Teams to Watch For

PunkyBrucester
Waterboy

Teams to Watch For

Post by PunkyBrucester »

I'm looking at making a top 5 or 10 for the girls(like pfloyd does for the boys) and I'm looking for some insight from around the district. I know of the Northwestern part(Chillicothe, Court House) so I'll need help in other areas.

Please give some information, don't just say, Southern is going to be so awesome!! Give some reasons, returning starters, what have you. Thanks!

sball32
Riding the Bench

Re: Teams to Watch For

Post by sball32 »

OVC

South Point

SEOAL

South
Chillicothe
Ironton
Jackson

North
Logan
Marietta

TVC-Hocking
Federal Hocking
Waterford

TVC-Ohio
Alexander
Nelsonville-York

SOC1
New Boston
ND

SOC2
Minford
Burg
Oak Hill

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto returns pretty much everybody and has a great coach in Cyndy Driggs. Lost in the District Finals last year and went 22-2.

Miami Trace went 20-2 last year and returns 4 starters and the Cobb girl might be the best in the district.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

That sectional at Adena will really be murder this year.Not like it hasn't been already right?? Alot of teams that could be possible regional teams in other divisions dont even get out of the sectionals at Adena.I would say it's one of if not the toughest sectional in the state.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

^^
Definetly.

Look at last year's records, I mean, Washington was a 7 seed and was 12-8 going into the tournament! They also lost 0 players, McClain(6 seed, 13-8) lost 0 players, Logan Elm(5 seed, 15-6) lost 0 players...these are players, not starters! Miami Trace was the 4 seed and lost 1 starter, Unioto lost 2 players, 1 starter.

Chillicothe lost 2 starters, right? And return Day(who would've started if not for being injured)

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

We only lost one starter in Megan Lee and two non starters in Lova Green and Whitney Lynch.And yes,Day will be back this year.So in essence we lost one and gained one so to speak.
Last edited by Black Panther on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slamdunk
Varsity

Post by slamdunk »

In the SHL, Eastern Brown, as always, will be in contention for the league title. They seem to always be at the top of the league and in contention for district titles. They have had some injury difficulties, but if they get healthy will be tough to handle. Some of the other contenders include Lynchburg, who has most of their girls back from last year, Fayetteville, who is always very fundamentally sound and have a lot of talent coming back, and maybe a surprise team, North Adams, the Lady Devils are young but very talented, look for them to be contending for the league title as well.

daluvofallsports
Waterboy

Post by daluvofallsports »

south point will be tough this year and fun to watch.

chillicothe will also be tough.

oak hill will be the dominate team in their soc. should watch this team play.

tarheels18
Freshman Team

Post by tarheels18 »

piketon

daluvofallsports
Waterboy

Post by daluvofallsports »

just saw piketon's schedule. going to try to come and watch a game or two. i've heard their new coach has done a great job with the girls.

slamdunk
Varsity

Post by slamdunk »

tarheels18 wrote:piketon

Must agree with tarheels18. Saw them play this summer and they looked pretty good. Met their new coach as well, he seems to be a good guy.

seohiofan
JV Team

Post by seohiofan »

in the socII
oak hill will be a team to watch very talented group
minford and wheelersburg should be good as well

barman
Riding the Bench

Post by barman »

A report from the field - I saw Unioto scrim. S. Webster on Sat. - and was extremely impressed with the U. IMO, they are already considerably better than they ended last year. The guards have filled out and matured and can score from 18' and in at will almost, and these kids all rebound. They run the floor well and see each other very well. Plus, the U has probably the best low post presence in the area - and 2 more 5'10" subs who would start for most other teams. What really excited me was the pressure D - these kids were everywhere, but in an intelligent way. If they stay healthy, they will be extremely difficult to beat. It is obvious that bball was a priority this summer and someone said the whole team committed to all summer events - and it shows.

I was equally impressed with the JV team. Multiple athletic 5'10"+ players and a host of very young, talented
guards. This JV team will not lose very many times, and I imagine 5+ of these kids will be impact players at varsity level in the coming years. I don't recall how long it has been since the U had so many good players at both levels - and I am no spring chicken.

The schedule shows the U playing W.C.H., Greenfield, Amanda and L.E., non-conference: teams I have noticed
folks on here are picking to compete for league titles - so the U should be challenged. And, my guess is that
the SVC will be a little stronger as Adena, Z.T., Piketon, P.V. and Westfall have most of their players returning. The U plays Adena and Z.T away early in the year so we will know how things are going to shape up for them early on. I am looking forward to seeing some good games.

Ricky Gemstone
Waterboy

Post by Ricky Gemstone »

Waterford's girls team should be the strongest team in d4 and maybe in all the southeast. Heard they beat Berlin Hiland in their first scrimmage.

seohiofan
JV Team

Post by seohiofan »

Ricky Gemstone wrote:Waterford's girls team should be the strongest team in d4 and maybe in all the southeast. Heard they beat Berlin Hiland in their first scrimmage.

who are some of their non-league games?

who else
Waterboy

Post by who else »

Waterford girls have one of the toughest non-league schedules that they have ever had. They have earned the honors of playing in the Classic in the Country at Berlin Hiland where they are playing Bucyrus. They also play Marietta, Parkersburg South (AAA State champs in WV) twice, Zanesville Rosecrans, and Oak Hill besides their league games. As far as league games, they play Alexander (who made it to the final 4 a couple of years ago) at home, and Federal Hocking will be a tough team this year as well. This team went to the Classic last year and beat East Canton who was ranked 7th in the state last year. If you ask me this team should definitely be ranked in the state this year.

marathon rebel
Freshman Team

Post by marathon rebel »

Got to watch that waterford team twice last year... really good team should be ranked at least top 8 in the state!

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

South Point only lost one senior starter and they made it to the regionals last year with two freshmen who started. They return a great core of athletes in Leighty and Taylor, seniors, Bradburn and Fletcher, sophomores who all started last year. Add to it Goodall and Stewart who both saw plenty of action on varsity as Freshmen last year. Plus they have a great athlete in freshman Allison Mitchell who I am sure will see plenty of action on varsity this year. I think they will have a hard time fielding a competitive JV team due to the fact that a lot of the underclassmen either are cheering, tranferred or simply don't want to play. They really will miss khounlavong and Henderson who are cheering and Roarke who transferred to Boyd County.

Return to “Girls Basketball”