Top senior in soc1

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Re: Top senior in soc1

Post by rockyraccoon »

After watching Clay play Valley last night I think A J Keaton from Clay should be on this list. He plays great physical defense. He made several nice clean slide tackles last night that really kept Valley from being able to attack the goal.

Joe Strummer
Freshman Team

Post by Joe Strummer »

numberwonfan wrote:What constitutes a best player isn't just the amount of goals, assists, or saves. Nor is it their physical size or passion of the game. Being able to dribble the ball around numerous opposition or having a hard strike is merely a fraction of what it takes. In the SOC those aspects may work, but at the next level or in a more competitive conference/division, it goes far beyond ball skills and work ethic. What decides the "best" player is how the player operates on the field as far as knowing how to create space and working off the ball. Those skills aren't reflected in statistics.
Numberwonfan: your post should pop up every time some clicks on the soccer forum until it is well understood by all fans, players, and coaches in the Southeast District.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

be as philosophical as you want stats drive the selections. the other aspects may get you to college, or maybe a club team, but unfortunately how many defensive players do you see selected to the soc, district, state teams? not many. keepers get the nod often due to stats (eg saves). a good team is measured by not only scoring but how they keep the other teams from scoring. we will never get that to change.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

I agree RX, while it is a big part of the game to have knowledge of what is going on around you and creating open space around you, after you create that space you have to do something when you receive the ball, be it an assist or a shot, dribble or pass. If you don't have stats you aren't going to get any recognition. Who was the last player you know of who went on to play at the next level because he was good a creating space and getting open?

Sports_Tracker
Freshman Team

Post by Sports_Tracker »

If many of our players were good at creating space and getting open, then you would see our southern ohio teams make a further run in the tournament. It makes for a great game of soccer when players move into space. It opens up the passing lanes, making it more difficult to defend. Players should pass to the open area not to the player. In Southern Ohio style....many of the players do not even understand this concept. A few teams have a few players that are playing at club level now and as the past few years have gone bye, you can definitely pick those players out by watching their games. They may not be the leading scorer on the team but if you understand the game, you can definitely appreciate those players. Good defenders are so often overlooked also. You don't have to score but one goal to win a game if you have a great defender behind you to keep the other team from scoring. Defenders have to work to open space and so does midfield. I think South Webster has went the farthest and they do play a great passing game and has a good line of defense and always a strong midfield, which is also overlooked. Those boys have played together for years and have done well. Waverly has many players that now play club and indoor soccer throughout the winter along with Burg and Minford. I have heard some conversations from a local college recruit and the question of how many high school goals have you scored was not the topic of conversation, however, making the statement...... "We liked how you created space" and "love how you work off the ball" was mentioned as top priority. The basic mechanics of the game has to be demonstrated first then the rest will follow and I believe movement of the player as well as the ball makes for a better style of soccer and is highly important! Congrats to those players/coaches that understand this concept.

Great post Numberonefan

numberwonfan
Waterboy

Post by numberwonfan »

rockyraccoon, how about Kirby Claxon from South Webster? He was an excellent defender who had great vision of the field and understood this concept of creating space. What do his stats reflect??? I'm pretty sure he didn't have a list of goals, assists, or saves?

vballsoccer178
JV Team

Post by vballsoccer178 »

I think good players stand out & get recognized by those who know the game. I think coaches could do a better job of getting names out there though. Just think of all the players that did score a lot of goals and didn't go anywhere. I don't think college coaches are really impressed with stats. They usually have players up to a practice session and see how they play with their team. Local recognition & even state recognition will get you a tryout, but that's about it.

Kirby Claxon was all Ohio his senior year. He was the sweeper for SW. They won the district his Jr. Year and lost to Hiland 2-1 in the District final his senior year. He went on to play at Mount Vernon Nazarene University where they went to the NAIA final 4 his Jr. Year.

Another standout that same year was GK - Jordan Lower. Jordan was the starting GK for Rio Grande this past season and is now out due to an injury. Jordan deserved the All Ohio recognition too, but it's tough to get 2 from the same team. Both defensive players that advanced to college and did well.

Good players that have a heart for the game will play on.

