Ironton Soccer

PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

Ironton Soccer

Post by PopeSnoopDogThe1st »

I've heard in the rumor mill that the Ironton BOE is contemplating starting a middle school soccer program in the next couple of years, with the hopes of developing a high school program as they move up.....same as what RH is currently trying to do.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: Ironton Soccer

Post by 4thgoal »

Now that they are a member of the OVC who has several teams in boys and girls soccer, that would make sense. Also, I think Portsmouth could follow suit and do the same.

BETTERTHANYOU00
Waterboy

Post by BETTERTHANYOU00 »

I'd still like to know why Portsmouth's program fell apart. They haven't fielded a team since the 05-06 season I think.

Coach93
Freshman Team

Post by Coach93 »

Portsmouth Soccer program was really never treated as a varsity sport at PHS. It had a hard time competing with the football program. Really never had any support from the admin. I should know I was the last varsity soccer coach they had. I took the program over in the fall of 2003 and in my first season I had 15 kids and make shift uniforms that had been there since the program started. We finished the season 2-16. The following year I trimmed the schedule down to help our program to be on a more even playing field and with help of a few parents and fund raising we were able to get new uniforms plus we had more numbers we went from 15 players to 24 players but we still got no support we finished 3-15-1 that year . If I would have made it to my third year the numbers would have been about 35 kids enough for a varsity and JV team. I had some football players coming to play soccer I guess the football powers to be at the time did not approve of it. I got a call and was told program was being shut down thus the end of Trojan Soccer . I hope one day that soccer will be played again at Portsmouth High School. I believe there may be a chance one day for it to be played again at PHS.

Return to “Soccer”