spartans will only be losing one player to graduation. I also believe they will be better next year. All the girls work had. They know how to play as a TEAM. The girls on team that will be senior, were undefeated their 8th grade year so this coming year will be their year to show what they can do again. Given the chance that is. There is not a weak sport on that team in my opinion. Go luck Ladies!!!!!!!

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Gilligan wrote:I'm done posting on Vinton County threads. I'm sticking to schools in Athens County now. Folks from VC were threatening me, leaving numbers for me to call, then when I would call they would not answer. Now I see the VC thread has been deleted so I'm just not associating myself with those people anymore.

Hmmmm..I bet you renege on that one(see VC thread) :shock: :roll:

Alexander has a great girls program and I'm sure Coach Guthrie will have their team ready for another strong TVC campaign. Best of luck from your friends at VC. 8)

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

yep gilly sure did renege!

Good Luck to the Lady Spartans in 08-09

PushMePullYou
Freshman Team

Post by PushMePullYou »

Alexander should have an awesome group of Seniors. These girls are amazing competitors and several All State Atheletes...

Heather McClain
Jenny Pyle
Lauren Raines
Emily Skidmore
Whitney Smith

(Hope I didn't forget any soon-to-be-seniors)

Birdman
Riding the Bench

Post by Birdman »

push and pull I would to say the vickings will be very tough again next year. Alexander seemed like they never got any better last year. I heard Meigs was getting a post player to go with their guard and NY will be tough also. The league will come down to who works the hardest this summer who plays more AAU gamesso my pick is VC

PushMePullYou
Freshman Team

Post by PushMePullYou »

birdman wrote:push and pull I would to say the vickings will be very tough again next year. Alexander seemed like they never got any better last year. I heard Meigs was getting a post player to go with their guard and NY will be tough also. The league will come down to who works the hardest this summer who plays more AAU gamesso my pick is VC

I am puzzelled by your comment...Alexander DID improve (as any good team does) and beat VC at Alex late in the season...

My prediction for next year:

1) Alexander
2) Vinton County
3) Nelsonville
4) Meigs
5) Athens
6) Belpre
7) Wellston

Early season league matchups will be key...

alexanderspartan
Waterboy

Post by alexanderspartan »

My predictions:
1) Alexander
2) Nelsonville
3) Meigs
4) Vinton County
5) Athens
6) Belpre
7) Wellston

Birdman
Riding the Bench

Post by Birdman »

push and pull are you sure it was alex getting better or was VC slipping. VC didn't win a game the last 4 or 5 games of the season and then lost to New lex. in the tournament. I did see Alex in the Ironton shootout. If they win the TVC then I will be very surprised. They were very small and lost 3 games out of 5 at Ironton

PushMePullYou
Freshman Team

Post by PushMePullYou »

birdman wrote:push and pull are you sure it was alex getting better or was VC slipping. VC didn't win a game the last 4 or 5 games of the season and then lost to New lex. in the tournament. I did see Alex in the Ironton shootout. If they win the TVC then I will be very surprised. They were very small and lost 3 games out of 5 at Ironton

Alexander will win games with speed, defense, REBOUNDING, and good shooting. I believe that Alex was missing several key players for various shootouts this summer - Not sure about Ironton...

Some of the most competitive young ladies in the State of Ohio are on this team - I look for them to play hard every game...Coach Guthrie will accept no less...

Gp Spartans!!!

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

I will have to agree with push, the Lady Spartans will be a tough team again this year. I know that there are many girls that have not been able to attend many of the shootouts because of other commitments but I believe that with the love they all have for the game and the competitive attitudes these ladies have, they will not be a push over this coming year. Life is too short to give your all to one sport and I know that some of these girls play several sports. These girls are great kids all around. Not just as athletes but also as students. One of the best group of kids to come through the Alexander school system in years. I have all the faith in the world in these ladies. They were much better then people gave them credit for last year and I think that just shows what they are capable of doing. Best of luck Lady Spartans. Show them how tough you are. This is your year... ;-)

