TEAM?

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

TEAM?

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Please-
What has happened to the word TEAM? I have watched several Volleyball games this year so far and I am amazed how players act on the floor. When you are playing a game you should try and WIN the game. If you think it is okay to just show up, put half forth the effort, not use ALL your teammates, not dive on the floor after a ball, laugh when you mess up one point, two points, three points its not!! If you are not there to give everything you have to try to win the game then don't play. Am I the only one out here who thinks this way? Don't get me wrong it is okay to have fun on the floor, field, etc.. but what I have watched can't be fun. A lot of the athletes, (NOT ALL) that I have watched play volleyball, basketball, softball, football today need to understand what hard work, dedication, sacrifice really is. TEAM= TOGETHER EVERYONE ACHIEVES MORE

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

Re: TEAM?

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

I agree ClevelandBrowns#1. I have thought the same thing when I watch some of these games myself. You can always tell who the serious, hard working and sacrificing players are. These players who don't put forth the effort not only hurts their team, but the players who are trying to get athletic scholarships as well. It's usually the ones who don't put forth the effort are the ones who do the most complaining. It's sad, but it's up to the coaches to control it. I agree it should be fun, but it's more fun when the team works and celebrates together.

TIGER123
Waterboy

Post by TIGER123 »

I do agree. The number one thing that influences this though is coaching. If you have a coach that demands hard work and dedication that's what your team is going to give you. Coaches sometimes get caught in the mindset "they should want to work/play/practice hard" and that's true for some, but the bottom line is your kids are going to perform to the level of expectation. A coach is designed to maximize the performance of a team based on their inherit potential. :-D Find a team that isn't laying it all on the line and you'll likely find a coach not far behind that is modeling that behavior.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Thx. I was wondering if I was the only one seeing this. Coaching-You are right about the coaching also. The team usually takes on the personality of the coach. If the coach is laid back and doesn't act like winning is important then the team will take that on also. If the coach is a highly motivated, no nonsense, work hard, get after it coach then the team will take that personality on also. The one that really bothers me is the, Im your friend coach-that usually doesn't work. Players need the coach to be a coach, rip them when they need it, boost them up when that is needed, but most importantly be their coach not their friend!

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

I totally agree with you both. Very well put.

Return to “Volleyball”