Is Bragdon best keeper in SOC?

spchapman19
Waterboy

Is Bragdon best keeper in SOC?

Post by spchapman19 »

Bragdon has 62 saves in 5 games with only allowing 10 goals west is down this year and it seems Bragdon is the one who is holding the Young Senators together

Sider95
Riding the Bench

Re: Is Bragdon best keeper in SOC?

Post by Sider95 »

I say yes. 1 of those 10 goals allowed was an own goal against New Boston

spchapman19
Waterboy

Post by spchapman19 »

Also against Minford one was a pk

aunt bee
Waterboy

Post by aunt bee »

I would say no single player is more important to his team this year than Bragdon is to West. If he continues to put up numbers like this the rest of the season, then he should get serious consideration for SOC player of the year regardless of West's record. The best players aren't always on the teams with the best records.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

May be a harder sell than you want. Jordan (Burg) and Gullett (Minford) are 2 very good goalies also. No disrespect to Bragdon, but those two have had some very good games against some very tough competition.

aunt bee
Waterboy

Post by aunt bee »

Jordan and Gullett are both great goalies and I meant no disrespect to any other goalies. It is my opinion that he is the most important player to his team in the conference. West doesn't have an attacking offense and 90% of every game they play is played within 30 yards of their own goal. I'm sure you were at the Minford and West game and saw this. Also, West's best chance to score in that game was after Bragdon hurt his hand and went into the field in the last 9 minutes and had 3 shots on goal. Minford and Burg are 2 of the best teams around and I'm sure those keepers don't have to deal with so much of each game played around their own net. Just saying in my opinion there is no player more important to his team than Bragdon is to West and if he continues to average giving up only 2 goals per game whil averaging over 12 saves per game (17 against Minford) he should get player of the year consideration. Just my opinion.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I don't always agree with it, but the SOC player of the year is 99% the best player on the team who wins the conference. Last year there were 2 very strong keepers (Gullion and Scarberry) and the POY went to Purpero from Waverly. Honestly, until this thread I had never heard of your son. What grade is he in?

spchapman19
Waterboy

Post by spchapman19 »

Bragdon is a senior this season but good point the player of the year does go to the better teams but what the conference needs to look at is which player helps his team the most Bragdon is a great goalie and field player Thursday against Minford west looked like a new team when he was on the field and he had some great saves to

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

While I am sure he is the MVP of his team, I doubt he gets serious consideration for SOC POY on the team that will likely finish at the bottom of the league and will struggle to win any league games

vballsoccer178
JV Team

Post by vballsoccer178 »

4th n Goal is correct. The POY usually goes to the team that wins the SOC or finishes a close 2nd. That may not seem fair to some, but it is part of the reward for finishing at the top. Bragdon is a good keeper. I'm not sure why he would punch a goal post though. I find discussion on the "best" player too opinionated. Minford fans will say Gullet, Burg fans Jordan, and South Webster fans Coriell. All great keepers

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

The SOC is blessed with several outstanding Goalies. Nathan Bragdon is one of those. Trevor Coriell and Zack Jordan are also proven and experienced goalies with a history of success. Matt Gullet shows great promise. I have not watched all of the goalies yet so I can't comment on the newer ones this year. Goalies tend to have dramatic effects on their teams but there are many outstanding field players in the SOC'. Player of the year has many factors in making that decision, sometimes 'political', but the player is deserving. The trick comes in deciding between several deserving players.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

I might be a little bias but Coriell is pretty tough. He doesn't get rushed and is very patient, but not afraid to come out when needed. Very good judgment on those plays. Punts and goal kicks are consistent as well. Nice distance and loft on the ball. Good field awareness too. Knows when to throw out for a counter or transition versus waiting to punt. All around solid performance for Coriell this season.

falcon80
Waterboy

Post by falcon80 »

I would agree with Jeepmadness. The jeeps keeper has played pretty flawlessly in the games I've seen. Gullet at Minford has not played since 8th grade and is now a junior. Its hard to evaluate how good he is with the short time he has been back. I look for him to continue to improve and be a top keeper next season. Burgs keeper hasn't impressed me that much. It seems when he gets challenged, which hasn't been much credit to the burg defense, he gets scored on. When Webster was shutout by burg, it wasn't due to great keeper play. The jeeps missed the goal badly and didn't test the keeper. Not positive on stats, but the shots that were on frame, were very weak.

Return to “Soccer”