Starting girls high school soccer

Slew72
Riding the Bench

Starting girls high school soccer

Post by Slew72 »

Currently there is only one SOC school with girls soccer, Minford. How does one get a girls high school team started?

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Re: Starting girls high school soccer

Post by a_c_m »

I would say the first step would be to have a meeting to see how many girls are interested in playing. Then take it to your school board for approval. There currently are not that many schools in the area to play.
Minford has to play schools from Pickaway County, Ross County, Lawrence County, Athens County, Adams County and some teams from across the river such as Greenup Co., Russell, Ashland, Boyd Co., etc. What school are we speaking of? Good Luck!

Slew72
Riding the Bench

Post by Slew72 »

Northwest, we currently have over 120 girls from u4 through u15. We are having a quad match with Minford, Wheelersburg & West Union at the u12 level for girls.

Buckeye24
Varsity

Post by Buckeye24 »

West could easily get a girls team started

jazzfingers888
JV Team

Post by jazzfingers888 »

i know green could easily get a ladies futbol team started.

bleacherwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by bleacherwarmer »

I think it's great for the other area schools to try to get girls soccer teams. There is a lot of talent out there that I'm sure doesn't get noticed on the boys teams or the girls just quit and do something else or quit altogether.....best of luck to all the schools. I hope you get your girls programs and look forward to playing you.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

there is plenty of interest, but none of the local school boards will approve them, parents needs to get a pair and do something about it.

Slew72
Riding the Bench

Post by Slew72 »

That's my goal. Instead of going in and demanding a girls soccer team. I want to have girls teams established first. It starts with the youth leagues. All of the Scioto County teams play coed through U15. That has to stop. Next year Scioto County Youth soccer needs to split into girl & boy divisions. If you school doesn't have enough girls then you play coed, but it starts with our youth leagues. If Scioto county isn't willing to change, Adams county would gladly accept us into their girl leauges.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Just need to show that there is enough interest and that the interest isn't just for a short amount of time. When I was in JH, we had one girl play(and she was just there for the boys) then get to HS and there are 2 girls. The girls didn't want to play if it was co-ed and took a petition around the school to get the interest. The next year they had a club team, it was a club team for 4-5 years before it became a school funded full varsity team.

Now, the program has a full JV and varsity, as well as dominating the #'s in the JH program. In only the 4th year of being a full varsity sport, they reached the Elite Eight, so slowly building a program isn't the worst thing out there.

The school board needs to see extended interest though, as no school wants to deal with what Piketon is going through(varsity soccer, but only every other year)

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Slew72 wrote:Northwest, we currently have over 120 girls from u4 through u15. We are having a quad match with Minford, Wheelersburg & West Union at the u12 level for girls.

How did the games go today? Great idea to get this started? Good Luck!

Slew72
Riding the Bench

Post by Slew72 »

The games were a huge success with big turnout by the different communities. Hopefully we can keep this going with some upcoming girl tournaments. I believe Minford won three, Northwest 1-1. Burg 1-1 and West Union 0-3. All games were extremely close.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

doing away with coed rec league is nearly impossible. if there is a high school team to aspire to then girls will continue to play. they play pretty much equally until about 8th grade. from that point on is where the disparity continues. the club route is the only way it will happen in the near future.

Slew72
Riding the Bench

Post by Slew72 »

Is it nearly impossible? Seems like all other counties around our area have figured it out. The purpose is to get a high school girls team.

Slew72
Riding the Bench

Post by Slew72 »

Is there any interest from any other U12 and possibly U15 girls teams for a tournament at the end of the season? Right now, we have interest from 5~6 teams.

goUK
Varsity

Post by goUK »

south point has a tournament every year for U12 and im pretty sure they do for u14 girls as well, and there needs to be a u18 tourny as well.

Return to “Soccer”