SVC 2013: Let's get this party started...

Xtoxxviii
All State

Re: SVC 2013: Let's get this party started...

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Hey Boo speaking of jr high volleyball 
you missed a packed house in Frenchtown last night 
as the SVC perennial power house, 
Frankfort Adena, 
took on the Lady Sherman's.
In both matches the league lead was on the line.
Going into the match the SVC 8th grade had a three way tie for first
With Piketon, Adena and Unioto all having one league loss
The 7th grade match was a battle of unbeatens
 in fact the only  sets dropped this season by either squad
Has been to their out of conference but in county rivals, 
The Lady Cavaliers of Chillicothe City School District.

Do to a scheduling conflict OUC Hilltoppers 
was playing a home event On the varsity floor 
at Camp Sherman at the same time.
While there was standing room only in the jr. High
There probably wasn't much over 30 in attendance
at the college event.

The SVC fan base loves them some volleyball 
That's foe sure

The Ol'10to'er

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Post by warningtrackpower »

Thanks HHSS - Forgot WF went back to three

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

X, who won in both 7rh and 8th matches? That had to be a fun, spirited gym last night. Thanks for the props and back at you as our 7th grade only has 1 loss, the Lady Shermans and our only 2 sets dropped are to you also as we are now 9-1 and 19-2 in sets. Next few years should be fun!

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

boo33vb wrote:X, who won in both 7rh and 8th matches? That had to be a fun, spirited gym last night. Thanks for the props and back at you as our 7th grade only has 1 loss, the Lady Shermans and our only 2 sets dropped are to you also as we are now 9-1 and 19-2 in sets. Next few years should be fun!

Well where does one to begin?

First off let the Great One, Xtoxxvii, be the first to congratulate Coach Rodgers and the Westfall Mustangs on the 2013 SVC Title.
The only thing left to be decided is if it will be a Golden Ball title for the Mustangs or not.

How about Paint Valley getting their first SVC win of the season tonight!
Congrats coach Whittle and the Lady Bearcats, Keep 'em working, I would love to see this squad in the Districs and dare i say the D4 regionals. Achievable goals in my opinion.

Huntington knocks Adena out of any hopes of the SVC title this season in a five set thriller.
Also should knock Adena out of the top 20 in the D3 polls

Unioto handles Piketon in three and yes Von Hagen it was on the new floor in Frenchtown.

Boo to awnser your question:
Adenas 8th grade jumped out big in both sets,
 I believe close to a double digit lead in both games
Only to see the Unioto Sherman's battle back in each
 to win and to take claim to the co- share of the SVC 
Lead at the turn.

In the 7th grade match Adena controlled the first set
And seemed to have the second set well in control
When the Sherman's woke up and decided to make 
A match out of it. Unioto won the second set and the
Final stanza 25 to 23 
in which the down judge proclaimed after the match
"I have done Varsity Matches this season where the ball
Playing was not this good"

Congrats to the young Cavs on a great season!
Yes volleyball in our area looks to be very solid 
for at least another 6 plus years.

X-out
Last edited by Xtoxxviii on Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Simply a tremendous week for Westfall with a five-set win over Zane Trace last night, following a four-set win over Adena two days earlier. Up two on ZT and Unioto, but still with tough matches against Huntington, @ Unioto and @ Adena.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Division 2 state rankings:
1 Padua Franciscan (12-0)
2 Archbishop Alter (10-3)
3 Norwalk (11-2)
4 Lake Catholic (8-3)
5 Madison Comprehensive (12-1)
6 Bishop Hartley (7-2)
7 Kenton Ridge (14-1)
8 Dover (9-0)
9 Beaumont School for Girls (5-2)
10 Waverly (12-1) 73
11 Galion (11-2) 55
12 Revere (11-0) 48
13 Washington C.H.) (10-1)
14 Wyoming (10-4)
15 Zane Trace (9-1)
15 Athens (8-0)
17 Carrollton (11-3)
18 West Holmes (7-3)
19 Claymont (11-2)
20 Bloom-Carroll (6-1)

Notable notes:
#10 Waverly
#13 Washington Ch
#15 Zane Trace
#15 Athens
#20 Bloom Carroll

Max Preps has Unioto as the
19th best option in D2 to win the state.

My point is this its going to be a very
Tough sectional/district.
The Sherman's matchup vs ZT may have
Little league implications but will go along
In the seeding process for the tournament
Draw. The winner should get a one and done
Home sectional match while the loser should
Expect two tough road games to make it to
The districts.

