Unioto @ Chillicothe 9/4 (Boys)

Bucknuts
JV Team

Unioto @ Chillicothe 9/4 (Boys)

Post by Bucknuts »

Unioto 0
Chillicothe 4

First goal was a beautiful strike by Tony Skowronek who trapped the ball and turned on it from above the arc....GK dove and got his fingertips on it.

Big goal came when Gregg Van Volkinburg headed in a Drew Basil throw-in with 4.8 sec. to go in the first half to give the two goal lead at half.

Basil PK on third goal. Corner kick curved in without a touch on last goal.

On a side note:

First-team All-District Forward Tony Skowronek left the game and headed for the ER after an apparent punch to the mouth by a Unioto player in the second half. Neither official saw the play and thus no cards were awarded.

Skowronek's 4 front lower teeth were knocked out of place and one of the wires from his braces punctured his lower lip and was protruding from the skin. He took some stitches and there is a lot of swelling. He would have probably lost all 4 of his lower front teeth if not for his braces, according to the oral surgeon. He will not be able to bite down on any solid food with his front teeth for the next 6 weeks. He may undergo root canals down the road as a result of the incident. The doctors were able to successfully straighten his teeth.

He is highly questionable for Saturday's game against Warren.

It was a very well-played game by both sides except for this incident. The rest of the Unioto team and staff was apologetic for the one player's actions and Chillicothe did not retaliate.

Im my opinion, this player should not be allowed back on the soccer field. We will have to wait and see how the Unioto staff and the Athletic Department handles the situation.

soccerfix
Varsity

Re: Unioto @ Chillicothe 9/4 (Boys)

Post by soccerfix »

NOT ONLY IS TONY SKOWRONEK ONE IF NOT THE BEST PLAYER PLAYER IN THE AREA HE HAS TO BE ONE OF THE CLASSIEST KIDS. I'VE COACHED AGAINST AND MY KID HAS PLAYED AGAINST HIM AND I'VE ALWAYS ADMIRED HOW HE CARRIES HIMSELF.
THIS INCIDENT MAKES ME SICK. IF INTENTIONAL I ONLY HOPE UNIOTO TAKES CARE
OF IT.

brutally honest
Varsity

Post by brutally honest »

LOL. I'm not even Chillicothe slanted and I think calling that incident intentional is an understatement. I've been a part of a few soccer fights but I've never seen anyone get sucker punched like he did.

Bucknuts
JV Team

Post by Bucknuts »

Skowronek will definitely be out for the Warren game. Got fitted for a mask but tried to jog a little today and it was pretty painful for him. Advised not to play with any pain killers by the docs so he would be able to tell if his stiches broke, teeth moved, etc...big loss for Chillicothe.

Bucknuts
JV Team

Post by Bucknuts »

Unioto AD relayed to the Chillicothe AD that the boy who threw the punch will be out 3 games.

Skowronek could be out longer than him...

Unioto Rocks
Freshman Team

Post by Unioto Rocks »

Only 3 games!! That is ridiculous! What an embarrassment for Unioto!!

Heard tonight there could be some legal action against this young man for hitting Tony. I don't know if this could happen, but from the extensive damage that was sustained to Tony's mouth, the "hitter" should at least have to pay Tony's medical bills especially since it was witnessed by so many spectators, coaches, and players.

Best wishes to Tony on a speedy recovery!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Last edited by danicalifornia on Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Who was the player that threw the punch? Do we really need to hide his identity? Maybe after his 3 game sentence we can watch him a little closer.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Last edited by danicalifornia on Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

MISTAKE? From what I read it was malicious. A sucker punch to the stomach is one thing... when your 16 years old your teeth won't grow back! Tony is such a great kid. I'd like to volunteer for the jury.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Last edited by danicalifornia on Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bucknuts
JV Team

Post by Bucknuts »

I agree with Dani.............As much as the incident bothers me there is no need to identify a youth in the forum. The town and our soccer community is small, I am sure word will get around fast enough. The kid made a big mistake, no doubt. I am confident he will pay for it. That's the last I will say on the subject as well.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Dani I have admired your knowledge of soccer in all your posts. Once again you show class your decision. I'll let it rest.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

I think if I was this young man's coach, I would have reservations about letting him play on my team for the rest of the season...
I hope you get better real soon Tony!

jockstraps
Waterboy

Post by jockstraps »

You are all correct. THe Unioto players, fans and others who have heard about this ridiculous incident are embarassed and furious. The player who hit Tony is 18 years old and not a juvenile any more. We have heard charges are being filed and those of us at UHS certainly hope so.

THe other players and the coach no longer wish for this player to be part of the team, yet the AD said "his arrest was punishment enough". And you are right, Tony will probably be out longer than him. THe rest of the team does not want him to come back, but what can you do? ANother total embarassment for Unioto!

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Through the rumor mill the player who got suspended for the punch had already been suspended this season for something that had been carried over from last school year.

Return to “Soccer”