SVC 2014 : Game of Thrones Edition

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Re: SVC 2014 : Game of Thrones Edition

Post by warningtrackpower »

Congrat to Adena and WF - All-SVC regional final

Here is a preview on SVCsportszone.com ... http://www.svcsportszone.com/2014adenavswestfall.html

iknow
Freshman Team

Post by iknow »

Sounds like Karli (22 kills) and Carly (56 digs) stepped up for the Lady Warriors last night but I still don't think they can over come the Lady Mustangs tomorrow. Westfall had little trouble with the Burg when it came right down to it. Maybe a little trouble closing it out, but the outcome was never in doubt. When Curry, Phillips and Wallace are on, it will be hard for the smaller Warriors to defend. Although I like the Warriors "floor game" better, I think this will be a match won at the net and Westfall has the clear advantage here. Good luck to both teams and I cannot wait to see the SVC represented in the state.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Counting out Adena? You have got to be kidding me. Westfall will have its hands full, because Adena is a quality opponent. Two very good teams playing.

bballsvcfan
Riding the Bench

Post by bballsvcfan »

25 to 15 Adena in set 1.

bballsvcfan
Riding the Bench

Post by bballsvcfan »

25 to 14 in set 2. Adena is clearly the better team right now. Westfall don't have an answer for anything.

bballsvcfan
Riding the Bench

Post by bballsvcfan »

Westfall pulls out set 3. 27 to 25.

FAN
Waterboy

Post by FAN »

Adena takes 4th set, 25 to 17. Watching these 2 teams play, Westfall is huge up front, but they are lacking in the athleticism area when you compare them to Adena. Curry is a beast, but when she has to go to the back row Westfall becomes less effective. Adena doesn't fall off as much when their hitters rotate to the back. 2 very good teams, but Adena is heading to the state. Good luck Warriors, represent the SVC well!

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Final fall show - we talk a lot of Adena/Westfall and look ahead to volleyball next fall . . . here is the link (football is first 15-20 minutes then volleyball)

http://www.dbkmediaservices.com/wordpre ... talk110314

Also coming to SVCsportszone.com tomorrow night...a look at Adena heading to the Final Four as well as a look back at an amazing year of SVC volleyball season. A lot of fun to write...X, I think you are growing on me because I started writing about SVC volleyball and just had all sorts of things to say. Again, lots of fun and I will post on website Tuesday night.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

Looking forward to the article.
One of the downsides to the
expanding svcsportszone.com
weekly podcast shows
is the fewer written reports
we get from the
Zones Think Tank.
The X likes the written word,
but I'm old school like that.
Not to take anything away
from the podcast,
for I enjoy them as well.
Just like I'm sure
the black smith
bought an automobile
as soon as he could,
even though he knew
that would mean one less
horse to shoe....

Good luck to the
Two Shades of Blue
That is a classy group of
Young ladies both on
And off the court.

X

warningtrackpower
All Conference

A look at the state-bound Adena squad and why more people should be watching...as well as a look back at a great year in the SVC -

http://www.svcsportszone.com/adenastatebound.html

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

warningtrackpower wrote:A look at the state-bound Adena squad and why more people should be watching...as well as a look back at a great year in the SVC -

http://www.svcsportszone.com/adenastatebound.html
Thank You,
Nicely done.
This article will be
Destine for many senior scrap books.

Bastogne
Freshman Team

Post by Bastogne »

Best wishes to the Adena Warriors. Represent your school and community well and represent the SE District well. It's always good seeing teams from the SE District show others from around the state that we can play volleyball or other sports!

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

The SVC in Tournaments:

State Semi:
Huron over Adena in 3
25-15, 25-17, 25-13

The SVC 16-8 in tournament play
3 matches SVC vs SVC

5 Sectional Titles
DIII
Southeastern
Huntington
Westfall
Adena

DII
Unioto

2 District Titles
DIII
Adena
Westfall

1 Regional Title
DIII
Adena

Sectional semi Results:
New Boston over Paint Valley in 3
Piketon over Peebles in 3
Athens over Zane Trace in 4
Unioto over Jackson in 3

Sectional Final Results:
Adena over West Union in 3
Westfall over Piketon in 3
Southeastern over River Valley in 3
Huntington over Eastern in 3
Unioto over Waverly in 3

District Semi results:
Adena over Portsmouth in 3
Westfall over Federal Hocking in 3
Southeastern over South Point in 3
The Burg over Huntington in 5
Unioto over Fairfield Union in 4

District Finals
Adena over Nelsonville York in 3
Westfall over Southeastern in 3
Athens over Unioto in 5

Regional Semi-Finals
Adena over Tuskawaras in 5
Westfall over Wheelersburg in 4

Regional Finals
Adena over Westfall in 4

State Semi Finals
Huron over Adena in 3

Another outstanding year of SVC volleyball

dawg catcher
Waterboy

Post by dawg catcher »

OK... now that the season is over, the dust has settled, awards have been handed out, I have a question for you SVC volleyball historians! This group of seniors have obviously enjoyed much success. Where collectively do they rank, in your opinions, in SVC history and where do the individual players stack up against the past greats of this league? This group has some great players with incredible statistics and unbelievable performances, but I have only really followed SVC volleyball for the last 4 or 5 years so I was just wondering how they stack up. Just some thoughts from me:

