Rules Question

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Rules Question

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I am a bit confused about when/where a hand ball is/should be called and hope someone with some knowledge on the rule can answer my questions.

Is it only illegal to touch the ball with your hands or is part of the arm considered illegal too? If so, how far up the arm is it illegal to play the ball?

Can a hand ball be ignored if it is considered unintentional? Is a hand ball normally ignored unless it is considered intentional? Can an offensive player accidentally control the ball with his/her hand and be allowed to play on since it wasn't done intentionally or is it dependent upon whether that player gains an advantage by the ball touching his/her hand?

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Re: Rules Question

Post by onthepitch »

Handling is very subjective the shoulder is ok but from point shoulder ends it becomes handling, now the way it is explained to me by many coaches is....If the ball plays the arm or hand in a normal position it is ok, but you are not able to use your arm or hand to control or play the ball in a awkward position example if you hand is over your head it would be handling. But know it is all under the observation of the referee.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

onthepitch has it correct. The easiest way to describe it is ball to hand or arm is ok, hand or arm to the ball is a violation. As mentioned, this is greatly up to the decision of the official. The only thing consistent is that it is never called the same...

aguy
Waterboy

Post by aguy »

I think that's how it is called but regardless of how the ball is touched if it results in an advantage for the team who touched the ball then it should be called a hand ball.

jazzfingers888
JV Team

Post by jazzfingers888 »

the goal keeper can use his hands in the box but not the other team's

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

aguy wrote:I think that's how it is called but regardless of how the ball is touched if it results in an advantage for the team who touched the ball then it should be called a hand ball.
I would think it should make sense that if a team gains an advantage, something should be called but according to what I've been told that has nothing to do with the call.

Buckeye24
Varsity

Post by Buckeye24 »

Usually if a player is using it to protect their face or other certain areas, the refs will let it slide. They're not really consistent on accidental touches though. I've seen players get hit in the hand by a ball and get called for it, while others don't. It depends on what ref you have and the angle they have on you.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

A decent explanation: "Strangely, the term "Hand Ball" is commonly used, but is not defined in the official FIFA rules. It is a "direct kick foul" if a player (other than the goalkeeper inside his own penalty area) deliberately handles the ball (meaning to deliberately touch the ball with any part of the arm from the finger tips to the top of the shoulder). If the player handles it for the purpose of preventing an opponent from gaining possession, it is a "cautionable offense" and a yellow card should be given. If a player deliberately handles the ball to deny an obvious goal scoring opportunity (e.g., to prevent a breakaway or to deliberately stop a shot), a red card should be given and the player "sent off". However, a hand ball foul should not be called if: (1) a player is instinctively trying to protect himself from injury or (2) the player did not deliberately touch the ball but the ball hit his arm & he did not move the arm toward the ball (however, if the player's arms were in an unnatural position such as above his shoulders or sticking out to the sides, then he should be called for a handball)."

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Here is a website with a referee giving a good explanation:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Soccer-Rules- ... &id=540636

Oddly enough, I am having trouble finding the 'book' wording. My rule book is old and I am not quite sure where I stuffed it after I read it last. <sigh>

soccernut
Freshman Team

Post by soccernut »

Another couple of factors you have to consider is speed and distance. If the player is five feet away and it is a very hard shot handling should not be called. If the ball is kicked from 30 feet away and a so so shot and the player tries to claim he was protecting him or her self, that won't fly because they had time to get out of the way. Basically if they have time to move their hands to protect themselves they have time to move out of the way.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

I appreciate the explanation. Sounds to me like it's just one of those deals that "I know it when I see it." I have come to the conclusion that I will just never understand this game.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

always depends on who is calling the game. i always just hope they are consistant in the call. middle of the field is one thing but seems as if the "hand ball" call is really getting lax in the box. i have seen few called this year and at times it looks obvious. at least it makes good conversation in the stands and on seops.

Return to “Soccer”