Portsmouth Lady Trojans

TrojanHorse
Riding the Bench

Portsmouth Lady Trojans

Post by TrojanHorse »

Who is available to work with a dedicated group of young girls who want to improve their basketball skills and turn around the Lady Trojans program?

Sure, last year's team only won a couple of games with 8 freshmen, 2 sophomores, and 2 juniors, with almost everyone playing on both JV and varsity, but these girls want to play and win. A dynamic coach who can teach great fundementals and provide a lot of encouragement will benefit from a talented group of girls including those who played last year and other talented players who did not play because of the previous coach.

PHS pays well, has a lot of supportive parents and the support of the AD and school administration.

monk
Riding the Bench

Re: Portsmouth Lady Trojans

Post by monk »

What happened to Nickel?

TrojanHorse
Riding the Bench

Post by TrojanHorse »

Jeff is going to be working with Robin Hagen Smith at SSU. I am not sure in what capacity, but I know that Robin is very high on Jeff and his knowledge of the game.

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

Post by trojanofthepast »

What talent do the girls have coming back that were successful on last years team?

TrojanHorse
Riding the Bench

Post by TrojanHorse »

It's a young team that has a lot of potential: Ashleigh Link and Ruthee Stanley (juniors), Taysha McGinnis and Cailyn Rodriquez (sophomores); and four or five freshmen who worked real hard last season having to play in every JV and varsity game. Look for Kasey Simpson to step up her game as well as Richiel McGraw and Shanyce Rollins. Leda Daehler and Shae Cartee improved throughout the season.

I understand there are several girls who decided not to play last year because of the coach want to play and one or two transfers who indicated they would play this season.

Sure they had a terrible season record winning only 2 games, but with good leadership, you can bet that record would change in a hurry. It's a great opportunity to build a great program.

Here's the post by Portsmouth AD, Joe Albrecht, on another thread in this forum:

The Portsmouth High School Athletic Department
is seeking the position of Head Girls Varsity Basketball Coach for the 2009-10
basketball season. Deadline for interested applicants
will be Wed. May 20th 2009.
Thank you, Joe Albrecht
Portsmouth Sr./Jr. Athletic Director

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Who all has applied??? how many names, and who?

trojanofthepast
Freshman Team

Post by trojanofthepast »

Just wondering if there is any news on who has applied for the job? This team will be much improved from last year. They return 3 Freshmen starter, 2 Juniors, and with Hannah Foster at the point now. This team did not have any Seniors from last year.

Last years starters:

S. Rollins FR
K. Simpson FR
R. McGraw FR
T. McGinnis JR
A. Link JR

Key Reserves:

R. Stanley JR
K. Rodriguez JR

Transfered in this year:

Hannah Foster Soph
Last edited by trojanofthepast on Mon May 25, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrojanHorse
Riding the Bench

Post by TrojanHorse »

Trojanofthepast, I couldn't agree with you more. This team will win under good leadership.

No word from the AD at PHS. I know he has been making some calls, but now the deadline is May 29. The girls will have to attend open gyms on their own (I know that is what they are supposed to do), but it would help to have someone take charge and get them to shootouts after June.

Some names have surfaced, but no one officially.

I know that Dan Stanley who was just named the PHS varsity girls volleyball coach at last week's board meeting would like the job. Could he do both? Probably and would do a good job. He is now coaching the SO Magic 16u/17u girls AAU team with some success.

I understand that Joe Albrecht, the PHS AD, has asked Dan to help until someone is named head coach, so maybe Joe thinks he could do both. I think he can and would do a great job!

Anyone think otherwise?

BigTime
JV Team

Post by BigTime »

TrojanHorse wrote:Trojanofthepast, I couldn't agree with you more. This team will win under good leadership.

No word from the AD at PHS. I know he has been making some calls, but now the deadline is May 29. The girls will have to attend open gyms on their own (I know that is what they are supposed to do), but it would help to have someone take charge and get them to shootouts after June.

Some names have surfaced, but no one officially.

I know that Dan Stanley who was just named the PHS varsity girls volleyball coach at last week's board meeting would like the job. Could he do both? Probably and would do a good job. He is now coaching the SO Magic 16u/17u girls AAU team with some success.

I understand that Joe Albrecht, the PHS AD, has asked Dan to help until someone is named head coach, so maybe Joe thinks he could do both. I think he can and would do a great job!

Anyone think otherwise?

I agree, I would like to see Dan Stanley at least get a chance to interview for the job. He knows this group of girls very well. He knows their strengths and weaknesses from last year. I have heard some of the names of possible coaches that have applied. And in my opinion they are not the right people for this job. I have a vested interest in this team and would like to see growth in the women's programs at PHS. I hope they hire someone that cares about the women's basketball program and not just use it as a stepping stone to the next great place. I want someone to make this program that great place. I also don't want someone that has been around and just wants something to occupy their time. Or just want to do it for the pay. We need HEART, LEADERSHIP, and a DESIRE to put this program on the map. It's important to me, and this community for our Lady's to have the best chance to be successful. I will not settle, nor should these girls have to settle for anything less than a great coach. WE ARE THE PORTSMOUTH LADY TROJANS!

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

I heard that possibly two coaches, along with Stanley, one who is not currently involved with the Southern Ohio Magic, but coached on the boy's side for two years, could be getting looks. any info from the portsmouth natives?

tagyourit
Riding the Bench

Post by tagyourit »

Why did Nickel resign and go to Shawnee? Didn't he put in for the boys job as well?

fightingtigers45
S

Post by fightingtigers45 »

Runner00 wrote:I heard that possibly two coaches, along with Stanley, one who is not currently involved with the Southern Ohio Magic, but coached on the boy's side for two years, could be getting looks. any info from the portsmouth natives?

I assume you're referring to Pertuset. I say that PHS should give the kid a serious look. He knows his stuff.

slamdunk
Varsity

Post by slamdunk »

Any word yet on who they hired? I know they had interviews on Wednesday and Thursday.

fanatic23
Freshman Team

Post by fanatic23 »

heard tyson phillips applied the guy knows the game but from what i hear not much to work with at portsmouth give him a chance and it might pay off

BigTime
JV Team

Post by BigTime »

fanatic23 wrote:heard tyson phillips applied the guy knows the game but from what i hear not much to work with at portsmouth give him a chance and it might pay off

If your saying Portsmouth doesn't have much to work with you don't know this team. They had no Seniors last year, they started 3 Frosh that are good athletes and got good game experience. Also, the addition of Hannah Foster at the point this year will make a big impact on this team. So, please don't make open ended statements about this young group of girls by saying there's not much to work with.

southernohiofan
JV Team

Post by southernohiofan »

i hear last night that bob boldman will be the next lady trojans coach. good luck

BigTime
JV Team

Post by BigTime »

Who?

TrojanHorse
Riding the Bench

Post by TrojanHorse »

Bob Boldman coached the Northwest HS girls for four or five seasons with moderate success. He has called a team meeting for Monday and plans to be at 3 or 4 shootouts and wants to host his own shootout in July.

We all wish him the best!

Slim Jim
Varsity

Post by Slim Jim »

I have to take your word on this hire but I have yet to see any official documentation that he was hired.I have looked at school board recaps/minutes and have found nothing...Dont remember any newspaper acticles either.When and where was the announcement made? He just dosen't seem to be the long term answer for a young rebuilding program.I think they needed to go younger and in house like the JV coach or something.Best of luck to him either way....

FalconX
JV Team

Post by FalconX »

Return to “Girls Basketball”