SVC 2013: Let's get this party started...

bman
SEO

Re: SVC 2013: Let's get this party started...

Post by bman »

Can't argue against any of the top four winning the title - all very good teams. Should be an exciting week at Westfall with those two matches.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

bman wrote:Strength of the SVC shows today with Adena beating three D1 OCC schools at Worthington Kilbourne.

Huge week for Westfall with matches against talented squads from Adena and ZT. A very daunting week, but two wins would really put Westfall in the driver's seat for the SVC title.

Piketon won the Northwest Tournament this weekend as well.
Speaks very well of a league when a team not in the top half of the league standings can go to an invite and walk away with the hardware.

It will depend how teams get seated but we could see possibly 6 SVC teams win sectionals this year. (more if they don't have to play each other).

As for the second half,
Westfall is in the drivers seat.
Gotta like their chances at the title.
Its almost time for the SVCSPORTSZONE 
Gold Ball Jinks to be broke out on this club.

Zane Trace is in a position to get a share of the title
And with a little help maybe another outright crown.
It's gonna be hard for me to pick against a 
Coach Koker lead team in a tight race like this.

With 2 losses already in the books
Unioto is walking a fine Line for the SVC title.
The memories of that third set At Trace is 
resonating deeply in the souls of the Frenchtown faithful about right now.
Here's the Line on the Sherman's that may play a roll
In their quest for SVC title glory:
Westfall, Trace, Huntington, Piketon, Paint Valley,  and Southeastern
All have yet to play at Unioto this year.
You be the Judge on the impact that may have.

Adena is still in the hunt and taking Trace to 5 the other night in the
Comforts of the Big Blue Wigwam makes the statement  that they are
SVC title worthy. But the Warriors have yet to play Westfall in round #1
A loss there and the Warrior Nation will join the ranks of the remaining
SVC schools playing the part of SVC title spoilers.

Ready for the second half to begin.
WKKJ will be broadcasting Thursdays 
Mega Match-up between the Pioneers of Zane Trace
And
The Mustangs of Westfall.
I wonder if this is a big enough match-up to get the
Dynamic Due of Mike and Tom to call the game?

X

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

X good take on current vibe in the SVC and Thursday is huge for Westfall and ZT. Coach Koker knows that gym pretty well so i don't see that as much of an advantage for the Mustangs. Wish i could be there for this one but i got some 7th graders to coach-up! I know Von Hagen will slide into the hotbox and they should Mike and "Mike" him up as he has a sharp vocabulary for volleyball and i think listeners would enjoy his antics if he is not restrained to just saying thats a kill!

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

Interesting tidbit. Zane Trace has lost one road game in two years. That would be last years regional semi at Logan High School. Those girls like riding the bus...Ya think !!!!

RonVonHagen
Riding the Bench

Post by RonVonHagen »

SVC League play week 4… Let's take a peek and see what's in store.

1 Westfall – 6-0, 8-0 After their “relatively easy” week of going 2-0 last week, they have a tough row to hoe with the likes of Adena and Zane Trace on their plate. If they hold home court and go 2-0 on the week look for them at minimum to clinch a share of the championship the rest of the way. If they go 1-1 they will still control their own destiny to capture the title. However, if they lay an egg and go 0-fer it will about to become crazy up here in this SVC race. I’m talking wiiiide open race. Just remember being home for both games in the echo ((echo)) ((echo)) dome gives them a +4 points advantage per set. Earplugs baby!

2 Zane Trace – 5-1, 9-1 Piketon away, Westfall away. Thursday will be another big match for the Pioneers. Westfall is the team that shocked the world (hyperbole alert) ok… maybe shocked 2 counties in beating ZT at their place after being down 2 sets in the first league match of the year. Then the U came into Kinnikinnick and won the first 2 sets…. That’s 5 straight set losses on their home floor!! But what does Zane Trace do? Instead of hanging heads, they turn it around and win 3 sets in a row to take down the U and they haven’t looked back since… winning 6 matches in a row and in the hunt for back to back SVC titles. Senior leadership matters.

3 Unioto – 4-2, 8-2 Southeastern at home on Tuesday and Piketon at home on Thursday. Yawn. Have I mentioned in this thread that Unioto is unbeaten on their new floor??