Birdman
Riding the Bench

Post by Birdman »

sports mom I did not say the spartans would be a push over I simply stated that it would surprise me if they win the league. Most players for every school plays other sports. The old saying there comes a time in Feb. when it shows what you did in the summer. I know for a fact that Oak Hill had a great summer taking the whole team to GBA tournaments and being very competitive as well as Minford, South Point, and Ironton looked good in the summer. These teams got better together as a complete team and it sounds like Alex only had a few girls get better. All of these teams are in the same district. O.H. beat Alex last year in the district finals and got fortunate with the movin of a very good player and a couple freshman that can play also. They are much improved from last year and Alex had their best rebounder/post graudate. If the Alex girls loved basketball as much as you say they do them they all would have found time to play just like every other team has. You can't get better if you don't play just because you get a day older does not mean you become a better player. The summer is over so we will find out in do time. My pick for the regional teams will be Oak Hill and Minford. I am sure these are very nice group of girls but the comment "best to come through the school in years" I followed the girls to the state tournament and that group of girls were very respectful and humble(classy)

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

Birdman....I didn't say you said that Alex would be a push over. I was stating my point of view that they will be stronger then everyone gives them credit for. They lost ONE player and she was a good player...but there are others who will get to show their talent this year. They lost 3 last year and they were all 3 outstanding players. The young team done very well for losing the talent that they did last season. I am not here to bicker about anything. Just voicing my opinion on what I feel will be a great team. I would also like to wish good luck to all the other teams in the area. There is alot of talent in this area. Time will tell. I know these girls will leave it all on the floor and that is all that matters. They are not quitters by a long shot. The talent is in them and it will show. Best of luck!

akwhitewater
Freshman Team

Post by akwhitewater »

If I remember correctly one of the tallest players on the State team 2 years ago was only 5'9", Coach Guthrie's daughter Keilee. Yes it would be nice to have some larger players but there is no substitute for a strong love of the game and a determination that never quits. There is also a lot to be said for a coach who pushes you and believes in you. I know for a fact the Alexander has just that kind of coach. He will have them ready to compete as always!

I would like to add my best wishes to the Lady Spartans this
year and I can't wait to see what is in store for you! As an Alumni, this program makes me VERY PROUD!

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

akwhitewater, I agree totally with you. Coach will have these girls ready for anyone they face. These girls love the game and will give everything they have for their team and coach. Good luck Ladies!!!!!!!!

akwhitewater
Freshman Team

Post by akwhitewater »

Sportsmom- Hey I heard a rumor that the Spartans are going to Alaska. Do you know if this is true? If so do you know who they are going to play? Do them play B-Ball in Alaska?

sports mom 09
Freshman Team

Post by sports mom 09 »

I have heard they ARE going to Alaska. Sometime around Christmas and New Years. Not sure of the schedule up there. Just know that is what the talk was last year and heard the school board approved it. They must play b-ball in Alaska, heard that this is a great experience for the girls. Must be some competitive teams up there. Once in a lifetime experience for them. Bet the cost is going to be out of this world for the girls. Maybe they will get some help from local businesses..Go Spartans

Do-Your-Job
Riding the Bench

Post by Do-Your-Job »

Not sure how birdman can say Alexander never seemed to get better last year. They beat No. 1 seed Huntington and the D-III district player of the year in Bridenbaugh in the district semifinals, and came within points of knocking out Oak Hill in the district finals. I say a team that comes that close to making it to the regional tournament made great strides throughout the season.

Denton Guthrie is a great coach and gets all he can out of his players. And as long as he's putting Whitney Smith and Lauren Raines in his starting lineup, the Spartans will be a factor. Those girls are winners, and have played in more state tournaments already than most players can ever even dream of. The Spartans might've lost to both Vinton County and Nelsonville-York in the regular season, but come tournament time, Alexander was the last of those TVC-Ohio teams still standing. They are tournament savy.

Although the volleyball success can kind of be a double-edged sword as far as basketball goes. It's great to have success in both sports, and it's great to play both sports. But there's only so much time to work on both in the summer. So I'm not sure how those two girls juggle that, but they can't be in two places at once sometimes. Their goals in volleyball seem to be winning the entire state championship, so reaching that goal obviously requires a ton of hard work.

Return to “Girls Basketball”