Keeper Saves

4thgoal
SEOPS

Keeper Saves

Post by 4thgoal »

How do you define a keeper save? I have seen some stats around the area where a keeper has 32 saves in a game or has 60 saves in the first 3 games of the season. I guess it could be possible, but I would guess a lot of those are simply keeper touches that are getting counted as saves.

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Re: Keeper Saves

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

Per NCAA:

A save is awarded to a goalkeeper only if a shot otherwise would have gone into the goal. A
goalkeeper can be credited with a save without catching the ball. If the goalkeeper blocks the ball or
punches it wide or over the goal, that goalkeeper can be credited with a save, provided the ball would
have otherwise gone into the goal. To receive a save, the play must be a shot on goal. A goalkeeper
cannot receive credit for a save on a cross. Exception: A cross that the goalkeeper stops that
otherwise would have entered the goal is considered a shot, and the goalkeeper is credited with a
save.

Post by rxburgfan »

Good explanation. Hopefully that will better define what gets credited to a keeper. But 60 saves through about 3 games is iffy.

BananaSC74
Freshman Team

Post by BananaSC74 »

I feel like a lot of goalkeepers around here are being credited for saves when they simply pick up a ball in their box.. a save to me is when there is a direct shot on goal and the keeper saves it to prevent a goal.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

BananaSC74 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:03 am I feel like a lot of goalkeepers around here are being credited for saves when they simply pick up a ball in their box.. a save to me is when there is a direct shot on goal and the keeper saves it to prevent a goal.
I agree. Keeper touches and keeper saves are 2 very different things.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

Keeper saves are kind of like stolen bases on wild pitches/passed balls. You can't believe the stats.

A team would have to be very over matched for the keeper to have 20 real saves in a game.

I have kept stats before and it is rare to have more than 10 in a game.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I did stats for a few years and had one game where our keeper had over 10 (likely only one over 7-8) but in that game, he had 24 lol, just constant pressure and the keeper played great. Won the game 2-1, then not surprisingly, got beat by that team in the tournament by 2 or 3 goals.

I have to say this, I have seen 4 or 5 pretty lopsided games this year where the shots weren’t even close. One of those, I would believe that the kid had over 20 saves if someone told me that. He played out of his mind in a 7-0 loss.

Tonight, I watched Wilmington at Unioto. There were 3 total saves in the game, 1 by each keeper and 1 by a midfielder who covered the goal. When I was in school, we had an a 2 time All Ohio GK who had nearly 600 saves in his 4 years (nearly 10 per game). He graduated when I was a sophomore and we laughed when someone said how many saves he had. The GK the next 2 years had a total of 126 in his career (3.2 per game). Safe to say, the stats were a little more legit those last two years...or we were light years better defensively.

Mr.Smith
Riding the Bench

Post by Mr.Smith »

The Flush wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:03 pm Keeper saves are kind of like stolen bases on wild pitches/passed balls. You can't believe the stats.

A team would have to be very over matched for the keeper to have 20 real saves in a game.

Saves just aren’t the only thing area Statisticians are misconstruing. I was at the ZT vs Burg game last Saturday and the announced a Burg player getting credit for ZT own goal that they weren’t even a part of (ZT outside back kicks a ball with pace back to their keeper, keeper mid plays the ball and it goes passed him into the goal. Announcer credited Burg player (can’t remember the name) with the goal. I know the ones keeping the books are usually parent volunteers but I would like to see them scored/recorded correctly.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Mr.Smith wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:15 pm
The Flush wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:03 pm Keeper saves are kind of like stolen bases on wild pitches/passed balls. You can't believe the stats.

Saves just aren’t the only thing area Statisticians are misconstruing. I was at the ZT vs Burg game last Saturday and the announced a Burg player getting credit for ZT own goal that they weren’t even a part of (ZT outside back kicks a ball with pace back to their keeper, keeper mid plays the ball and it goes passed him into the goal. Announcer credited Burg player (can’t remember the name) with the goal. I know the ones keeping the books are usually parent volunteers but I would like to see them scored/recorded correctly.
How would you have recorded the goal? Its always been my understanding that the closest opponents' player is credited with the goal. It sounds like that is what happened?

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

Defender gets credit

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Well this thread is about saves but what difference does it make what an announcer says? They can give it to Santa...

Mr.Smith
Riding the Bench

Post by Mr.Smith »

rxburgfan wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:06 pm

Well this thread is about saves but what difference does it make what an announcer says? They can give it to Santa...
The whole idea is to keep stats true and honest. The actual ruling for an own goal scored is that it gets marked as a goal scored but is not credited to anyone. As far as the announcer it is what is, just trying to help educate those that may not know and pushing for more accurate stats.

Return to “Soccer”