LADY VIKINGS

VIKING GRAD
Riding the Bench

LADY VIKINGS

Post by VIKING GRAD »

Anyone have any idea on how the lady Vikings will be this year. Hope they can keep there feet on the floor this year instead of there butts. At times they looked more like a circus act than a basketball team. Just kidding. Hope they do really good this year. I hear they have a really good freshman coming this year. Anyone know who she is and is she as good as we hear.
I heard she dominated the jr high games last year. I sure hope she can help the high school team out this year. I know we have some talent, with this new addition maybe they can turn it around this year.

Go ladies! Win them all. :aaaaa14

iam4osu
JV Team

Re: LADY VIKINGS

Post by iam4osu »

Yes, the lady vikings should do better this year. And yes the Hayes girl will be a great
assett to the team.
One thing the lady vikings have always lacked was a bench.
They have no one to sub in and out,
and the girls that start sometimes never get to come out of the game. Every team needs a strong bench.
We have that this year.
Everyone is excited, should be a great year for the lady vikings.

bluedevils87
Waterboy

Post by bluedevils87 »

I watched the lady vikings play friday night and it looks like they are gonna have a good team this year.The hayes girl will be good asset if u can keep her out of foul trouble and she can keep her temper down..The lady vikes have a few good players that moved up this year, the davis girl will be another good asset to the team shes a good ball handler and she has the best shot out of the whole team..I think hayes and davis will be the key players for the lady vikes!!!

lvhoops
Riding the Bench

Post by lvhoops »

The Lady Vikings did look good Friday against Fairland and Piketon. Yes, the Hayes and Davis girl will be a nice addition to the team this year, however the Lady Vikes return a good group of players from last year's team, 5 seniors and 2 juniors who have also been playing well and will contribute as well. Good luck Lady Vikes on a your upcoming season!
;-)

VIKING GRAD
Riding the Bench

Post by VIKING GRAD »

I didnt make it to the game at Fairland friday but I did hear the girls did a good job except for being alittle out of shape. I do find it hard to belive that a freshman has the best shot on the team. When she outscores Morris on a regular basis I will then post a thread agreeing with you. I have also never seen Hayes lose her temper in a game, sure you didnt mean Morris? Where is this coming from? As for the foul trouble. If you can keep Corn, Morris and Humphrey out of foul trouble we will be ok. We have some really talented freshman this year with Hayes and Davis being nice additions to the team. That being said neither one will probably be a starter at least for right now. Morris started her freshman year on a talented team as well. She earned that spot with her speed and ability. I dont think any of the freshman quite measure up to her at this point though.

Go lady Vikings.

iam4osu
JV Team

Post by iam4osu »

From my understanding the Hayes girl is the only freshman that made the Varsity squad.
I was told there would be three to four of the JV players that would be dressing.
If I had a player....freshman , sophomore, junior , senior, that was a better shot than the starting five I had on the court then I think I would have her on my Varsity squad. (STARTING)
GO LADY VIKES
Should be an exciting year

VIKING GRAD
Riding the Bench

Post by VIKING GRAD »

Good point I agree if she is that good of a shot she should skip JV and go straight to Varsity. If my memory serves me correctly, I was young at the time but I think Jennifer Owens was a freshman who started on the 89 team. Johnson may have also started as a freshman but I am not sure.
Enough about that. I see these freshman getting playing time when Corn, Morris and Humphrey get into foul trouble which usually happens to one or more of them each game. Then we will see just how good these younger ladies are. I suspect they lack Morris's speed or Corns for that matter and Humphrey's grit and force. I really think the freshman will come into their own next year after they get some HS experience under their belts. Both are good but need experience. In Jr. high, Davis lacked the agressivness to go after the ball on the floor. Morris lives to bump heads or anything else they want to throw at her when going after the ball.

lvhoops
Riding the Bench

Post by lvhoops »

I like how some people on here want to bash our girls on not being in shape. Lets see, only eight players on varsity to rotate in and out for 10 minute games x6. That almost equals two games in one night. If you know Coach Bryant at all you would know that she works them hard every practice including conditioning. Lady Vikes did not do to bad to win 5 out of 6 games though, did they. Our girls will be just fine!

iam4osu
JV Team

Post by iam4osu »

Agree 100%
they will do just fine........
Mrs. Bryant does run them and condition them quite well.....
But with our speed,
being in better shape than your opponent would only benefit the team.

As far as attitude on the court mentioned by bluedevils87......
I seen no attitude on the court from the Hayes girl. Not one time.
Only seen Corn get frustrated when she was getting winded.
Nothing from Morris either..............
Just wondering what scrimmage you were at.

