Wheelersburg vs. South Webster 9/4/14

Bigbadwolf
Freshman Team

Re: Wheelersburg vs. South Webster 9/4/14

Post by Bigbadwolf »

No JV game Jeepo. Just to give an update, the kickoff time has been changed to 7pm. If anything else changes, I'll be sure to let everyone know. Tonight will be quite a game! Too close to pick a winner, I'm pulling for SWHS.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Burg's exchange student offers even more depth to a team that will play 18 deep on a regular basis.

FlatBack4REAL
Riding the Bench

Post by FlatBack4REAL »

That depth may be a problem for us since we only have a total of 15 on our roster. Fresh legs make a difference around the 60-70 min mark. Good luck to both teams. Should be a great night of soccer.

Don KeyPunch
Riding the Bench

Post by Don KeyPunch »

sounds to me like no one is giving the jeeps a prayer in this one... thats why they play the game! I wish the jeeps good luck from the SOC 1 and hope they can deliver payback to the burg for running up the score on my boys last week.

Jeeps 2
Burg 1

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Don KeyPunch wrote:sounds to me like no one is giving the jeeps a prayer in this one... thats why they play the game! I wish the jeeps good luck from the SOC 1 and hope they can deliver payback to the burg for running up the score on my boys last week.

Jeeps 2
Burg 1
I am pretty sure 7 different players scored in that game and 3 of the scorers were not starters. It is hard to tell kids who are fighting for more playing time to take it easy when they get a chance to score.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Pirates 2
Jeeps 1

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Oh the missed opportunities for the Jeeps. Should make for a fun rematch in SW. Momentum moved back and forth. Fun to watch.

captain tuttle
Riding the Bench

Post by captain tuttle »

In the defense of an earlier comment about the SOC 1. The Jeeps out of league schedule includes Burg, Minford, Waverly, Athens, Jackson, Zane Trace, and Alexander. All of those teams are very good. Within the league, they face the Romanello boy from Valley and he is arguably one of the best, if not the best scorer in southern Ohio. New Boston is a very scrapy bunch and Clay will be very tough with Mark Trapp rebuilding that team.
I totally agree with RxBurgFan, the game tonight was fun to watch. Very competitive on both sides.

SHAQ25
Waterboy

Post by SHAQ25 »

This was two good teams going back and forth all night. Some will say is was physical at times but I have seen both teams be much more chippy. The game was very respectable with good hard play from both sides and calls were evenly distributed between the teams. At the end of the night , both clubs should be proud of their teams effort and it was a good night of soccer.

I also agree with the comment on websters schedule....was looking it over yesterday and they indeed play a solid schedule and that shows itself with each game they play as well as burg. That's why these two programs are consistently good and have strong programs ...strength of schedule definitely helps when tournament time comes. I personally would like to see some of the other schools take on tougher schedules so we could put more soc teams deeper in the tournament each year and not just one or two. We could represent better if held ourselves to a higher level of competition to improve our whole conference.

GaryGroundhawg
Riding the Bench

Post by GaryGroundhawg »

Strength of schedule is becoming a laugher for me boys, so let's take the "tournament time" after SOC teams have beaten each other, and maybe an Adams county team???? What happens next? Northwest makes a run in like 1993?94? Because we play each other doesn't mean its a strong schedule. So, Valley has one kid the best scorer in scioto county no wait southern ohio. Don key can keep whining, get better. Clay is a upgrade of Eastern Pike, yep had to play them twice years past. All Webster fans like SHAQ25 see is what they want to see. All Excuses, good game and at the end of the day you came up short. Don't take away from the effort the kids put out on the field.

SHAQ25
Waterboy

Post by SHAQ25 »

Funny thing is I am a burg fan and from burg...look at websters schedule and tell me it's not solid. They could win soc 1 without it being that solid but choose to schedule harder teams and I applaud them for it. Not taking anything away from burg at all ..as I said I am from burg and a burg supporter. Webster can play with the big boys because they schedule harder teams on their non conference games. same thing with burg....that's why you usually see both of those teams make deep tournament runs and one is usually in regionals every year! hard to ignore....

