club volleyball

rocket20
Freshman Team

club volleyball

Post by rocket20 »

I was wondering if anyone had any info on club volleyball. My daughter is n the 7th grade(13 years old n a couple weeks). Just wondered when tryouts were, cost, where teams r located and like when it runs from(starts and ends), how often practices r...stuff like that. Would appreciate any info I could get...thanks.

Esully63
Freshman Team

Re: club volleyball

Post by Esully63 »

I would start at ovr.org. There are links to match you with clubs and all the club contact info. You won't regret it, club is a great experience.

rocket20
Freshman Team

Post by rocket20 »

Thanks. I went to the website and I'm.not the greatest on a computer but didn't c any tryouts on there. I just figure they r coming up soon and don't want to miss them. If anyone has played club volleyball b for or had a daughter play and could give me any info(even if it was from when they played) ...just an idea so I don't miss tryouts or anything. I'm not familiar at all with it and not sure if she would even b good enough to make it but she has played 2 games so far and a scrimmage(7 sets) and she has served 11,9,10,14,10,9 and an unfortunate 1 serves in a row b for losing her serve. She's pretty consistent, she sets really well,bumps well,moves after the ball,plays hard, and she's the captain on the team so most importantly she's a TEAM PLAYER. She does a good job of encouraging her teammates when they don't make a play(which I love about her) . By the way I am her hardest critic..I'm not trying to make her sound like.she's the best v ball player ever or brag on her...just trying to get feedback on just how good u have to b to make it since I've never been around the club v ball scene. Thanks n advance for any info.

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

Go to Spiketown Volleyball Club.com They have some contact info. The guy that runs it is named Rittenour. His number is listed. Call him.

Esully63
Freshman Team

Post by Esully63 »

Go to aletaaces.org and see what is posted there. They are a well respected club and have great coaching. Try outs will be held after the high school tournement are over. I beleive ALETA's try outs are the day after the state finals and the younger ages are the day of state finals, but don't qoute me on that check out the website.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

I don't know where you are located but here are a few options.
SOVC and ALETA are the two most established and recognized names when it comes to our area on the Club circuit. Spiketown is entering its third year of organized play and is making a nice name for themselves as well.

ALETA is kind of around Athens/Alexander Area. I really don't know a lot about them other then you usually see ALETA teams playing deep into the tournaments. I know the pull some players from Vinton county.

SOVC is based out of Frankfort Adena. They also run teams out of Beaver Eastern. They are very well coached teams and as fundamentally sound as you will find in the entire OVR. They have won several Gold Medal tournaments at the OVR Regional Tourny.

Spiketown has the following varsity coaches on their roster, Huntington, Southeastern, Piketon, Paint Valley, and Chillicothe. They also have a former Unioto varsity coach and a Zane Trace varsity assistant. Like I said they are in their third year of existence and this past season put several teams in the Gold medal round of the OVR regional tournament with one team finishing second losing the third set of the championship match 14 to 16

Any three of the above would be a good club to join OR
check with your varsity coach and see if they are associated with a club program or see if they recommend one.

rocket20
Freshman Team

Post by rocket20 »

I live n Jackson but am from wellston and my daughter still goes to wellston. So Athens or chillicothe wouldn't b a bad drive for me. Do u know how often they usually practice or how.much it costs(just an average)? I guess I could get on aleta and spiketown websites and try to find numbers of coaches or whatever and just talk to them...I'm sure they could answer all of my questions huh?...lol. Thanks a lot for the info so far and if anyone else has anymore info they want to share it would b greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

When you start talking price you will need to check with each club.
I know I thought it was expensive until I started going to tournaments and talking with parents from other clubs playing at the level of the above mentioned clubs, I soon realized what we where paying at SOVC/Spiketown was cheaper then some clubs spend on uniforms and in relative terms a bargain.

For your daughters age and level you are looking at $400.00 and up.

I suggest for you to continue to do your home work, it is well worth it if your daughter truly enjoys the sport and wants to elevate her game. You kind of get what you pay for and if price is you're deciding factor you maybe better off to do private lessons and find a rec type league to get her in during the off season. (Don't go with a cheap team just cause they are cheap)

Just my 2 cents 
X

Return to “Volleyball”