3. St. Ignatius (Cleveland) 6-1-1 71
4. Wadsworth 8-0-0 69
5. Beavercreek 5-0-2 57
6. Archbishop Moeller (Cincinnati) 6-0-2 51
7. Anthony Wayne (Whitehouse) 6-0-2 39
8. Anderson (Cincinnati) 7-1-0 32
9. Carroll (Dayton) 7-0-0 25
10. Medina 6-1-0 12
Receiving votes: Olmsted Falls, St. Charles Prep School (Columbus), St. Johns Jesuit (Toledo), Logan

BOYS DIVISION II
1. Revere (Richfield) 7-0-1 100
2. Rocky River 7-0-0 73
3. Archbishop Alter (Kettering) 5-1-2 64
4. Lakeview (Cortland) 7-0-0 61
5. Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy (Cuyahoga Falls) 6-0-2 48
6. Wyoming (Cincinnati) 4-1-4 39
7. Kenton 8-0-0 37
8. Vermilion 7-0-0 35
9. Tippecanoe (Tipp City) 7-1-1 16
10. Archbishop McNicholas (Cincinnati) 4-3-3 13
River View (Warsaw) 8-0-0 13
Receiving votes: Alexander (Albany), Lexington, Hawken (Chesterland), Howland (Warren), Memorial (St. Marys), South Range (Canfield), Elida, Bellbrook

BOYS DIVISION III
1. Summit Country Day School (Cincinnati) 5-2-0 100
2. Ottawa Hills 9-0-1 84
3. Grandview Heights (Columbus) 5-0-2 82
4. Dayton Christian School 6-1-0 72
5. Independence 8-0-0 56
6. Madeira (Cincinnati) 7-2-1 41
7. Archbold 6-1-1 39
8. Worthington Christian School 4-3-1 37
9. Bethel (Tipp City) 5-1-1 19
10. Troy Christian School 5-1-1 7
Receiving votes: Mariemont (Cincinnati), The Wellington School (Columbus), Hiland (Berlin), Northwest (McDermott), Van Buren

GIRLS DIVISION I
1. Medina 8-0-1 96
2. Loveland 8-0-0 80
3. Strongsville 6-0-1 77
4. Walsh Jesuit (Cuyahoga Falls) 7-0-0 74
5. Pickerington North 8-0-0 65
6. Springboro 7-0-2 55
7. Perrysburg 6-0-1 37
8. Lincoln (Gahanna) 6-0-1 21
9. Beavercreek 5-1-1 17
10. Avon 6-0-2 15
Receiving votes: Notre Dame Academy (Toledo), Copley, Mason, Anthony Wayne (Whitehouse)

GIRLS DIVISION II
1. Archbishop Alter (Kettering) 7-0-0 100
2. Indian Hill (Cincinnati) 7-0-0 90
3. Madison (Mansfield) 7-1-0 60
4. Big Walnut (Sunbury) 4-2-2 56
5. Bay (Bay Village) 5-1-2 54
6. Canfield 4-0-1 48
7. Wapakoneta 10-0-0 40
8. Archbishop McNicholas (Cincinnati) 4-2-1 28
9. Granville 4-2-1 18
10. Fairfield Union (Lancaster) 7-0-0 13
Tippecanoe (Tipp City) 7-1-0 13
Receiving votes: Gilmour Academy (Gates Mills), Jonathan Alder (Plain City), Clear Fork (Bellville), Lake (Millbury), Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy (Cuyahoga Falls), Howland (Warren)

GIRLS DIVISION III
1. Summit Country Day School (Cincinnati) 6-1-0 98
2. Grandview Heights (Columbus) 7-0-0 88
3. Lehman Catholic (Sidney) 7-1-0 78
4. Chippewa (Doylestown) 5-0-2 55
5. Madeira (Cincinnati) 6-3-0 49
6. Archbold 6-0-0 48
7. Wheelersburg 8-0-0 32
8. Kirtland 4-3-1 28
9. West Liberty-Salem 7-0-0 27
10. Mansfield Christian School 7-1-0 17
Receiving votes: Columbus Academy (Gahanna), Lynchburg-Clay, Grand Valley (Orwell), Loudonville, Swanton, Elyria Catholic, Manchester (Akron), Worthington Christian School

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Re: OSSCA Poll 9/18/17

Post by a_c_m »

It is good to see the Southeast District getting some votes.

Congrats to the Boys teams from Alexander and Northwest.

Congrats to the Girls teams from Fairfield Union, Wheelersburg and Lynchburg Clay.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Fu girls move up from 11th in the D1 poll, to 10th in d2 poll. Lol

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Fu girls move up from 11th in the D1 poll, to 10th in d2 poll. Lol

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Logan now 14th in DI poll, good stuff.