You have the elite players with great statistics and some unbelievable single game performances:
[b]Alexis Overly[/b] (Unioto) POY, exceptional performer all the way around
[b]Amanda Curry[/b] (Westfall) One of the most dominant net players I have ever seen
[b]Kirsten Dawson[/b] (Adena) Very intelligent player with the ability to hurt you in numerous ways
[b]Jenna Hutton[/b] (Adena) Probably pushes Overly for POY if not for an injury, another great all the way around performer
[b]Jessica Hutton[/b] (Adena) Another player with great offensive and defensive ability
[b]Emily Dresbach[/b] (Southeastern) Very underrated because she didn't have the team around her
[b]Alex Chaffin[/b] (Zane Trace) Absolutely carried her team
[b]Alayna Lytle[/b] (Huntington) ... Will let you tell me on this one, don't want to be biased... LOL

You then have players that would be absolute stars in most other years:
[b]Karli Bower[/b] (Adena) Stepped up HUGE on the biggest stages
[b]Taylor Overly [/b](Unioto) Unbelievable athlete and lefty to boot
[b]Makenna Steinbrook[/b] (Unioto) What a great year, and the only year she was a 5-1 setter
[b]Karee Neff[/b] (Unioto) Another player with great offensive and defensive abilities
[b]Emily Ward[/b] (Unioto) Great defensive player that understood her role and did it as well or better than anyone
[b][b]Hannah Wallace[/b][/b] (Westfall) One of the best blockers I have seen in a while
[b]Logan Goebel[/b] (Southeastern) If she played on a team where she could play her natural position of libero, how good would she be

And then players that are very talented, but because of the depth of talent get overshadowed a bit:
[b]Kelly Fuchs[/b] (Westfall)
[b]Hannah Nelson[/b] (Unioto)
[b]Anna Karr[/b] (Unioto)
[b]Allie Ray[/b] (Huntington)

I just mentioned 19 seniors that in most years any of them could/would of been all league. Many were left out of all league simply because of the depth of talent, but each of them are special players. So, you tell me, where do they stack up as individual players, as a collective group, and as teams? This group has been a part of 2 state appearances, at least 7 regional appearances, and to many district appearances to even count!

iknow
Freshman Team

Post by iknow »

Bud, you are spot on with your assessment of this years senior class. What an amazing group of talent, some of which will take their game to the next level. The loss of these graduating players will really be felt this fall as the teams once again take the court. Taking nothing away from any of the returning players, the league will definitely have a different feel to it next year.

Xtoxxviii
All State

Post by Xtoxxviii »

One thing is for sure the 2015 SVC volleyball edition will be better than the 2015 HBO edition of Game of Thrones.

*The Queen of Thorns getting tooled by Cersei and the High Septon.
Inconceivable.

*The covering of Sansa plot line?
What the Heck?
Who really believes she would travel back to Winterfell to marry the sadistic Bolton, Ramsey? Might of well just brought Michael Bolton in to sing "here comes the bride.". That would be just as believable.

*Stone men can swim? missed again show runners.

*Daenery fixing to marry that goofy guy from Meereen?

*Dorne and the sand snakes?
I'm lost is it one, two, or three sand snakes? Or is it four? I think the older woman/sand snake is their mother or aunt....
Heck there could be twenty of them but they all seem to be the same character to me. And the fight scene between them and Jamie/Bronn looked more like a bad MTV Kid and Play video from the 80's than what we have come to expect from Game of Thrones.

*Arya Stark at the house of Black and White. Being a huge Arya fan I would like to see more of this plot line played out.

The most disappointing however is this seasons lack of:
Lady Stone Heart
The Black Fish
The Kar-Starks
The Greyjoys
The Freys (not that I miss them but it's about time for some red wedding redemption)
The Hound (left for dead)
Mance (burned at the stake)
Ygritte (dead)
Gentry (lost at sea)
And of course
HODOR!

Maybe it would be best for HBO to halt production of the show till George RR Martin has finished the next book. Even the most casual of fans know this season is not up to standards set by the previous 4 seasons.

However
Like I have stated this coming years SVC volleyball will not disappoint.
Some will say the league is down, to them I scoff.
Now this years lot might not be as star studded as last season but make no mistakes the SVC will still be the best League in southern Ohio and we will have multiple SVC teams representing the league in the regionals and it would not be a surprise to see a taste of the SVC at the State level again.

My before the summer circuit predictions:

#1 Adena, no doubt about it the Lady's in the two shades of blue are back and ready to retake the league title they have missed out on for the past 3 seasons. Adena will not graduate a class of volleyball players that never wins the SVC in their four years of high school as long as coach Smith is in charge.

#2 Huntington, a lot of talent, getting them to play together will be the challenge.

#3 Unioto lost seven seniors from last years title team. Talent wise Unioto does not take as big of a hit as some will assume. The learning curve will be Leadership and each player learning their role and excepting their role. This will determine how successful the Tanks are on the season.

#4 Westfall lost a boat load of seniors as well but return the best overall player in the league, Hanna Phillips. How the rest of the cast picks up the speed of SVC varsity action will pace the Mustangs.

#5 Southeastern will be better, will be even better next season. Has the potential to move up from this spot.

#6 Piketon a year older and better. Like SE has the potential to move up, I will wait till after summer to see how the streaks have grown.

#7 ZT lost a lot to graduation coupled with no reserve squad from a season ago has the X wondering what Trace will be like. Always an athletic school so one is to assume they will compete with anybody in the league. I just don't know if they have "all around athletes" playing or athletic volleyball players.

#8 Paint Valley will bring in some freshmen that will impact the teams level of play from a season ago. I just don't think it will be enough to get them out of the cellar in this tuff of a league but look for the bearcats to make some noise in the tournament if they can stay healthy.

Only three episodes to go
And three months till the season starts
X

Return to “Volleyball”