3 Adena – 4-2, 10-4 To show you how good this conference is, the 3 rd place team in the SVC goes in and takes down 3 Division I schools (Thomas Worthington, Worthington Kilbourne, and Mount Vernon) to win the championship at the Worthington Kibourne Invitational this past Saturday. They just keep getting better and Tuesday at Westfall to put in the words of the great radio announcer Grant MacDonald…”it’s going to be a real barn burner”.

5 Huntington – 2-4, 5-5 Paint Valley (home), Adena (home)

6 Piketon - 2-4, 4-5 The Redstreaks have their hands full with Zane Trace at home and Unioto on the road. Going 2-0 in their tri-match this past weekend will do wonders for their confidence but playing Northwest and Ports Notre Dame ain’t the same as playing ZT and the Shermans.

7 Southeastern – 1-5, 2-6 The Panthers try to become road warriors as they take the bus to Unioto and Paint Valley. At this point In the season it’s all about improving for the Panthers.

8 Paint Valley – 0-6, 4-8 Looking for their first win in league play, the home match up with Southeastern looks to be verrrrry competitive. Maybe one of those 5 set thrillers that seem so popular these days?

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

boo33vb wrote:X good take on current vibe in the SVC and Thursday is huge for Westfall and ZT. Coach Koker knows that gym pretty well so i don't see that as much of an advantage for the Mustangs. Wish i could be there for this one but i got some 7th graders to coach-up! I know Von Hagen will slide into the hotbox and they should Mike and "Mike" him up as he has a sharp vocabulary for volleyball and i think listeners would enjoy his antics if he is not restrained to just saying thats a kill!

Good luck with the 7th graders, 
some good ball being played in the
Junior high ranks now a days around the county.
Very little underhand serving, if any 
and 
very little 1 hit free balls back over the net.
You not only see a high precentage of overhand serving
But several are mastering the craft of the jump serve
"even that killer jump floatie minus the jump :lol: "
And what impressed me the most was the amount of
PASS
SET
SPIKES
Completed and done so with relative good form for these girls ages.
Gotta give props to the club coaches teaching these young lady's
The fundamentals of the game at the middle school level and helping get
Them ready to play highly competitive ball by the time their jr. High career
begins. 

Vonhagen miked up,
I would love the hear that.
Some claim he has a face for the radio.

BOO as tech savy as you are
 "texting yet"
down load i-HeartRadio on your smart phone 
and listen to the game where ever you may be Thursday. 
It's free.

X

DadPaul08
Riding the Bench

Post by DadPaul08 »

Maybe Mike and Tom will let VonHagen give some of his expertise during Thursday broadcast.. LOL

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

If Westfall goes 1-1 this week that's a pretty good week. 2-0 is simply fantastic.

I'm sure ZT is eager for this one after letting that first match slip away. Adena is a solid team and program.

DadPaul08
Riding the Bench

Post by DadPaul08 »

Warriors too green to get it done this year. Two frosh, only one senior and pretty small on front line. Westfall takes this one

RonVonHagen
Riding the Bench

Post by RonVonHagen »

Xtoxxviii wrote:
BOO as tech savy as you are
"texting yet"
down load i-HeartRadio on your smart phone
and listen to the game where ever you may be Thursday.
It's free.
Haha, You're asking him to "download' something?? The dude just figured out how to change the time on his VCR last month... that's right it's not a typo. I didn't mean to type DVD or DVR I'm talking about the VCR! haha
Xtoxxviii wrote:
Vonhagen miked up,
I would love the hear that.
Some claim he has a face for the radio.
...but a body built for speed! ;-)
DadPaul08 wrote:Warriors too green to get it done this year. Two frosh, only one senior and pretty small on front line. Westfall takes this one
Dad, good points! I think this one might be too close to call. I've been going back and forth on this feature match that will be played tonight. Adena is definitely young and doesn't possess any bigs. Westfall is on a roll, has size, and probably the hardest hitting duo in the league. But Adena has played a tougher schedule. But Westfall has beaten the two teams that beat Adena (Unioto and Zane Trace). But Adena played and whacked Westfall in a preseason event and handled them at the preview. But Westfall isn't the same team that they were in preseason and at the beginning of the season. But Adena has gotten better and just won a tourney. But Westfall is at home in a tough gym to play in. Whew, I'm exhausted! I'm going with my gut.... Adena in 5.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