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

X, i think one side of the bracket is loaded, ( gotta go back and look ) and Washington C.H. should breeze through to district finals. I think Waverly, ZT, Unioto, my Cavs all on one side. Oh well you play the cards delt you. I always took that approach. No whining just go out and beat somebody and things will fall into place. Gotta have your team ready and peaking by the last week in September. Losses in early Sept don't mean a thing come mid-October. Get a little better each day! Jim Tressel circa 2002 :)

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

X , wow i just looked at bracket and it is way lopsided, The OHSAA didn't know it would play out like this but jeez...Athens, Chill, Gallia, Jackson, Unioto, Vinton county, Warren, Waverly and ZT all on one side. Nobody on the other side will touch WCH. 3 teams that are currently in 1st place in their leagues and a couple 2nds.

RonVonHagen
Riding the Bench

Post by RonVonHagen »

The Southeast District is behind the times. It should just be one bracket, coaches prevote their seeds and come to the meeting to pick the line they want on the bracket. A la the Central District. From a coach's perspective (except Buyer from WCH) the one side of the bracket is ridiculous but from the fan's point of view they get to watch some awesome match ups early in the tourney. Leggo Southeast District... It's 2013 not 1999 (prince reference haha).

DadPaul08
Riding the Bench

Post by DadPaul08 »

On the debate about SE District seeding vs Central District seeding.
I recall hearing an interview Mike Smith of WKKJ did last year with SE District President Leonard Steyer. Steyer said the Central District has actually looked at SE District method of tournament draw. The Central District is losing money on games, (especially basketball), because early rounds of allowing the middle seeds teams to steer clear of the top seeds creates blow-out scores. Fans won't go to see those, so the tournaments lose money. While high school sports are not all about making money, let's face it, it requires money to conduct tournaments. Host schools only make money for boosters concession stands. The ticket sales pay for officials, tournament workers, mileage to participating schools to travel there. Therefore, while everyone talks about how great the Central District does this or that, maybe the grass is NOT greener on the other side.... Just a thought.

boo33vb
Freshman Team

Post by boo33vb »

Good points DadPaul, but as a former head coach that experienced both the SE and Central district draws in volleyball, i opt for the Central District method as i feel it is fair and you earn where you end up. With 43 or 44 teams of course the first round will see lopsided matchups. It also gives you time to study ( which i did ) every teams schedule, if the coach posted it on OHSVCA website then you give a fair point assignment to each team and when you go to the draw it flows very smoothly and few surprises as to where you place yourself. Just the sheer amount of teams is probably why they lose $ in early rounds. We made it to district semis in 2010 and 2012 and Big Walnut was a packed gym not only for our match but the ones following us or before us. Too much Good Ole Boy or Buddy up going on in SE. You have to sit in the room to know what i am talking about. i am sure the Central District went through this until they adopted the new system. Same stuff rolls on in all-league and all-district voting. No perfect system but there are better ones available.

RonVonHagen
Riding the Bench

Post by RonVonHagen »

Dad, I do know leonard changed from a central site for the Sectional to a "higher seed plays at home" the first two rounds. This was implemented a couple of years ago. From a fiscal standpoint a central site sectional isn't a money maker because the crowds were miniscule. Having the higher seed play at home will enable you to draw a decent crowd. Maybe that is what he wanted to adopt from the Southeast Dist.? I'm not sure they would want to change their method of picking. I don't see in the Div 1 draw with 40+ coaches getting up in front of the room on a white board and lobbying why he/her team should be a #1 seed. That alone would take 4 hrs to complete. From a process standpoint more it's efficient and a coach has to really do his/her homework. Boovb33 nails it. It's seems fairer but no system is perfect. But the Central District method would definitely work in this years Div 2 with one side of the bracket having almost all the better teams in it. So yeah, maybe the grass in NOT greener on the other side, it's just cut a little neater and some edging done.

RonVonHagen
Riding the Bench

Post by RonVonHagen »

Week 5 in the SVC. The week ahead…

Westfall 8-0, 10-0 (Ranked #17 D3) - SE (away) PV (home)…. Looking to pick up a couple of wins as the Mustang buck their way to a gold ball!

Zane Trace 6-2, 11-2 (Ranked #15 D2) – Unioto (away) SE (home)…. Big matchup with Unioto in Frenchtown. B I G

Unioto 6-2, 10-2 – Zane Trace (home) Huntington (home) …. Match up with ZT looks to be a good one! Loser is in third place and could play spoiler rest of the way. Winner, mathematically however small it may be has a chance to share the title. Needs a lot of help for it to happen. Oh, and don’t forget about Huntington on Thursday! Two home games this week and no I won’t mention that the U is unbeaten on. . . .

Adena 4-4, 6-6 (Ranked #19 D3) – Paint Valley (home) Piketon (home)… Time to re-group and get their flow back on.

Huntington 4-4, 8-5 – Piketon (away) Unioto (away)… Best thing to do after a big win? Keep on winning!

Piketon 2-6, 4-7 – Huntington (home) Adena (away)… A couple of tough matchups for the week.

