Southeast District Honors

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Re: Southeast District Honors

Post by Tigereyez »

pcohio wrote:Sorry to those folks!
On several occasions, I asked for specific details on what certain people were complaining about...I never really got a clear answer and all I said is I haven't had any issues with Murphy! Which I haven't until now...I am close enough to the program to hear the rumblings, but I have NEVER bashed certain parents or players and I don't appreciate your accusations! If you have a problem, what is it??

Murphy is no exception to negative criticism towards coaches and like vball said, I am sure the next coach will also receive his fair share of complaining! It is the main reason coaches don't stay around too long...Aside from Boll at Burg, does any current SOC coach have more than 3-4 years of tenure?

I stand by my comment that Murphy was great for Waverly soccer and I think you could argue that Waverly soccer would not be where it is now without him! Am I upset about the Individual Award? Yes, but I guess Murphy has his reasons for choosing certain players and he doesn't feel it is his duty to make these reasons public. I would be happy if he discussed his reasons in private with the player so the player could improve on his perceived shortcomings!

How about the phrase bad apples on the team. Players are me players and not we players.

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Re: Southeast District All-Star Game Nov 2nd

Post by Tigereyez »

soccerfix wrote:How could Evan Price be left off the all district team? There has to be a mistake or some rotten politics. Drrabbit, just who plays in the game? I know only seniors, but the rosters you provided has to consist of 1st, 2nd and possibly honorable mention players.

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Re: Southeast District All-Star Game Nov 2nd

Post by Tigereyez »

Championship wrote:ok question, how does jackson, warren and ironton st joe get two players in this game when minford is in regional semi's and only gets one representative, granted if they make it far enough he wont be playing in this game anyways but still that does seem to make sense to me?

i'm by no means doubtin that these kids dont deserve it dont get me wrong im just curious cause i know that minford has 12 seniors, therefore i would think they would have more than 1 representative.

but congrats to all these kids on a great season and great careers and good luck in the future.

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigereyez »

RxBurgFan wrote:well it looks as if you need to be a "scorer" to earn first team honors. with only a few exceptions that is the case. congrats to those with the first team selections, but you would think defense would get more consideration. i guess they feel they can score more than the defense gives up. maybe the state tourney games will be scores of 14 to 13 shootouts. should be fun to watch.

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigereyez »

soccerfix wrote:Can't figure out Waverly's all districts selections. I'm sure one school board member is upset once again. It appears Murphy took care of his captains but I can't understand leaving Kennedy off.

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigereyez »

pcohio wrote:Hey soccerfix!
I don't understand Waverly's selections either!

Are your boys going to play club soccer in the spring?

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigereyez »

pcohio wrote:The "You have to score goals" comment doesn't work in Waverly's case...
Kennedy Roseberry was second on the team in goals with 19 (breaking Luke Purpero's Waverly Freshman Record of 16) and didn't even get Honorable Mention????

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

oh the joy of year-end awards. "fairness" is the alpha and omega of desires. just remember it doesn't exist. to quote the great dr friedman from the show mash, "sometimes you just need to take your pants down and slide on the ice".

BeAWarrior
Riding the Bench

Post by BeAWarrior »

Congratulations to AJ Keeton as Clay's lone spot.

MarkWilliamson
Freshman Team

Post by MarkWilliamson »

My original negative posts were from the position of parent and I am embarrassed to say I let the whole "Individual Award" thing get the best of me...

I understand that Team Accomplishments are more important than any Individual Award and I am proud of the Tiger team and all they accomplished this season!

PC - nothing to be embarrassed about. IMO, it is hard to believe that Kennedy did not get H.M. Not knowing the team I really can't comment but I do think that you are deserving of an explanation.

Hang in there - I know there are some big things ahead for him !!!

Tigersports
Waterboy

Post by Tigersports »

How many of these kids would trade in these awards to be playing at Crew Stadium this weekend for a state title? thats right people all of them, this is not golf it is a TEAM sport. I have no insight on how Coach Murphy picks his Award winners, but if you put someone else on you must take someone off and looking at Waverly's the kids on there are deserving so do not get on here and say someone should feel bad about accepting an award they had no hand in being picked for. I trust Murphy in the fact he saw the kids in practice and games he knows who worked hard all year. These awards are for a total body of work. Pc Kennedy probably deserves a private explanation on what kept him from being picked and i am sure if asked in private Coach Murphy would give him that. I also feel not much love has been given to Nick Moore. Landon Boyer played well this season but not sure if he was ever at 100% after the injury . Remember as pcohio has said on here dozens of times WE not ME!!!!!!!!! As for a fresh start for Waverly Soccer in '09 good luck to whoever takes that job for so many people to complain over a coach winning 4 conference titles in 10 years with a program still in its infancy will be some high expectations.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Fleetwood Mac said it best "players only love you when they're playing."

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigereyez »

How about the players Halterman and Saunders? Some play soccer only and have dedicated their lives and body for the team. They have played year round and have since its inception. Must only matter what you do one season at a time. This is not the first time. It is just how it is and I know that. I have heard about this since Murphy's inception. What about the kid who needs help with scholarships and hoping to play in college with just a little help. Maybe you need help when you are an upper classman and colleges are looking at you. The awards may help in this process. Some parents and players need this help. Some parents and players do not need this help and will still play soccer in college with scholarships. What about the players who need our help? So we just leave them out in the cold.

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigereyez »

What about Brandon Brown who missed cross country meets for the soccer team and coach? Where did it get him? He is a senior and deserves recognition. What about Cody DeWitt? Does he not deserve a little love too? A lot of people only post on this site for their kid and not the other kids. As parents we need to help every kid, not just ours.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

We could probably make a case for all 11 starters and a few subs getting postseason awards, but unfortunately, there are only so few spots to fill!
The ones that did receive All-District deserved the recoginition, so congratulations to those guys (and Ari)!

As far as Murphy communicating his reasons to the players, I talked to one of the players that received All-District and he found out about it when he read it in the News Watchman! So if he doesn't tell the ones that DID make it, I doubt he would ever talk to the ones that DIDN'T!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

There was no communication with the players. That is just one of the many complaints. Why would you not tell a player they were selected All-District?

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

Exactly!! That is a great honor that should be relayed by the coach...not sure what is up with that?
Obviosuly Isaac was informed because he played in the District All-Star game...I wonder who told him?

Tigersports
Waterboy

Post by Tigersports »

So it sounds kind of even then he did not tell the ones that made it as well as the ones that didn't why are we complaining. Has any of the players (not parents) gone to Chris Murphy or Joe Hobbs. Every player on the team deserves recognition and they will have it every time they look in the trophy case in the high school.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

Good point! That SOC Trophy is pretty, isn't it?

Return to “Soccer”