Vinton County/Washington C.H.

godsgeneral
Freshman Team

Re: Vinton County/Washington C.H.

Post by godsgeneral »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:28 pm
MTRay23 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:27 pm Just an observation, but it doesn't seem like VC runs any kind of offensive sets. It looked like they either just jack up 3's or try to go 1-on-1 without setting any type of screens or anything, and they don't follow their shots. They just let the shot go then run back down the floor. WCH killed them on the boards and beat them to death running the floor.
Exactly, this is what I was referring to by saying that Unioto exposed them. They simply played a schedule where you rolled out the ball and won because you were the best in a bad league. You cannot control your league, but they played 10 non-league games against 9 bad teams, 8 of which is smaller.
Barlow Bandit, while you go out of your way to say, "I told you so," the teenage girls on the Vinton County basketball team, and their fans, are celebrating their efforts and accomplishments this season. The girls worked hard during the summer, and all season long to win 21 games, win the TVC and Section, regardless of who they had to play to get there. No one is denying that Unioto and Washington CH are excellent teams, and maybe VC isn't the same caliber as the teams currently advancing in the DII tournments, but your continued efforts to undermine the program seem a little pretentious and unnecessary.

Congratulations to VC, Unioto and Miami Trace on a great season, and best wishes to Washington CH & Sheridan as they continue their tournament run.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

godsgeneral wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:53 am
MTRay23 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:27 pm Just an observation, but it doesn't seem like VC runs any kind of offensive sets. It looked like they either just jack up 3's or try to go 1-on-1 without setting any type of screens or anything, and they don't follow their shots. They just let the shot go then run back down the floor. WCH killed them on the boards and beat them to death running the floor.
Exactly, this is what I was referring to by saying that Unioto exposed them. They simply played a schedule where you rolled out the ball and won because you were the best in a bad league. You cannot control your league, but they played 10 non-league games against 9 bad teams, 8 of which is smaller.
Barlow Bandit, while you go out of your way to say, "I told you so," the teenage girls on the Vinton County basketball team, and their fans, are celebrating their efforts and accomplishments this season. The girls worked hard during the summer, and all season long to win 21 games, win the TVC and Section, regardless of who they had to play to get there. No one is denying that Unioto and Washington CH are excellent teams, and maybe VC isn't the same caliber as the teams currently advancing in the DII tournments, but your continued efforts to undermine the program seem a little pretentious and unnecessary.

Congratulations to VC, Unioto and Miami Trace on a great season, and best wishes to Washington CH & Sheridan as they continue their tournament run.
First off, I clearly stated (in this post and past post), congrats on a nice season. And this has nothing to do with the kids, the kids can only play the games the adults give them. But if you believe you are going to have a good season, you need to schedule accordingly. Coach Combs does a great job of this, the boy's play teams that prepare them for post season success (sometimes you win them, sometimes you don't), however you have to know where your team stands. And you can not judge that when you play a constant stream of inferior competition, night in, night out.

Amock0905
Freshman Team

Post by Amock0905 »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:56 am
godsgeneral wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:53 am

First off, I clearly stated (in this post and past post), congrats on a nice season. And this has nothing to do with the kids, the kids can only play the games the adults give them. But if you believe you are going to have a good season, you need to schedule accordingly. Coach Combs does a great job of this, the boy's play teams that prepare them for post season success (sometimes you win them, sometimes you don't), however you have to know where your team stands. And you can not judge that when you play a constant stream of inferior competition, night in, night out.
I completely agree with this even being a vc fan I would rather have seen them have 6 losses to better teams than 21 wins against sub par teams I think coach Bentley will take that into consideration and schedule tougher games! Vc has some potential on the jv team. Look for Lydia Nichols to step up next year she was a big reason for the jv success and played some valuable minutes this year on varsity playing defense she’s another one of them girls that can play defense very well Vinton County has nothing to worry about next year

The 24 year drought is over! 🏈🏆
hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

The Lady Vikings lost this game in the first quarter. They simply missed to many early buckets. I believe they 0-9 to start the game. In the meantime, WCH did what they do. When you think about it, the first quarter score was 19-6. The problem wasn't that WCH scored 19, it is a little much for a defensive minded team, but it was only that Lady Vikings scored 6. If they were able to convert on some of those early buckets, now the score may be 19-14 or 19-16 and then it is a totally different ballgame. I haven't checked the stats yet, but I can't imagine that the Lady Vikings shot better than 20% in the first half.

Coming out in the second half, the Vikings got an early three, and then a turnover, just to turn the ball back over, those two possessions could have been huge as the Lady Vikings were trying to claw their way back into it. However, the Lady Vikings won the second half, but the early deficit was too much.

