5 Divisions?

ndc soccer
Freshman Team

Re: 5 Divisions?

Post by ndc soccer »

This is a step in the right direction, as Division 1 was much too large from the biggest schools to the smaller schools in it.

SoccerGuy22
Riding the Bench

Post by SoccerGuy22 »

Should be interesting to see if anything is changed and how the divisions will look afterward. I’m hoping for only 4 divisions as anything more will make the divisions far too sparse.

Rio4life
Waterboy

Post by Rio4life »

They will most likely go to five divisions. There is a YouTube video describing the process.

The divisions will be:

D1-64 teams
D2-64 teams
D3-D5 is distributed equally with the numbers of teams left.

SoccerGuy22
Riding the Bench

Post by SoccerGuy22 »

Looks like today is the day the OHSAA votes on divisional expansion. I still think 5 is slightly too many as I'd rather have it at 4 divisions but still very interested to see how the divisions shake out if this change does go through.

Coach93
Freshman Team

Post by Coach93 »

Well the wait is over the OHSAA did indeed pass the divison expansion this morning starting in the Fall of 2024 soccer will have 5 divisons. The email I received said that they will now run the numbers and place the schools in the proper divison and will let members schools know what divison they will be placed in. Welcome to a nerw era of the OHSAA.

borodad
Riding the Bench

Post by borodad »

seems to me the teams in the bottom of division I are now dancing around as they are now the top of division III.....honestly this does not make much sense to me other than to help those that were in the bottom half of division I...Hillsboro goes from middle of division 2 to bottom of 3 but now has to play teams that were in division 1????

SoccerGuy22
Riding the Bench

Post by SoccerGuy22 »

I can imagine alot of the D2 schools will not be too pleased. as a SHAC fan nothing really changes for any of our teams in the postseason. D5 will be South Webster, St Joe, Lynchburg and North Adams most likely, unless a South Point sneaks in somehow. But they seem like a fairly large school. I wish someone could make an easy to read spreadsheet of schools.

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

It has been approved and we will be moving to 5 Divisions. Top 64 are DI, next 64 are DII, then the rest divided as evenly among DIII, IV and V.

SE Ohio
Freshman Team

Post by SE Ohio »

so does that mean that Logan would go from D1 to DIII? They are not in the top 128 in terms of enrollment.

JeepNation26
Freshman Team

Post by JeepNation26 »

I agree with trying to bridge the gap for the D1 schools that makes sense, but there's never any talk about making a couple divisions just for the private schools themselves. There's clearly a difference every single season in every division once you make it to regional final that public schools have a hard time competing with pretty much club soccer all-star teams.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Great point raised about the private school issue. Lots of them don’t have large enrollment i am curious to see how competitive balancing works

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
borodad
Riding the Bench

Post by borodad »

SE Ohio wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:32 pm so does that mean that Logan would go from D1 to DIII? They are not in the top 128 in terms of enrollment.
yes I believe Logan and Chillicothe are now division 3....ridiculous to me

SoccerDad
Waterboy

Post by SoccerDad »

borodad wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:19 pm
SE Ohio wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:32 pm so does that mean that Logan would go from D1 to DIII? They are not in the top 128 in terms of enrollment.
tough break for those teams right on that D3/D4 edge like Warren... Only a handful of kids keeping them from dropping to D4—instead they are now in the same division as several former D1 schools.

borodad
Riding the Bench

Post by borodad »

SoccerDad wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:33 pm
borodad wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:19 pm
tough break for those teams right on that D3/D4 edge like Warren... Only a handful of kids keeping them from dropping to D4—instead they are now in the same division as several former D1 schools.
next year there will probably be 3 current division I teams win state titles...not sure how that helps anything

SE Ohio
Freshman Team

Post by SE Ohio »

Those teams won’t be competing in d1, it certainly helps them, I’m sure Chillicothe and Logan are doing back flips because they don’t have to see the Pickerington’s dublins and Westerville’s in the post season anymore

SoccerGuy22
Riding the Bench

Post by SoccerGuy22 »

Saw a spreadsheet in another forum here and it outlines divisions based off this current year enrollment.

13-14 schools in D5 with Portsmouth West one student over the limit in D4. Northwest about 10 off from D5, most others are about 20+ off the cutoff, I’d say D5 will definitely merge with the East most likely if that’s the case or there will be only 1 district champ in that division.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

SE Ohio wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:44 am Those teams won’t be competing in d1, it certainly helps them, I’m sure Chillicothe and Logan are doing back flips because they don’t have to see the Pickerington’s dublins and Westerville’s in the post season anymore
The down side is that they'll still have to play central district teams, but you are correct about the schools you mentioned being in higher divisions

HHS
Waterboy

Post by HHS »

SoccerGuy22 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:06 pm Saw a spreadsheet in another forum here and it outlines divisions based off this current year enrollment.

13-14 schools in D5 with Portsmouth West one student over the limit in D4. Northwest about 10 off from D5, most others are about 20+ off the cutoff, I’d say D5 will definitely merge with the East most likely if that’s the case or there will be only 1 district champ in that division.
Very hard to speculate, what the OHSAA will do. In D5, you should remember that there will be significantly fewer teams. The East District figures to have only 8 D5 schools. If they do like the old days and send the east to the south, that would mean a little over 20 teams, which would probably produce two district champions. There is no telling what they will do though and travel for tournament is likely to be insane.

OSH
Riding the Bench

Post by OSH »

Not disappointed with the five division decision.

SoccerGuy22
Riding the Bench

Post by SoccerGuy22 »

Saw in another thread that the April 25th meeting is when we get finalized enrollment numbers and divisional placing for this new season. Almost a week out now.

Return to “Soccer”