Best Girls Teams of All- Time

dimedrop4
All State

Best Girls Teams of All- Time

Post by dimedrop4 »

With all the buzz about the Lady Oaks this year, it made me wonder what are some of the best girls teams to play in Southern Ohio throughout the years. I remember some very talented teams a few years back that came through South Webster, led by Brooke Hughes and company, and Oak Hill, who I believe were state runners up like they were last year.

So, with that said, what are the best teams anyone's saw play in our region over the years?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Best Girls Teams of All- Time

Post by danicalifornia »

Unioto in the late 80's(2 time state runner up, lost on 2 FT's with no time left in one of them)
Adena won State the 1st two years they had the tournament and also in 1994(when they didn't win the league)
Huntington was a State runnerup in 2003(when they didn't win the league either)

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

SW with Kara Cayton.

Tucker
Riding the Bench

Post by Tucker »

Ironton had a 3 yr run with some girls that could play the game. It was back in the late 70's early 80's. They had three regional appearances and a state tournament. They were as good if not the best girls team in my opinion to come out of southern Ohio period.I would put them against any team from around here past or present..Those teams consisted of Beth Rist,Janette Vinson,Laruen Triplett-Schweickart,Jana Riggs,Suzie Fitzpatrick,Nancy Jenkins-Sparks,Lisa Bryant....They could play...They had speed,quickness,shooting,could run the floor, press and play defense....Just my humble opinion tho...I'm sure others feel the same about their teams

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Logan 1990ish

Katie Smith one of if not the best women's player of all-time, Tez Craft...Umass and Melissa Cooper...5'11 crafty lefty PG

Gallia Academy about 4 years later were very good as well

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

Sheridan girls 2003-2004. State semi-finalist (lost to a West Brach team that was not nearly as talented). Led by Jessie Slack (2 yr starting guard for East Carolina team that made NCAA tourny, two year starter for D2 National Champion Northern Kentucky, 1st team All-American.), Amanda Krofft (2000 pt scorer in college), Stevie Large (4x Track and Field All-American in Hammer throw, discuss, and shot, 2009 National Champion and likely Olympic Qualifier in the Hammer), Kayla Waller (Ohio Dominican basketball), Darcy Williams (two years of college bball, 6'0 200 lbs and good athlete). This is without question the best team Sheridan has ever had and IMO was easily the most talented team in the final four that season.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

danicalifornia wrote:Unioto in the late 80's(2 time state runner up, lost on 2 FT's with no time left in one of them)

In 1989 Unioto was led by Natalie Hill and (can't remember her first name) McClelland. The same year they lost in the finals with no time on the clock, they had defeated Federal Hocking in the regional semi-finals by 2 points. Hill and McClelland each had 30 points. For Federal Hocking, Lori Williams (Miami) and Stacey Glass (Canisus) also each had 30 points. Other than the outcome, it was the best girls game I have ever seen. I think the Unioto coach at that time was a young lady named Cindy Driggs...

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

The 04-05 and 05-06 Ironton Lady Fighting Tigers.The 04-05 version was a State semi finalist and 05-06 Regional Finals.I also agree with the 02-03 South Webster team.A little more depth and they win it all.Probably should have anyway..These three teams were a pleasure to watch from a fans perspective as well.
Last edited by Black Panther on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Ironman92 wrote:Logan 1990ish

Katie Smith one of if not the best women's player of all-time, Tez Craft...Umass and Melissa Cooper...5'11 crafty lefty PG

Gallia Academy about 4 years later were very good as well

I think Melissa went to Ohio U but didn't finish. Hampshire was pretty good too that year.I'm sure she went to college but can't remember.

Katie's Senior year Logan was in the top ten in the USA poll.
The SEOAL had some good teams that year too.

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

The Wheelersburg Lady Pirates had some very talented teams in the mid 90's.The Eastern Lady Eagles made some long tournament runs back in the 80's and early 90's.

Matt52
JV Team

Post by Matt52 »

2006 CG 18 wins 5 loses and team should of been better

Championship
JV Team

Post by Championship »

Matt52 they didnt even win the OVC South Point did

slamdunk
Varsity

Post by slamdunk »

If you are looking for some programs that have been successful for long stretches, I think you have to mention the Eastern Brown Lady Warriors under Coach Richard Kiser. Coach Kiser is one of the best coaches in this area and he has had some great teams. I moved into this area in 2001 and they have been a dominant program in this region since then. What a great job Coach Kiser has done with several trips to Columbus for the Final Four and many trips to the Regionals. Eastern Brown has to be considered one of the most dominant programs in the southeast region in this decade.

Matt52
JV Team

Post by Matt52 »

Championship wrote:Matt52 they didnt even win the OVC South Point did

ohh is that why we have a 2006 girls basketball ovc trophy in are trophy case get ur facts right!
abd we had two 1,000 point scorers from that team Chealsea Markins and Samantha Hall

OVC1999
Waterboy

Post by OVC1999 »

Coal Grove & South Point TIED for a share of the OVC in 2006. But that Coal Grove team is NO WHERE near the best girl's team of all-time.

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

Remember the topic is best girls team of ALL TIME. Some that are mentioned weren't even best in the area for that year.

rabidfan
Waterboy

Post by rabidfan »

We have never had even a decent team up here. But watch out for the Lady Oaks NEXT year. I personally feel they will be a much more rounded group. I dont think they really play as a whole right now. Or not as well as they could, anyway. JMO

lady_oaks_fan3362
JV Team

Post by lady_oaks_fan3362 »

rabidfan wrote:We have never had even a decent team up here. But watch out for the Lady Oaks NEXT year. I personally feel they will be a much more rounded group. I dont think they really play as a whole right now. Or not as well as they could, anyway. JMO

I think we have a great team this year but they must remember team ball and the fact it doesn't matter how many minutes you play but how you play the minutes you are given.

dragonfan5
Waterboy

Post by dragonfan5 »

Fairland Girls 93-94 regional loss to Dover. 92-93 District finals loss to Lucasville Valley. They were also dominate when Coach Jack Harris and Coach Nathan Speed was the in charge during the early 2000's

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

Post by Mouth's Better Half »

I agree with Charlie Kitchen, of the girls teams I have seen play the '79, '80 Ironton Girls Team was as loaded as I have seen from this area. They had a great Coach too. They were physical and fast, they all could shoot and drive. My daughter was young on the '04,'05, and '06 Ironton Girls team. Match them up to play each other and the '79 group in MHO would win. They all loved basketball on that team. They were exciting to watch.

Return to “Girls Basketball”