RonVonHagen wrote:[quote! I'm going with my gut.... Adena in 5.
I agree Von Hagen 
I like the Warriors if they can find a way to stretch it out to five.
Remember the fifth, 
or fif for the Dave Chappell fans amongst us ......
sorry there I go digressing again.....
Back on topic the fifth set is like you Mr. Hagen built for speed 
in where the the matches to 25 are more of an endurance test 
or battles of attrition if you will.
The Warriors have been facing teams that hit harder 
Then themselves all season long
I don't think the hard striking lady's from Westfall 
will back them off any 
the bigger question may be how will the Mustangs handle 
The scrappy warriors resilience when the hammer is being swung at them?
I don't think Westfall has faced a defense like this yet
So it will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Not built for a speed-o
X

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

Coaching tip for you young coaches out there. That 5th set is a sprint, the previous four are not played like the 5th. We always told our kids you must start fast, aggressive and force opponent into the 1st timeout. If they have or you have not taken a timeout by 3-0 you are in trouble and will spend the rest of the sprint trying to catch up. We won most of our matches in the 5th set because our team had this mindset. Play fast and error free and keep pressure on the opponent. You have less time for adjustments. Last year at Hilliard Davidson we got up on them 4-1 before coach called timeout. They took a quick timeout, didn't use the full 60 seconds and we kept momentum until they called another at 9-1 and it was too late. They made a furious run and forced us to call one and i used it all 60 seconds to calm team down and reassure them we were going to win if we keep ball in play and we did win 15-12 to secure Sectional title.

RonVonHagen
Riding the Bench

Post by RonVonHagen »

Westfall takes down Adena in four. Going through the first round undefeated in this league really says something. Well done! I really thought this team was a year away. Losing a 2nd Team All State player in Olivia Cobb, only 1 Senior on the Varsity roster, and new coach you figure that would work against them....but it hasn't! There's still a lot of vball to be played but right now they control their own destiny.

Set # 2 PIKETON 25 ZANE TRACE 17.... whaaaaaa???

The French Town Tanks win big. (At home btw)

Thursday will be for 1st place....

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Post by warningtrackpower »

On this week's podcast show - WF coach Jess Rodgers and a look at the second half of SVC play...the volleyball talk is 34:00-45:00 - here is the link (just click, hit play, and FF to 34:00)

http://www.dbkmediaservices.com/wordpre ... talk091613

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

The one thing that really surprised the X
when my beloved lady shermans played Westfall
was how well prepared the Mustangs 1st year staff was.
They knew exactly where they wanted to attack us
and did so systematically.
I also noted the assistant coach
went through a block of posted notes
while watching Unioto warm up.
And those posted notes
kept being referred to during the match.

The Mustangs new coach has about
an 180 different degree angle to
Game time coaching
then last years Westfall coach.
Not saying its good or bad,
As both styles are/were successful for the program,
Im just saying she appears
To be more even kill and systematic in her
coaching Approach and the Mustangs
are playing in reflection of her style of leadership.

Man this league has some good coaching
and they just seem to keep coming
When ever a position opens up.

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

Westfall has indeed caught me offguard as coach must have been playing possum at the preview as that has been my only chance to see them. Or maybe she is just a very good coach and team keeps progressing throughout he season. Might we be talking COY honors for Jess Rodgers at the turn? Adena, as much as i respect the program, must drop out of the top 20 in D3. You can't have 5 losses at the midway point and be considered a top 20 team.

iknow
Freshman Team

Post by iknow »

How many losses does Adena have against D3 opponents?

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Post by warningtrackpower »

iknow,

I would have to look a few things up to be 100% sure, but I think Adena's five losses would be four to DII, none to DIII, and one to DIV (can't remember name of school but I think they lost to a DIV school in the championship match of the Lehman Catholic Invite)

HHSSoftball
Riding the Bench

Post by HHSSoftball »

Adena has 3 losses to DII, 1loss to DIII (Westfall), 1 loss to DIV (McComb)... Don't know why iknow feels this is so important though!

iknow
Freshman Team

Post by iknow »

Was not a matter of importance, but a matter of gaining knowledge. No need to make something out of nothing.

Return to “Volleyball”