Paint Valley 1-7, 6-9 – Adena (away) Westfall (home)… Not going to be easy this week for Coach Whittle to get her second league win.

Southeastern 1-7. 2-8 – Adena (away) Westfall (away)… With their first league win almost a month ago, it’s time to win the little battles and work to take some sets away from these tough opponents this week.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Old School 10to28 predictions for coming week-

Mustangs run over Panthers

In a match tighter than Toby's Touch Hole,
The Fire power of the Sherman Tanks is
Too much for muskets of the Pioneers.

Unsuspecting Warriors mauled by Bearcats

Huntsmen avoid lightning strike
win Streak continues

Mustangs Feline stamped week carries on

Panthers vanquish in Kinnikinick

Tired Huntsmen ran over by a Full Tank

The Red Streaks are neutralized
by the Oh-Great-Spirit of the Big Blue Wig Wam

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

Interesting take on the Shermans vs. the Pioneers. The "U" will be a Zoo tomorrow. Just think the "U" and ZT will be seeded lower than Waverly and Athens............Seriously...Wow............As I always have said " 2nd Place is the first Loser".........Congrats to Westfall!!!!!!!!

HHSSoftball
Riding the Bench

Post by HHSSoftball »

Main Man... You are probably right... Waverly and Athens will probably be seeded higher.... Just hope that Waverly and Athens make it far enough to play the "U" and ZT because I believe the outcome would NOT be in favor of the higher seed (in that case)!

X... Love the "old school" and the good use of the nicknames!!!! Not sure about my "tired Huntsmen" being ran over by your "Full Tank" though!!!! LOL... Always look forward to seeing ya and talking about the "good times" in years past! (FYI... some people look better in green ya know!)

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

HHSSoftball
You have me speachless on the Green.
Touché, nicley played.

Yes we will talk,
I gotta hear the details
On the Adena match.
The Facebook post were classic :122246

On to the
D2 Southeast District Schools:

Southeast North schools-
Circleville, Fairfield Union, Hillsboro, Logan Elm, Miami Trace, New Lexington, Sheridan, Washington CH.

Southeast South Schools: Athens, Chillicothe, Gallia Academy, Jackson, Unioto, Vinton County, Warren, Waverly, Zane Trace. (9)

*can we work a "West" in here some where?
We have Southeast North, Southeast South,
Thats 3 Souths 2 Easts and a North but no love
For the West.

*From the North I thought Fairfield Union was returning a pretty strong team. Im picking them and Washington Court House.

The South is loaded.
UHS has not yet played Waverly
Warren is not on schedule
Unioto lost to Athens at the summer Adena Tourney
Lost to Trace in 5 at Trace
Beat Chillicothe & Gallia Academy At Unioto Tourney
Waste of time scrimmaging Jackson,& Vinton County

I look for Athens and Waverly to get the top seeds

I really don't know much about the records of these teams so for those of U that do how close will the following be to the actual seeding?
Athens,
Waverly
Zt/U
ZT/U
Gallia
Warren
Chillicothe
Jackson,
Vinton County,

EDIT:
Just checked schedule
The U has Wash COurthouse this weekend at Courthouse
We also have Waverly Oct 12 at waverly. When is
The tournament draw?

Unioto has Trace and Huntington at home this week and a Tri match at Courthouse in which i believe "The Burg" is the third Wheel.
Like last week for Westfall and Adena.
This is the week that will define
the Shermans Season.
Last edited by Xtoxxviii on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Post by warningtrackpower »

Westfall volleyball trying to make SVC history...

Also, we are asking fans to give their opinion on favorite SVC school to visit (end of the show)...

Here is the link to this week's show - just click, hit play arrow, and listen for free - also, feel free to call 740-569-3254 and leave a message if there is something you want us to talk about next week -

http://www.dbkmediaservices.com/wordpre ... talk092313

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

[quote="Xtoxxviii"]HHSSoftball

I look for Athens and Waverly to get the top seeds

I really don't know much about the records of these teams so for those of U that do how close will the following be to the actual seeding?
Athens,
Waverly
Zt/U
ZT/U
Gallia
Warren
Chillicothe
Jackson,
Vinton County,

Xtoxxviii I think you are right on the money with your seeding list. I feel that Warren, Chillicothe and Jackson are a tossup in the seeding. Warren is 7-6 right now with 4 of there 6 losses to AP ranked teams. Athens, waverly, ridgewood and easten have all got the best of us this year. We have split with Gallia and got by Jackson at home with a return visit on the 3rd of Oct.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

You all know the routine its not official till the SVCSPORTSZONE or WKKJ makes it but Im hearing from a very reliable source that Piketon has up set Huntington in 5. Huntington won the first two Piketon took last three. Huntington might have been short SVCSportszone player of the week
ALAYNA LYTLE do to injury.
More to come........

Return to “Volleyball”