Waverly at Wheelersburg

rxburgfan
All State

Re: Waverly at Wheelersburg

Post by rxburgfan »

martin was the big boy in the center last night. has a nice touch for big man.

Tigereyez
Riding the Bench

Post by Tigereyez »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:So Harrison Martins not playing footbal this year. He did play in previous years, didn't he?
He did not play football, but you will see him playing basketball.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

Waverly 1 Wheelersburg 1

Team Half Total
Waverly 0 1 1
Wheelersburg 1 0 1

WB Lewis 19:22 1st
WA Roseberry, Saunders 35:56 2nd

Shots (SOG)
Waverly 20 (12)
WBurg 7 (4)

Both teams played really hard last night. Waverly had their chances in the 1st half to break the game open but Burg's keeper played fantastic and came up with some big saves and didn't give up any 2nd chances. Lewis scored on some poor marking by Waverly's backline on their only shot on goal of the half. In the 2nd half both teams came out with more energy and the pace of the game really picked up. Waverly was able to create some pretty good opportunities but poor finishing doomed them once again. Roseberry connected on a header at the back post off a Drew Saunders cross to knot things up. The last 20 minutes were fairly even in possession as Wheelersburg did a fantastic job of limiting Waverly's attacks. Harrison Martin played great for Waverly in the final minutes clearing 2 or 3 good crosses from the box and blocking a Lewis header in the final seconds. Very good sportsmanship by both teams in a clean game!

Harrison has never played football. He has been a starter for Waverly all 4 years but this is his first year playing on the offense.

Sports_Tracker
Freshman Team

Post by Sports_Tracker »

socman.....Lewis did have a shot that bounced off the cross bar before his goal the first half and Hughes had a break away ....however not sure his shot was on goal. Waverly definitely outshot Burg and Ethan Nichols had a fantastic game. Kept Burg in the game all night.

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

I observed several other players who definitely contributed to this game. #16 (Wiget) moved the ball around very well along with speed and hussle and #11 (Collins) showed determination in the midfield and defense. Also #25 (Remy) stayed very aggressive on Lewis.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

I 100% agree. Collins and Remy have both been 2 of the most important players on the squad so far this season. They both do everything they are asked and do it very well! Wiget is having a good season as well. He is a handful to matchup against.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

well good thing the tigers called off the dogs at the end of the game. according to the paper they decided a tie was ok. if not for that i am sure they would have beat pirates 3-1. two soccer teams battling for a tie. gotta love the game.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

RxBurgFan - In soccer a tie isn't always a bad thing. Playing on the road in a harsh enviroment you have to take what you can get sometimes. A loss would have been detrimental where I tie simply leaves things as they were.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

your team disguises a tie game strategy better than others. imo if i have a team that can beat your team then i am not going to play for a tie. usually a tie strategy is a losing strategy. most teams cannot play defense for 80 minutes. those who try generally lose. seen it too many times.

Mr.Smith
Riding the Bench

Post by Mr.Smith »

I'm sure no team steps on the field for a tie, but if that's all that comes out of the game then so be it. Obviously with these two schools home field is very important. Waverly has finally grown to be a power in the SOC. That can't be denied. 4 SOC titles since 2003, and looking for #5. So to go into 'Burg and walk away with just a point let's the kids know they still have a shot at a title.

Return to “Soccer”