SE Rankings

SEFan
JV Team

SE Rankings

Post by SEFan »

I am thinking about doing a SE rankings, kind of like the boys have. I am working on a formula that will work without killing my self every week. It is still going to take some time though so wanted to see how much interest there was before I got in too deep.

SCOH
Riding the Bench

Re: SE Rankings

Post by SCOH »

no formula got to get out and watch the teams, that is the problem with AP, Some writers work hard and try, but no votes in our area and some don't. that is why I get out and watch the teams, my philosophy is if you have same record as a team and they beat you head to head then they are above you, if you are undefeated, I look at league who you play out of conference and who the loses where too, but in the end its always they eyeball test. and come tourney time it doesn't mean a thing.

Players rankings are bogus cause its all about perception and how the kid played when you see them, so I don't rank the kids, just list kids that can play next level and I have things I look for. And I get out and watch them in High School and if they play exposure try to catch them during the summer. But Rankings individually don't mean a thing. If a college likes a kid, they like the kid for their reasons. JMO

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Let me know how I can help. I know the Highland County Press does a good job with the Southern Hills League and the Frontier Athletic Conference. Also,the Tri Valley Conference does an excellent job keeping the teams scores and records updated.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

The Purple hippo gets out and watches asany teams as he can. That's the only way to do one that has merit.
Good luck with this. I hope you are able to do it!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

have to be in the seats

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
SEFan
JV Team

Post by SEFan »

I just thought it would be fun/nice for the girls side to have rankings. Didn’t mean it was going to be perfect, just something semi reliable based on a college formula ranking system. But apparently that isn’t what the people want. Lol

SCOH
Riding the Bench

Post by SCOH »

I wasn't knocking you, but you do have to get out an see teams in the end. I have rankings of Top 5 on my twitter site and facebook page. I look at wins, who you beat, your league, if your record is tied with someone then did you play head to head? Common opponent? But another thing is the leagues so much, some coaches try to schedule a tough out of conference schedule some don't. So formulas are hard to do, Ports ND isn't #1 cause their conference pulls them behind Waterford, but their out of conference schedule is pretty good and they are still undefeated. So I say if you want to do your rankings do it, but if you don't go sit and watch all the teams and be able to talk about them then its just hard to do a True Rankings, hell people argue with mine and I have seen a lot of teams play..lol Good luck

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

SEFan wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:52 pm I just thought it would be fun/nice for the girls side to have rankings. Didn’t mean it was going to be perfect, just something semi reliable based on a college formula ranking system. But apparently that isn’t what the people want. Lol
Feel free to do one. I enjoy looking at them. I’m behind on the girl’s side. I say do one and see how it goes.

Heaven forbid someone try to add something to a dead forum

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Give it try. It would be interesting.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Go for it. Hope you are thick skinned. This is much needed on the girls side.

SEFan
JV Team

Post by SEFan »

Ok. I’ll get it done early next week. Those who want to look at this as a “fun rankings” and not the ESPN top 25 should enjoy it. I will work on tweaking the formula til we get it right!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Good Luck SEFan !!! ...

SEFan
JV Team

Post by SEFan »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:12 pm Good Luck SEFan !!! ...

Thanks! Won’t compare to yours but the girls need something on their side!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Never "don't" do something that you feel IS productive because you don't think it will compare to what someone else does ! DO IT! you may find that it is exactly what you wanted it to be - a means to draw interest to the site, a conversation starter ... if others don't agree ? so be it ! let them rank them BUT give supporting proof to back up their rankings ... it's all good ! do it, get it started ... if it means someone out there gets out and watches more girls hoops, sees lots of teams - perfect ! ... the Elite 8 on the boys side was actually started by 93bulldog - he ranked the top 8 only ... I would join in each week with an "alternative" view - sometimes we matched , sometimes we we didn't ! we agreed to disagree but we always backed up our rankings with information, knowledge about the teams/players ... one thing led to another and jumped in head first - started following every team in Southeastern Ohio, figured out real fast that if I was going to have any credibility in ranking the teams I HAD TO go see them play ... that's where I am and have been for almost 20 years ... watching 50-60 boys varsity games per season, with matching numbers for JV & freshmen teams .. throw in the 3 Weeks of the Convo, the Beasts of the Southeast tourney of 5 games in one day, the Portsmouth around Christmas, the Pike County Holiday tournament ... it ends up about 2 and 1/2 scorebooks full of games/napkin stats ... I love doing it ! I wouldn't do it any other way ... the Elite 8 gets a little over 5000 hits per week ... but more importantly it keeps fans involved, gives them a forum to post what they see, support the teams, players and coaches ... best of luck !

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Well said

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

What is happening with this????

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

I have an idea:

How about rank them after the State Tournament. :D ;)

Return to “Girls Basketball”