I encourage all player like that to continue on to the next level (with the recognition or not). Just come back & help coach when you are finished :)

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

numberwonfan wrote:rockyraccoon, how about Kirby Claxon from South Webster? He was an excellent defender who had great vision of the field and understood this concept of creating space. What do his stats reflect??? I'm pretty sure he didn't have a list of goals, assists, or saves?
I am not saying that there aren't great players without stats, I am just pointing out that it is hard to get recognition without them. you take the Claxon boy and put him on Eastern's team, he will still be a great player, but without a winning season, some tournament exposure and playing some better teams from bigger schools, who is going to see him?
btw, I thought defenders were more about taking away space?

chickensoupknowledge
Waterboy

Post by chickensoupknowledge »

rockyraccoon wrote:
numberwonfan wrote:rockyraccoon, how about Kirby Claxon from South Webster? He was an excellent defender who had great vision of the field and understood this concept of creating space. What do his stats reflect??? I'm pretty sure he didn't have a list of goals, assists, or saves?
I am not saying that there aren't great players without stats, I am just pointing out that it is hard to get recognition without them. you take the Claxon boy and put him on Eastern's team, he will still be a great player, but without a winning season, some tournament exposure and playing some better teams from bigger schools, who is going to see him?
btw, I thought defenders were more about taking away space?[/quote]

What I believe Numberonefan is saying; because Kirby understood the concept of creating space, he became a better defender to prevent it. :122249

numberwonfan
Waterboy

Post by numberwonfan »

RR, yes, that's the point I was making. In order to counter something you first have to know how it works. As the defender, especially the sweeper, the job is to pick up the unmarked, open man. By Claxon directing the other defenders on who to mark, he was able to see the area to control. However, the MAIN point I was making was that he didn't have a full sheet of stats and still made it on to the next level.

And I agree with you, it is hard to get recognition without having a winning season, tournament exposure, and playing better/bigger teams.

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

I knew what you meant #1fan, just a little ribbing. A good defender can even bait a pass by leaving space open, then anticipate the pass and cut it off.

Keagan
Riding the Bench

Post by Keagan »

Or even Kick a goal in sometimes. I'm pretty sure that claxon boy scored a goal from half field when he played once.

Joe Strummer
Freshman Team

Post by Joe Strummer »

[quote="rockyraccoon"]I agree RX, while it is a big part of the game to have knowledge of what is going on around you and creating open space around you, after you create that space you have to do something when you receive the ball, be it an assist or a shot, dribble or pass. If you don't have stats you aren't going to get any recognition. Who was the last player you know of who went on to play at the next level because he was good a creating space and getting open?[/quote]

In the past two years three "stat-less" players from St. Joseph have gone on to play college soccer, one in D1.

murmur
Riding the Bench

Post by murmur »

After watching most of the SOC I teams play this season, no question C. Scott, J. Wright, A. Rice, A. Miller, B. Patterson, B. Malone & Z. Wright are the top players. This group could possibly be in the top 10 of the SOC II also. The question to be asked is, do good coaches create good players or do good players create good coaches?

Waterdog
Riding the Bench

Post by Waterdog »

It is interesting to hear everyones opinions, but the bottom line is ... the stats.

GaryGroundhawg
Riding the Bench

Post by GaryGroundhawg »

What if a team gets beat by 10 every game and the shots on goal are around 45. So the keeper would make roughly 35 saves. That would add up in the save column, But also in the goal against. The saves would add up at three times the goals. Would this make the keeper best keeper?

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

there is a difference in shots and shots on goal. shots on goal minus keeper saves should equal goals scored. it drives me crazy when a kid winds up from the 18 and hits the ball 25 yds over the goal and they want that to be a shot on goal. In this case what if a keeper comes up to the top of the box and picks up a dribbler ball. Is that a keeper save?

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

GaryGroundhawg wrote:What if a team gets beat by 10 every game and the shots on goal are around 45. So the keeper would make roughly 35 saves. That would add up in the save column, But also in the goal against. The saves would add up at three times the goals. Would this make the keeper best keeper?
Depends on how good the saves are. Point blank shots are going to win 75% or more times, but 35 saves against a good attacknig team might show you have a great goalie, but a lousy defense. I am sure there are some great goalies out there but only get to make 2 or 3 saves per game because of their defense.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Websters seniors have been playing together since kindergarten at recess. i think they make each other better then with a coach like claxon, things just click... BP drops 4 goals on burg tonight

Return to “Soccer”