Hylander
JV Team

Post by Hylander »

I've said it before, but I don't see Northwest losing a game. I expect to see them in the top 5 by season's end. They may be the best team from southeastern Ohio since South Webster's 2009 team.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Challenge for NW like other teams from southern Ohio is that their record challenges them. Who have they beaten? Really no one. SOC teams are lack luster across the board. That's what makes it tough for southern Ohio teams. But NW has a good team. So tourney time should be interesting.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

rxburgfan wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:14 am Challenge for NW like other teams from southern Ohio is that their record challenges them. Who have they beaten? Really no one. SOC teams are lack luster across the board. That's what makes it tough for southern Ohio teams. But NW has a good team. So tourney time should be interesting.
To me the problem isn't that their record challenges them, as much as it is their opponents don't. Which I think is probably moreso what you were saying. So if we dig into this a little deeper..

Northwest is 10-0-0. Their opposites however are 23-36-6. That is even an adjusted record that OSSCA does, that removes the 10 losses that they have given to their opponents. They have had 1 close game, a 1-0 game with North Adams, who is 4-5. Maybe it's a rivalry game or something, idk.. but still.

Now let's look at the central district teams in the state pool.
grandview heights, worthington christian, the wellington school.

Grandview Heights, 6-0-2, opponents record 24-28. one of their ties is against WC 1-1, and they play the wellington school in a couple weeks.

worthington Christian, 5-3-1, opponents record 33-20-8. again their tie is vs GH 1-1, they beat the wellington school 2-0.

the wellington school, 5-3-2, opponents record 31-26-8, lost 2-0 to WC, play GH in couple weeks.

So right away looking at the schedules we can see a pretty big difference. GH plays bishop watterson, bexley (9-0), the wellington school, and columbus academy(7-1-1) in next few weeks, their schedule is about to get rough.

1) it is easier for these teams to schedule good games based just on location alone. that is a fact, and nothing NW or other teams deep in the SE can do about that.
2) it is not always easy to get a CD team to schedule a SE team, if they don't know anything about them or believe they will be good enough to schedule.
3) most AD's are going to want a home and home, and i'd just assume a bunch of CD Ad's would say no.

BUT, let's look at it another way, and take Logan for an example. Logan scheduled a bunch of CD teams this year. Pickerinton North, Dublin Scioto, Horizon Science, Hamilton Twp, Central Crossing, Big Walnut. Guess what though, their opponents record, 22-34-6. pick north is 5-3, they beat them 2-1. Scioto they beat 3-1, they are 0-9. So sometimes you just have bad luck with scheduling. Though i'd still guarantee that these teams play better soccer, and give logan better looks than if they played just SE teams(which wouldn't make sense for them anyway).

In the end, I think it is really on coaches. If you think your team is going to have potential to be really good, the following year, then try your best to at least get some saturday games against teams that will make you better, even if you take a couple losses.

I know we all want regional respect, and we see records of teams and say oh wow, they are 10-0(not talking about northwest, just saying that in general), but until we get to the regional and start winning games, nobody is going to give us any respect. And personally that is fine with me, because respect is earned.

Let's hope this year, NW or anyone in the SE can get up to regionals and get a win or two and really make teams(and the CD) take notice!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I was on an undefeated team from the SE District that was somehow ranked in the Top 10 for the entire season and finished 5th. The reason I saw somehow is because our school had never advanced past the District level and while we played a challenging schedule, none of the teams we beat in the regular season were known statewide at that time.

Over the next 2 seasons, they went the way that Logan has gone and scheduled some traditionally strong CD teams and continued to get recognition after that. The record was still really good, but they still dropped a few games, but it ended up in a Regional Championship, so it paid off to be challenged throughout the year.

Hopefully, Northwest's schedule strength doesn't hamper them in the postseason. I do have to question why they would play Westfall though. I'm not sure if Westfall has ever won more than 2-3 games in a single season in their short history. They haven't scored a goal yet this season and may be the worst team in the state.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:24 am I was on an undefeated team from the SE District that was somehow ranked in the Top 10 for the entire season and finished 5th. The reason I saw somehow is because our school had never advanced past the District level and while we played a challenging schedule, none of the teams we beat in the regular season were known statewide at that time.

Over the next 2 seasons, they went the way that Logan has gone and scheduled some traditionally strong CD teams and continued to get recognition after that. The record was still really good, but they still dropped a few games, but it ended up in a Regional Championship, so it paid off to be challenged throughout the year.

Hopefully, Northwest's schedule strength doesn't hamper them in the postseason. I do have to question why they would play Westfall though. I'm not sure if Westfall has ever won more than 2-3 games in a single season in their short history. They haven't scored a goal yet this season and may be the worst team in the state.
I'd assume as a player, those games got you way more excited to play too. My first year playing soccer at fu, was like the 3rd year of the program, and we were awful. Im sure Granville and New Albany didn't get at all excited to play us. Unfortunately they had too, because the MSL was all one big league then.

