Unioto @ Adena

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Unioto @ Adena

Post by warningtrackpower »

Big night in the SVC on Tuesday...SVCsportszone.com will be at Adena to call the game live. Below is the link to the LIVE broadcast page you will need to go to around 6:15 PM on Tuesday night.

http://www.dbkmediaservices.com/wordpress/broadcasts

Xtoxxviii
All State

Re: Unioto @ Adena

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Nice!

FAN
Waterboy

Post by FAN »

Great night of Volleyball. Clearly The U had the better athletes, but Adena looked like they had 8 girls on the floor on defense. No matter where the ball was hit, Adena had someone in the right spot. All I can say is wow! Laura Smith has done a remarkable job.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Thanks for the coverage
The X clan has listened to it twice,
If the Tanks had won we would probably
be listening to it till Christmas Morning......
I started out listening at the game, but there was about a 1 point lag between the live action and the streaming, so the X opted to listen to the remainder late last night.
Again I'm amazed how you guys can fill that much air time with no breaks and very little to Zero dead air time. Are you guys sure your not professionals? Cause it sounds that way.
Kind of reminds me like back in the day when The Beatles would show up at some random road side dive and play a set under an obscure band name.

Some proposed SVC Sports Zone Talking points:

A lot of opinions have been given on a mercy rule for volleyball.
How about the opposite side of that,
How about if a match goes to four sets giving the girls a
five minute break between sets 3 and 4.
And if needed sets 4 and 5.
So much is needed done between sets, switching benches, line-up cards, strategy talk, ect..
I'm not so sure the girls/coaches are getting to take the full 3 minute break
I just think a few extra minutes between sets, 3&4 and 4&5 won't hurt.
And would give the girls a few extra minutes to rest up, get their fluids in them and could possibly result in a better product on the court, and if it would have helped save just one injury last night those couple extra minutes would be well worth it in my opinion.
This is not the first time I have seen the injury bug bite in the later sets.
I'm good with the three sets, 3 minutes deal.

The state of the SVC (expansion, realignment)
With out dropping specific names, (not everybody will put their name on it)
Just who is wanting change in the SVC, is it within the league?
As in SVC superintendents, SVC athletic directors, SVC coaches (if so which sport/sports)
Fans of the SVC or SVC athletes?
Or
Is it out of conference entities wanting to piece meal a league together that would greatly improve their current standing or league status?
I think football is the driving force behind high school league configurations.
And I just can't fathom any current SVC members wanting a change in the league from a football standpoint.
Now some sports, especially on the girls side I could see why current members may entertain the idea of change.
From a football scheduling point of view how many year lead-time would the schools need if the League was to change?
Most football schedules are made 2 years in advance..........
I must admit watching the dynamics of such a change unfold would be very interesting, and if it was to happen I think many will be saying
"Be careful of what you wish for, you may just get it".
Are the current members of the SVC under any type of contract to stay in the league?
If so how many year contract does a school sign to be in the SVC?
What type of notice must a league member give if they are planning on leaving the SVC?
What type of criteria do the league members meet to be part of the SVC?
Does a school have to apply each year to be a member of the SVC ?
If so when is the deadline like for the 2015/2016 school year?

I like the live coverage and hope you do more, not only in volleyball but other sports as well.
X

iknow
Freshman Team

Post by iknow »

Bballsvcfan wrote:Great night of Volleyball. Clearly The U had the better athletes, but Adena looked like they had 8 girls on the floor on defense. No matter where the ball was hit, Adena had someone in the right spot. All I can say is wow! Laura Smith has done a remarkable job.
Congrats to adena for having the lesser athletes but still looking like they had 8 girls on the floor. That is amazing. At some point the u has to own up to not playing up to potential/hype.

george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

"At some point the u has to own up to not playing up to potential/hype."

As an outsider, I'm confused by this ... Unioto was a regional finalist last year losing to a very good Kettering Alter in 3 close sets. How is that not considered "playing up to potential"?

It seems everyone agrees that the SVC is very close in talent. Any one of Unioto, Westfall and Adena can beat the other at any time .. especially on their home court. How is a close 4 set match at Adena not living up to potential.

Bastogne
Freshman Team

Post by Bastogne »

Xtoxxviii wrote:
Some proposed SVC Sports Zone Talking points:

A lot of opinions have been given on a mercy rule for volleyball.
How about the opposite side of that,
How about if a match goes to four sets giving the girls a
five minute break between sets 3 and 4.
And if needed sets 4 and 5.
So much is needed done between sets, switching benches, line-up cards, strategy talk, ect..
I'm not so sure the girls/coaches are getting to take the full 3 minute break
I just think a few extra minutes between sets, 3&4 and 4&5 won't hurt.
And would give the girls a few extra minutes to rest up, get their fluids in them and could possibly result in a better product on the court, and if it would have helped save just one injury last night those couple extra minutes would be well worth it in my opinion.
This is not the first time I have seen the injury bug bite in the later sets.
I'm good with the three sets, 3 minutes deal.

The state of the SVC (expansion, realignment)
With out dropping specific names, (not everybody will put their name on it)
Just who is wanting change in the SVC, is it within the league?
As in SVC superintendents, SVC athletic directors, SVC coaches (if so which sport/sports)
Fans of the SVC or SVC athletes?
Or
Is it out of conference entities wanting to piece meal a league together that would greatly improve their current standing or league status?
I think football is the driving force behind high school league configurations.
And I just can't fathom any current SVC members wanting a change in the league from a football standpoint.
Now some sports, especially on the girls side I could see why current members may entertain the idea of change.
From a football scheduling point of view how many year lead-time would the schools need if the League was to change?
Most football schedules are made 2 years in advance..........
I must admit watching the dynamics of such a change unfold would be very interesting, and if it was to happen I think many will be saying
"Be careful of what you wish for, you may just get it".
Are the current members of the SVC under any type of contract to stay in the league?
If so how many year contract does a school sign to be in the SVC?
What type of notice must a league member give if they are planning on leaving the SVC?
What type of criteria do the league members meet to be part of the SVC?
Does a school have to apply each year to be a member of the SVC ?
If so when is the deadline like for the 2015/2016 school year?

I like the live coverage and hope you do more, not only in volleyball but other sports as well.
X
I realize svcsportszone is 100% SVC 100% of the time, but I would enjoy a little more information and perspective (when possible) regarding comparisons to other leagues, updates, etc. Granted, you try at tournament time--volleyball, baseball, softball, etc. I listen to the svcsportszone show, but I actually live in an area that is dominated by other conferences. Some ideas:
1. expansion, even outside the SVC (SEOAL, for example)
2. how does SVC football compare to say the TVC or the SOC or MSL?
3. how well does volleyball stack up to other leagues? same with other sports during their seasons, etc. etc.
4. transfers and open enrollment. Hot topic in other conferences. What about SVC?
5. assigners for leagues? perspective from those who have one and those who don't?
6. guests to discuss these items, besides your two usual co-hosts.

Just some thoughts. Enjoy the show and the coverage. Wish other leagues had the same coverage.

Return to “Volleyball”