SHAQ25
Waterboy

Post by SHAQ25 »

I was leaning more towards more soc teams scheduling like Webster and burg on non conference games scheduling with Athens, Jackson, south point, Alexander, Zane trace, and so on...not local teams, to see some solid teams they don't see locally. Not sure how u arrived at your thought process on last post...

FlatBack4REAL
Riding the Bench

Post by FlatBack4REAL »

RxBurgFan wrote:Oh the missed opportunities for the Jeeps. Should make for a fun rematch in SW. Momentum moved back and forth. Fun to watch.
Tell me about it! lol Such a great game to watch. Jeeps had chances but couldn't find the net and the Pirates capitalized. Both keepers for Burg had outstanding games as well. Best SOC play I've seen all year. And yes it will be a very very fun rematch I'm sure.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I was down close to the field a couple of times and both teams showed no respect for the opposing team or officials. Officiating is very hard to get 100% of the time and there will be calls missed. They don't have every angle to look at a play. One time a player from Webster kept saying "are you serious?" Several times on a call. I'd booked him in a heart beat. But that's on the official. The game was fantastic. Webster is a threat to win their region. Burg was lucky to have won this time around.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

wobycat wrote:I was down close to the field a couple of times and both teams showed no respect for the opposing team or officials. Officiating is very hard to get 100% of the time and there will be calls missed. They don't have every angle to look at a play. One time a player from Webster kept saying "are you serious?" Several times on a call. I'd booked him in a heart beat. But that's on the official. The game was fantastic. Webster is a threat to win their region. Burg was lucky to have won this time around.
Winning the regional is a tall order and very rarely done by anyone our area! At this point in the season, Burg, SW and Zane Trace are probably among the favorites to win the district, but going beyond that is extremely tough. Valley pulled it off in 1998 and Unioto in 2004, but I think they are the only teams remotely close to us to win a region. Last year Burg made it to the regional semifinal, but fell short to Berlin Hiland 2-1. Soccer in this area of the state is still far behind the Worthington Christian, Cincinnati Summit Country Day, Cuyahoga Falls CVCA and other historical powerhouse teams in DIII in the state. I am not sure we will ever be able to compete with the higher level of soccer until there are more opportunities for kids to play club soccer in this area. We may continue to sneak a team into the final 4 once or twice a generation, but that is about it. I would love for someone to prove me wrong!!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

You are right. I meant district. I agree would love to see a region won by an SOC team

jazzfingers888
JV Team

Post by jazzfingers888 »

Agreed wo-bi-cat. Webster's next great chance will be in 2 years.

saveTHEnight
Freshman Team

Post by saveTHEnight »

If I learned two things from the game last night it would be this:

1) Stats for this one dont tell the whole story... Wheelersburg may have controlled the ball better but SW had them under heat quite a bit more... So i used the stats i made for a gloried piece of bathroom tissue paper and thats the be all end all tell all c'mon yall.

2) Burg needs to pay the light bill. They have other companies to get better rates through AEP, i dont understand why the lights shut off as soon as the clock goes to 0's... Im pretty sure greys anatomy doesnt start for a few more weeks and dancing with the stars is going to be on Monday nights so what is the hurry to lock it up. At least no SW players sprained ankles on the way to the buses as a few had shoes on wrong feet with having to dress in the pitch dark. Bring lanterns and kerosene to Ed Millers house next time boys or drop a couple Lincolns in the coffee can.

Other than that this game was complete crap all around. Hopefully the rematch will be better than this wussy fest. If I see kids throwing their hands up in the air at calls anymore than what went on last night then I'd think i was watching the NBA. KIDS... get a little tougher and let the jokers in yellow blow the thing in their mouth when they want. Even though 76% (i keep stats on this because I know the game like a squirrel knows a nut) of the calls these clowns make are completely wrong you have to play through it... Just get tougher, mentally and physically. other than that the refs did a standup job, wont see much better in Appalachia.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I agree that it was a well officiated game. There were some questionable calls both way, but aren't there always!?!

This win moved Coach Boll into a tie at #5 in all time wins in the state of Ohio with 391 wins.

Redcard
Freshman Team

Post by Redcard »

If anyone actually liked coach boll, that would be admirable.

Return to “Soccer”