SoccerGuy1
Waterboy

Post by SoccerGuy1 »

You cant always determine who is going to be good the following year, and a lot of schedules are started two years prior. Talking about Northwest, look at the past 15 years out there, until the past couple years they have been bad bad. You don't build a program buy scheduling teams that are going to wax you, you try and schedule teams you can compete with..Plus teams up north wont schedule them from that past, maybe coming seasons they will...They have competed the last few years and now they are finally having a real good season and people want to bash them. Was told they scheduled Westfall because they had a team drop them and westfall and courthouse were only two teams that would play on last second notice (they already beat courthouse bad in scrimmage so i'm assuming thats why they chose westfall). Like stated before, lets just hope one of these teams from SE ohio can make a decent run. We all know how tough the other districts can be. Just glad we are at least getting some recognition down here, why complain about that? lol

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Dude you can't take any of the above as bashing... because it isn't. Recognition is nice, but you also might not understand how the ossca pool works either. Everyone here will be rooting for whoever comes out of the district to take the next step at regionals.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

Also, maybe some schools are different, but soccer schedules eren't typically made that far in advance. We made ours, normally, the spring before. And there are always teams posting openings on ossca.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

There was no bashing intended, just looking at the last couple years for Northwest and they were pretty good. I saw that they played Adena last year (the only team Westfall beat last year) and Adena didn't have a team this year, so that could be who it would've been.

I'm pretty far away from soccer at this time, but will definitely be pulling from whomever advances out of our area. 2 SE teams have ever advanced to the Final Four and it hasn't happened since the 2004 season, so we need it to happen soon. We had a little respect over the following few years and I feel like we can get it again.

SoccerGuy1
Waterboy

Post by SoccerGuy1 »

Sorry guess it wasn't really bashing, my apologies...I understand how most of the polls work and understand schedules matter, as they should. I'm just saying its hard to schedule exactly what you want the year before....heck someone might want to schedule northwest next year now and they might win 2 games(not likely just saying)...Its just hard to do unless your scheduling teams that go to regionals year in and year out...and then most of them won't want any of our area teams....guess we all have opinions....I'm just down here hoping a team from our area makes decent run, I'm rooting for all the teams in our area.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

SoccerGuy1 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:40 pm Sorry guess it wasn't really bashing, my apologies...I understand how most of the polls work and understand schedules matter, as they should. I'm just saying its hard to schedule exactly what you want the year before....heck someone might want to schedule northwest next year now and they might win 2 games(not likely just saying)...Its just hard to do unless your scheduling teams that go to regionals year in and year out...and then most of them won't want any of our area teams....guess we all have opinions....I'm just down here hoping a team from our area makes decent run, I'm rooting for all the teams in our area.
You're not wrong. Teams from the CD probably wont call NW. But I was saying, if I'm NW, I'm calling teams from there, if i know im gonna be solid, to schedule them.

We definitely all agree with the last part. And also hope even without a tough schedule that NW goes on to do it anyway!

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Worth mentioning Rock Hill is currently 7-0-2. Just came off of big wins against Fairland and Point Pleasant (WV). Also worth mentioning this is the second year of fielding a varsity team.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
Hylander
JV Team

Post by Hylander »

Rock Hill has some incredibly talented players who have a good understanding of the game. Hopefully they can continue to grow their program. What they've done in such a short time is impressive.

GoAt 10
JV Team

Post by GoAt 10 »

Most won't read the entire post so let me say this first, Congrats to all local teams, and especially northwest from the SOC. It may be the first time in school history they've been considered in any poll. Burg girls I hope you make it to state, represent SOC and the SE district.

With Club soccer becoming more popular in the SE district area I think teams will start getting better all around. But let's face it. Regional finals is the state championship game for SE district teams in D3. Webster and Minford made it to regional finals in 08 and 09 both losing to Worthington Christian, who had players from all over that were all year round soccer players. The top teams in the state every year are mostly private schools and have multiple D1/D2 college level players. SE district teams have 1 or 2 players that go on to play college at NAIA schools. Big difference. Enjoy the recognition, let the teams and communities enjoy it, make memories, and play to make it to regionals.

Competitive Balance should have been private schools separate from public. Summit country still going to win state by 6+ goals.

Coach93
Freshman Team

Post by Coach93 »

Northwest has been ranked before but you will have to go back to the fall of 1993 . The Northwest Mohawks finished 15-3-2 I believe and was ranked number #4 in the state for some time until they lost to Valley 4-1 and I might also add they also Won the SOC Championship District Championship and Finished in the Regional semi finals and lost to a very good Dayton Bellbrooke Team that went on to the state tournament . I agree with everyone else it is just nice to see the South East District get some hype. Good luck to all the teams the rest of the season.

Return to “Soccer”