Attendance at the State Tournment Day 1

1gcfan
Riding the Bench

Attendance at the State Tournment Day 1

Post by 1gcfan »

Went yesterday and it looked like the numbers were down again. Most of the reasons I've heard has to do with people being turned off by the super teams (who by the way usually bring very few fans). Best attendance award goes to Waynesville and Chippewa who brought a nice crowds and the game itself was a reminder of the games in the good old days. It was good, bad, and ugly at times but very entertaining. It won't much as much fun watching the undefeated Spartans play a team with seven D1 recruits on Saturday. Tell me how such a team should be allowed in as a D3 school! In D2 Dayton Carroll and Sheridan had nice crowds.

It appears to me that the casual fan and most of the high school coaches are not bothering to attend.

Prime Time
All State

Re: Attendance at the State Tournment Day 1

Post by Prime Time »

Do people believe theres a correlation here of travel teams starting at young ages and then one or two schools recruits from these teams and most of those players attend one school in there area To some degree I beleive this is the case Thus forming super teams in every area and then even teams with Div 1 or college level players stacked on these teams. Theres has to be more done to equalize and penalize people wanting to move around and make the field of playing uneven for 90 percent of teams. OHSAA needs to revisit this problem. Look at attendence in the last 3-5 years and you see these stacked teams dominating and people is getting tired of it. Unless your the ones on these stacked teams.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

There is a little bit of Justice I guess as Ottoville and Minster will play for the D4 championship tomorrow. Both have 0 CB #s. It's a replay of last year's final.

91raider97bobcat
JV Team

Post by 91raider97bobcat »

According to the box scores, official attendance for Session 1 was just over 4,800; and for Session 2 was just over 4,900

1gcfan
Riding the Bench

Post by 1gcfan »

Prime Time
I agree. OHSAA needs to find a way to level the playing field. What good does competitive balance do if you are already Div 1.

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

Fridays attendance was 5198 for Division IV and 5580 for Division I.
Look for the Girls Basketball Tournament to in St Johns Arena next year.
The Wrestling and Girls Basketball State Tournaments are the same weekend the next couple years.
Wrestling will most likely be at The Shot and Girls Basketball at St Johns Arena.

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

Attendance posted for the finals were Division III- 3200, Division II- not posted, Division IV 3600, Division I 2700. Has to be one of the smallest attended State Tournament in a long time. I remember back in the 90's I would go to the Girls State Tournament and attendance would have 7000-9000 for the Semi Finals and 5000-7000 for the finals. Lots of reason for attendance drop. Definitely look for the State Tournament to be at St Johns Arena in 2020. Wrestling will be at Shot because they are getting 9000-11000 per session.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Overall attendance for all 12 games was 36,298 , an average of 3,025 per game. A couple of the posts above hit it on the head. The average casual fans have stopped coming in droves (both boys & girls) over the years with these super team setups being commonplace. The DI, 2 and 3 Champs had the worst attendance of all the teams over the weekend so what does that tell you ?

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"

Return to “Girls Basketball”