PopCorn
Freshman Team

Post by PopCorn »

I was also at the game at Fairland. I seen just how out of shape they were. Until they ran out of steam they played like a house on fire with fast breaks, steals, etc. Then they were gasping for air. They are definately not in shape! Unless they can press full court for 32 minutes while outlasting the other team they are not in shape.

Go Lady Vikings

lvhoops
Riding the Bench

Post by lvhoops »

Popcorn, I sure wish you could be more positive in speaking about the Lady Viking basketball team . Those kids played hard on Friday and got compliments from the other coaches about their play. I am sorry you see those kids so out of shape. Once again, as stated earlier, the girls had eight players while Fairland and Piketon had around 12-14 players each. I think the rotation of the players went well and yes some of the girls got winded, but they can't be to out of shape it they won all of the games they played but one. Maybe you should be positive and let the Lady Vikes know how much they hustled on the defensive end. These girls have worked hard and will continue to work hard in practice. If the coaches and officials of the other teams can give positive comments about the girls, surely you could too. The season is still two weeks away and nobody said that they did not have things to correct, but I know they will be ready for the first game. Once again, Popcorn, you are entitled to your opinion, but I know the kids would be grateful if you could be more positive and less negative about their team! Go Lady Vikes! Good luck this season!

:12224

PopCorn
Freshman Team

Post by PopCorn »

Perhaps you are right. Maybe I am being to critical this early in the season. I only want the girls to do so good that maybe I am looking on the wrong side of the equation here. We did only have eight girls most of the time Friday evening so it is quite possible they are in better shape than I thought. Ms. Bryant also told me that they played the same as two games Friday so maybe I was speaking before I thought about it. Hats off to the Lady Vikings and the coach for a wonderful outing on Friday evening. I hope this is the start of a very successiful year!

But with our speed I would like to see more full and half court pressing.

Go lady Vikings.

bluedevils87
Waterboy

Post by bluedevils87 »

I was just stating my opinion nothing against the other girls...I was mistaken hayes for morris,but hayes does get into foul trouble..I agree with lvhoops if u know coach bryant she does work her girls VERY hard...To VikingGrad Im not saying morris isnt a good shooter im just stating my own opinion..

VIKING GRAD
Riding the Bench

Post by VIKING GRAD »

Bluedevil87, no problem. We have to have these freshman girls step up and I believe they will. As far as the shooters go, Corn is probably the best all around shot if she is standing still and open. On the move Morris is probably the best. One we are missing is Nance. She can also drop them from out there and her speed on defense is a definate asset. I also agree with popcorn that this team has the speed and quickness to be able to handle full and half court presses which can win tight games.
Skinner is also tough on defense and can run the fast break too. If Humphrey and Wall get their hands on the ball underneath they have very good backboard shots from the paint. We can win some games this year folks.
Hope Ms. Bryant understands we are dedicated fans behind these girls and we all think we can coach, which we can't. She is the one who sees these girls day in and day out. If she reads these threads which I think she does, please understand we are behind you 100%. We just want it so bad for these girls to suceed.
I have a question though and someone may have the answer. What happened to the Ross girl that played last year? She was tough under the boards.

iam4osu
JV Team

Post by iam4osu »

Kayla played her freshman year and had some health issues to deal with and
a severe torn ankle. I think she just lost interest in it after being out for so long. Kayla was a starter all through junior high and was an assett to our team.
We sure do miss her...

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Hopefully SV can win their second SOC title this year.

iam4osu
JV Team

Post by iam4osu »

Wouldnt that be something!!!!!
Anything is possible
Boys and the girls team should be tough this year.....

PopCorn
Freshman Team

Post by PopCorn »

I would like to imagine four soc titles this year. Don't forget baseball and softball. We have the ability to take all four.

Buckeye2
Waterboy

Post by Buckeye2 »

Iam4OSU wrote:From my understanding the Hayes girl is the only freshman that made the Varsity squad.
I was told there would be three to four of the JV players that would be dressing.
If I had a player....freshman , sophomore, junior , senior, that was a better shot than the starting five I had on the court then I think I would have her on my Varsity squad. (STARTING)
GO LADY VIKES
Should be an exciting year

Having a good shot is not all that matters in a basketball player. What kind of defense does she play? In my opinion if you can't play defense you don't play. A team needs five players on the floor that are going to play intense defense and work together to get good shots, not five good shooters. They need to be able to shoot, but defense wins games!

iam4osu
JV Team

Post by iam4osu »

I do agree
100 %

Return to “Girls Basketball”