As far as scheduling, the Lady Vikings did not have any non-conference cupcakes on the schedule. Westfall, Paint Valley, and Unioto out of the SVC. Philo, South Webster, Johnathan Alder, Marietta, and Wheelersburg. The Wheelersburg game was never played due to the weather. Granted, inside our conference there were teams that have had better seasons, but the Lady Vikings cannot do anything about that, they have to be scheduled. Furthermore, there is a fine line between scheduling to be competitive and scheduling and getting beat by better opponents for the sake of scheduling up. If you think 6 losses are ok, you are wrong. Because going into the draw, now you become a lower seed, and lose the advantage of having a higher seed in the tournament. Again, there is a fine line there, and yes, Coach Combs has done a great job of scheduling.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

#3 seed Sheridan beat two #2 seeds(Warren by 11, Washington by 13) and a #1 seed(Miami Trace by 13), all by about the same margins. The other #1 seed, Vinton Co, faced only one of those 4 teams, Miami Trace, and lost by 16. In retrospect it is clear who the best team of all 5 is. Due to way too much valuation given to number of losses, the seedings were unfair to Warren which was deprived of a deserved opportunity to be matched up with a comparable opponent, Miami Trace or Washington, at the district level instead of Vinton Co. Sheridan should have had a #1 or #2 seed, and Vinton Co. the #3 and got to play Warren or Sheridan in the sectional.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:25 am The Lady Vikings lost this game in the first quarter. They simply missed to many early buckets. I believe they 0-9 to start the game. In the meantime, WCH did what they do. When you think about it, the first quarter score was 19-6. The problem wasn't that WCH scored 19, it is a little much for a defensive minded team, but it was only that Lady Vikings scored 6. If they were able to convert on some of those early buckets, now the score may be 19-14 or 19-16 and then it is a totally different ballgame. I haven't checked the stats yet, but I can't imagine that the Lady Vikings shot better than 20% in the first half.

Coming out in the second half, the Vikings got an early three, and then a turnover, just to turn the ball back over, those two possessions could have been huge as the Lady Vikings were trying to claw their way back into it. However, the Lady Vikings won the second half, but the early deficit was too much.

As far as scheduling, the Lady Vikings did not have any non-conference cupcakes on the schedule. Westfall, Paint Valley, and Unioto out of the SVC. Philo, South Webster, Johnathan Alder, Marietta, and Wheelersburg. The Wheelersburg game was never played due to the weather. Granted, inside our conference there were teams that have had better seasons, but the Lady Vikings cannot do anything about that, they have to be scheduled. Furthermore, there is a fine line between scheduling to be competitive and scheduling and getting beat by better opponents for the sake of scheduling up. If you think 6 losses are ok, you are wrong. Because going into the draw, now you become a lower seed, and lose the advantage of having a higher seed in the tournament. Again, there is a fine line there, and yes, Coach Combs has done a great job of scheduling.
There are several cupcakes there and a lot of playing down in Division when you are playing down in Division most of the time in the TVC. The problem here is we had too many coaches voting just record and not record, plus SOS. If we had the latter, which is what we need to do to have more tournament success as a district against other districts, Sheridan should've been the 1, Warren the 2 and VC the 3.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

I mean everyone played a cupcake schedule compared to Sheridan. Its Southern Ohio.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I just love this concept of “Strength of Schedule.” Who is to oversee this concept, administrate it, verify it, and then have it implemented among the coaches. Are we to go to committees much like the NCAA? That is freaking ridiculous.

Let’s call this what it is...Warren fans whining with their draw results. In fact, a Warren fan had the audacity to say this to our coach after Vinton County’s sectional win.

Your complaint is with the SEODAB. Every other sectional goes to a super-sectional. I would start there, instead of belly-aching on Preps.

#JustSayin

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

A super-sectional does no good for this problem of seeding selection voters not being fully objective. A super-sectional is valuable when an area has more strength than others, but requires more travel. Of course a team can avoid longer travel distances in a super-sectional, if they want, by choosing their opponent, if it is the kind of super-sectional that allows each team to choose their line in the bracket. When you get to choose your line, seeding injustices can be partially corrected. Maybe if they don't want to go super, they can just change it to choose the line within each the Adena and Logan brackets, and if that were the case, either Warren or Sheridan would have chosen to play Vinton rather than each other. If they did it this way they would need to do it in a combined meeting and alternate the Adena and Logan picks on the total district bracket

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:49 am I just love this concept of “Strength of Schedule.” Who is to oversee this concept, administrate it, verify it, and then have it implemented among the coaches. Are we to go to committees much like the NCAA? That is freaking ridiculous.

Let’s call this what it is...Warren fans whining with their draw results. In fact, a Warren fan had the audacity to say this to our coach after Vinton County’s sectional win.

Your complaint is with the SEODAB. Every other sectional goes to a super-sectional. I would start there, instead of belly-aching on Preps.

#JustSayin
We can agree with the open draw. Long overdue.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

mhs95_06 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:50 pm #3 seed Sheridan beat two #2 seeds(Warren by 11, Washington by 13) and a #1 seed(Miami Trace by 13), all by about the same margins. The other #1 seed, Vinton Co, faced only one of those 4 teams, Miami Trace, and lost by 16. In retrospect it is clear who the best team of all 5 is. Due to way too much valuation given to number of losses, the seedings were unfair to Warren which was deprived of a deserved opportunity to be matched up with a comparable opponent, Miami Trace or Washington, at the district level instead of Vinton Co. Sheridan should have had a #1 or #2 seed, and Vinton Co. the #3 and got to play Warren or Sheridan in the sectional.
Vinton, Warren and Sheridan all tied for #1 seed. The prescribed tie breakers had Vinton, Warren and then Sheridan in that order.

Return to “Girls Basketball”