Online seeding/voting - Southeast District 2015

90buckeye
Varsity

Online seeding/voting - Southeast District 2015

Post by 90buckeye »

Coaches,

District tournament managers will be sending out information soon regarding the new online seeding/voting system that the OHSAA's Southeast District Athletic Board has adopted and implemented. Instructions regarding how to create an account, submit your team's biographical information and how to cast your vote will be included in the information the managers send you. The information can also be found at this link: http://www.seodab.org/index.php/winter- ... basketball

If you need help creating an account, or submitting any of the requested information online via http://www.baumspage.com, feel free to contact me anytime. Terry Young terry@baumspage.com 740-517-0195

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Re: Online seeding/voting - Southeast District 2015

Post by ManitouDan »

online ? dang I bet that will be a huge cluster bomb

90buckeye
Varsity

Post by 90buckeye »

The district athletic board used the online seeding/voting system in the fall for cross country, volleyball and soccer and it was well received by those coaches.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

ManitouDan wrote:online ? dang I bet that will be a huge cluster bomb
Nope....very easy and if it's not fair, everyone will know who the shady coaches were

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Ironman92 wrote:
ManitouDan wrote:online ? dang I bet that will be a huge cluster bomb
Nope....very easy and if it's not fair, everyone will know who the shady coaches were
I agree....being able to see how everyone voted in a document makes it really clear

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

This will work just fine (Other Districts have used it for years) but it is just for convenience. You left the old meetings knowing how everybody voted (they had to do it with you looking at them) so if I want to "Screw" somebody I can do it from my easy chair, skip the meeting, and never have to feel any discomfort. :)

A coach's vote on seeding is influenced for these reasons: 1, to give their team the best chance to advance; 2, envy; 3, to punish another coach or school for a perceived wrong doing (Say a 75 to 6 score); or if you believe in Santa Claus to put the teams in the slots they deserve.

I'll believe otherwise when someone gives me an example of a number one seed saying, I don't want this (insert team here) is more deserving. I have gone to a bunch of these and heard about a bunch more and have never seen or heard of the above mentioned happening.

I have seen open horse trading (it's usually done before you enter the room) in the lower seeds to duck a terrible bus ride---Ironton Saint Joe to Miller for example, and I have seen coaches who just want it over---"Vote me 8th and not 7th so I play the 1."

The Wizard
Freshman Team

Post by The Wizard »

they could improve this by letting the coach pick the spot in the bracket they would like to go. If all we have done is make the vote online instead of in person then nothing is accomplished and the good ol boys system is still in place.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

The Wizard wrote:they could improve this by letting the coach pick the spot in the bracket they would like to go.
And what would determine the order in which coaches got to place themselves?

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

It's really a tempest in a teapot---there will be upsets but usually the best teams advance, the cream rises so to speak no matter where they are seeded. It probably matters the most if we are talking about winning a one game Sectional-----it's pretty rare for Cinderella to make it to a District final---to do that you have to beat someone.

There is no perfect system----I was seeded higher one year than a team I lost to and was on the staff of a team another year that passed up the bye and got the 2 seed to duck a team in the other District---you guessed it, we got beat in the Sectional.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

The good Ole boy phone calls will still be done before any voting so nothing changes. If a league has more teams than another the other team normally gets the shaft when voting for the top four teams. The league which has the most school will vote one of their teams 1 or 2 if going against a team that is out voted or are put where they want.

The Wizard
Freshman Team

Post by The Wizard »

Any procedure that you use where the seeds are not already placed on the bracket like in the past makes it harder for the good ol boys to ensure they get their way. If I am the one seed I determine the line I go on not a bunch of other coaches. If I am a lower seed then I can go on a line to avoid the top seed etc. Once you have some freedom the good ol boys way of doing things start to break down.

Have your online voting then have a meeting to put your name on a line in a blank bracket. That is the best you can do.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The Wizard wrote:Any procedure that you use where the seeds are not already placed on the bracket like in the past makes it harder for the good ol boys to ensure they get their way. If I am the one seed I determine the line I go on not a bunch of other coaches. If I am a lower seed then I can go on a line to avoid the top seed etc. Once you have some freedom the good ol boys way of doing things start to break down.

Have your online voting then have a meeting to put your name on a line in a blank bracket. That is the best you can do.
Yep

Return to “Girls Basketball”